#1 Edited by hyperbertha (33 posts) -

Which one should I pick? Got some money with me right now and an itch to play one of the oldies. Those two always appeared in the top 10 psx lists I searched so please help me out.

#2 Posted by ChrisTaran (1676 posts) -

Xenogears is one of my favorite games of all time, so I'm certainly partial to that. Though, it's probably been 10 years since I've touched it so at this point I'm not sure how well it holds up.

#3 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Chrono Cross.

#4 Posted by csl316 (9421 posts) -

This comes up... kind of often. There's a more detailed thread somewhere.

Vagrant Story is what you're looking for in life.

#5 Posted by Veektarius (5012 posts) -

Xenogears plays better. Neither of them look very good.

#6 Edited by Corevi (4795 posts) -

Shin Megami Tensei Anything

#7 Posted by gokaired (570 posts) -

I've started both, finished neither. :/

#8 Posted by EuanDewar (5098 posts) -

I've never played either but I hear them both referenced pretty frequently as classics. Does someone mind explaining to me why people revere these two games? I'm really quite curious, been on an RPG kick lately and might try them out.

#9 Edited by BabyChooChoo (4801 posts) -
#10 Posted by Relkin (169 posts) -

Xenogears starts off real good but gets remarkably bad (the turning point is disc 2), so I would recommend Vagrant Story.

#11 Posted by L33T_HAXOR (356 posts) -

I loved the hell out of Xenogears, warts and all. I gave Vagrant Story an honest try, I just really disliked the combat.

#12 Edited by BongChilla (234 posts) -

Love Xenogears, favorite game so I won't say anything more, but Vagrent Story has a better combat system I think. So what is more important to you? A great story? Or a diverse combat system?

#13 Posted by Heycalvero (117 posts) -

Xenogears was really great when I played it around 10 years ago, I liked the combat and the story was pretty incredible, with cool character designs. It's a much longer game. Also, giant robots.

Vagrant Story was quite alright, but I never got excited enough to finish it. Maybe if it had giant robots.

#14 Edited by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Vagrant Story was quite alright, but I never got excited enough to finish it. Maybe if it had giant robots.

Does this count?

#15 Edited by Brodehouse (10128 posts) -

The answer is Parasite Eve!

But Vagrant Story. I've yet to like a Xeno game.

#16 Posted by Heycalvero (117 posts) -

@video_game_king: It's a good beginning.

Seriously though, I've heard nothing but good things about Vagrant Story, it's a shame I never beat it.

But if you've played any other Xeno game and liked it, you're sure to like Xenogears. It's a great JRPG and not just because giant robots. It's the beginning of what would become Xenoblade, which to me is the guiding light JRPGs should be following nowadays. Considering they're making a new one, it's always interesting to know where and how great current stuff began.

#17 Edited by Fredchuckdave (6136 posts) -

Vagrant Story. Xenosaga is good but it's not even close to scratching the surface of VS; Xenogears is good for 20 hours then bad for 60.

@veektarius: VS is the best looking polygonal game on the PS1.

#18 Edited by Spoonman671 (4769 posts) -

I've never played Xenogears, but it doesn't really matter because Vagrant Story is the greatest game of all time.

#19 Edited by Nasar7 (2792 posts) -

Both amazing games. What are you in the mood for?

Xenogears: lots of dialogue, long anime cutscenes, combo-entering fighting system, memorable cast of characters, themes of religion, psychology, and philosophy

Vagrant Story: gothic atmosphere, real-time tactical combat system, unique visual style, shakespearean, themes of betrayal and loss

#20 Edited by GalacticGravy (550 posts) -

After reading the GamaFAN magazine review of Vagrant Story I ran out and bought it with birthday money and found it completely unintelligible. I was 14 at the time. I got maybe 6 hours in and was totally confused. Where am I? Is there a world, or is it just one long dungeon? Why is this boss taking 1 point of damage? Oh it needs to be killed with a blunt weapon. Well, I didn't know that and didn't make one.

Again, I was 14 and now it's 14 years later and I'm willing to give it a shot again because I'm not a dumb kid.

#21 Posted by MychDfrosty (6 posts) -

Gonna say Vagrant Story just cause that combat system is too awesome. (Side Note: Never tried Xenogear, so my opinion is subject to change)

#22 Posted by Vuud (2035 posts) -

Mr. Bojangles is my favorite vagrant story.

#23 Edited by kerse (2118 posts) -

Loved Xenogears, couldn't get into Vagrant Story.

#24 Edited by GiantLizardKing (559 posts) -

Not sure if either will hold up at this point, but Xenogears is the only one with a crucified stuffed animal thing, so there's your answer.

#25 Posted by Loafsmooch (364 posts) -

Vagrant Story is a personal favourite of mine. Looking back at it now, in many ways it feels like a predecessor to the Souls games. The overall theme is very dark and ominous. One of the things I really liked is the upgrading of equipment and switching out weapons depending on what you're fighting. It allows you to think and prepare for what's coming.

I have played Xenogears but couldn't get into it even though I used to really like that type of RPGs.

#26 Posted by JosephKnows (100 posts) -

Xenogears has a lot of interesting things going on with it, both gameplay-wise and in terms of narrative. But as one poster already mentioned, it gets really bad really fast (or should I say really slow?) the minute you start Disc 2. Walls and walls of text filled with psychobabble and a hodgepodge of Christian symbolism passed off as something "deep" that a lot of JRPGs of the era fall victim to.

Vagrant Story is strong throughout the entire game, and it's got a unique combat and crafting system that is challenging yet ultimately rewarding when it clicks for you. It's oozing with atmosphere, and the plot and character developments resonate with more well pronounced themes. You don't get too much of it, but the story has a certain elegance to it that you savor the moments when the game does give you a taste.

And although the polygonal graphics and textures are obviously outdated, the artstyle picks up the slack and keeps the game feeling timeless.

#27 Edited by WillyLo (302 posts) -

God that's a tough one... I think if I had to choose out of the two I would lean slightly more towards Xenogears over Vagrant Story. But really you can't go wrong with either or they are two of the best RPGs ever!