#1 Posted by Brenderous (1183 posts) -

PREFACE: I'm aware there's other posts like this, I'm just making this one because I'm stating my opinion and not asking a question. 
 
So Ryan just announced that QOTW is over, and that sucks. But I'm hopeful it will come back in a better form in 2011. I gotta say I think a big part of why it ended was due to the last few questions being a tad hard to conceptualize, film, and edit in 3 or 4 days, rather than it being a problem with QOTW inherently.
 
Lots of people say QOTW was boring to watch, which sometimes was true. But people kept coming back every week to comment on the video (even if they were just complaining), so there must have been something there worth watching for. I like to think it's because no other gaming community really did anything like this, that is allowing user submitted video content up onto the site for everyone to see. That idea is still awesome, and I hope whatever form QOTW returns in will be able to make that work. Some people just submitted whatever in order to get up on the site, which no one wants to see. There were some really awesome submissions now and then though and I would be willing to sit through a bunch of crappy 5 second videos to get to the good ones if it means this community still is able to express itself in this way. 
 
QOTM(onth) seems like a good idea, but then the resulting video would probably be very very long which isn't any better. Every 2 weeks would work, but I can't think of a name for that. QOTBiW? QOTF(ortnight)? QOT2W? 
 
Anyway, I guess I'm sorry to see it go, because I was having fun making video and watching videos. I'll definitely do whatever I can to participate in whatever user submitted video content thing GB comes up with next year. 
 
If not, I'd totally be down for organizing some kinda community QOTW. That could work.

#2 Posted by Jeffsekai (7154 posts) -

Maybe if they had actual Questions they would get responses, not just HEY WHAT DUMB SKIT CAN YOU COME UP WITH

#3 Posted by gakon (2008 posts) -
@Jeffsekai said:
" Maybe if they had actual Questions they would get responses, not just HEY WHAT DUMB SKIT CAN YOU COME UP WITH "
Dumb skits are dumb, but asking actual questions results in boring videos of people talking into a camera.  In my mind, either way you lose.
#4 Posted by Brenderous (1183 posts) -
@Jeffsekai: There's some truth i that for sure. Although, I would probably try and make my videos silly to some extent anyway. But that's just me. :P
#5 Posted by Icil (745 posts) -

A time limit of 10 seconds would make things interesting. Something to make it more than just video submissions with no rules besides 'keep it short'. Some gimmick? A prize? No clue.

#6 Edited by ThaMilkMan (385 posts) -

its simple really, with too many freedoms after awhile you lose creativity. If they were to add constraints every time too then we'd see more creative submissions. Also their questions have never been stellar and sometimes seemed to simply consist of "Hey Jeff its Monday morning we need a question for the users" "Oh Sh*t that was today...how about what can you do with turkey and games idunno". 
 
So yeah them retooling the format is good, more importantly give people more time (Every other week perhaps) time and give us some incentive. Honestly it seems like they neglect the question of the week, and because it's seemed like an afterthought from their end, what can they honestly expect, but sub-par participation along with sub-par submissions. 
 
Thank you for your time : )

#7 Posted by Brenderous (1183 posts) -

I'm starting to like Question of the Fortnight as a name.

#8 Posted by RE_Player1 (7943 posts) -

Good. I'm glad QOTW is gone so I don't have to see it anymore and you guys can make your user videos on your own threads. Win Win situation. 

#9 Posted by Video_Game_King (36566 posts) -
@Jeffsekai said:
" Maybe if they had actual Questions they would get responses, not just HEY WHAT DUMB SKIT CAN YOU COME UP WITH "
Technically, that's a question.
#10 Posted by thegoldencat7 (1494 posts) -

Oh well.
#11 Posted by 234r2we232 (3175 posts) -
@Icil said:
" A time limit of 10 seconds would make things interesting. Something to make it more than just video submissions with no rules besides 'keep it short'. Some gimmick? A prize? No clue. "
How do you expect the kids to send in their 20 minute YouTube poop videos with that kind of limit?
#12 Posted by A_Cute_Squirtle (771 posts) -

I don't want anything like it assembled ever again. If we got a quick look throwback every week in place of it, I'd be happy. 

#13 Edited by Brenderous (1183 posts) -

I don't get why some people hate it so much. Just don't watch it. It doesn't detract from anything giantbomb does.

