#1 Posted by MIALER_DAEMON (436 posts) -

Thanks no doubt to the company's Steam service, Valve president Gabe Newell believes the firm will soon be making more money from the sale of downloaded games than from retail boxed copies.

"Right now we're seeing close to 200 percent growth in the alternative ways of connecting with customers," Newell revealed. "It will actually pass over in the next three months, how much of our business is coming from retail versus how much is coming from other channels."

Additionally, Newell revealed Valve's intention toward offering non-gaming software through the Steam platform. "It's something that we're looking at. Right now we're focused on games, but I think as we get more mature, there's no reason that we wouldn't."

As an example of this eventual possibility, Newell presented the idea of distributing the Firefox browser through Steam, with the company's upcoming Steam Cloud online data storage system used to store bookmarks and settings on a central, remote server.

Digital overtaking retail for Valve [GamesIndustry.biz]

haha, I think steam very cool and valve good for pc. Microsoft stupid assholes i think compared, agree yes?

#2 Posted by Cirdain (2996 posts) -

oh that nice...
MIALER_DAEMON
said:

haha, I think steam very cool and valve good for pc. Microsoft stupid assholes i think compared, agree yes?

No I think Valve has that best marketing campaign through Steam, And everyone has it because of Counter Strike 1.6 and Source and Half-life 2 so no I don't think Microsoft stupid assholes compared there just not as popular. Gearbox are because they made the Halo port so well and i'm gonna buy the next brothers in arms.
#3 Posted by MIALER_DAEMON (436 posts) -

on pc windows live massive ultimate fail

#4 Posted by xruntime (1920 posts) -

Though I'm not a big fan of the overhead that Steam creates, it has some nice features, and its convenient

#5 Posted by pause422 (6170 posts) -

this is definitely true...and I guess to each their own, but my experience with steam and the quality of it, is something that is better than xbl by 100 fold imo.

#6 Posted by Agent_Lost (899 posts) -

It amazing how Steam turn out, i still remember steam in the Half-Life 2 launch, oh that was a mess. Now it the best thing there is on the PC. Nice work Valve, nice work.

#7 Posted by MIALER_DAEMON (436 posts) -

I was "wtf is this shit" when bought halflife 2 haha

#8 Posted by atejas (3057 posts) -

Aside from the fact that Steam's a memory-hog, it's fucking brilliant on Valve's part.

#9 Posted by MIALER_DAEMON (436 posts) -

I think Gabe pc's Jesus. Filthy traitors like cliffy B stupid assholes.

#10 Posted by MIALER_DAEMON (436 posts) -

I think Gabe pc's Jesus. Filthy traitors like cliffy B stupid assholes.

#11 Posted by pause422 (6170 posts) -
atejas said:
"Aside from the fact that Steam's a memory-hog, it's fucking brilliant on Valve's part."
is it really? I have a shitty old PC atm(like 6 years old, getting new one in like 2 weeks) and I notice it always takes a while to come up kinda, but never really caused any problems, even with the HL2 launch thing, I had mine already downloaded to my PC and was playing it like 2 minutes after midnight with no problems..god I love steam.
#12 Posted by Vaxadrin (2297 posts) -
MIALER_DAEMON said:
"I think Gabe pc's Jesus. Filthy traitors like cliffy B stupid assholes."
I think you should not be so threatened by the 360's existence.  It's not "us vs them".  Valve is making a really good 360 game with Left 4 Dead and having dedicated servers for it.  Does that make them traitors as well?
#13 Edited by pause422 (6170 posts) -

Not when its PC first even for Left 4 Dead, as in it will be superior on PC, pretty much all of valves games always will be just cuz of the mod community and what people can do with t hem. Some games even if they are always released on console as well, just will never feel quite right on them and will only feel right on PC, I think TF2 is a great example of this, Left 4 Dead will be as well, they will be 'fine' on consoles, but will just be so much better on PC's, even from just the feel.

#14 Posted by atejas (3057 posts) -
pause422 said:
"atejas said:
"Aside from the fact that Steam's a memory-hog, it's fucking brilliant on Valve's part."
is it really? I have a shitty old PC atm(like 6 years old, getting new one in like 2 weeks) and I notice it always takes a while to come up kinda, but never really caused any problems, even with the HL2 launch thing, I had mine already downloaded to my PC and was playing it like 2 minutes after midnight with no problems..god I love steam."

