#1 Posted by serverfull (57 posts) -

Does anyone here use their gaming laptop in bed?

Right now I use it via a lapdesk that is just a wedge then hook up my wireless 360 controller to play games while my wife watches TV. Now that I am getting hella deep into ARMA, I would like to play it while in bed with my wife (counts as quality time:)). The controller support is subpar for Arma because the amount of keys that you need to use. Any bombers here have a setup or looked into it. Must have room for my Logi MX518.

If I can't find anything, I started drawing up blueprints to build one via wood.

#2 Edited by EXTomar (4737 posts) -

I would not recommend doing that at all. Not because of a technology reason but playing a game in bed with your SO does not count as quality time.

#4 Edited by serverfull (57 posts) -

The internet ate my response....

We do everything else together. Throughout the day we go to the gym and play with our kids. By the time 9PM hits it is decompression time. We both find it more enjoyable to be in the same room even through we are doing things we wanted to do all day. Her it is Animal Crossing and catching up on tv (Blue, Gossip Girl, America's Top Model). Also, we do all family activities together (Vacations, gym, camping and such). Plus, I am taking her to HI next month (no kids) with a full electronics ban (minus the plane flights).

#5 Posted by believer258 (11914 posts) -

Well, I have a wooden board that's just wide enough for my laptop and a mouse. I use it to play Doom or Half-Life while listening to podcasts, so it's certainly possible and perfectly comfortable.

But then, I don't have a wife to spend quality time with.

#6 Posted by serverfull (57 posts) -

Well, I have a wooden board that's just wide enough for my laptop and a mouse. I use it to play Doom or Half-Life while listening to podcasts, so it's certainly possible and perfectly comfortable.

Did you attach anything for comfort to the bottom? Padding or such? Also what type of wood did you use? Just some Home Depot special?

#7 Edited by believer258 (11914 posts) -

@believer258 said:

Did you attach anything for comfort to the bottom? Padding or such? Also what type of wood did you use? Just some Home Depot special?

Nope. I just sit some pillows back, lay on my bed, lay my legs out straight, put the wood on my lap, put the laptop on my the wood, then the mouse. And then start playing.

It was originally one of those things on computer desks that slide out and you put your keyboard and mouse on it. I just unscrewed that and used it. I'm pretty sure it's plywood and not honest-to-God wood. Chances are you've got something around your house that you could use. If all else fails, get a hard book, place a mousepad on it, and use that. I've done that before too and it works fine.

#8 Posted by EXTomar (4737 posts) -

I didn't mean to make it sound harsh but really this is as strange as asking as if there is a way to take your gaming laptop work while at park with your kids. Unless they are playing the game with you, playing some game even in their presence is not quality together time.

#9 Edited by oldenglishC (957 posts) -

Your wife sounds way cooler than mine. I'm not allowed to even have a T.V. in the bedroom.

#10 Edited by Ben_H (3361 posts) -

I always just use the mouse directly on the bed surface (most mice sensors can handle it). I played SC2 that way for a while when I screwed up my back and couldn't sit at my desk. Though the difference was that I had my computer hooked up to a TV and had my keyboard on my lap. It was actually super comfy.

#11 Edited by serverfull (57 posts) -

@extomar said:

I didn't mean to make it sound harsh but really this is as strange as asking as if there is a way to take your gaming laptop work while at park with your kids. Unless they are playing the game with you, playing some game even in their presence is not quality together time.

Huh?

My whole question is about playing in bed once the kids are in bed. I was explaining we have a very active life and outside of 9PM on never watch tv or play games. After my kids are in bed I like to relax and that is more enjoyable if my wife is next to me. The quality time was a bit of a joke with :) attached. Most of the time our family does everything as a group but both my wife and I enjoy getting to do hobbies we enjoy.

Spending time in bed next to her while enjoying some wine and BS whiles she watches TV / plays Animal Crossing and I play something else is better then being in the other room completely seperated. I just wanted a way to play more mouse and keyboard style games for the 1-2 hours every couple of nights we get to relax.

#12 Edited by len1444 (36 posts) -

Everyone here is so stuck on their traditions and stigmas that they don't even realize how much they're generalizing. They know nothing about the OP, but feel as if they have the right to criticize his lifestyle.

Anyway, on topic, I play video games on my laptop all the time. It's super comfy and all that's required is a mouse pad, and a book to hold the mouse pad in place. I prefer it to sitting at the desk sometimes because I can just lean back and enjoy myself while also being super comfortable.

But I don't have the whole wife thing, I'm single.

#13 Posted by jayjonesjunior (1090 posts) -

Don't like doing anything in bed besides "bed business", i like to keep the sheets fresh.

#14 Posted by BBAlpert (1475 posts) -

I was going to warn about the potential for fires (or just fucking up your laptop) if you fell asleep with sheets/pillows blocking the fans, but it sounds like you're already getting around that issue by using a lapdesk.

Don't like doing anything in bed besides "bed business", i like to keep the sheets fresh.

Then you're not doing your "bed business" properly ;D (I kid, I kid)

#15 Posted by serverfull (57 posts) -

HAHA favorite post thus far even though it doesn't anwser anything..