Unpopular games that you have liked?

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#1  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Alright, there is at least one game (usually in a series), reviled by the fan base and rarely mentioned unless associated with the words "failure" or "black sheep" that you enjoyed, for some reason or another.

That doesn't mean that it's necessarily a bad game, but merely underrated. To stimulate your imagination, I will use the oft cited examples of Zelda II (I will also take Majora's Mask as an answer, even if I disagree) and Fallout Tactics (same).

Personally? I liked Resident Evil 0, which for some reason is always near the bottom of any RE classic purist's list.

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By The_A_Drain

Condemned, Bullet Witch, Kane and Lynch (as a game, the politics around it are another matter entirely), Quake 4, tons of others those are just the ones I see on my 360 shelf right now.

neoepoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By neoepoch

Star Wars: Bounty Hunter

cc23574

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By cc23574

SC Double Agent, I thought it was awesome!

Avatar image for gobiasindustries
GobiasIndustries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By GobiasIndustries

Ocarina of Time, Grand Theft Auto 3, Super Mario World.

clubsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By clubsandwich

resident evil 0, remake, the darkness, graw, graw 2.

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By The_A_Drain
@clubsandwich:

Since when was REmake unpopular? O_o that's news to me.
iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By iamjohn

Majora's Mask is the best LoZ game.

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By JoelTGM

Star Wars Jedi Knight Jedi Acadamy.  The xbox live multiplayer was so fun.

clubsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By clubsandwich
@The_A_Drain said:
" @clubsandwich: Since when was REmake unpopular? O_o that's news to me. "
I don't really mean unpopular, it's just that a lot of people think that re4 is the greatest re game, I just mean that it's not as popular as re4 and remake was more for the core fan base
Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Azteck

I'm gonna be so unpopular now but to hell with it. I fucking loved Assassin's Creed.

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By The_A_Drain
@clubsandwich said:
"
@The_A_Drain said:
I don't really mean unpopular, it's just that a lot of people think that re4 is the greatest re game, I just mean that it's not as popular as re4 and remake was more for the core fan base"

Any core Resi fan who likes Re4 over.. well.. any of them (with the exception of non main franchise titles, like Gaiden or Survivor etc, maybe Resi 3 and Code Veronica) is not a core Resi fan imo.
ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By ImperiousRix

Hardly anybody mentions Bully, but that was one of my favorite games on PS2.

clubsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By clubsandwich
@The_A_Drain said:
"
@clubsandwich said:
"
@The_A_Drain said:
I don't really mean unpopular, it's just that a lot of people think that re4 is the greatest re game, I just mean that it's not as popular as re4 and remake was more for the core fan base"
Any core Resi fan who likes Re4 over.. well.. any of them (with the exception of non main franchise titles, like Gaiden or Survivor etc, maybe Resi 3 and Code Veronica) is not a core Resi fan imo. "
agreed.
Pless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Pless
@GobiasIndustries said:
" Ocarina of Time, Grand Theft Auto 3, Super Mario World. "
i think you missed the topic-.-. it´s about unpopular games you like. the games you named are probably the most popular of all time.

i have to agree with The_A_Drain. condemned is such an awesome game but it´s pretty unpopular. it scared the hell out of me xD
jangofett88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By jangofett88

Project Sylpheed.

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By The_A_Drain
@Pless:

Yeah condemned scared the shit outta me, specially the manekins.

Pity about the sequel though, ridiculous dificulty level kept me from even getting far enough into the game to care about it.
SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

People seem to not read the titles now.  It's about unpopular games. 
Anyway, Blue Dragon. A  hugely polished light hearted classic rpg adventure.

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By The_A_Drain
@SmugDarkLoser:

I tried to enjoy that one I really tried. But theres only so many times a man can hear "I'll never give up!!!" being screamed by a seven year old (or a 38 year old woman voice acting a seven year old) without tearing off his own ears. That and the frame stutter caused by the shadows all being out at once during battle gave me headaches.

Weirdly though, I managed to enjoy Enchanted Arms. Like, really enjoyed it, couldn't put it down until I finished it, had to enable the jap voice acting though, the camp was funny but too embarrasing to let anyone else in my house hear :P
Optiow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20  Edited By Optiow

The Conflict series. A lot of games hate the series but I love it.

Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Stang

Any picross game. Those games are like crack.

fr0br0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By fr0br0

Those damn Harvest Moon games.

