VGX 2013: Did Joel McHale make the show better?

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

Poll VGX 2013: Did Joel McHale make the show better? (1010 votes)

Yes 48%
No 52%

So this seems to be somewhat of a divisive opinion regarding the VGX 2013. In your opinion, did Joel McHale's presence make the show better with his fantastic jokes, or did he make the show that much worse and maybe Geoff should have hosted the whole thing himself?

• 
hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@hatking said:

I'm so fucking sick of the cynicism that plagues this industry. It was refreshing to see somebody trying to laugh for a change. The problem was that each time he tried to make fun, Geoff shot it down like the show would end if people enjoyed themselves. Hey, asshat, it's an "awards" show. It's not about your fucking scoop. Let these people enjoy themselves. All the whining on Twitter coming from industry people is driving me insane. Why do you people do this? You get no fucking enjoyment out of it.

This. For some reason, the gaming press and a large number of users on this website (and other gaming sites) come off a miserable people. The reason I enjoy listening to the GB crew is that they often have fun playing video games...... even bad ones. I'm going to stop before I go on a rant complaining about people complaining

Yes! I feel like Giant Bomb is the last bastion of people having fun with games on the internet. After all the cynicism last night I had to watch a bunch of Vinny Quick Looks just to remind myself that not everybody is an unbearable asshole.

Zornack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I think the writers made it terrible. Joel proved he could be a good host when he hosted Ubisoft's E3 conference. The terrible VGX writers who decided to merge the VGAs and The Soup are the ones to blame.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

I don't understand why they can't get this show done right. Stop trying to be some big comedy fest or something and just be a real award show. Take it more seriously and stop trying to do lame "gam3r" shit.

It's easy to do. You don't have to be stuffy. Just be laid back about it and give out some awards.

Sil3n7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#254  Edited By Sil3n7

@fluttercry said:

@sil3n7 said:

@fluttercry said:

Honestly, I'm certain that everyone that didn't like Joel takes games way too seriously. It's fucking video games, not the academy awards. Joel McHale did what Joel McHale does, and watching him put Dewrito Pope on the spot was golden.

Good Lord. You are the exact reason this show continues to exist in it's terrible form.

No, it's people like you trying to force video games to be art. If it weren't for that, people like Joel couldn't shit all over the show and make you look like fools.

You are a complete contradiction, Why are you on a video game website that clearly values games as something more than just meaningless distractions? No wonder the industry can't move forward with people like you in the crowd. You are more harmful than people who casually dismiss games. You seem actively against any form of respect for them. Gross.

winsord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#255  Edited By winsord

Most of his ad libbed material was pretty amusing, but you could usually very easily tell when he swapped back to the script. I thinking the pairing between him and Geoff was alright, but could have been better if Geoff had loosened up a bit. People seem pretty quick to be upset by Joel's jokes as they weren't wholly positive every time, 'He doesn't take our medium seriously!', but taking it with a grain of salt I found I enjoyed it. To be fair, I missed the first half of the show, and from the sounds of it Joel warmed up quite a bit after things had been going for a while. If they were to toss the script but still give him basic direction, as well as a co-host that was a little looser, I think it could work really well, but I just don't know that his and Geoff's styles of hosting meshed that well. If I were to suggest a celebrity host, I think Geoff and Elijah Wood would probably work very well together.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f0e8dcf3078d
deactivated-5f0e8dcf3078d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sil3n7 said:

@fluttercry said:

@sil3n7 said:

@fluttercry said:

Honestly, I'm certain that everyone that didn't like Joel takes games way too seriously. It's fucking video games, not the academy awards. Joel McHale did what Joel McHale does, and watching him put Dewrito Pope on the spot was golden.

Good Lord. You are the exact reason this show continues to exist in it's terrible form.

No, it's people like you trying to force video games to be art. If it weren't for that, people like Joel couldn't shit all over the show and make you look like fools.

You are a complete contradiction, Why are you on a video game website that clearly values games as something more than just meaningless distractions? No wonder the industry can't move forward with people like you in the crowd.

I don't think games are meaningless distractions. They're something I enjoy and I have fun playing them as a hobby. But I don't think for a second that it's a serious artistic medium that needs a serious awards show. If the industry "moving forward" means a future of Bioshock Infinite and Gone Home, then I should probably get out while I can.

kadayi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. there were a lot of mis-steps in the show overall, but the guy was a complete liability rather than an asset. The only people who seem to derive any pleasure out of the whole thing are those who actively dislike the premise of the show overall. Still when you're talking about a crowd for whom any game announcement is somehow transformed into 'PR shill bullshit' you've kind of reach a zero sum point where in all news is somehow to be resented (Oh my god how dare these developers and publishers tell me about these upcoming games of theirs!!!).

