Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
This is a blog entry sharing and discussing my personal opinion on piracy as an act. I will not mention or link to any piracy websites, mention or list any release group names, or discuss/explain/refer to any pirating/torrenting/cracking processes and methods.  
I am not condoning, encouraging or instructing people to pirate here. I'm sharing my point of view on it.
 
I'm writing this to those who grew up in an "internet" environment where piracy is considered an absolute cancer, and who have the misconception that every torrent downloaded automatically equals evil and crime.  
 
P.S. In order not to repeat the word "piracy" 1700 times, and since I feel like an idiot when I use it, I'll occasionally use the word "fileshare."

There's "piracy", and there's actual piracy.

Like this selfish fucking asshole 
Yes, there are tens of thousands of selfish pricks around the world who think that even though they make money or can afford the occasional game, they somehow have the right to just leech the files off some torrent guy, over and over and over, year after year, enjoying endless hours of entertainment without giving the hardworking studios that provided that entertainment, the cost for their trouble. 
I agree and realize that there are huge numbers of these assholes out there. Sitting in their rooms by their PCs, laughing at people who spend their hard earned money on Steam or the PSN store or Gamestop, as they browse and surf and torrent and accumulate free games all they want.  
 
I am in no way defending those hurtful parasites.
 
   
But there's a whole other face to fileshare that you should be aware of. 

Experimenting 

Content / Gameplay: 
Not everybody in the world knows and has played most of the game franchises and genres out there, like a seasoned experienced video game aficionado who frequents video game forums might. Not everybody can afford buying a game because of the hype or the metascore, and then ditching it if they dislike it, like many of us do. 
Some people maybe be new to gaming. Some of them might have played the same genres for years, and this is their first time trying a new game.  Some of them may not be able to afford spending big cash on a game and then not playing it after they grow to dislike it, upon trying it.
 
The typical answer you might find on the internet to that sort of situation is "grow some balls, buy the game to try it, and if you don't like it, don't buy any more games from that franchise/studio." But that's just unrealistic. Why would I spend full price on a game when I'm not sure whether I will like the gameplay or not? Just because someone on the internet think it's the ballsy thing to do? No, I'll pass.
And so, this is the first and most important reason: These people believe that they have two choices- either to "pirate" the game to see if it's worth sixty USD, or not pirate it because it's "wrong" and thus not get the chance to try it. Miss out on the chance to become customers of that studio.
  
Here are some ~~examples~~ to demonstrate my point:
 
  • I pirated The Witcher back in 2008 to try it out. I was a total RPG noob, so as you might imagine I was simply disturbed by such a game and I deleted it in 10 minutes. Earlier this year, I pirated it again to see if I had finally overcome my RPG learning disability and actually enjoy a deep thorough game. 
>>> Result:  I ended up buying The Witcher this year, and buying Witcher 2 for full price  a few months later. <<<
 I once hated Battlefield 2. Thank you piracy, for making Battlefield purchases obligatory to me today.
  
  • I used to be a Call of Duty 2 and Call of Duty: World at War player for several years (both purchased, as well as Modern Warfare 2, as a result of pirating Call of Duty 2 to "try it out" in 2006).  I heard of Battlefield 2 in 2007. I pirated it to see if I can enjoy this big-scale teamwork-based multiplayer game that I kept hearing about from a German msn friend, and guess what? I didn't even know how to play the game, even after reading about it. I didn't know anything about anything, I found myself confused as fuck, and I deleted it. Then in late 2008, I thought what the heck, let's try that complicated game again, and pirated it. It quickly became my all-time favorite multiplayer shooter.  
>>> Result: I now own 5 Battlefield boxes, 2 of which were bought on day 1, because of pirating Battlefield 2 to try it out when I was a jobless teenager.  <<<
 
I am now forever a day-1 customer of these studios, all thanks to curious pirating as a teenager. Hadn't I torrented BF2 and Witcher, I probably wouldn't own any of the 2 franchises today.  
 