Avatar image for stephen_von_cloud
Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Off the top of my head: Dynasty Warriors and Soldiers: Heroes of World War II
VWGTI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By VWGTI

Star Wars Bounty Hunter, Psi-Ops, and Frequency/Amplitude.

Psyx2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Psyx2

Kirby: Canvas Curse, Super Mario Sunshine, Jersey Devil, Starfox Adventures, MDK2, Red Faction (the first 2), Quake 2, Crash Bash, No One Lives Forever 2.

There's plenty more, but those come to mind.

Dauragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Dauragon

Metroid Fusion remains my favourite metroid game. Majoras Mask is my favorite Zelda. I actually kind of enjoyed Devil May Cry 2 alot even though I knew it was pretty bad.

Osaladin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Osaladin

Star Wars: Republic Commando

Make another one, now.

Plasma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Plasma

Enter the Matrix

A time before the internet, before I knew of other peoples opinions, and I just enjoyed what I had.

dethfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#29  Edited By dethfish

I loved Assassin's Creed and Mirrors Edge. I don't know if those qualify as unpopular but a lot of people seem to have a dislike of those games.

Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Wolverine

I really liked Jet Set Radio Future for some reason. I really hope that Sega makes a sequal of that game for 360. 

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By jkz
@Plasma said:
" Enter the MatrixA time before the internet, before I knew of other peoples opinions, and I just enjoyed what I had. "
YES! and I don't even know why
Insectecutor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Insectecutor
Unreal. Never met anyone who liked this game, most say it was too hard (the AI would lead the target when firing rockets), or that it was boring. I bought it without knowing anything at all about it, and thought it was pure brilliance.

It had no intro or cutscenes whatsoever - the story is told through scripted sequences that occur in first-person, the writings of the primitive natives (who think you're some kind of god) and other survivors, and the environments you encounter. You start the game totally ignorant and learn what's going on only if you take the time to.

The quality of the visuals (at the time), the fantasy setting juxtaposed with the space tech, the beautiful vistas, imaginative maps, story told from two perspectives and the myriad of little touches make this a landmark game for me. Unreal 2 was rubbish, though.

@Dethfish77: I hear you. Mirrors Edge was great except for those awful cutscenes. I think a lot of people didn't get the combat - they thought you should be some sort of badass when you're clearly not. Most battles had to be won through outsmarting the rather basic AI. I hope the sequel will concentrate more on stealth action style combat rather than simply resorting to giving you a permanent gun.
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#33  Edited By AgentJ

Geist sold poorly and got pretty rough reviews, but that didn't stop me from loving every second of it, which is weird since i'm not a first person fan. The multiplayer was perfect in my eyes.

Also, Custom Robo was another one that didnt review well and doesnt seem to have a lot of fans. 
Others:
1080 Avalanche
Stuntman Ignition
CoverlessTech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By CoverlessTech
@cc23574 said:
" SC Double Agent, I thought it was awesome! "
You know what, I agree. Everyone ALWAYS seems to hate on this game but I actually enjoyed it.
dethfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#35  Edited By dethfish
@Insectecutor:  I thought Mirrors Edge was funner when I was going for the Don't Shoot A Gun achievement. It was much better just kicking dudes asses when necessary rather than shooting them. I agree, it'd suck if they make you have a gun in the next one. I also hope they don't change it from a 1st person view to a 3rd person view.
Insectecutor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Insectecutor
@Dethfish77: I really doubt they'd pull it out of 1st person: the 1st person perspective is the selling point, there are countless 3rd person "you're agile, check it out!" games. They could fix a lot of problems by just adding a Sands of Time/Braid-style rewind button.
Brundage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#37  Edited By Brundage

.hack

Matt_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Matt_

Blitz: The League. I was way into that game for the stupid over-the-top brutality and doping.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
@jukezypoo said:
"
@Plasma said:
" Enter the MatrixA time before the internet, before I knew of other peoples opinions, and I just enjoyed what I had. "
YES! and I don't even know why
"
Wait, that scored low? *checks*  holy shit!?

Also, as others hae said, double agent is good, although i feel like some parts were iffy (the latter half of the snow mission in particular) and while it didn't feel aged, I would like them to lean more away from the formula.
Avatar image for origina1penguin
Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Origina1Penguin
1, 2, 3

For me, Conan.  I enjoyed that game.
alsnuts2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By alsnuts2

I really enjoyed Mirrors Edge.

