#1 Posted by The_Ruiner (985 posts) -

I've been reading Dragon Age: The Stolen Throne. It's pretty great. I know a lot of people swear by the Halo books and I also like the first Mass Effect book. But are there any game books you've really enjoyed?

#2 Posted by RE_Player1 (7545 posts) -

The first Mass Effect book was fantastic and the Dead Space book was good for what it was.

#3 Posted by Lavos (66 posts) -

I really enjoyed the Myst books. The morality dynamic of "creating" the worlds via the books versus "linking" to pre-existing worlds in infinite space is interesting.

Here's all 3 books on Amazon.

#4 Posted by NinjaBerd (221 posts) -

Mass Effect: Revelation by Drew Karpyshyn

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline

Those are the only two I can recommend, and I suppose Ready Player One is kind of a stretch, since its not about actual games.

#5 Posted by Nentisys (883 posts) -

Halo: Fall of Reach was pretty good.

#6 Posted by NinjaBerd (221 posts) -

Anyone know if those Elder Scrolls books are worth it?

#7 Posted by SeanFoster (854 posts) -

The Stolen Throne!

#8 Posted by GalacticPunt (1016 posts) -

I got a fan novelization of Planescape: Torment when I bought it on GOG. It's fantastic, and I think it's free for anyone who does a web search for it.

Basically someone transcribed every bit of dialogue from his playthrough of the game, and tied it together with decent narration, not just "and then they fight." When I got to a point in the game where I couldn't take the combat anymore, I picked up from that point in the book.

#9 Posted by sir_gunblade (116 posts) -

I'm reading through Machinations (Ultima: The Technocrat War, Book 1) right now. It's quite good.

#10 Posted by BaneFireLord (2907 posts) -

Does Neal Stephenson's Reamde count? That was pretty fun.

#11 Posted by CptBedlam (4449 posts) -

The novel that came with Stonekeep. It's also the only video game related book I've read.

#12 Posted by BBAlpert (1354 posts) -

I really liked the first few Resident Evil novels when I read them in like 1999, but I was in middle school and had pretty bad taste, so I can't vouch for their actual quality.

The Warhammer and Warhammer 40K books can be pretty good, but I don't know if you'd count those as video game books simply because there are WH video games. Some of the 40K books do cover events specifically related to some of the games, but I haven't read any of those.

#13 Posted by Sploder (917 posts) -

The Gears of War books by Karen Traviss are great.

#14 Edited by Patchcoat (132 posts) -
#15 Posted by Hizang (8534 posts) -

The novelisation of MGS1 is alright.

#16 Edited by MattyFTM (14328 posts) -

The first three Mass Effect books are pretty awesome.

Also, while not strictly a "video game book", any video game loving bibliophile needs to read Ready Player One by Ernest Cline. It's a fantastic book steeped in video game references and is a really enjoyable read.

#17 Posted by bmehlers (128 posts) -

I bought the first three Mass Effect books a while back, but haven't started reading them yet. I also just picked up the Witcher book "The Last Wish"; since I love the games so much I wanted to read some of the source material.

#18 Posted by tread311 (352 posts) -

The Nylund Halo books are really good. I liked him as an author before then and was very pleased with what he did with them.

#19 Edited by Canteu (2821 posts) -

I thoroughly enjoy Fall of Reach and First Strike. The Flood however, can eat a dick.

@BBAlpert: Fire Warrior isn't bad. Way better than the game at least.

#20 Posted by csl316 (7976 posts) -

The Fall of Reach is one of the best game books released.  I can't imagine what it'd be like playing Halo without knowing about the whole Spartan II experience.  The first Mass Effect book was great, with some good stuff in Retribution.   

Blizzard used to put out some awesome ones.  The earlier Warcraft books were really good, such as the Well of Eternity books, Day of the Dragon, Lord of the Clans, Rise of the Horde.  Along with the Diablo universe (Kingdom of Shadow, especially.  Basically anything by Richard Knaak).  I quite enjoyed Speed of Darkness, a short Starcraft novel about the marines.  I, Mengsk was another good SC thing that led into Starcraft 2's disappointing narrative.

And then Masters of Doom, which is all about id and the two Johns.  But that's nonfiction (I think!)

#21 Posted by craigieh28 (73 posts) -

I know it came before the games, so isn't strictly a videogame book, but The Last Wish by Andrzej Sapkowski is a great introduction to The Witcher's universe.

