#1 Posted by markini6 (447 posts) -

Just wondered what the consensus is over here in GB land. I had the day one with free Fifa 14 preordered, but today in the UK they're now doing day one with free Forza, so I've switched to that. Over on NeoGaf people are moaning about how MS are shafting the US, their biggest market, but all of them seem to be ignoring that in the UK we're paying $670.23 (based on current exchange rates). I have to admit that I'm pretty ignorant (read: completely ignorant) about tax in the US, so are we really paying $170 more than you (with regards to a price of $499), or is it less than that? At current rates, a PS4 is more expensive here than a One in the US, so do you feel slighted by the lack of free game, or do you accept its absence in the place of better value?

#2 Posted by jimmyfenix (3859 posts) -

Since Europe is mostly Sony run MS will do anything to get European buyers. Likewise how Sony is releasing the PS4 first in the US cause they want to get the US buyers back. Europe can get shafted from time to time weather it be Game releases or Console releases (Im looking at you PS3). Its great to see Europe get some perks.

#3 Posted by AlexW00d (6389 posts) -

I think sales tax in the US is about 9% (nothing on our 20%) so even with that, we're still paying $120 more than a country who on average earns more than us, and pays much less than us in living costs. BUT WE GET A FREE GAME SO WHO CARES RIGHT?

#4 Edited by BigJeffrey (5149 posts) -
#5 Edited by Rorie (3173 posts) -

@alexw00d: Sales tax in the US varies from state to state and sometimes county by county. Some states have 0% sales tax, some have really high taxes, like CA, at 7.5%.

http://www.salestaxinstitute.com/resources/rates

I have no problem with them packing a game into the overseas systems. Seems like a nice thing to do considering how much more expensive those systems are going to be in real-world terms.

Staff
#6 Posted by Nightriff (5257 posts) -

I still love the fact that a PS4 with FIFA is cheaper than the Xone, no matter what country

#7 Posted by MikkaQ (10336 posts) -

I wouldn't hesitate to get an Xbox One on day one if it came with Forza free. It would make up for the price difference between that and the PS4 in my mind.

But it won't happen here so I'll get the PS4 for now and wait for them to bundle Forza in North America. It will happen eventually, my 360 came with Forza 2.

#8 Edited by senrat (328 posts) -

No, I don't feel slighted. Neogaf is apparently made up of a bunch of crying teenagers these days. Microsoft needs to make up ground in Europe if they hope to compete, and they need to add value to the console to make up the difference in price between territories. I hadn't heard about the free forza though, honestly that might have been enough to make me buy day one. I played a god damned embarrassing amount of Forza 4.

#9 Posted by TyCobb (1976 posts) -

I'd buy an Xbox one at launch if it came with free Forza. Love that series. Anyone know if the racing wheel from 360 will work with the Xbox one? I know the controllers don't, but hoping there is a slim chance that it does so I don't have to wait forever for a decent racing wheel to get introduced.

#10 Posted by wjb (1689 posts) -

By the time I get around to purchasing an Xbox One here in America, a bundle will probably exist.

"Enjoy your Fable bundle pack!"

Noooooooooooooo!

#11 Posted by BigJeffrey (5149 posts) -

Sales tax where I live is 9.25. LA

#12 Posted by Sergio (2202 posts) -

I don't like either Forza or Fifa, so not bothered at all.

#13 Edited by PenguinDust (12604 posts) -

Yikes! That's nearly a dime on top of every dollar. That's crazy.

#14 Posted by Duecenage (225 posts) -

British Columbia, 12% tax up here. Though only 5% in Alberta I think.. those jerks... *shakes fist* Though I did use that when I bought my PS3, it was nice saving 7% on the taxes on that one.

#15 Edited by rachelepithet (1392 posts) -

I dont think thats gonna be the full Forza 5, but a prologue style Essentials game like they did with Forza 4. So you'll still need a $50-ish unlock.

