Undubs not a concept?

coffeesash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By coffeesash

I requested to have Undub added as a concept. Undubbing is where fans take the English language version of the game and put the original Japanese language voices back in, thus 'un-dubbing' it.  It was rejected, is this because this is an unofficial practice like fansubbing of Mother 3 etc?

Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Endogene

Yep pretty mush, I added a comment when denying it. Should be in your e-mail box, perhaps your spam box.

coffeesash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By coffeesash

Hi, do you mean my PM box? It might be in my spam box as I didn't receive it. However, I don't see a spam box, only an Inbox, Outbox, Unread messages, Compose a Message

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 36

#4  Edited By LordAndrew

When he says e-mail, he means e-mail. There is no "spam" folder for PMs.

coffeesash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By coffeesash

Oh no, I never get any emails from giant bomb and I didn't get a pm for the rejection.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By LordAndrew

Back in the old days, my Giant Bomb approval / rejection notices went to my e-mail. My more recent Comic Vine and Anime Vice approval / Rejection notices went to my PM inbox. So I think they might be sent out as PMs nowadays.

Check your notification preferences. It's possible that wikid notifications might be set to "No".

coffeesash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By coffeesash

Everything's set to Yes and  I do get PM when stuff is approved..

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

This isn't prevalent in games much at all.  It's more so to do with anime tv series.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By LordAndrew
SmugDarkLoser said:
"This isn't prevalent in games much at all.  It's more so to do with anime tv series. "
You have no idea what an undub is, do you? As far as I can tell, this is a trend that occurs exclusively with video games. It would be pointless to do it with anime.
Pepsiman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 28

#10  Edited By Pepsiman

Indeed, it's a video game exclusive trend. You only need to hang out around the RPG game section of torrent sites in particular to really understand the implications of the term.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
LordAndrew said:
"SmugDarkLoser said:
"This isn't prevalent in games much at all.  It's more so to do with anime tv series. "
You have no idea what an undub is, do you? As far as I can tell, this is a trend that occurs exclusively with video games. It would be pointless to do it with anime.
"

apparently I'm a bit confused.
jlrm01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#12  Edited By jlrm01

This thread and Pepsiman's icon reminded me of one of Atlus USA representatives opinion on the matter of undubs (Persona 3 and 4 in this case): (NeoGAF link) see here. In case anyone was wondering what some people from actual companies think... sorry if I'm not supposed to link to GAF....

Pepsiman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 28

#13  Edited By Pepsiman
jlrm01 said:
"This thread and Pepsiman's icon reminded me of one of Atlus USA representatives opinion on the matter of undubs (Persona 3 and 4 in this case): (NeoGAF link) see here. In case anyone was wondering what some people from actual companies think... sorry if I'm not supposed to link to GAF....
"
As far as I know, it's perfectly fine to link to GAF, especially since the box art contest thread we have is based off of one of their own posts. Having said, I wasn't aware an Atlus employee had actually commented on the matter. It's nice to get their perspective on it, even if it is exactly the same opinion I have on the matter. Alas, though, I'll stop short of actually getting into a debate with someone about the practice, since this is only a thread about why an article about the subject was rejected.
coffeesash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By coffeesash

I am only wondering because we're not doing it, we'lre basically a video game encyclopedia and that Undubbing might be something someone would like to look up to see what it is. Why not let it be our traffic? There's lots of far more horrible or illegal things listed in Wikipedia. It's not like you're giving out links to do it or anything.

Quite honestly, I think that the Persona 3 and 4 dubs are fantastic, it would only be curiosity that would make me play an undub. Now that we've got bluray for PS3 RPGs, there's enough space to be able to choose both (Disgaea 3 has it, although so did Disgaea 1 on PS2....). I don't think giving an objective description on a video-game practice/hobby is harming anyone.

Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Endogene
coffeesash said:
"I am only wondering because we're not doing it, we'lre basically a video game encyclopedia and that Undubbing might be something someone would like to look up to see what it is. Why not let it be our traffic? There's lots of far more horrible or illegal things listed in Wikipedia. It's not like you're giving out links to do it or anything.

Quite honestly, I think that the Persona 3 and 4 dubs are fantastic, it would only be curiosity that would make me play an undub. Now that we've got bluray for PS3 RPGs, there's enough space to be able to choose both (Disgaea 3 has it, although so did Disgaea 1 on PS2....). I don't think giving an objective description on a video-game practice/hobby is harming anyone.
"
Well every game is "undubable" since undubbing something is just copying over code from one version to another so every game could be listed in that concept. A concept like "multiple audio tracks" (not sure if we have it) is fine since that is in the original non hacked version of the game, Street fighter 4 for example.

edit: something is horribly wrong with the notification system so that is why you did not get my message, sorry i was not aware of it until yesterday.
coffeesash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By coffeesash

No, an Undub is the actual finished product, a version of the game that is the japanese languqge with english subtitles and 'code'. There is very definitely only a limited, listable number of them.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By LordAndrew

But they can exist for any number of games. Giant Bomb doesn't cover undubs, fan translations, ROM hacks, or any other unauthorized stuff. There are pages for mods and mod support, but those are officially supported by the developers and not illegal.