Jace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Jace

http://ttabvue.uspto.gov/ttabvue/v?pno=91202572&pty=OPP&eno=1

Update: Kotaku has an article out http://kotaku.com/5883938/blizzard-is-suing-valve

Thoughts? I didn't see this coming. This is going to be worth watching.

No Caption Provided
asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By asurastrike

The whole situation is kind of weird. Really do either of those companies have the right to use the name DOTA?

Avatar image for sexualbubblegumx
SexualBubblegumX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By SexualBubblegumX

Somehow, I'm not surprised.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Aetheldod

Valve FTW!!!!!

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By SomeJerk

I thought it was interesting, because Blizzard said it was no problem up until now.  It sounds fishy for more reasons than;
"By this Opposition, Blizzard seeks to prevent registration by its competitor
Valve Corporation ("Valve") of a trademark, DOTA, that for more than seven years has
been used exclusively by Blizzard and its fan community, under license from Blizzard."

With the people Valve have working on DOTA2 and what the design goal for DOTA2 is, it would be stupid to have any other name. Feels like Blizzard were slapped around by Boaby Goatshit for not suing.

Jace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Jace

I might be mistaken, but I think the outcome is hanging on whether or not the fact that DOTA was apart of the WC3 map editor inherently gives Blizzard the rights to DOTA.

cyraxible

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By cyraxible

The name has grown outside of Blizzard's properties, this just seems like throwing a tantrum because Valve beat them to the punch.

Really the name belongs to the community and the people who developed the mod... Well, that is until Valve slapped some money down on the table.

RobertOrri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By RobertOrri

This has been a looooong time coming.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By Animasta

they have to call it MOBA 2 instead

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#10  Edited By Hailinel

That it stemmed from the name of a Warcraft III mod doesn't really give Blizzard license to claim it as their own.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11  Edited By BabyChooChoo

This should be interesting...though I can't imagine Blizzard walking out of this in a good light.

ShadyPingu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ShadyPingu

So it's finally happening.

My money's on Gabe. You don't have that many goddamned knives without knowing how to kill with them.

RobertOrri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By RobertOrri

@Hailinel said:

That it stemmed from the name of a Warcraft III mod doesn't really give Blizzard license to claim it as their own.

Not according to their license agreement. This case will hinge on whether the terms in that agreement are enforceable.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By Marz

Dota 2 was a stupid name anyways.. I can see why Blizzard wants to enforce this, if Valve got the trademark unopposed then Blizzard would have to scrap Starcraft DOTA because Valve may just sue them for the name in a reversal.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#15  Edited By Hailinel

@Animasta said:

They should have called it MOBY 2 and themed the game after electronica music.

metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By metal_mills
@RobertOrri said:

@Hailinel said:

Not according to their license agreement. This case will hinge on whether the terms in that agreement are enforceable.

They never licensed the name and even said that. The guy who made Dota is working on Dota 2. Blizzard has no claim to it.
Avatar image for captaintightpants
CaptainTightPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@Animasta said:

I would love that.

So so much.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By shirogane

I'm more suprised at how they're not getting sued for Lina Inverse....

But that picture, rofl...

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Jack268

@Jace said:

I might be mistaken, but I think the outcome is hanging on whether or not the fact that DOTA was apart of the WC3 map editor inherently gives Blizzard the rights to DOTA.

I think that part of the EULA was added in SC2. I believe that all maps created in SC2 are considered to be owned by Blizzard, but I don't think it was like that in WC3.

Avatar image for deactivated-6281db536cb1d
deactivated-6281db536cb1d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know, they should change the name to TRENCHED. That'll avoid all copyright issues.

NaDannMaGoGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By NaDannMaGoGo

To quote someone from TeamLiquid.net

Er, Blizzard isn't suing valve at all, they're putting up a notice of opposition against Valve trademarking the Dota name, which is completley different to suing valve and fully expected because Blizzard wants Dota to be public domain.

And in my opinion rightfully so. But whatever, "x sues y" makes for better stronger headlines.

Edit:

@Jack268 said:

@Jace said:

I think that part of the EULA was added in SC2. I believe that all maps created in SC2 are considered to be owned by Blizzard, but I don't think it was like that in WC3.

Wrong, it was there in Wc3 already. First thing you see when opening the World Editor. I was a Wc3 modder myself.

IBurningStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By IBurningStar

In what will surely be considered one of the great dick moves of the year, Blizzard waits for Valve to sink a lot of time and money into DOTA2 before getting pissy about Valve actually using the DOTA name. I'm not the most well versed when it comes to these types of legal matters, but could Blizzard possibly stop the game from ever coming out and force Valve to start rebuilding the game again from scratch? Could they claim that the character models are too similar to ones from WCIII and that it infringes on their copyright? 

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23  Edited By BabyChooChoo

@allworkandlowpay said:

I know, they should change the name to TRENCHED. That'll avoid all copyright issues.

That would quite literally be the greatest thing to happen to gaming if only to see the reaction of the Double Fine crew.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#24  Edited By StarvingGamer

And thusly another case of "people believing an incendiary headline without bothering to find out the facts then immediately bandwagoning against X like the sheep they are" was born.

NaDannMaGoGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By NaDannMaGoGo

@IBurningStar said:

In what will surely be considered one of the great dick moves of the year, Blizzard waits for Valve to sink a lot of time and money into DOTA2 before getting pissy about Valve actually using the DOTA name. I'm not the most well versed when it comes to these types of legal matters, but could Blizzard possibly stop the game from ever coming out and force Valve to start rebuilding the game again from scratch? Could they claim that the character models are too similar to ones from WCIII and that it infringes on their copyright?

