#1 Edited by Wrighteous86 (3782 posts) -

http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/SteamOS/

As we’ve been working on bringing Steam to the living room, we’ve come to the conclusion that the environment best suited to delivering value to customers is an operating system built around Steam itself.

SteamOS combines the rock-solid architecture of Linux with a gaming experience built for the big screen.

It will be available soon as a free stand-alone operating system for living room machines.

You can play all your Windows and Mac games on your SteamOS machine, too. Just turn on your existing computer and run Steam as you always have - then your SteamOS machine can stream those games over your home network straight to your TV!

SteamOS will be available soon as a free download for users and as a freely licensable operating system for manufacturers. Stay tuned in the coming days for more information.

#2 Posted by Monkeyman04 (1140 posts) -

That seems neat.

#3 Posted by Bocam (3762 posts) -

What's a living room machine?

#4 Posted by Pr1mus (3934 posts) -
@bocam said:

A console.

#5 Edited by RenegadeDoppelganger (410 posts) -

@bocam said:

A PC or possibly whatever machine Valve has yet to announce.

That last point, the one about streaming existing games is, I think, the most important development. I figured it might be something like this, utilizing your existing gaming PC to render all the content and simply streaming it out over the local network. Hopefully the next announcement with be the damn box that everyone has been waiting on, shipping of course with Steam OS pre-installed.

Now it seems a lot more clear what that thing will be. Basically Valve's ideal vision of steamOS in the living room. A small box powerful enough to run smaller steamplay/steamOS titles on it's own and stream the rest of one's collection via a gaming PC elsewhere in the home. Round it out with controller support (or a controller of it's own?) and some media bells and whistles and you have yourself a pretty desirable box. Given that the actual hardware in this hypothetical box wouldn't need to be anything special and I imagine it comes in at $150-$200?

I don't even see this thing as being the only box either. Valve could easily licence steamOS out to whomever feels like making htpc's or set-top boxes or whatever sort of like how Google operates with AndroidOS. You have the Nexus, which is Google's baby, a pure expression of what they think Android should look like, then you have the hundred other manufacturers all doing their take on it and each catering to different types of users.

I'm pretty excited guys.

#6 Edited by Wrighteous86 (3782 posts) -

I'm glad they're offering in-home streaming for your Windows and Mac games, because otherwise I'd probably never consider a Linux box.

#7 Edited by Noblenerf (323 posts) -

Prepare yourselves for a controller-centric future of gaming. I do not look forward to it.

#8 Posted by chiablo (940 posts) -

Ha ha ha... in their game screenshot, it shows Europa Universalis 4. I can barely read the tiny in-game text when I'm a few feet away from my monitor, this would be absolutely unplayable from the couch.

#9 Posted by Mister_V (1313 posts) -

I'm glad they're offering in-home streaming for your Windows and Mac games, because otherwise, I'd probably never consider a Linux box.

This. I hope the next thing they announce is a apple tv like device that just does the streaming.. then i will be interested.

#10 Posted by Milkman (16846 posts) -

Just announce the Steam Box already, goddamnit.

#11 Posted by Rasgueado (718 posts) -

I'm very curious about this. If the in-home streaming works like I think it might, that means I won't have to worry about the power of the living room machine. This is pretty exciting... especially if they're able to beat the latency and image quality of other services like it.

#12 Edited by Blomakrans (149 posts) -

It seems like this might solve the problem I've had with consoles. Since I don't have my own full-HD TV I've been playing my PS3 on my parents' TV which means that I can't play whenever they're watching a movie or news or something. It would be really cool being able to just go into my room and continue on my PC from where I left off when someone else needs to use the TV (Or if I'm going to drive around and kill hookers in GTA, which I wouldn't like everybody to see).

#13 Posted by Wrighteous86 (3782 posts) -

@milkman said:

Just announce the Steam Box already, goddamnit.

Wednesday, Steam Box. Friday? HALF-LIFE 3.

...Aww, now I feel bad. :(

#14 Posted by chainreaction01 (179 posts) -

So based of the icon this announcement was under, O, I'm going to assume the other 2 are based around SteamOS features. The [O ] icon will probably be around what the OS means for the individual or possibly some sort of SteamBox with the OS already installed. The O+O icon is likely going to be news about sharing and communication with SteamOS. Of course these are based off absolutely nothing but I guess we'll see in two more days.