#14 Posted by dudeglove (9100 posts) -
@RE_Player92 said:
" Good. I'm glad QOTW is gone so I don't have to see it anymore and you guys can make your user videos on your own threads. Win Win situation.  "
No one was forcing you to watch it in the first place...
#15 Posted by Brenderous (1183 posts) -
@dudeglove said:
" @RE_Player92 said:
" Good. I'm glad QOTW is gone so I don't have to see it anymore and you guys can make your user videos on your own threads. Win Win situation.  "
No one was forcing you to watch it in the first place... "
Yeah I thought that was kinda harsh.
#16 Posted by MysteriousBob (6262 posts) -
@Brenderous said:
" Just don't watch it. "
Nobody does.
#17 Posted by A_Cute_Squirtle (771 posts) -
@MysteriousBob said:
" @Brenderous said:
" Just don't watch it. "
Nobody does. "
Exactly. And rather than waste Giant Bomb's resources on watching user content and putting it together, it could be used for better or more content. 
#18 Posted by Brenderous (1183 posts) -
@A_Cute_Squirtle said:
" @MysteriousBob said:
" @Brenderous said:
" Just don't watch it. "
Nobody does. "
Exactly. And rather than waste Giant Bomb's resources on watching user content and putting it together, it could be used for better or more content.  "
It takes like 2 mins to put some videos into a timeline. I'm sure qotw doesn't take them that long to produce.
#19 Posted by Brenderous (1183 posts) -
@MysteriousBob said:
" @Brenderous said:
" Just don't watch it. "
Nobody does. "
Actually, lots of people do, but you made your point. I think.
#20 Posted by JJWeatherman (14793 posts) -

Question of the Fortnight is the best name in the world. 
 
I'm sad to see QOTW go, but I probably won't miss it for long, if I'm honest.

#21 Posted by Animasta (14818 posts) -
@Brenderous said:
" @A_Cute_Squirtle said:
" @MysteriousBob said:
" @Brenderous said:
" Just don't watch it. "
Nobody does. "
Exactly. And rather than waste Giant Bomb's resources on watching user content and putting it together, it could be used for better or more content.  "
It takes like 2 mins to put some videos into a timeline. I'm sure qotw doesn't take them that long to produce. "
and the time it takes to watch all of them to make sure none are inappropriate, plus the time it takes to render...
#22 Posted by RE_Player1 (7943 posts) -
@Laketown said:
" @Brenderous said:
" @A_Cute_Squirtle said:
" @MysteriousBob said:
" @Brenderous said:
" Just don't watch it. "
Nobody does. "
Exactly. And rather than waste Giant Bomb's resources on watching user content and putting it together, it could be used for better or more content.  "
It takes like 2 mins to put some videos into a timeline. I'm sure qotw doesn't take them that long to produce. "
and the time it takes to watch all of them to make sure none are inappropriate, plus the time it takes to render... "
Exactly. Plus they have to come up with a question and ask it. That's like 30-45 min right there. I rather have a quicklook than QOTW. I'm sure the defenders of QOTW will reply with " If you don't like it don't watch it" but in all honesty most people are glad to see the feature go, if you could even call it a feature. I'm sure with the passing weeks, for most of us minutes, we will forget about QOTW and get on with our lives. If you really wanna make user skits just make a thread or a blog post where people are free to post their youtube videos. That way you can still have fun and I don't have to be mad that the only videos usually released on Sundays are QOTW. 
#23 Posted by trophyhunter (6039 posts) -

Well it all comes down to this. We want to see videos of The GB staff not random weirdos.

#24 Posted by Brenderous (1183 posts) -
@RE_Player92 said:
" @Laketown said:
" @Brenderous said:
" @A_Cute_Squirtle said:
" @MysteriousBob said:
" @Brenderous said:
" Just don't watch it. "
Nobody does. "
Exactly. And rather than waste Giant Bomb's resources on watching user content and putting it together, it could be used for better or more content.  "
It takes like 2 mins to put some videos into a timeline. I'm sure qotw doesn't take them that long to produce. "
and the time it takes to watch all of them to make sure none are inappropriate, plus the time it takes to render... "
Exactly. Plus they have to come up with a question and ask it. That's like 30-45 min right there. I rather have a quicklook than QOTW. I'm sure the defenders of QOTW will reply with " If you don't like it don't watch it" but in all honesty most people are glad to see the feature go, if you could even call it a feature. I'm sure with the passing weeks, for most of us minutes, we will forget about QOTW and get on with our lives. If you really wanna make user skits just make a thread or a blog post where people are free to post their youtube videos. That way you can still have fun and I don't have to be mad that the only videos usually released on Sundays are QOTW.  "
Yeah I was thinking of starting a community thing. That could work. 
 
There would be less spam from haters as well. 
 
