Video Game Music: My New Obsession

ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 4

Edited By ImperiousRix

I've never been one to say that music is a large part of his life.  I don't frequently buy CDs, and though I certainly have enjoyed the few concerts I've attended, I can't say that I ever truly feel "good" about spending copious amounts of money to see one.  However, there is one type of music that, even since youth, has been my fondness for the music in video games.
Back in grade school, I can remember playing Sega Genesis, and getting the themes to Ryu's stage and Ken's stage from Street Fighter II stuck in my head all day.  It never occurred to me that this music was actually written and composed; legitimate pieces of music.  All I knew was that it was just a ridiculously catchy tune that I loved to hear while playing my favorite game.  The next generation came, and with it licensed soundtracks, but recently, the video game soundtrack seems to be experiencing a revival of sorts.  With Punch-Out!! and Bionic Commando reviving their classic themes from their NES predecessors, it makes me feel not only nostalgic for the video game soundtrack, but also have renewed appreciation and admiration for original video game themes, so I thought I'd just make a blog noting some of my favorites.

Anything from Megaman X and X2:
Although I certainly enjoy the little of every Megaman series that I've played, I can't say that includes a lot.  In fact, when I first played Megaman X, it was back in my pre-teen days, and I couldn't tell you I heard anything special about its soundtrack back in those days.  However, with my cousin Alex (Pukit here on GB) replaying the X series on his PC, he started sending me various tracks from the first game.  I was honestly blown away at the level of awesome-ness that the SNES put out with this one.  The entire

Don'tchoo know you gotta SPARK the monkey...
series appears to have a consistent theme of greatness in the soundtrack department, but X's Spark Mandrill, Storm Eagle, and Highway opening are just epic tracks with a shredding guitar and metal sound, not to mention X2's Flame Stag is just ridiculously heavy for a 2D platformer (which Pukit has done a pretty badass cover of).  This is definitely a soundtrack I could listen to all day everyday.  The soundtrack was redone for the PSP Maverick Hunters game, but trust me, the originals are better.
Spark Mandrill
Storm Eagle
Highway Opening
Flame Stag

Street Fighter II Stages:
As stated above, my first and perhaps favorite video game music tracks come from this game.  From the exhilerating Main Menu them to each fighters unique theme, the Street Fighter II soundtrack is a gem. My personal favorites are Ryu's, Ken's, and Vega's stage.  I felt it was seriously a missed opportunity that Street Fighter IV didn't just BEEF up and modernize the classic themes, but rather techno'd them up (blegh), but at least the classics are still immortalized in the game that practically invented the fighting game genre.
Main Theme
Ryu's Stage
Ken's Stage
Vega's Stage

Castlevania... PERIOD:
There is so much genius music in this entire series, I can't even recount.  Whether it's the original, Castlevania III on SNES, or any of the DS games, these games are perfect for each of their respective games.  I'm not even gonna keep talking, I'm getting right into the links here.
Vampire Killer
Theme of Simon Belmont
Super Castlevania IV Main Theme
Pitch Black Intrusion

Punch-Out!!:
As utterly fantastic as both Punch-Out's fight theme and training montage songs were back on the 8-bit NES, when the Wii version came out not but a week or so ago, the level at which those classic themes was lifted was amazing.  Not only does the main fight theme get several new variations, but both themes sound great with full instrumentation.  On top of all the great reasons to pick this re-made classic up, the soundtrack is definitely among them.  Doc stealing Mac's bike never sounded or looked so good.
Fight Theme
Training Montage

And here are just a few honorable mentions.  If you've stuck with this overly self-indulgent blog post, feel free to give your thoughts and post what game music YOU love.  Peace out.
HONORABLE MENTIONS:
Terminator: Taking to the Air
Bionic Commando Theme
God Of War: Minotaur Boss Battle
Donkey Kong 64: DK Rap
ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By ImperiousRix

I've never been one to say that music is a large part of his life.  I don't frequently buy CDs, and though I certainly have enjoyed the few concerts I've attended, I can't say that I ever truly feel "good" about spending copious amounts of money to see one.  However, there is one type of music that, even since youth, has been my fondness for the music in video games.
Back in grade school, I can remember playing Sega Genesis, and getting the themes to Ryu's stage and Ken's stage from Street Fighter II stuck in my head all day.  It never occurred to me that this music was actually written and composed; legitimate pieces of music.  All I knew was that it was just a ridiculously catchy tune that I loved to hear while playing my favorite game.  The next generation came, and with it licensed soundtracks, but recently, the video game soundtrack seems to be experiencing a revival of sorts.  With Punch-Out!! and Bionic Commando reviving their classic themes from their NES predecessors, it makes me feel not only nostalgic for the video game soundtrack, but also have renewed appreciation and admiration for original video game themes, so I thought I'd just make a blog noting some of my favorites.