 
  • In contrast, after watching the infamous Dead Island trailer, and for being the big Lost fan that I am, and for being sick of typical survival games and then-thinking that Dead Island was gonna be unique, I actually pre-ordered it a few weeks after the trailer. Then after watching the first gameplay demo, I had second thoughts, and decided to cancel the pre-order until I'm sure I want this game. When it came out, I pirated it to test it. 
>>> Result:  45 minutes later, I deleted it never to be seen on my PC again. I saved myself 60$ by trying a pirated game for less than an hour and then removing it.  <<<
 
How many of you have your Dead Island copies laying on the shelf, drenched in regret? Exactly.
  
Performance:
This a very simple one. You don't know if the game runs on your machine, some people say it's optimized, others dont. Some people say the "Can You Run It?" website is dependable, other dont.  
So what do you do? Download the game, run it, look at the FPS and graphical quality, BOOM you got a better answer than any technician could give you.
~~Example~~  I saved myself 60$ on Brink when it ran like shit on my PC EVEN THOUGH most people said my 8600GT would run it decently. I'm not an idiot to take someone's word on the internet and then end up dropping these amounts of money down the toilet, I work hard for my fucking money.    

  "DX11 broken? Is DX9 an option? How's the PhysX implementation? Is it poorly optimized?" 
  The bigger issue, however, is the bad PC ports. There are games, some of them are great games, GOTY contenders even, that get botched up for the PC. Am I supposed to spend full price on a game that would control like shit for me on the PC? Be badly optimized, overheat my machine and give me bad frames per second? HELL NO.  
~~Example~~ Batman: Arkham City has become notorious on the PC for having a terrible DirectX 11 implementation and shitty PhysX that made monster PCs stutter.  
What do you do after hearing this news? 
Idiot response: I spend 60 dollars on it and thus down the shitter, and spend the rest of my life resenting that game for what has happened. 
Smart answer: I "pirate" it to see if it's true. 
 
That's what I did. Last week I pirated Arkham City to see if it's true, luckily it ran like charm on my PC, so I bought it last night on Steam. You test the port for a couple of hours on your machine, then you buy it, because it's a PORT, the chances of it being a decent product worth the price tag are NOT VERY BIG, need I say more? 

 
The lack of PC demos contributes to this. 

Temporary Solution

I didn't have any money from my last paycheck left in my account when Skyrim came out. What, should I have waited a few weeks and thus be a few weeks behind everyone else even though I know I'm gonna buy it? It's a fact, I'm buying Skyrim before the year ends, why torture myself and watch others play it for a couple of weeks and be behind on all the discussion threads and my the progress of all my Steam friends?
 
I came back from the bank this morning after FINALLY receiving my late paycheck, and I'm gonna buy the game tonight. It's just that I have 51 hours in the game, so while I will legitimately purchase this product, I won't be feeling like shit for being weeks behind on one of my most anticipated games this year. Behind on forums and threads. Behind on memes. Behind on videos. Behind when DLC comes out.  
 

Ease of Use

 Legit Steam game is in my library, and it doesn't work. Pirated copy of said game runs flawlessly.
Did I mention that I purchased Arkham City last night after testing DX11 on my PC in the pirated version? I did. 
I just tried launching it on Steam. The game does not launch. 
 
I own Arkham City, It's in my Steam library, and the game won't start. The pirated copy ran like fucking charm. It's a FACT that, technically speaking, pirated games > legit games.  
They have no DRM, no activation loops, no certificate shit from Steam, none of that crap. They're like a pure virgin form of the game that needs a crack and some bootleg update files to start. 
 
So while I own the game right now, there's a big chance that I will continue playing the technically-superior pirated version. I own AND HAVE PAID FOR at least 10 games that I run the pirated versions of, because they offer me the better experience and least hassle. Very simple, very true. 
 

Alternative Source 

I own The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion on Steam. I visited a friend who has a weak gaming laptop and no internet connection (his parents don't use internet, and he was visiting).  
 
Do you know how much it made my life easier to, instead of having to take his laptop and coming home and connecting to the internet and installing Steam and logging into my account on his PC and go through Steam guard (getting an email code to prove it's me logging in) and then waiting for Oblivion to download from the Steam servers and install and update, and then telling Steam to work in offline mode, and then driving back to his fancy villa-like house to enjoy an evening with the game, I just took my pirated Oblivion and installed it in 5 minutes. 
 
Jesus, typing this paragraph was truly exhausting. 
 

