Valve have to be working on new Source Engine!

Avatar image for machofantastico
MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By MachoFantastico

Surely, considering no news on Episode 3 still. It's possible we might see something but I doubt it. Considering the time gap, I suspect Valve are building a new Source engine for Episode 3 rather then one for Half Life 3.... I dunno! Just so sick of not hearing anything about it. :(

Come on Valve!

Colin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By Colin

Would be a nice suprise if ep3 came out on a new source engine but will would probably have to wait a few more years. :(

AgentofChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By AgentofChaos

Oh I seriously can't wait another like 3 years for HL2: EP3

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Scooper

It would probably be a bummer if you didn't have a boss-ballin' rig and were super into the HL2 story arc only to find out you can't play the last one. Unless ofcourse it scales amazingly like the current Scource Engine does.

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Gizmo

My friend has done AI testing for E3 and has told me the following;

HL2:E3 will be the last Valve game using this iteration of the source engine, the next version is being worked on currently.

Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6  Edited By Ineedaname

Could do with a new one, hopefully spark some new non-sequel games.

Biddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Biddy

Argh, the wait on the game is excruciating.

Avatar image for pissedoffthewitch
pissedoffthewitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#8  Edited By pissedoffthewitch

They must be planning something pretty big for the final episode

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

Why doesn't Valve just expand to be bigger?

Biddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By Biddy
@SmugDarkLoser: I think I remember them saying that they like the feel of a small game company as opposed to a big one. Everybody does something.
The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By The_A_Drain

Why would they build a new Source engine? It would either be an upgrade, or a totally new engine. And given Valves track record i'd say the best you can hope for for a few years yet is another upgrade. Just be patient, valve are doing a lot of stuff right now considering the size of their company is actually pretty small.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

Introducing the Black Box with Portal 2, Left 8 Dead, and Half Life 2 Episode 3.

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By atejas

Between L4D2 and the Team Fortress randomised updates, I don't know what Valve's doing anymore.

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By The_A_Drain
@JacobBrodersen:

Why? Freeman's story has to end somewhere, and I honestly don't think another character could carry the story as well as Freeman, I wouldn't mind some more spin-offs, but as Valve have already announced that Ep3 would be the end of Freemans story (but not necessarily, meaning they arent sure yet themselves, the end of the HL franchise) I don't think it's prudent to go around assuming there will be a HL3. Even if there is, don't expect it for like, 27 years.
Alex_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By Alex_V

I don't quite understand what a new source engine would do that the existing one doesn't already do. Unless it's 3D or VR or something.

JakJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By JakJ
@Gizmo said:
" My friend has done AI testing for E3 and has told me the following;HL2:E3 will be the last Valve game using this iteration of the source engine, the next version is being worked on currently. "
The L4D trailer looked very Source-y. Is it still using the Source engine or are you saying we're getting a sequel to a game that came out after EP2 before EP3?
mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#19  Edited By mracoon

I'm quite sure Ep3 will come out next year. I think they probably wanted to wait so they could release it in a package with Portal 2 and maybe something else. They could call it '[Insert Colour Here] Box'.

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By The_A_Drain
@JacobBrodersen:

Whether you like to think so or not, Freemans character (or lack thereof) is part of what makes him and his franchise so unique, dropping that character design would not be a good way to string out the franchise.

There won't be an Ep4 whether Freeman lives or dies, Valve have already said this.

And if a Half - Life main character had something to say, it would be Generic FPS #12345432 nowadays, given that it's tremendous attention to detail and sharp storytelling are the only things the series still has going for it when you realise that any studio can make a half decent FPS nowadays.

Whatever Valve do i'll support them, but I honestly don't see them replacing Freeman with some other person, they know when to drop it and I think that aside from a few spinoffs, unless maybe Chell takes over as the main protagonist, we won't see anything like what you are suggesting. And if we do, i'll be quite happy to eat this hat... cake.
JakJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By JakJ
@Fragstoff said:
" They put Episode 3 on hold so they could screw us over with L4D2

@JakJ - how does the L4D2 trailer look ''Source-y''? You can't tell what engine a game is using by a pre-rendered cut sequence. But your right, the gameplay shows that not only is it the source engine, but its also the same game as the 2008 release.btw, Valve is officially FAIL after this stunt. "
It may have been CG, but it was at least based off the Source engine. You can tell its the Source engine from lots of little things, mostly the back ground, like when all the Zombies are on the bridge. It's something about how it handles draw distance, I can't quite explain, but it is unique to the Source engine.