It's good like that, but a couple of times it's hung my IE, so yeah....
#15 Posted by xruntime (1920 posts) -
pause422 said:
"atejas said:
is it really? I have a shitty old PC atm(like 6 years old, getting new one in like 2 weeks) and I notice it always takes a while to come up kinda, but never really caused any problems, even with the HL2 launch thing, I had mine already downloaded to my PC and was playing it like 2 minutes after midnight with no problems..god I love steam."
Yeah, it's really bloated. I wish Steam would just tone it down a bit, it takes a long time to load up, and then the interface is sometimes a bit unresponsive, and it takes up like 80 mb of ram after you've been running it for a while.
#16 Posted by MIALER_DAEMON (436 posts) -
Vaxadrin said:
"MIALER_DAEMON said:
"I think Gabe pc's Jesus. Filthy traitors like cliffy B stupid assholes."
I think you should not be so threatened by the 360's existence.  It's not "us vs them".  Valve is making a really good 360 game with Left 4 Dead and having dedicated servers for it.  Does that make them traitors as well?"
cliff b say fuckoff to pc and chase money train i think. Gabe make great games instead.
#17 Posted by Vaxadrin (2297 posts) -
pause422 said:
"Not when its PC first even for Left 4 Dead, as in it will be superior on PC, pretty much all of valves games always will be just cuz of the mod community and what people can do with t hem. Some games even if they are always released on console as well, just will never feel quite right on them and will only feel right on PC, I think TF2 is a great example of this, Left 4 Dead will be as well, they will be 'fine' on consoles, but will just be so much better on PC's, even from just the feel."
To someone who's preferred control scheme is a keyboard and mouse, yes.  The thing to keep in mind is that it maybe "feel" better on a console to alot of people, regardless of what the originating platform is.
#18 Posted by pause422 (6170 posts) -

The difference is Cliff is now doing only 360 games in Gears(though epic recently signed a deal with EA and is working on a game with them I believe, that is multiplatform) while valve will always make games for the PC first and foremost, and consoles second(not talking about release dates, as in lead developed on PC, made better on PC) so them doing a game for both PC and 360 isn't a big deal, you know which one will be better in all honesty, also...valve making new IP's like Left 4 Dead just reignites the whole thing, as with Epic, most people are kind of UT'd out, hence UT3 didn't do to well, and plenty just stick with 2004, so until they come up with another big game for PC they won't ever be on the same ground as valve with PC dudes.

#19 Posted by MattyFTM (14328 posts) -

Nice find. Interesting.

#20 Posted by SmugDarkLoser (4619 posts) -

maybe for valve games, but not in general.

people prefer hard copies
yea, it happened for music but thats because of the rise of mp3 players basically (and piracy). 

never happened for movies despite the fact that the majority of people have access to digital downloads

#21 Posted by Arkthemaniac (6535 posts) -

Unless Diablo 3 is downloadable on Steam, no thanks.

#22 Posted by Major (506 posts) -
Arkthemaniac said:
"Unless Diablo 3 is downloadable on Steam, no thanks."
Blizzard has their own downloadable service on their website.. You may see it on there one day but never on Steam
#23 Posted by WilliamRLBaker (4777 posts) -

Does any one notice something?
That its valve thats saying this and the reason they say it is because nearly every thing they do in the company is about digital distribution, marketing, games...every thing is being tailored for this, I never see any valve game commercials on tv any more, When you put your entire buisness around a concept it tends that concept for you will become your biggest money maker.

I just wanted to say that cause valve/steam try to make out this was just the natural evolution of the buisness and that they had no hand in making it happen, when infact they did.

#24 Posted by Jonathan (654 posts) -

I am always weary of download vs retail. I still don't like to buy movies or some music over the internet, but I love steam. I don't need to waste box space all over my house, I don't need to make sure to save flimsy boxes and instruction manuals just to have the activation code, and whenever I get a new PC I can download it again for free! It's perfect.