#15 Posted by Hamst3r (4491 posts) -

@bocam said:

A beastly contraption of gears, pistons, and conveyor belts that mass produces living rooms.

#16 Edited by archimedes83 (28 posts) -

I'm curious what the third announcement will be. Presumably the second will be that the device will exist and be for sale. Any guesses what the third will be? Maybe that you don't have to own a windows box any more, offering a ouya type service?

O // [O ] // O + O

#17 Posted by Blomakrans (149 posts) -

So based of the icon this announcement was under, O, I'm going to assume the other 2 are based around SteamOS features. The [O ] icon will probably be around what the OS means for the individual or possibly some sort of SteamBox with the OS already installed. The O+O icon is likely going to be news about sharing and communication with SteamOS. Of course these are based off absolutely nothing but I guess we'll see in two more days.

The first thing I thought when i saw [o ] was a man sitting on a couch seen from above.

#18 Posted by Jayzilla (2563 posts) -

So stoked on this. I now totally have a reason to get a cheap barebones kit for the living room. Hopefully when I do a new PC in a few years, I won't have to get Windows EVER again.

#19 Posted by Mister_V (1313 posts) -

@chainreaction01 said:

The first thing I thought when i saw [o ] was a man sitting on a couch seen from above.

Wednesday a streaming box and friday some kind of controller maybe?

#20 Posted by archangel0183 (13 posts) -

So how would you go about installing non-steam games to an OS like this?

#21 Posted by Itwongo (1207 posts) -

Neato

#22 Edited by Forcen (1830 posts) -

Some good quotes from the site:

Watch for announcements in the coming weeks about all the AAA titles coming natively to SteamOS in 2014. Access the full Steam catalog of over nearly 3000 games and desktop software titles via in-home streaming.

In-home Streaming

You can play all your Windows and Mac games on your SteamOS machine, too. Just turn on your existing computer and run Steam as you always have - then your SteamOS machine can stream those games over your home network straight to your TV!

#23 Posted by BeachThunder (11990 posts) -

@bocam said:

A machine for pigs.

#24 Posted by spraynardtatum (3022 posts) -

@hamst3r said:

@bocam said:

A beastly contraption of gears, pistons, and conveyor belts that mass produces living rooms.

Sounds like it should be a VinCo product.

#25 Edited by Wrighteous86 (3782 posts) -

So how would you go about installing non-steam games to an OS like this?

You'd probably have to stream them from another computer.

#26 Edited by joshwent (2218 posts) -
#28 Posted by Demoskinos (14878 posts) -

I had a real dumb idea of what if that " Left For Dead 3" leak that happened was actually Half-Life 3 and they just blatantly used the L4D moniker as a red herring? DUN DUN DUN. Half life 3 approaches. *takes off tin-foil hat*

#29 Posted by MikkaQ (10294 posts) -

I'm curious what this turns out to be but for now I see no reason to replace the 30$ HDMI splitter I use with a whole new machine and OS. I just load the game up on my desktop and then walk to my living room, turn on the TV, bam the game's already going.

#30 Edited by Wrighteous86 (3782 posts) -

@mikkaq said:

I'm curious what this turns out to be but for now I see no reason to replace the 30$ HDMI splitter I use with a whole new machine and OS. I just load the game up on my desktop and then walk to my living room, turn on the TV, bam the game's already going.

This is basically my plan in the next few months. I need a new gaming PC, but this Valve stuff being Linux-only means there are a lot of PC games I want to play that won't work with them. Now in order to play some of that older stuff, I'd need a PC capable of playing them, and then stream them to this machine. Two things I'd have to buy instead of one. I'll just stick with a PC in that case. Unfortunate, because I was looking forward to this announcement.

#31 Edited by kishinfoulux (2361 posts) -

Still don't understand who this is for. I have a PC. Why would I need this? Also their obsession with pushing Linux is funny.

#32 Edited by Capaneus (37 posts) -
#33 Posted by Zeik (2488 posts) -

@noblenerf said:

Prepare yourselves for a controller-centric future of gaming. I do not look forward to it.