Anything from Megaman X and X2:
Although I certainly enjoy the little of every Megaman series that I've played, I can't say that includes a lot.  In fact, when I first played Megaman X, it was back in my pre-teen days, and I couldn't tell you I heard anything special about its soundtrack back in those days.  However, with my cousin Alex (Pukit here on GB) replaying the X series on his PC, he started sending me various tracks from the first game.  I was honestly blown away at the level of awesome-ness that the SNES put out with this one.  The entire

series appears to have a consistent theme of greatness in the soundtrack department, but X's Spark Mandrill, Storm Eagle, and Highway opening are just epic tracks with a shredding guitar and metal sound, not to mention X2's Flame Stag is just ridiculously heavy for a 2D platformer (which Pukit has done a pretty badass cover of).  This is definitely a soundtrack I could listen to all day everyday.  The soundtrack was redone for the PSP Maverick Hunters game, but trust me, the originals are better.
Spark Mandrill
Storm Eagle
Highway Opening
Flame Stag

Street Fighter II Stages:
As stated above, my first and perhaps favorite video game music tracks come from this game.  From the exhilerating Main Menu them to each fighters unique theme, the Street Fighter II soundtrack is a gem. My personal favorites are Ryu's, Ken's, and Vega's stage.  I felt it was seriously a missed opportunity that Street Fighter IV didn't just BEEF up and modernize the classic themes, but rather techno'd them up (blegh), but at least the classics are still immortalized in the game that practically invented the fighting game genre.
Main Theme
Ryu's Stage
Ken's Stage
Vega's Stage

Castlevania... PERIOD:
There is so much genius music in this entire series, I can't even recount.  Whether it's the original, Castlevania III on SNES, or any of the DS games, these games are perfect for each of their respective games.  I'm not even gonna keep talking, I'm getting right into the links here.
Vampire Killer
Theme of Simon Belmont
Super Castlevania IV Main Theme
Pitch Black Intrusion

Punch-Out!!:
As utterly fantastic as both Punch-Out's fight theme and training montage songs were back on the 8-bit NES, when the Wii version came out not but a week or so ago, the level at which those classic themes was lifted was amazing.  Not only does the main fight theme get several new variations, but both themes sound great with full instrumentation.  On top of all the great reasons to pick this re-made classic up, the soundtrack is definitely among them.  Doc stealing Mac's bike never sounded or looked so good.
Fight Theme
Training Montage

And here are just a few honorable mentions.  If you've stuck with this overly self-indulgent blog post, feel free to give your thoughts and post what game music YOU love.  Peace out.
HONORABLE MENTIONS:
Terminator: Taking to the Air
Bionic Commando Theme
God Of War: Minotaur Boss Battle
Donkey Kong 64: DK Rap
The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By The_A_Drain
dethfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By dethfish

Recently I have been way into video game music too. There is tons of good stuff on iTunes. Entertainment System is really good.

Mega Man X1 has the best music in any game, in my opinion. Basically ever song in that game is good or great.

Sabata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Sabata

Needs some more Groeder's Anthem.

diz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By diz
ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ImperiousRix
diz said:
For some reason, I have always had the level 2 music from the Axelay game (SNES) in my head - ... [more]

That has a lot more of an orchestrated sound than I would expect in a Shoot 'em up dealing with space.
That's pretty damn good.
ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ImperiousRix
The_A_Drain said:
Great choices, check this thread, people posted a bunch more awesome classics you might like. http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/general-discussion/30/game-music/243960/#68

AGH, how could I forget the Legend of Zelda?!
This thread IS a gold mine, though.  Good find.
The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By The_A_Drain
@ImperiousRix:

I aim to please... Sometimes :P
ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ImperiousRix

I'm bumping this simply because... it took forever to write.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10  Edited By Seppli
ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ImperiousRix
@Seppli said:
"Thx for sharing! Always love to dig into somebodys music taste.

SilvaGunner on Youtube

Check out this dudes uploads. Sooo many videogame soundtracks. Amongst them, my favorite one.

SilviaGunner - Final Fantasy VI OST playlist

btw. does anyone know, why playlists on youtube tend to cop out after listening to 22 tracks?
"

This is a goldmine!
Ping5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#12  Edited By Ping5000

HUUUGUGUGUGHHRHHGHHGHGH. Mega Man music always completes me on a near daily basis.

