Updating my video card

raidingkvatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By raidingkvatch

I'm planning on getting a new video card for my PC (I currently have an NVIDIA GeForce 6100 nForce 405) so that I can actually play new games on my PC. This is primarily to allow me to play Dragon Age on PC, but I would also like to be able to play most other new games (specifically need to be able to play StarCraft II whenever the Hell it comes out), but it doesn't need to be totally top of the line or anything, just adequate, I'd really appreciate help and suggestions for what to get, please keep in mind I know next to nothing about computers so use small words my puny mind will be able to understand

DCFGS3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By DCFGS3

Well, it is top of the line, but definitely worth it; the ATI Radeon 5870. This is your best bet, as it'll last you for a good while and then you can always Crossfire it, plus it's currently the only Graphics card that supports DirectX 11. (It's little brother the 5850 may also support DirectX 11).

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Evilsbane
@raidingkvatch: Whats the spec on the rest of your computer : Power Supply, and the type of slot on your motherboard where your new graphics card would go?  But you do realize that the 6100 is not an actual graphics card that is an integrated card on your motherboard it has no power whatsoever.
raidingkvatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By raidingkvatch
@Evilsbane: No, I neither realised, nor do I understand, that. My full specs from X-Fire are: 
Manufacturer: MSI
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+, MMX, 3DNow (2 CPUs), ~2.2GHz
Memory: 1984MB RAM
Hard Drive: 370 GB Total
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 6100 nForce 405
Monitor: Plug and Play Monitor
Sound Card: Realtek HD Audio output
Speakers/Headphones: Logitech 5.1
Keyboard: USB Root Hub
Mouse: USB Root Hub
Mouse Surface:
Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.090206-1234)
Motherboard:
Computer Case:
Black_Raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Black_Raven

How old is your PC? Because it's possible your motherboard doesn't have a PCI-E slot, which is the interface used by modern graphics cards. You current GPU is located on the motherboard and not on it's own separate board (if you open your PC case you'll actually see there is no graphics card). You have a decent CPU and enough ram so buying a new motherboard that supports the latest graphics cards is your best option, and it doesn't need to cost much. 

If you want to find out stuff about your PC, download a program like EVEREST. EVEREST will list your hardware specs and will tell you whether your motherboard has PCI-E slots, which is what you want.

Slippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Slippy

Try an ATi 4870 1GB or an Nvidia GTX 260-core 216. Modest prices, lots of horsepower. Any lower into the range, you get less bang for your buck imo, and any higher, the performance gains start to slow and your CPU may even become a bottleneck. You might need a new power supply too, 500w will be what you're aiming at. And as said, check your mobo has a PCI-E 2.0 slot.
Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Geno

There's no point in upgrading your GPU with that little bit of RAM, you're going to need at least 2GB more. As for your GPU it would help to know your power supply; if it's 300 or something which is what I'm presuming it's not going to be able to handle modern cards. 

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8  Edited By Driadon
@Geno said:
" There's no point in upgrading your GPU with that little bit of RAM, you're going to need at least 2GB more. As for your GPU it would help to know your power supply; if it's 300 or something which is what I'm presuming it's not going to be able to handle modern cards.  "
He's running XP, he only needs 2GB, 3 tops. most of any past 3 won't be recognized and used appropriately. As for a card, a great bang-for-the-buck one out there is the Radeon 4770. It doesn't need a whole lot of wattage from the power supply and can play anything on the market quite well, plus it's in the $90 - 110 range to boot.