• 58 results
#1 Edited by TheBlue (380 posts) -

I didn't see this posted anywhere else, so I thought I'd give a heads up. So in celebration of Golden Week, the US PSN is holding a sale of Japanese games. Lotta neat stuff in here. It starts tomorrow, the 29th, and runs till May 5th.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/04/28/golden-week-sale-celebrates-japanese-games-2/

I've been looking for an excuse to add Muramasa and Ys to my Vita collection. 50 to 70% off seems like a good excuse. Also, super annoyed that I just bought Danganronpa not 4 days ago.

#2 Posted by Sterling (2363 posts) -

Glad I held off on buying Tales collection. That is a pretty sweet price for something that came out a few weeks ago.

#3 Edited by SMTDante89 (2582 posts) -

I'll probably pick up Tales of Symphonia Collection despite already picking up the original ToS from the store. Even though the sequel is supposed to be terrible, getting it half-off might make it a less bitter pill to swallow.

#4 Posted by slyspider (1240 posts) -

I own most of these games. Darn. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD BUY MURAMASA SO THEY MAKE ANOTHER ONE

#5 Edited by GorillaMoPena (2170 posts) -

I assume that Hot Shots game is good if I used to like Hot Shots right?

#6 Edited by Demoskinos (14886 posts) -

Just got my vita today. Think I'll pick up Muramasa and Persona 4.

#7 Posted by FriendlyPhoenix (424 posts) -

I'm buying the hell out of that Tales of Symphonia Collection and Muramasa. Very happy that I held off on getting the former when it came out.

#8 Posted by Roboculus92 (520 posts) -

Oh man, that's a nice price on MGS HD collection. I recently bought a copy of MGS Legacy collection (still unopened) and I might just return it and pick this up and a used copy of MGS 4 instead (already have MGS 1 and VR missions though I haven't touched them yet) due to how much cheaper it would be. Might also pick up Chrono Cross and Persona 4 Golden.

#9 Posted by mosespippy (4210 posts) -

Is it just me or are we getting some sort of Sony sale all the time? I can't remember the last time I heard about a sale on Xbox platforms. Is Sony really going hard at Microsoft in the digital space? Or are they just trying to reach parity with Steam?

#10 Posted by awesomeusername (4194 posts) -

Is it just me or are we getting some sort of Sony sale all the time? I can't remember the last time I heard about a sale on Xbox platforms. Is Sony really going hard at Microsoft in the digital space? Or are they just trying to reach parity with Steam?

Both? Sony always has sales. Like twice a month. Some months have sales every week. Definitely love that Sony is pushing the hell out of digital. Also, like 99.99% of all indie games always come out a couple bucks off on sale for that first week. Yay digital!

#11 Posted by GrantHeaslip (1616 posts) -

I should stick to playing SNES Chrono Trigger on the Virtual Console right? $3.50 and the ability to play on the Vita is alluring, but I've heard stuff about the load times and butchered music on the PS1 version.

@sterling said:

Glad I held off on buying Tales collection. That is a pretty sweet price for something that came out a few weeks ago.

Yeah, totally. Even though I had no intention of playing Dawn of the New World, it's half the price of what I would have paid for just the original.

#12 Posted by StarvingGamer (8287 posts) -

Holy shit Armored Core: Verdict Day is only $5? Fuck yeahhhhhhhhh!

I might go ahead and pick up DMCHD MGSHD and Symphonia to celebrate.

#13 Posted by Jesus_Phish (883 posts) -

Really hoping some of these make it over to Europe, haven't seen anything suggesting it will yet. Having said that, our Easter sale was announced a day or two after the US one.

#14 Edited by SittingDuckz (17 posts) -

Is rain any good? It looks interesting, and at $3.75 I'm tempted to just impulse buy it.

#15 Posted by xyzygy (10008 posts) -

Golden Week is a real thing? I honestly thought it was something they made up for P4. Wish some of these were on the EU store. We're still on the damn Easter sale :P

#16 Posted by hollitz (1537 posts) -

Man, I really have to watch myself with this sale.

For now I'll commit to just Tales of Symphonia.

#17 Edited by ThunderSlash (1754 posts) -

Damn that was quick. That Tales of collection was just released like less than a month ago. I might get Soul Calibur V, anyone know if the online is still active?

#18 Posted by Nightriff (5097 posts) -

Should I get Chrono Cross?

#19 Edited by ViciousBearMauling (1120 posts) -

@nightriff: Some monsters might tell you that Chrono Cross is a good game. Punch them in their stupid faces.

#20 Posted by TooWalrus (13220 posts) -

Thanks for the heads up, I haven't played the MGS HD collection, maybe I'll pick it up.