I don't know what world you've been living in for the past 10-15 years where that's not already the case. There's only a handful of games still being made with mouse and keyboard specifically in mind.

#34 Posted by Humanity (9379 posts) -

Still don't understand who this is for. I have a PC. Why would I need this? Also their obsession with pushing Linux is funny.

Me neither. Who is going to completely replace their Windows machine with this Os? Since it's meant mostly for gaming (I assume) why would I turn my powerful machine into another console? I assume with time the Steam Os will support things like WinRar, iTunes etc but I already have an Os that supports those things AND plays games - what is the appeal here? If I had a second PC then maybe, but I don't.

#35 Posted by Animasta (14698 posts) -

@zeik said:

@noblenerf said:

I don't know what world you've been living in for the past 10-15 years where that's not already the case. There's only a handful of games still being made with mouse and keyboard specifically in mind.

honestly the funniest part is they put two games that are mouse and keyboard focused (Europa Universalis 4 and Rome 2: electric boogaloo) on there.

#36 Posted by Noblenerf (323 posts) -

@zeik: Precisely the problem. Valve is going to increase the influence and dominance of controllers even more, and that is a shame. It will encourage more developers to act like Team Meat with their "go buy controller 2 play, we spare no resources for U" mentality.

#37 Posted by Nals (79 posts) -

So, just to point this out.

Over the past few years, Linux hasn't been a strong platform due to DirectX. If you wanted to make a PC game, you needed to use DX. Which mean you needed to make it on Windows. WINE is an option, but a bad one, as it basically takes the game, and whenever it sends off a message to DX, it instead sends that to OpenGL, allowing OpenGL to run the game instead.

This is why there are very few Linux games overall, right now. Because why develop for OpenGL, which takes more time, resources, have to learn a bunch more, etc, for a smaller audience.

However OpenGL is now the platform of pretty much everything, from Linux, to the Playstation, to even some Xbox games. It's become the new standard outside of Xbone games. So most games these days are coming out with full OpenGL support. Which means they'd be very easy to port to Linux.

If Valve pushes this right, it wouldn't be a challenge at all to set it up so almost every upcoming game is Linux Supported. You'd still have the problem of past libraries, but, well, both Sony and Microsoft have shown that 95% of console gamers don't care about keeping games, let alone having a massive library. So that's not really a negative.

#38 Edited by EXTomar (4766 posts) -

@bocam said:

Something like this:

As for OpenGL, history shows that it isn't so much that there was anything wrong with OpenGL or anything particularly great with DirectX but that Microsoft did a stellar job with vendor lock-in.

#39 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (5592 posts) -

That seems pretty interesting.

#40 Posted by Capaneus (37 posts) -

@nals: Exactly. I think that is where the real story is. Granted, Valve's messaging is a little confusing as for the real need for consumers to get SteamOS now, it is necessary push to get to a PC platform that is no longer reliant on Microsoft's DX API's. I think the cyclical entrenchment of video card makers and middle ware vendors to be stuck into Windows and DirectX is not good for developers or gamers.

#41 Posted by gaminghooligan (1448 posts) -

Steambox: A Machine for Living Rooms

I love Valve, but I'm not sure I see the market for this yet. Most PC gamers have PCs they can upgrade. Most people who want consoles will buy the new ones in November. That being said if they announced HL3 with this that could be pretty huge. The REAL question here is what the quality of the controller will be.

#42 Posted by rempresent (100 posts) -

I don't use Windows for anything but running games and using a browser. I run ArchLinux at home with XFCE for everything else other than at work where I am on MacOSX. So as a man that really doesn't have time or energy for Windows, I am pretty excited for just having a "hey man, this plays games" OS. I am also really hoping that they put a console overlay over the entire thing so you can always bring up the console on anything and command away. Just a stripped down OS for games that runs on any mid- to low-range PC is a crazy concept.

#43 Posted by xyzygy (10008 posts) -

Really cool but I still will use Windows 8 because I love it to death. May do a virtual box thing to run it but who am I kidding, probably not. Completely content with the new direction MS is going.

#44 Edited by crithon (3307 posts) -

I'd like to see what kind of hardware they keep hinting, I'd love to see a new controller that'd replace keyboard and mouse, even steam big picture mode needs a mouse.