Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#101  Edited By xxizzypop

@JoeyRavn said:

@Asurastrike said:

The whole situation is kind of weird. Really do either of those companies have the right to use the name DOTA?

I don't know if it's of any relevance, but the word "superhero" is copyrighted jointly by Marvel Comics and DC Comics. I guess this could potentially be the same case, right? Still, fuck EA, go Valve.

...what the hell does EA have to do with anything in here?

NaDannMaGoGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#102  Edited By NaDannMaGoGo

@xxizzypop said:

@JoeyRavn said:

@Asurastrike said:

The whole situation is kind of weird. Really do either of those companies have the right to use the name DOTA?

I don't know if it's of any relevance, but the word "superhero" is copyrighted jointly by Marvel Comics and DC Comics. I guess this could potentially be the same case, right? Still, fuck EA, go Valve.

...what the hell does EA have to do with anything in here?

I actually like that approach, whenever you want to say "fuck *developer xyz*" you say "Fuck EA". It's at least always justified!

bushpusherr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#103  Edited By bushpusherr

Wait, wasn't the original Dota an acronym? Meaning Defense of the Ancients? Sooo, if someone made a game called Dota, no acronym, is that infringing? I mean, thats like Activision keeping someone from naming their game "Cod" because thats what Call of Duty is known as to some people.

I realize thats not exactly the case here, considering Dota 2 is an exact sequel to the first one, but perhaps thats a loophole in this that could be exploited

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#104  Edited By Hailinel
@jakob187 I'm pretty sure that Valve has released more games than Blizzard over the last five years or so.
Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#105  Edited By Pibo47

What about all that ice frog shit? Doesnt anyone remember that? Cuz im pretty sure that was teh guy who owned the rights to DOTA and Valve bought it from him.

pw2566ch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#106  Edited By pw2566ch

@CptBedlam said:

Misleading topic title ... or most of you didn't understand the issue here: Valve tried to file a trademark for DOTA so no one else can use it ... Blizzard just fights back here.

I understand that part. I believe the part that's getting everyone pissed off is that Blizzard believes they own the right to DOTA because it was a Warcraft III mod. I believe Valve has a right to trademark it because they have the people that actually made DOTA on their team.