Glad GB is bringing something like qotw back in 2011 though.
#25 Posted by RE_Player1 (7943 posts) -
@Brenderous lol spam from haters, good luck in your future endeavors.
#26 Posted by FLStyle (5417 posts) -

Other than "A man chooses Pickles" the best user created video content I've seen have never been related to QOTW. So that's how it should stay, goodbye QOTW.

Online
#27 Posted by OppressiveStink (366 posts) -

Woah, a spammer! Crazy.  Anyway, as someone who's submitted to Giant Bomb's QOTW, I know I stopped because the questions weren't really ever that great.  I also think the reasons people have stopped submitting them is the season.
 
Right now is finals for many people and many of us family having adults are dealing with the holiday season.  I know I have personally less than half of the time I can spend online due to holidays.   I myself always watched the QOTW.

#28 Edited by Brenderous (1183 posts) -
@OppressiveStink said:

" Woah, a spammer! Crazy.  Anyway, as someone who's submitted to Giant Bomb's QOTW, I know I stopped because the questions weren't really ever that great.  I also think the reasons people have stopped submitting them is the season.  Right now is finals for many people and many of us family having adults are dealing with the holiday season.  I know I have personally less than half of the time I can spend online due to holidays.   I myself always watched the QOTW. "

One of my favorite videos of the week. Even the crappy ones.
#29 Posted by Entus (256 posts) -

I think it would be better if the staff would feature superb user-submitted content on the front page rather than constantly showing the mediocre ones.

#30 Posted by LordAndrew (14588 posts) -
@RE_Player92 said:
" Good. I'm glad QOTW is gone so I don't have to see it anymore and you guys can make your user videos on your own threads. Win Win situation.  "
So that instead of one video that you don't have to watch, there are multiple threads to ignore?
#31 Posted by RiotBananas (3822 posts) -

The problem with QOTW is if they ask dumb questions, I will not sit and cringe as I watch members make terribly unfunny videos and if they ask normal questions, I will not and watch members talk at the camera. 
 
QOTW is dead.

#32 Posted by CptChiken (2058 posts) -

If they all been like lemon and dirty dans i would of happily watched hours. 
 
 
 
" ECUUU MEEEE?!!?!?!!?!"

#33 Posted by Vager (1675 posts) -

I don't like QoTW but, this one is the best one by far: 

Loading Video...
#34 Posted by Portis (1293 posts) -

It stinks to see any feature of Giant Bomb go, but if it had to be one I'm okay with it being Question of the Week. Put those resources towards something less awkward.

#35 Posted by MetalGearSunny (7465 posts) -

If they had actual questions, I would participate.

#36 Posted by Mrnitropb (2131 posts) -

Sometimes for a tree to grow, you have to prune it. While it was awesome thatt hey had the community feature, it has outlived it usefulness and appeal (i.e. no more prizes or good Q's). 
I'm betting that whatever they do to replace it will probably be a members only feature, mayhap on the Happy Hour, which is fine. 

#37 Posted by DeadDorf (415 posts) -

Might just be me, but I've never been interested in QOTW. I think spending that time on more permium, original content is a much better investment.

#38 Posted by RecSpec (4539 posts) -

Karaoke Monday.

#39 Posted by BraveToaster (12636 posts) -

The submitted videos aren't funny. It's time for the staff to move on and replace it with something entertaining.

#40 Posted by Gamer_152 (14281 posts) -

More time would definitely help improve the overall quality of the submissions but I don't think we'd see a massive rise in the quality of the QoTW videos from that. I'm of the mindset that a time constraint on the length of the videos, in addition to a longer period for filming would be the way to go.

Moderator
#41 Posted by Halberdierv2 (1985 posts) -

instead of forcing your brain to come up with a question every week, make it irregular, so they can actually think of some good and interesting questions. hey, Mailbag is irregular, but is always awesome, why not do it for QOTW?

#42 Edited by Brackynews (4238 posts) -
@Brenderous said:

" I'm starting to like Question of the Fortnight as a name. "

It would quickly devolve into Question of the Freaknik. O_o
I'm not certain if I'm kidding...
#43 Posted by Brenderous (1183 posts) -
@Brackynews said:
" @Brenderous said:

" I'm starting to like Question of the Fortnight as a name. "

It would quickly devolve into Question of the Freaknik. O_o I'm not certain if I'm kidding... "
fffffffffffffffffffffffffffreaknik.
#44 Edited by griefersstolemykeyboard (403 posts) -

There is nothing more painful than watching people trying so hard to be funny, dunno why people watch QoTW for these try hards.