#16 Edited by Blu3V3nom07 (4297 posts) -

I'd take a new.. Any launch game really!.. Seriously, NBA Live or Forza would seem alright.. :O..

Texas does 8.25 percent tax.

#17 Edited by ShadowConqueror (3083 posts) -

Nope. I wouldn't play it if it came with it anyway.

Also, there's no sales tax in my state. Woohoo!

#18 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7099 posts) -

@wjb said:

By the time I get around to purchasing an Xbox One here in America, a bundle will probably exist.

Noooooooooooooo!

"Enjoy your Kinectimals 2 bundle!"

*gunshot*

#20 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3908 posts) -

Well I'm Canadian but I also don't get the benefit of a free game and honesty I don't care that much. Would be cool but I'm not gonna complain about it. Would be one thing if a pack in was the norm but unfortunately that went away a while ago.

#21 Edited by GreggD (4510 posts) -

8% up here in Upstate NY.

#22 Edited by LiquidPrince (16123 posts) -

@rorie said:

@alexw00d: Sales tax in the US varies from state to state and sometimes county by county. Some states have 0% sales tax, some have really high taxes, like CA, at 7.5%.

I have no problem with them packing a game into the overseas systems. Seems like a nice thing to do considering how much more expensive those systems are going to be in real-world terms.

Pfft...7.5%. Up here in good ole Canada, we pay %13 sales tax, down from %15 from a couple years ago.

#23 Posted by isomeri (1390 posts) -

@rorie said:

Pfft...7.5%. Up here in good ole Canada, we pay %13 sales tax, down from %15 from a couple years ago.

Pfft... 13%. Up here in good ole Finland, we pay 24% sales tax.

I haven't heard of this Forza bundle you guys are talking about. I have no interest in Fifa, but apparently I'm getting it with my Xbox One.

#24 Posted by Shoey920 (58 posts) -

I'm not really concerned about it, but if people want to complain enough that I get a free copy of Madden 25 that'd be pretty rad.

#25 Posted by Rahvar (24 posts) -

I've got 25% sales tax here in Sweden, that includes pretty much everything.... including cars.. do the math

#26 Edited by DarthOrange (3878 posts) -

@wjb said:

Noooooooooooooo!

"Enjoy your Kinectimals 2 bundle!"

*gunshot*

http://replygif.net/i/109.gif

#27 Posted by rubzo (43 posts) -

@penguindust said:

@bigjeffrey said:

Yikes! That's nearly a dime on top of every dollar. That's crazy.

Thanks, I'm not sure I would've understood what 9.25% sales tax meant if you hadn't said this!

#28 Posted by Church069 (250 posts) -

On the surface level, seeing Europe get a (I guess an equivalent to a pack-in game) is kind of a bummer to US consumers, but when currency exchange rates and taxes are taken into account, it becomes more understandable. Having Forza packed in would have been nice though since I was already planning on getting it anyway, but I'm willing to pay for it.

I just got back from a vacation in Europe, and that trip made me realize just how damn expensive everything is over there compared to the US, not just video games. I will never take free refills on drinks for granted again.

#29 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

@church069 said:

I just got back from a vacation in Europe, and that trip made me realize just how damn expensive everything is over there compared to the US, not just video games. I will never take free refills on drinks for granted again.

It's hard to compare though because you have to take into account US wages and then more boring stuff. On the surface though stuff appears cheaper for sure, although it's not as good as it used to be thanks to exchange rates, I remember when $100 US was around £50, it was insane. Basically stuff was half the price in the US than it was in the UK, I used to come back with laptops, iPods and stuff when I visited there. Now with sales tax added, most stuff is only marginally cheaper.

#30 Posted by Linkster7 (1043 posts) -

Just shooting in Norway's 25% sales taxes, don't get me started on the liqueur taxes

#31 Posted by MonkeyKing1969 (2972 posts) -

In every territory there are 'the good' and 'the bad' aspects to gaming there. In North American so many games, system, peripherals come out first here, so why complain about our lot in life. In N. American games are less expensive, the internet is cheaper, and unless you live in "the sticks" your access to games, systems, and the network is great.