I do not encourage excessive or selfish/harmful piracy.

I spent hundreds of dollars on games this year, 1600$ on a PC upgrade, and made a credit card to become an active Steam customer. 
I'm asking you to have an open mind and not misjudge someone just because they torrented a game. As you can see, there are several cases where the act is not intended as property theft out of cheapness and selfishness. 
 

Fun Facts:  

 
 
 
 
 
While this is my favorite website, I have hundreds of friends in this community, and the Giant Bomb moderators repeatedly disprove my "moderators are assholes" theory  with their friendliness and open minds, I realize that there's such a mass consensus here that piracy is the root of all evil, that freedom of speech on the subject, even from a personal point of view in a blog, may be forbidden. 
 
It's clear in my disclaimer and the text itself, that I'm only commenting on the act and sharing my opinion, and not getting into piracy as a process, in any form or way.  I'm only pursuing a healthy intellectual discussion of it.  
So I hope freedom of speech is still free.
  
  

Looking forward to your thoughts on my argument!
#1 Edited by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
This is a blog entry sharing and discussing my personal opinion on piracy as an act. I will not mention or link to any piracy websites, mention or list any release group names, or discuss/explain/refer to any pirating/torrenting/cracking processes and methods.  
I am not condoning, encouraging or instructing people to pirate here. I'm sharing my point of view on it.
 
I'm writing this to those who grew up in an "internet" environment where piracy is considered an absolute cancer, and who have the misconception that every torrent downloaded automatically equals evil and crime.  
 
P.S. In order not to repeat the word "piracy" 1700 times, and since I feel like an idiot when I use it, I'll occasionally use the word "fileshare."

There's "piracy", and there's actual piracy.

Like this selfish fucking asshole 
Yes, there are tens of thousands of selfish pricks around the world who think that even though they make money or can afford the occasional game, they somehow have the right to just leech the files off some torrent guy, over and over and over, year after year, enjoying endless hours of entertainment without giving the hardworking studios that provided that entertainment, the cost for their trouble. 
I agree and realize that there are huge numbers of these assholes out there. Sitting in their rooms by their PCs, laughing at people who spend their hard earned money on Steam or the PSN store or Gamestop, as they browse and surf and torrent and accumulate free games all they want.  
 
I am in no way defending those hurtful parasites.
 
   
But there's a whole other face to fileshare that you should be aware of. 

Experimenting 

Content / Gameplay: 
Not everybody in the world knows and has played most of the game franchises and genres out there, like a seasoned experienced video game aficionado who frequents video game forums might. Not everybody can afford buying a game because of the hype or the metascore, and then ditching it if they dislike it, like many of us do. 
Some people maybe be new to gaming. Some of them might have played the same genres for years, and this is their first time trying a new game.  Some of them may not be able to afford spending big cash on a game and then not playing it after they grow to dislike it, upon trying it.
 
The typical answer you might find on the internet to that sort of situation is "grow some balls, buy the game to try it, and if you don't like it, don't buy any more games from that franchise/studio." But that's just unrealistic. Why would I spend full price on a game when I'm not sure whether I will like the gameplay or not? Just because someone on the internet think it's the ballsy thing to do? No, I'll pass.
And so, this is the first and most important reason: These people believe that they have two choices- either to "pirate" the game to see if it's worth sixty USD, or not pirate it because it's "wrong" and thus not get the chance to try it. Miss out on the chance to become customers of that studio.
  
Here are some ~~examples~~ to demonstrate my point:
 
  • I pirated The Witcher back in 2008 to try it out. I was a total RPG noob, so as you might imagine I was simply disturbed by such a game and I deleted it in 10 minutes. Earlier this year, I pirated it again to see if I had finally overcome my RPG learning disability and actually enjoy a deep thorough game. 
>>> Result:  I ended up buying The Witcher this year, and buying Witcher 2 for full price  a few months later. <<<
 I once hated Battlefield 2. Thank you piracy, for making Battlefield purchases obligatory to me today.
  