#21 Posted by Fattony12000 (7460 posts) -
#22 Posted by ripelivejam (4079 posts) -

dammit i should've waited for P4G maybe

#23 Posted by Demoskinos (14886 posts) -

@thunderslash: I think its still active but its only by a few really dedicated fans. So basically everyone left playing is bound to be super good at the game.

#24 Posted by MetalBaofu (1393 posts) -

Yeah, Sony has been pretty good at having sales pretty regularly. I've gotten a lot of games that way. Out of this sale, I really want to try and get Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross, as well as Soulcalibur V and Tales of Symphonia. It'll be about 22 bucks for all of those, which I think is pretty good.

#25 Edited by amp_1986 (82 posts) -

Sony has had some pretty good sales lately. I'm probably going to pick up the MGS collections and possibly rain.

#26 Posted by Capum15 (4907 posts) -

The two things that interest me most are the Battle of Z (depending if a friend gets it too) and Chrono Trigger games.

All I've really seen on the Internet that's crappy about Chrono Trigger is the load times. Anything else bad about it, does anyone know? And what type of load times (like, battle transitions and stuff)?

#27 Edited by Flappy (2277 posts) -

Time to get MGR:R and Muramasa!

#29 Edited by Roboculus92 (520 posts) -

Vagrant Story is also on sale for $2.99 if you're interested. Not sure why it's not being advertised.

#30 Posted by NegativeCero (3005 posts) -

I bought Chrono Cross and Muramasa. I'll probably break down and get Ys: Memories of Celceta before this is over too.

#31 Posted by Fredchuckdave (5554 posts) -
#32 Edited by believer258 (11949 posts) -

@grantheaslip said:

I should stick to playing SNES Chrono Trigger on the Virtual Console right? $3.50 and the ability to play on the Vita is alluring, but I've heard stuff about the load times and butchered music on the PS1 version.

@sterling said:

Yeah, totally. Even though I had no intention of playing Dawn of the New World, it's half the price of what I would have paid for just the original.

If you're going to restart Chrono Trigger, settle for nothing less than the stellar DS version.

@viciousbearmauling said:

@nightriff: Some monsters might tell you that Chrono Cross is a good game. Punch them in their stupid faces.

I need to know.

Also, guys, Ys: Memories of Celceta? Was not impressed. I don't think it's a bad game and I'm going to play more of it, but so far it's just really grindy and, despite not looking all that great, it doesn't run so well.

I'm thinking hard about Tales of Symphonia.

#33 Edited by ViciousBearMauling (1120 posts) -

I need to know.

Be my guest, you'll only leave the experience with the knowledge of just how hard you need to punch their stupid faces.

Eat It Chrono Cross Fans
#34 Edited by believer258 (11949 posts) -

@believer258 said:

I need to know.

Be my guest, you'll only leave the experience with the knowledge of just how hard you need to punch their stupid faces.

Eat It Chrono Cross Fans

You mean you don't have a gif of a vicious bear mauling somebody?

#35 Edited by ViciousBearMauling (1120 posts) -

@believer258: Just got out of a Jojo's Bizarre Adventure thread... I couldn't help it.

Here, Take THIS Chrono Cross Fans!
#36 Edited by LiquidPrince (15969 posts) -

I love PS+. God I love it.

#37 Posted by GrantHeaslip (1616 posts) -

@believer258 said:

@grantheaslip said:

@sterling said:

If you're going to restart Chrono Trigger, settle for nothing less than the stellar DS version.

I've never played it! I've heard that the DS version is better in a bunch of ways, but I want to experience the game in its original form. If the PS1 version wasn't so (reportedly) busted, I'd have settled for it as it sounds like a pretty straight port.

#38 Posted by NegativeCero (3005 posts) -

@viciousbearmauling: You know what, you're probably right about Chrono Cross. I tried it a long time ago and just remember getting lost and having no idea what was going on. I still feel like I need definitive proof of whether I hated it or if I just had a short attention span at the time.

#39 Posted by believer258 (11949 posts) -

@believer258 said:

@grantheaslip said:

@sterling said:

I've never played it! I've heard that the DS version is better in a bunch of ways, but I want to experience the game in its original form. If the PS1 version wasn't so (reportedly) busted, I'd have settled for it as it sounds like a pretty straight port.

After finishing Chrono Trigger on the DS, I had the same interest, so I went and got an ISO that had been prepared for use on a PSP off of... well, "the internet"... and put it on my modified PSP. And playing Chrono Trigger on that was not painful. I had heard about the load times as well, but I didn't experience any problems there. I mention all that stuff about getting the game off of the internet because maybe something about a CFW-enabled PSP and/or that funny copy fixes those issues somehow? What, it happened with the PSP version of Final Fantasy Tactics?