As for those game being packed in for free for first run launch systems in Europe, well, that's good for US Bombers too. Not to put too fine a point on it, but XBox One stumbling ANYWHERE is bad for the worldwide XBox One community. Count your blessing that MS is fighting for territories if you want a strong Xbox One.

#32 Posted by ThePickle (4190 posts) -

Microsoft would do well to bring that offer to the US. Fifa is actually pretty big here (well bigger than you'd expect consider how little we care about soccer) and we love cars. They'd still be able to charge $500 and keep Kinect in the box if they tossed in two free games.

#33 Posted by Hunkulese (2842 posts) -

Microsoft would do well to bring that offer to the US. Fifa is actually pretty big here (well bigger than you'd expect consider how little we care about soccer) and we love cars. They'd still be able to charge $500 and keep Kinect in the box if they tossed in two free games.

They don't need to. North America is Xbox country. They'll have no trouble selling every console they can produce for months.

#34 Posted by ThePickle (4190 posts) -

@thepickle said:

They don't need to. North America is Xbox country. They'll have no trouble selling every console they can produce for months.

They have lost some ground to Sony in the past few months though. It won't be domination either way in NA, so you need to take every advantage you can, and two free games from two very popular franchises is a great advantage. This time the consoles will be launching at similar times and $100 more for a dopey peripheral is giving Sony the edge.

#35 Edited by AlexGlass (688 posts) -

@nightriff said:

I still love the fact that a PS4 with FIFA is cheaper than the Xone, no matter what country

I'm starting to see this all the time here, even though the PS4 is irrelevant to the topic. To your post, you get what you pay for. Less hardware with fewer features. You're not getting the tech that's in the Xbox one. You may not care about Kinect, but stop acting like it's the same thing or Kinect and all the cool high tech feature of the Xbox One don't exist. You're not getting the same thing for $400. Kinect, gesture recognition, voice recognition, Kinect-only games, Kinect/controller game. In all honest there will be an entire line-up of games that are unique and different by the end of this generation not even possible on the PS4. Don't expect the same thing just because the PS4 has an Eyetoy accessory that you have to pay for extra anyway. The gap in support and line-up of games will be massive.

To answer the OP's question yes and no. Would love a free game but it doesn't bother me as much that Europe is getting it. It's more expensive there.

But the biggest difference of why it doesn't bother me so much now is because there's also a lot of free to play games or huge demos like K.I. this generation that's never really been the case at launch before.. Your really don't have to buy a game at launch right away if you want to play some games on the the thing. That part is very different than 8 years ago. So I don't think the entry price will necessarily be much different for some people. You don't really need to do the console + game addition this time around. If you want to play some games on the Xbox One, you can wait a week or two for the game and pony up for the hardware first. You'll still have something to try out and play as soon as you get home that can keep you busy for some time. Along with a lot of other features. And with other free to play games like Project Spark, it's really a great value, imo. So no, it doesn't bother me. But I want to bitch about it and get it anyway. I mean who doesn't like free stuff? :)

#36 Posted by SpaceInsomniac (3885 posts) -

@markini6 said:

Just wondered what the consensus is over here in GB land. I had the day one with free Fifa 14 preordered, but today in the UK they're now doing day one with free Forza, so I've switched to that. Over on NeoGaf people are moaning about how MS are shafting the US, their biggest market, but all of them seem to be ignoring that in the UK we're paying $670.23 (based on current exchange rates). I have to admit that I'm pretty ignorant (read: completely ignorant) about tax in the US, so are we really paying $170 more than you (with regards to a price of $499), or is it less than that? At current rates, a PS4 is more expensive here than a One in the US, so do you feel slighted by the lack of free game, or do you accept its absence in the place of better value?

And that's exactly what I entered this thread to say.

Also, if you're in the US, and you want a game console with a free racing game, we have a product for that. It's called a PlayStation 4.