USA to pal region snes and sega genesis

friendlypossum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hey duders,

I'll be in the US soon and wanted to take advantage of the retro gaming market there. I live in Australia and as such are on PAL region coding, my question is what do I need to get US games running on my snes and Genesis? I have seen a Japanese to pal cartridge extender, will that work?

Thanks!

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

You're right that to get US SNES carts to fit in a PAL system, you need an extension between the cart slot and the game, like a game genie or something, but it's not necessarily as simple as just making the cart fit. You also need to actually mod the system if you want the games to run properly at 60hz etc, which requires taking it apart and doing some soldering, as far as I'm aware. I think it might work without the mod, but everything will run about 20% slower. Might just be easier to just buy a US SNES, although I don't know how much they go for. Other options would be to get some sort of clone system that plays SNES carts or something like a Retron (although the coverage on GB made the Retron5 look like garbage) or get a Japanese Super Famicom and aforementioned extender.

If you go down the path of getting international systems, you do have to do a bit of research on safely powering them due to the different standards for mains power in different countries etc. I'm not really sure how that goes with a US SNES in Australia, but I have some japanese systems and I believe the Australian adaptor that you have for your Mega Drive should actually be perfect for a Super Famicom. I use a Master System adapter for mine and I think the adaptor for the two was identical. COULD BE WRONG.

Also, "friendlypossum" is an oxymoron if ever I heard one. Possums are jerks.

friendlypossum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@damodar said:

You're right that to get US SNES carts to fit in a PAL system, you need an extension between the cart slot and the game, like a game genie or something, but it's not necessarily as simple as just making the cart fit. You also need to actually mod the system if you want the games to run properly at 60hz etc, which requires taking it apart and doing some soldering, as far as I'm aware. I think it might work without the mod, but everything will run about 20% slower. Might just be easier to just buy a US SNES, although I don't know how much they go for. Other options would be to get some sort of clone system that plays SNES carts or something like a Retron (although the coverage on GB made the Retron5 look like garbage) or get a Japanese Super Famicom and aforementioned extender.

If you go down the path of getting international systems, you do have to do a bit of research on safely powering them due to the different standards for mains power in different countries etc. I'm not really sure how that goes with a US SNES in Australia, but I have some japanese systems and I believe the Australian adaptor that you have for your Mega Drive should actually be perfect for a Super Famicom. I use a Master System adapter for mine and I think the adaptor for the two was identical. COULD BE WRONG.

Also, "friendlypossum" is an oxymoron if ever I heard one. Possums are jerks.

HAhahaha yes they are. Thanks for the tips man.