Anyway, it's a safe bet that that isn't actually the case and the PS1 version of Chrono Trigger is fine. I would really urge you to play that DS version, though, especially if you've got a 3DS XL where it looks even better and it has been re-translated. Also, this version is only $3.50 right now and if it turns out to be problematic, then $3.50 isn't much of a loss. You'd probably feel guiltier spending that on a fast-food meal.

#40 Posted by ThunderSlash (1754 posts) -

Love it or hate it, Chrono Cross has one of the best soundtracks that Square has ever produced.

#41 Edited by Jesus_Phish (883 posts) -

Good news everybody!!

The EU store is going to update later with their own sale on Ubisoft franchises for two weeks.

But better than that, P4G is also on sale for €19.99 + 10% extra off for PS+ members. Time to finally buy this and see what ya'll are raving about.

#42 Edited by Nightriff (5097 posts) -

@believer258: Just got out of a Jojo's Bizarre Adventure thread... I couldn't help it.

Here, Take THIS Chrono Cross Fans!

That is just adorable

#43 Posted by MetalBaofu (1393 posts) -

Also, guys, Ys: Memories of Celceta? Was not impressed. I don't think it's a bad game and I'm going to play more of it, but so far it's just really grindy and, despite not looking all that great, it doesn't run so well.

I don't remember grinding at all when I played Memories of Celceta. Also don't remember any kind of performance problems. It's one of my favorite games I've played on my Vita, albeit that's not really a long list.

#44 Posted by Sherlock22 (29 posts) -

@believer258 said:

I don't remember grinding at all when I played Memories of Celceta. Also don't remember any kind of performance problems. It's one of my favorite games I've played on my Vita, albeit that's not really a long list.

I also just bought and played a little of Ys. It doesn't seem to be as grindy as the past games, but I definitely had to grind out two levels to even stand a chance against the first boss (nightmare mode). The framerate inside the town is atrocious (It looks like it drops just below or above 20 fps) especially for how the game looks, but otherwise I haven't had any technical issues so far.

#45 Posted by believer258 (11949 posts) -

@metalbaofu said:

@believer258 said:

I also just bought and played a little of Ys. It doesn't seem to be as grindy as the past games, but I definitely had to grind out two levels to even stand a chance against the first boss (nightmare mode). The framerate inside the town is atrocious (It looks like it drops just below or above 20 fps) especially for how the game looks, but otherwise I haven't had any technical issues so far.

It's not bad, I just wish it performed better. And what I have played of it does feel grindy.

I haven't played enough to determine if I really like it, but first impressions were kinda meh. I do think it has potential, which is why I'm not forgetting about it, but it's not exactly high on my priority list.

#46 Posted by JimiPeppr (319 posts) -

Picked up Muramasa last night. It's real purty. (also, everyone should play Persona 4 Golden)

#47 Posted by IamTerics (415 posts) -

I bought and played Armoed Core. Had more fun with it than I thought I would. Seems like that game just slipped by last year.

#48 Posted by MetalBaofu (1393 posts) -

@sherlock22 said:

@metalbaofu said:

@believer258 said:

It's not bad, I just wish it performed better. And what I have played of it does feel grindy.

I haven't played enough to determine if I really like it, but first impressions were kinda meh. I do think it has potential, which is why I'm not forgetting about it, but it's not exactly high on my priority list.

Weird. I never had to grind at all(or such a small amount that I don't remember doing it), though I was playing on just normal. I've started a NG+ on the hardest difficulty, but haven't gone back to it in awhile. Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but I really don't remember any framerate issues at all. I remember it running pretty smooth. Now you guys have me wanting to pop it back in and see if I've gone crazy or something.

#49 Posted by believer258 (11949 posts) -

@believer258 said:

@sherlock22 said:

@metalbaofu said:

@believer258 said:

Weird. I never had to grind at all(or such a small amount that I don't remember doing it), though I was playing on just normal. I've started a NG+ on the hardest difficulty, but haven't gone back to it in awhile. Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but I really don't remember any framerate issues at all. I remember it running pretty smooth. Now you guys have me wanting to pop it back in and see if I've gone crazy or something.

Also note that when I played it, I was jumping between it, Persona 4 Golden (which runs beautifully) and PC gaming, so perhaps it felt worse than it really was to me.

I know that running around town was pretty bad, but I didn't really mind that. It's worth noting that I never found it unplayably bad.

Also, I put the game down because I got stuck, which might also be why I didn't have a great impression.

#50 Posted by MetalBaofu (1393 posts) -

@believer258: Yeah, I've never been one to notice frame rate stuff unless it gets really bad, so maybe I just never noticed. I wasn't anything other than Ys at the time either, so I could have just gotten used to it too. Either way, I really enjoyed that game enough to buy it(I had originally rented it from Gamefly). I'm probably going to pop it back in pretty soon just to run around town and see if I notice anything. You've got me curious about it. I'd probably do it right this minute, but I'm currently playing Conception 2.