I think the bad parts made up a very small portion of the whole game.

RetroIce4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By RetroIce4

Glover (Don't ask)

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#43  Edited By Sooperspy
@Azteck: I also loved that game, and I liked Resident Evil 0
jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By jkz
@CoverlessTech said:
"
@cc23574 said:
" SC Double Agent, I thought it was awesome! "
You know what, I agree. Everyone ALWAYS seems to hate on this game but I actually enjoyed it. "
Hey, another game I, too, loved, and I've been a fan of splinter-cell since the release-date of its first iteration. I also loved a game, who's name I am having trouble remembering, it was Mizt or Myzt, or Mist, or Myst, I dunno. It was NOT the point and click adventure though, it was a point and click brawler with what I thought was a GREAT story, and one of the first games I played that had a pretty deep moral-choice system.

If anyone knows of the name, and tells me, I will personally walk to your house and hand you a cookie-pie
Pepsiman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 28

#45  Edited By Pepsiman

As somebody already pointed out, Bully is a pretty damn great game in its own right. For me, it proved that the GTA formula could still work really well in a relatively lighter setting and still maintain the great writing. Plus, as somebody who attended a private school for nearly a decade, I really appreciated the satire revolving around such a school environment.

God Hand also comes to mind for me, as it was almost certainly the one Clover game which got a lot less attention compared to its predecessors. It's definitely their most controversial game when it comes to how good it actually, but I for one really enjoyed the combat despite the high difficulty. That, and the story was so wonderfully ridiculous that I couldn't help but love every minute of it.

I suppose I could throw in Killer 7 since that was also pretty controversial in the reviews, too. Really unconventional control scheme movement-wise, but the fact that the game was just unabashedly insane and did nothing whatsoever to dispel was something I appreciated. I never got around to finishing it, but I also did find the story to be pretty interesting, too, and I actually found it to be comprehensible somehow. Odd.

The only other ones I can think of are super obscure imports that even the otaku circles haven't really noticed yet. Tomato Adventure was the predecessor to the Mario and Luigi games in terms of gameplay mechanics (same developer, too) and it's probably the only RPG off the top of my head I'd personally recommend for importers wanting an RPG where the language barrier is almost a non-issue. Then there's Napoleon, which was a pretty interesting RTS experiment Nintendo did on the GBA back at its Japanese launch. And I suppose I'll throw in Vib-Ribbon, too. I believe it actually came out in Europe, so some people from there are probably familiar with it anyway, but I found it to be a fun take on the music genre and the improvised track layouts are usually pretty good, too.

Hell, let's throw in the very game my username jokingly references: Pepsiman. The gameplay itself is pretty bad, but the deliberately cheesy voice acting and FMV sequences give the game its own charm anyway.
toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By toowalrus

Mercenaries 2 was an awesome game, I honestly don't understand the hate. Sure, it was a bit repetitive, but they complaints about glitches were blown completely out of proportion. I loved that game.

gormers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By gormers
@Wolverine said:
" I really liked Jet Set Radio Future for some reason. I really hope that Sega makes a sequal of that game for 360.  "
Who didnt.

I actually kinda liked Wii Fit :S

And:
Worms 3D (every gamer I know says that worms went wrong with 3D, I beg to differ),
Worms Blast,
Mirrors Edge (a lot),
Lost Odyssey (bad reviews),
Fur Fighters (bad reviews)
King Kong (hated by every gamer I know),
The first Harry potter games,
SSX Blur (loved the controls), and last but not least,
Red Steel (very immersive and entertaining).

I also enjoyed Twilight Princess much more than Wind Waker (had not played any other Zelda game before).
ErgoProxy77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#48  Edited By ErgoProxy77

Tenchu Z gets a bad rap, but I like it.

Avatar image for cleverloginname
CleverLoginName

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By CleverLoginName

Ghost Recon 2 for the PS2, bought that before i knew what a port was. I don't know why but I got way into the multiplayer. Maybe it was just to spite Ubisoft for ripping me off and force them to keep running servers, anyway, I got to a point where I was 61st on the leaderboard. Of course, only like five thousand people ever played it online.

rateoforange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#50  Edited By rateoforange

Senko no Ronde.