  • I used to be a Call of Duty 2 and Call of Duty: World at War player for several years (both purchased, as well as Modern Warfare 2, as a result of pirating Call of Duty 2 to "try it out" in 2006).  I heard of Battlefield 2 in 2007. I pirated it to see if I can enjoy this big-scale teamwork-based multiplayer game that I kept hearing about from a German msn friend, and guess what? I didn't even know how to play the game, even after reading about it. I didn't know anything about anything, I found myself confused as fuck, and I deleted it. Then in late 2008, I thought what the heck, let's try that complicated game again, and pirated it. It quickly became my all-time favorite multiplayer shooter.  
>>> Result: I now own 5 Battlefield boxes, 2 of which were bought on day 1, because of pirating Battlefield 2 to try it out when I was a jobless teenager.  <<<
 
I am now forever a day-1 customer of these studios, all thanks to curious pirating as a teenager. Hadn't I torrented BF2 and Witcher, I probably wouldn't own any of the 2 franchises today.  
 
 
  • In contrast, after watching the infamous Dead Island trailer, and for being the big Lost fan that I am, and for being sick of typical survival games and then-thinking that Dead Island was gonna be unique, I actually pre-ordered it a few weeks after the trailer. Then after watching the first gameplay demo, I had second thoughts, and decided to cancel the pre-order until I'm sure I want this game. When it came out, I pirated it to test it. 
>>> Result:  45 minutes later, I deleted it never to be seen on my PC again. I saved myself 60$ by trying a pirated game for less than an hour and then removing it.  <<<
 
How many of you have your Dead Island copies laying on the shelf, drenched in regret? Exactly.
  
Performance:
This a very simple one. You don't know if the game runs on your machine, some people say it's optimized, others dont. Some people say the "Can You Run It?" website is dependable, other dont.  
So what do you do? Download the game, run it, look at the FPS and graphical quality, BOOM you got a better answer than any technician could give you.
~~Example~~  I saved myself 60$ on Brink when it ran like shit on my PC EVEN THOUGH most people said my 8600GT would run it decently. I'm not an idiot to take someone's word on the internet and then end up dropping these amounts of money down the toilet, I work hard for my fucking money.    

  "DX11 broken? Is DX9 an option? How's the PhysX implementation? Is it poorly optimized?" 
  The bigger issue, however, is the bad PC ports. There are games, some of them are great games, GOTY contenders even, that get botched up for the PC. Am I supposed to spend full price on a game that would control like shit for me on the PC? Be badly optimized, overheat my machine and give me bad frames per second? HELL NO.  
~~Example~~ Batman: Arkham City has become notorious on the PC for having a terrible DirectX 11 implementation and shitty PhysX that made monster PCs stutter.  
What do you do after hearing this news? 
Idiot response: I spend 60 dollars on it and thus down the shitter, and spend the rest of my life resenting that game for what has happened. 
Smart answer: I "pirate" it to see if it's true. 
 
That's what I did. Last week I pirated Arkham City to see if it's true, luckily it ran like charm on my PC, so I bought it last night on Steam. You test the port for a couple of hours on your machine, then you buy it, because it's a PORT, the chances of it being a decent product worth the price tag are NOT VERY BIG, need I say more? 

 
The lack of PC demos contributes to this. 

Temporary Solution

I didn't have any money from my last paycheck left in my account when Skyrim came out. What, should I have waited a few weeks and thus be a few weeks behind everyone else even though I know I'm gonna buy it? It's a fact, I'm buying Skyrim before the year ends, why torture myself and watch others play it for a couple of weeks and be behind on all the discussion threads and my the progress of all my Steam friends?
 
I came back from the bank this morning after FINALLY receiving my late paycheck, and I'm gonna buy the game tonight. It's just that I have 51 hours in the game, so while I will legitimately purchase this product, I won't be feeling like shit for being weeks behind on one of my most anticipated games this year. Behind on forums and threads. Behind on memes. Behind on videos. Behind when DLC comes out.  
 

Ease of Use

 Legit Steam game is in my library, and it doesn't work. Pirated copy of said game runs flawlessly.
Did I mention that I purchased Arkham City last night after testing DX11 on my PC in the pirated version? I did. 
I just tried launching it on Steam. The game does not launch. 
 