#22 Posted by crusader8463 (14411 posts) -

Splinter Cell, the first two Dragon Age novels, the trilogy of Halo novel plus the fall of reach, and the Republic Commando Novels and I loved them all.

#23 Posted by HarlechQuinn (444 posts) -

@GalacticPunt said:

I got a fan novelization of Planescape: Torment when I bought it on GOG. It's fantastic, and I think it's free for anyone who does a web search for it.

Basically someone transcribed every bit of dialogue from his playthrough of the game, and tied it together with decent narration, not just "and then they fight." When I got to a point in the game where I couldn't take the combat anymore, I picked up from that point in the book.

Besides this, there is also an official book to the game... which is unfortunately pretty mediocre at best... So for the best Planescape: Torment story experience stick with the game or the above mentioned novelization by Rhyss Hess...

#24 Posted by SlightConfuse (3963 posts) -

i know its not a video game book but i enjoyed the warhammer 40k books

Ravnor and ezienhorn

#25 Posted by StingerMK2 (386 posts) -

@BBAlpert said:

I really liked the first few Resident Evil novels when I read them in like 1999, but I was in middle school and had pretty bad taste, so I can't vouch for their actual quality.

haha, i was going to say pretty much this, at the time i remember them being awesome, even the 2 that didn't have direct links to the games impressed, fuck knows if ill think that now, it was over 10 years ago i read them

as pointed out by others the Mass Effect books are pretty crucial if you were a fan of the series

#26 Posted by HerbieBug (4194 posts) -

I've never read a video game based book.

Speaking of which, one of these days I'd like to see someone make a really kickass game about Ender's Game. Someone somewhere is going to come up with a fun way to do zero-G movement. Eventually. I hope.

#27 Posted by wemibelec90 (1495 posts) -

I've read the first three Mass Effect novels, most of the Halo books, most of the Resident Evil books, and the the Splinter Cell books. All those Mass Effect books were pretty good. Halo: Fall of Reach is still probably the best video game noveliziation I've ever read. The rest of the Halo books are a bit iffy in quality. The RE books are a bit silly but kind of interesting in the way they play out, especially the addition of a mysterious character named "Trent." The first two Splinter Cell books are pretty good but the others are a bit weak. It was the books that made me so attached to Sam's daughter and, as a result, so pissed off when she was "killed" in one of the games.

#28 Edited by hermes (1350 posts) -

In terms of games novelizations, the Mass Effect novels are pretty good. Especially the first one... Also, the Bioshock book has its moments. I wouldn't call it great, but its quite decent.

About books that talk about games, the industry and its history, "All your base are belong to us" and "Grand theft childhood" are good reading material.

Finally, about game making, I really enjoyed "The Art of Game Design", but I haven't read enough on the subject to know if there are better options out there.

PS: Believe it or not, there is a novelization of God of War. I would stay the heck away from it, as I barely made it through the introduction...

#29 Posted by _Zombie_ (1462 posts) -

ME: Revelation was a great book.

#30 Posted by HarlechQuinn (444 posts) -

@HerbieBug said:

I've never read a video game based book.

Speaking of which, one of these days I'd like to see someone make a really kickass game about Ender's Game. Someone somewhere is going to come up with a fun way to do zero-G movement. Eventually. I hope.

Remembering the Shadow Complex controversy ,this might get... at least interesting...

#31 Posted by Bane122 (783 posts) -

In general I think if you stay clear of adaptations, you'll be okay. I've enjoyed:

Halo

• Fall of Reach
  • Ghosts of Onix
  • The Cole Protocol
  • Greg Bear's Forerunner saga

Warcraft

• Lord of the Clans
  • Arthas

All of Drew Karpyshyn's Mass Effect work

All the Wing Commander books (been a long time since I've read them, though)

All of Karen Traviss' Gears work

Fable: The Balverine Order

Dragon Age: The Calling (this was actually my first Fantasy novel and I was extremely surprised by how good it was)

#32 Posted by Ezakael (909 posts) -

I enjoyed the Elder Scrolls novels quite a bit. I'm also a big fan of the all the Gears of War books as well. I actually have a lot of game related books on my shelf right now, Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Elder Scrolls, Gears of War, Halo, etc.

#33 Posted by Nightriff (4866 posts) -

I really want to read the first Witcher book (I know it was a book before the game), can anyone tell me that it is worth my time?

#34 Posted by GalacticGravy (540 posts) -

The first Mass Effect book, "Mass Effect: Redemption"

Didn't care for the other two, and I haven't tried the latest one yet.