I like a lot of Jeremy Soule stuff. His work on Oblivion in particular. Like this one:
demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#13  Edited By demonbear

I just posted this somewhere else but here goes :

Ping5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#14  Edited By Ping5000

Final Fantasy 3/6 is the only Final Fantasy game in the entire series.

SlowHands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Kou_Leifoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Kou_Leifoh

Street Fighter II has a good soundtrack but I think Street Fighter III has a much better soundtrack.

Check out the list.

Ryu's Theme

Ken & Alex's Theme

Sean's Theme

Yun & Yangs' Theme

Oro's Theme

Chun Li's Theme

Nerco's Theme

Urien's Theme

Ibuki's Theme

Elena"s Theme

Dudley's Theme

Remy's Theme

Akuma's Theme

Twelve's Theme

• "Snowland" (Third Strike)

Hugo's Theme

Q's Theme

• "Q"(Third Strike)

Gill's Theme

Clubvodka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By Clubvodka

I'll throw in the Metal Gear Solid 2 Theme and the MSG3 Theme, epic composistion by Harry Gregson Williams.
The Max Payne 2 Theme as well which you can download on the Max Payne 2 website.

Oh and anything from Personas 3 and 4!

SlowHands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#18  Edited By SlowHands
@Kou_Leifoh:  That is some list.
ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ImperiousRix
@Clubvodka said:
"I'll throw in the Metal Gear Solid 2 Theme and the MSG3 Theme, epic composistion by Harry Gregson Williams.The Max Payne 2 Theme as well which you can download on the Max Payne 2 website.Oh and anything from Personas 3 and 4! "

Oh yeh, MGS music is great.  Snake Eater is perhaps my favorite game AND song of the series.
And my friends have the Persona 4 soundtrack.  That's just fun listening right there.
ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ImperiousRix

The thing about Fable is it doesn't have the hooks of other video game soundtracks, but it is beautifully orchestrated.
Good find.
MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By MeierTheRed

Im not really into game sountracks, as i have never been into movie soundtrakcs/score. However the Mass Effect soundtrack is pretty good, and the Bionic Commando Rearmed soundtracks is nice too. Oh and not to forget the Street fighter II Turbo HD Remix soundtrack (hit link to goto download page on official site), witch you can get for free, and it has a couple of nice tracks on it.

Jambones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#22  Edited By Jambones

Bioshock's score was pretty rad. The Sam and Max soundtrack was pretty nice as well. :-)

cc23574

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By cc23574

Same for me, I'm listen like, right now to the Persona 4 soundtrack that came with the game. Awesome game, awesome soundtrack!

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#24  Edited By Nasar7

Dude, anything from the SNES era is golden. Also look at Batman for NES and Actraiser for SNES.

TheJollyRajah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25  Edited By TheJollyRajah

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#26  Edited By Nasar7

Here's a great one, along with the entire Seiken Densetsu 3 soundtrack. Check out the rest of that guy's list too, there's good stuff on there.

luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By luce

aww man..am i the only one who thinks LoZ: Majora's Mask "song of healing" is a great video game song?

eirikr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#28  Edited By eirikr

I'm a pretty big collector of game music, so let me impart some of my personal favorites - by no means exhaustive-, by system (some will naturally echo the great suggestions already made):

NES

Blaster Master
Batman
Journey to Silius
Gremlins 2
Fester's Quest
(these five are all by Sunsoft, who would put the most amazing sound into their NES games.)
Mega Man 2, 3, 4
Megami Tensei I & II
Madara

SNES

Castlevania IV
Secret of Mana
Shin Megami Tensei
Shin Megami Tensei II
Mega Man 7

Arcade

Thunder Cross II

Genesis

Castlevania: Bloodlines

Turbo-16/PC-Engine

LORDS OF THUNDER
Ys I & II
Ys III
Dracula X

PS1

FF VII/VIII/IX
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
Gradius Gaiden
Xenogears
Mega Man X4
Legend of Mana
Parasite Eve
Einhander
Final Fantasy Tactics
Vagrant Story

PS2

Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne
Digital Devil Saga 1 & 2
Persona 4
Gradius V

...and god, I'm already tired of listing. Try and search for any of those and it should keep you plenty busy.

Optiow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#29  Edited By Optiow

I to am a big fan of Video game music. Especially the FF music.

Avatar image for jonnylovescakes
jonnylovescakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By jonnylovescakes

My favorite video game sound tracks would be...

Megaman 2
Megaman 9
Megaman x, x2, x3, x4, x6
Final Fantasy 4, 6, 7
Street fighter 2
Chrono Trigger
Donkey Kong Country 1&2
Allot of Mario and Zelda stuff its all good
the Encouter song from MGS