I own Arkham City, It's in my Steam library, and the game won't start. The pirated copy ran like fucking charm. It's a FACT that, technically speaking, pirated games > legit games.  
They have no DRM, no activation loops, no certificate shit from Steam, none of that crap. They're like a pure virgin form of the game that needs a crack and some bootleg update files to start. 
 
So while I own the game right now, there's a big chance that I will continue playing the technically-superior pirated version. I own AND HAVE PAID FOR at least 10 games that I run the pirated versions of, because they offer me the better experience and least hassle. Very simple, very true. 
 

Alternative Source 

I own The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion on Steam. I visited a friend who has a weak gaming laptop and no internet connection (his parents don't use internet, and he was visiting).  
 
Do you know how much it made my life easier to, instead of having to take his laptop and coming home and connecting to the internet and installing Steam and logging into my account on his PC and go through Steam guard (getting an email code to prove it's me logging in) and then waiting for Oblivion to download from the Steam servers and install and update, and then telling Steam to work in offline mode, and then driving back to his fancy villa-like house to enjoy an evening with the game, I just took my pirated Oblivion and installed it in 5 minutes. 
 
Jesus, typing this paragraph was truly exhausting. 
 

I do not encourage excessive or selfish/harmful piracy.

I spent hundreds of dollars on games this year, 1600$ on a PC upgrade, and made a credit card to become an active Steam customer. 
I'm asking you to have an open mind and not misjudge someone just because they torrented a game. As you can see, there are several cases where the act is not intended as property theft out of cheapness and selfishness. 
 

Fun Facts:  

 
 
 
 
 
While this is my favorite website, I have hundreds of friends in this community, and the Giant Bomb moderators repeatedly disprove my "moderators are assholes" theory  with their friendliness and open minds, I realize that there's such a mass consensus here that piracy is the root of all evil, that freedom of speech on the subject, even from a personal point of view in a blog, may be forbidden. 
 
It's clear in my disclaimer and the text itself, that I'm only commenting on the act and sharing my opinion, and not getting into piracy as a process, in any form or way.  I'm only pursuing a healthy intellectual discussion of it.  
So I hope freedom of speech is still free.
  
  

Looking forward to your thoughts on my argument!
#2 Posted by DeeGee (2126 posts) -

... why is Minecraft the one game that should not be pirated?

#3 Posted by Jost1 (2077 posts) -

I honestly think with the Steam deals and stuff like that that piracy is pretty inexcusable. There are SO many opportunities to get games cheaper if money is tight.

The only times I'll seek out something for free is if there's some kind of obscure, IMPOSSIBLE-to-get thing from the 90s that I want to rekindle my memories of. But with gog.com that's almost never necessary anymore either.

#4 Posted by mikey87144 (1775 posts) -

So before my last PC went bonk because of a friend explaining the benefits of over-clocking I subscribed to the try it before you buy it theory. Demos tend to run better than the full game so I prefer to actually test the full game before committing. Also, and I think more PC players do this than will admit to it, I have legitimately bought a couple of games only to run the cracked version later with my gaming PC. Hell I encouraged people to do that. You paid for it, there is a better version out there, you're not cheating the devs in any way so yea, bring on the better DRM free version.

#5 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@Jost1 said:

I honestly think with the Steam deals and stuff like that that piracy is pretty inexcusable. There are SO many opportunities to get games cheaper if money is tight.

The only times I'll seek out something for free is if there's some kind of obscure, IMPOSSIBLE-to-get thing from the 90s that I want to rekindle my memories of. But with gog.com that's almost never necessary anymore either.

My friend, you clearly haven't read a single word.  Yes, the title sounds like I'm defending piracy, but I'm not. 
 
 
If you don't wanna read, that's totally fine, sometimes I comment without reading too, but this blog is not defending "grabbing games for free", so if that's gonna be your without-reading comment, people, it's not the topic at hand.
#6 Posted by Beforet (2922 posts) -

Very well written and argued. Especially the point about the pirated versions running better than the legit copies.

That said, wouldn't you agree that a lot of this could be avoided if publishers put out more demos? That way you could both see if you'll like it and if it will run? Also, a key issue with torrents that you didn't mention is that you're not just downloading but uploading as well. Even if you are pirating for the right reasons, you are most likely enabling one or more of the asshole you condemned

#7 Posted by sanchopanza (247 posts) -

@Jost1 said:

I honestly think with the Steam deals and stuff like that that piracy is pretty inexcusable.