Was anyone honestly expecting Reggie to start talking smack about Xbone or PS4? Was anyone expecting Tim Shaffer to openly state how much Doublefine are paying Elijah Wood for Broken Age? Was anyone expecting telltale to say whether there would be sexscenes in the just announced GoT game? All of those questions and more just caused awkwardness, but none of them were ever asked with the intention of being answered.

I think in future they need firstly ensure they have a co-host who actively gives a damn about games and has a modicum of respect for those who make them. Secondly they need to only interview people who has something worthwhile to say. None of this 'we can't talk about that right now' non interview BS. Thirdly cut the dismal comedy skits, they were all terrible. Fourthly big up the actual awards. Rather than giving people a laundry list of nominated titles, go a bit more in depth about them in terms of explaining the premise and game play. Doesn't need to be super long, but just enough to paint a picture for people. 'Bioshock infinite: You play pinkerton detective Booker DeWitt who finds himself transported to Columbia a floating city built by the mysterious ....' Coupled with some game footage.

Nymphonomicon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#259  Edited By Nymphonomicon

"VGX 2013: Did Joel McHale make the show better?"

Better than what? Dying of cancer? Being burned alive?

No. This was a trainwreck and Joel only made things worse.

donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

When he went off script, hell yeah.

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

For everyone that voted Yes:

I love y'all.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

FengShuiGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Video games aint gonna be taken seriously yet.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

IF the whole show was based around that sort of self deprecating, disinterested humor that would be ok because when you'd drop an incredibly awkward non sequitur there'd be another dood to pick right up from it with one of his own. But they have game developers and industry folk show up that don't all have a great sense of humor - people that really need the straight laced Geoff Keighley approach - then McHale kinda half shits on them, half shits on the show and shrugs his shoulders as if to say "hey my agent said this was gonna be easy money but wow what a bad decision this was!"

They should really just have Keighley host it himself, keep the production to a minimum and show a whole bunch of cool exclusive clips.

SomberOwl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He came off as a condescending jerk to me. Treating the industry like a joke. They should have someone respectable from the industry host it. I saw some suggestions that Adam Sessler should host. Thats a good option. Also developers with lots of charisma and enthusiasm for the industry could make good hosts. People such as Randy Pitchford, Cliff Bleszinski, Tim Schaffer, or David Jaffe. Those are just some from the industry that could make a good host.

jsnyder82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#266  Edited By jsnyder82

@somberowl said:

He came off as a condescending jerk to me. Treating the industry like a joke. They should have someone respectable from the industry host it. I saw some suggestions that Adam Sessler should host. Thats a good option. Also developers with lots of charisma and enthusiasm for the industry could make good hosts. People such as Randy Pitchford, Cliff Bleszinski, Tim Schaffer, or David Jaffe. Those are just some from the industry that could make a good host.

Shhhh. We're not supposed to like Adam Sessler now, because he made some cryptic tweets a month ago, and contradicted himself in one of his videos. Because that's all it takes from becoming well-respected journalist to piece of shit, according to the gaming community.

jay_ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People forget that this show still has to be approved by some middle aged white guy in a suit that controls the money. So the suit says we need a snarky comedian cause that's what those kids like right? Oh and get some guys from the GTA5 soundtrack to sing in there too, but make sure they're cheap cause this is going on Spike.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kadayi said:

No. there were a lot of mis-steps in the show overall, but the guy was a complete liability rather than an asset. The only people who seem to derive any pleasure out of the whole thing are those who actively dislike the premise of the show overall. Still when you're talking about a crowd for whom any game announcement is somehow transformed into 'PR shill bullshit' you've kind of reach a zero sum point where in all news is somehow to be resented (Oh my god how dare these developers and publishers tell me about these upcoming games of theirs!!!).

Was anyone honestly expecting Reggie to start talking smack about Xbone or PS4? Was anyone expecting Tim Shaffer to openly state how much Doublefine are paying Elijah Wood for Broken Age? Was anyone expecting telltale to say whether there would be sexscenes in the just announced GoT game? All of those questions and more just caused awkwardness, but none of them were ever asked with the intention of being answered.

I think in future they need firstly ensure they have a co-host who actively gives a damn about games and has a modicum of respect for those who make them. Secondly they need to only interview people who has something worthwhile to say. None of this 'we can't talk about that right now' non interview BS. Thirdly cut the dismal comedy skits, they were all terrible. Fourthly big up the actual awards. Rather than giving people a laundry list of nominated titles, go a bit more in depth about them in terms of explaining the premise and game play. Doesn't need to be super long, but just enough to paint a picture for people. 'Bioshock infinite: You play pinkerton detective Booker DeWitt who finds himself transported to Columbia a floating city built by the mysterious ....' Coupled with some game footage.

I agree 100%

And to put a finishing touch to this stupid debate here is a guy who actually knows what he's talking about:

No Caption Provided

Fuwano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Him asking Reggie how much money he makes made the whole show for me. Awesome awkwardness.

TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nah, dude just seemed rude....and very drunk. He brought down what was otherwise a decent show.