Nah obviously a name change would suffice. However, yes, some of the models look fairly similar to the Wc3 ones. At least from a basic design standpoint you could probably argue, that there are just too many models looking similar.

But that doesn't seem to be what Blizzard wants, in the first place, they just don't want Valve to license the "Dota" term.

Also I find it funny how people are always like "awesome Valve, trademarking Dota!" when the DotA community never wanted anyone, not even Blizzard to license DotA, as it was ( / is) a public domain really...

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

Since when does Blizzard own DotA.

Avatar image for willthemagicasian
WilltheMagicAsian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Look up "defense" in a thesaurus, find synonym, change title.

Jace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Jace

@StarvingGamer said:

And thusly another case of "people believing an incendiary headline without bothering to find out the facts then immediately bandwagoning against X like the sheep they are" was born.

What? I literally posted the lawsuit itself. If people come to a general consensus based on it, then so be it. There's no need to armchair crusade.

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#29  Edited By huntad

I think the whole thing is just stupid.

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By audiosnow

@BabyChooChoo said:

@allworkandlowpay said:

That would quite literally be the greatest thing to happen to gaming if only to see the reaction of the Double Fine crew.

Schafer would be out bustin' caps in foo's. I'd give good money to watch that...

Avatar image for randominternetuser
RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@NaDannMaGoGo said:

Er, Blizzard isn't suing valve at all, they're putting up a notice of opposition against Valve trademarking the Dota name, which is completley different to suing valve and fully expected because Blizzard wants Dota to be public domain.

And in my opinion rightfully so. But whatever, "x sues y" makes for better stronger headlines.

This seems totally reasonable to me.

Vodun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Vodun

@xobballox said:

@NaDannMaGoGo said:

BUT KOTICK IS TEH EVIL!

Jace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Jace

@xobballox said:

@NaDannMaGoGo said:

That's exactly right. But the point is that if Valve doesn't go through with this, it will turn into a lawsuit. I think the reason "suing" is used is because that is the potential full swing.

Deusx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Deusx

This is now a thread where we post new Valve DOTA names:

VALVOTA... Calling it...

EDIT:

DOGABEN... Calling it...

djaoni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By djaoni

Defense of the Gaben.

Masha2932

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Masha2932

After reading Blizzard's statement I can see their reasoning and don't fault them for their lawsuit.

Statement below from Kotaku:

In contrast to Blizzard, Applicant Valve Corporation ("Valve") has never used the mark DOTA in connection with any product or service that currently is available to the public. By attempting to register the mark DOTA, Valve seeks to appropriate the more than seven years of goodwill that Blizzard has developed in the mark DOTA and in its Warcraft III computer game and take for itself a name that has come to signify the product of years of time and energy expended by Blizzard and by fans of Warcraft III. Valve has no right to the registration it seeks. If such registration is issued, it not only will damage Blizzard, but also the legions of Blizzard fans that have worked for years with Blizzard and its products, including by causing consumers to falsely believe that Valve's products are affiliated, sponsored or endorsed by Blizzard and are related or connected to Warcraft III.

Deusx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Deusx

@djaoni said:

Defense of the Gaben.

You win sir. This thread is done. Everyone go home.

NickL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By NickL

@LordXavierBritish said:

Since when does Blizzard own DotA.

Technically they own anything that was made in the wc3 map editor (which dota was) but that doesn't really matter

Blizzard isn't trying to take it for themselves, they just want it to stay in the public domain. (at least for now)

Snickersnee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Snickersnee

@djaoni: I can go with this

on a serious note though fuck blizzard and always being a buzz kill

sungahymn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By sungahymn

???

jetsetwillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By jetsetwillie

@Snickersnee said:

@djaoni: I can go with this

on a serious note though fuck blizzard and always being a buzz kill

when else have they done something like this then. or is always a typical internet exaggeration

Talis12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Talis12

im pretty sure valve knows when they can use a name and when they cant..

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Dota = Warcraft = Blizzard.

If you say DOTA2 the first thought in my mind would be the new Blizzard DOTA game, not Valve's.
Valve should fuck off and make Half Life 3.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#46  Edited By MysteriousBob

What does DOTA even stand for?

Hell, what is it?

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By probablytuna

This is gonna be interesting.

Avatar image for deactivated-590b7522e5236
deactivated-590b7522e5236

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Apparently, some of the original designers got snapped up by valve, this changes EVERYTHING, valve now has more right to the name than blizzard ever did.

END OF STORY.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

@Jace said:

Unless it was stated that anything created with that editor was property of Blizzard, it wouldn't suddenly belong to them. And I'm pretty sure it wasn't until SC2 that any sort of language along those lines was in the EULA of Blizzard games.

Even then, the name itself shouldn't belong to anyone, as the NAME wasn't made in the editor. Sort of like using Unreal Engine for your game. You owe unreal for the technology, not anything else. They don't get anything for the game design, the assets, plot/concept, or the IP.

@Marz said:

Dota 2 was a stupid name anyways.. I can see why Blizzard wants to enforce this, if Valve got the trademark unopposed then Blizzard would have to scrap Starcraft DOTA because Valve may just sue them for the name in a reversal.

It'd be easy to name that Starcraft Dota something else. "Starcraft of Legends" or something clever like that.

@cyraxible said:

The name has grown outside of Blizzard's properties, this just seems like throwing a tantrum because Valve beat them to the punch.

Really the name belongs to the community and the people who developed the mod... Well, that is until Valve slapped some money down on the table and hired those people.

This seems a little more accurate. I hate when people say a game belongs "to the community". No, it belongs to whoever made it.

Olu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Olu

@masterpaperlink: except icefrog wasn't sole creator of Dota.