Video Game Pet Peeves

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Video games aren't perfect; they have issues both large and small. Ignoring the larger issues everyone usually talks about, I'd like to talk about the little things that aren't that big of a deal, yet still annoy us to no end. The most common example on this site is the "subtitle option always in a different place" phenomenon. Use that as a reference for the scale of issue that is appropriate for this thread.

My biggest gaming pet peeve is when games include brightness/gamma/contrast options, but no reference image to help with adjustment. They might as well not include it at all, because most people aren't capable of proper adjustment on eyesight alone. It's especially annoying now that lighting is a very important aspect of most games. Most recent offender I've, personally, experienced is Dying Light, a game where light/dark is very important.

So, what are your gaming pet peeves?

Lost_Remnant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Non-skippable cut-scenes have always irked me. Especially if said game makes you go back to the beginning and watch said cut scene again if you die or fail the mission or what have you with no option to skip. It hasn't been terribly common but it's always annoying when it shows up.

I'm not sure if this other one counts, but in the past ten years or so I find myself getting annoyed at games making you do trivial things (especially if it's badly designed) and then goes "man, wasn't that stupid/bad/lame etc. Ha ha!" as if that somehow excuses it. I could just be a bit grouchy but it rubs me the wrong way most of the time.

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

Not being able to pause cut scenes. It's hard to live and interact with other people when I have to tell them, "Sorry, I just need 3 minutes. I'm in a cut scene. What, the dog is on fire? Well, great. Now I have to restart from my last save, wherever that is. Oh, it auto-saved after the scene. Perfect. Also, now I have to go to the vet."

No other medium has that problem. Books, movies, music... all can be dropped and returned to. Not a majority of cut scenes.

I know this doesn't apply to online multiplayer, but that's a different beast, and I'll prepare accordingly or accept the loss. They also don't surprise you with cut scenes.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

There's a thread with an identical thread title with 2 pages of posts already. Why not just revive that thread so the past comments on this topic could be included?

http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/general-discussion-30/video-game-pet-peeves-486084/

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By RonGalaxy

@flashflood_29: I think the mods are okay with identical threads if one of them is really old and it's an opinion type thread like this one. Might be wrong though. Either way, I didnt even know that thread existed and wouldn't have known how to search for it.