Surely you're joking.

mclargepants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#271  Edited By mclargepants

I don't think that Joel was the problem per se, it was more that the he and Geoff had no chemistry what so ever. I still disagree that they need a celebrity (whether or not they're actually "gamers" is irrelevant) to legitimize the thing, but Geoff is seriously a boring dude.

Somebody said it in the chat last night, Ryan Davis would be the ultimate host for that thing. That or Gerstmann/John Drake, I'd watch the shit out of that.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 45

Joel did his thing, but his thing isn't suited to that kind of show.

Or rather what that show should be, but I guess maybe it did fit with what a crapfest glorified Hypetrain the VGA/X seems to be.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

@fuwano said:

Him asking Reggie how much money he makes made the whole show for me. Awesome awkwardness.

Asking anyone what their salary is is pretty rude, actually.

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I knew we were in for a shit show when Assassin's Creed 4 won best Action Game

Avatar image for alwaysbebombing
alwaysbebombing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm honestly wondering if people know that Joel McHale's entire persona is to be a rude, condescending, jerk? Community, The Soup. It's the kind of humor he uses. I'm in no way defending his performance by any means. I am just curious as to what people expected from someone who's entire career is about being a sexy jerk. Like Robert Downy Jr.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#276  Edited By GaspoweR

I don't think that Joel was the problem per se, it was more that the he and Geoff had no chemistry what so ever. I still disagree that they need a celebrity (whether or not they're actually "gamers" is irrelevant) to legitimize the thing, but Geoff is seriously a boring dude.

Somebody said it in the chat last night, Ryan Davis would be the ultimate host for that thing. That or Gerstmann/John Drake, I'd watch the shit out of that.

If they actually wanted someone who is somewhat known to people in the main stream and is also a comedian who cares about games than Chris Hardwick would have been a great choice.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#277  Edited By musubi

@demoskinos said:

Nah, dude just seemed rude....and very drunk. He brought down what was otherwise a decent show.

Surely you're joking.

I enjoyed what I saw. Sorry if I'm not overly cynical and can just enjoy the show for what it was.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

@hailinel said:

@fuwano said:

Reggie should have just come back with "Way more than you buddy"

Jacktrote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

@fuwano said:

Reggie should have just come back with "Way more than you buddy"

Is that true though?

I have no perception or knowledge of job-salary ratios whatsoever. It makes me feel stupid.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#280 gamer_152  Moderator

I didn't like McHale on the whole. There were bits where I was on board and liked his deliberately deadpan snarky humour, but as I saw him continually try to throw developers off and generally try to make them uncomfortable, I just got really turned off. It was this bizarre mix as Keighley was apparently trying to celebrate the games industry while McHale seemed intent to sneer at it as much as possible.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really liked it when he kept talking over Tim Schafer.

#culture

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I don't think so. The little I have seen, it looked like he was more disinterested than witty. Like he had no interest being there and was hellbent on doing the absolute least he could do to even fake interest.

The jokes felt completely flat because he didn't give a shit even to say them. It was like watching someone reading jokes from a teleprompter while being bored to death. Heyman and Burns did more for the show in 2 minutes than McHale did in 3 hours.

thatdutchguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#283  Edited By thatdutchguy

yes

Avatar image for deactivated-5a995178e28eb
deactivated-5a995178e28eb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Did they expect him to take it seriously?

VGX? What the hell? It's all promotional stuff like trailers and interviews... it's so completely transparent.

Calling this thing an awards show is silly. It also betrays the true audience of video games, making it seem like it caters only to people who like guns and explosions with an occasional whimsical RPG.

VGX is nothing more than the big 5 studios buying some time to show their new stuff on TV.

These are the growing pains of the industry.

breton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not really. But only because of the stark contrast of personalities between him and Geoff. Geoff's just a soulless public relations marketing lapdog who will sweet talk your game in front of a camera and Joel is someone who wants to mock the fact that he's in the middle of a three hour long advertisement - together they make an awkward team. I think what could be said is I might enjoy a VGA with Joel solo hosting and I know I won't enjoy a VGA with Geoff present.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f0e8dcf3078d
deactivated-5f0e8dcf3078d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@breton said:

Not really. But only because of the stark contrast of personalities between him and Geoff. Geoff's just a soulless public relations marketing lapdog who will sweet talk your game in front of a camera and Joel is someone who wants to mock the fact that he's in the middle of a three hour long advertisement - together they make an awkward team. I think what could be said is I might enjoy a VGA with Joel solo hosting and I know I won't enjoy a VGA with Geoff present.

Geoff was shillin' hard as always. So it was nice to see him put on the spot.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

He showed how absolutely terrible this show is so i guess he did?

warmasterx6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have always found these awards to be terrible in their own special way. Without Joel I think i would of fallen asleep given how terrible the script was. He was an asshole who tore the awards a new one. I think it was entirely necessary given the history of the Spike VGA. Luckily they improved on the advertisement not being entirely over the top this time.