The OP gave plenty of resons to pirate before buying, did you not read his post? For one some steam games run like crap/not at all and good luck trying to get support. No one is saying pirate everything and stick it to the industry, that is obviously a dick move.

@AhmadMetallic: Good post and some really good points. I personally know people who had legit copies of games but have had to crack them just to get them running so technically they are evil pirates, that is real shitty. I've never pirated a PC game but have used emulators of old systems to try games, and have since become a fan of some franchises I've not even heard of and bought the games, so I can relate to that side of the argument.

#8 Posted by Vorbis (2750 posts) -

It's those who claim to pirate for noble reasons that get on my nerves, no you're not pirating to prove a point, you're not doing it to stick it to the man, you're not doing it to teach them a lesson for using DRM, you're doing it because you're cheap and don't want to spend any money, at least own up to it.

#9 Edited by Sweep (8865 posts) -

There are several flaws to your argument: Firstly, you can't detach yourself from the "Selfish fucking assholes" because your traffic is enabling them to pirate more efficiently, either through the use of the website where you get the files or as a seed if you are using torrents. For every one person with good intentions there are 10 (at least) taking advantage of the system.

Secondly, I agree that not knowing if a game will work is a pain, and I wasted a lot of money when I was younger buying games that then wouldn't start because my laptop wasn't powerful enough to run them. Piracy is not the solution to this - though I can understand how it's a consequence. I'd argue that Demos are the way forward and I'm always surprised that there aren't more Demos available. Alternatively, buy a console. When you go out and buy an xbox game you can be sure it's going to run on an xbox.

Penultimately, I'd argue that "not having enough money" isn't really an issue anymore. With deals like the Humble Indie Bundle and ridiculous Steam sales, not to mention the fact that the average price of games has dropped over recent years, there isn't really an excuse. You can get great games at disposable prices. If you don't want to take the risk of buying an expensive game that might not work, that's tough shit. It's a problem, but it doesn't entitle you to illegally download the game.

Lastly, and this is what drives me fucking insane, I actively despise the arrogance of people who feel that they can just take whatever they want. You can dress it up however you like, but it's a bullshit sense of entitlement mentality and I hate it. Though you probably did go and buy many of the games you stole (And let's be fucking clear here, you stole them. You are a thief.) that implies that there are many you didn't then pay for.

I used to pirate music and films when I was a kid (There wasn't any point in stealing games because my Laptop was rubbish) but I have always known it's wrong and I don't desperately try to justify it to myself or anyone else. I would have a lot more respect for people if they just said "Yep, I pirate games. I'm a cunt." instead of all this sanctimonious shite.

Moderator
#10 Posted by mikey87144 (1775 posts) -

@Vorbis: You should really read his post.

#11 Posted by JoeyRavn (4974 posts) -

@Vorbis said:

It's those who claim to pirate for noble reasons that get on my nerves, no you're not pirating to prove a point, you're not doing it to stick it to the man, you're not doing it to teach them a lesson for using DRM, you're doing it because you're cheap and don't want to spend any money, at least own up to it.

You're completely missing the point. I'm pretty sure that you didn't actually read 's post.

#12 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@Vorbis said:

It's those who claim to pirate for noble reasons that get on my nerves, no you're not pirating to prove a point, you're not doing it to stick it to the man, you're not doing it to teach them a lesson for using DRM, you're doing it because you're cheap and don't want to spend any money, at least own up to it.

Vorbis, we're bros, but your comment is in no way related to the content of this blog, you should do something about that :P 
  
 
@Sweep said:

Secondly, I agree that not knowing if a game will work is a pain, and I wasted a lot of money when I was younger buying games that then wouldn't start because my laptop wasn't powerful enough to run them. Piracy is not the solution to this - though I can understand how it's a consequence. I'd argue that Demo's are the way forward and I'm always surprised that there aren't more Demo's available. Alternatively, buy a console. When you go out and buy an xbox game you can be sure it's going to run on an xbox.

Publicly-speaking Giantbomb Forums-Sweep and publicly-speaking Giantbomb Forums-Ahmad think that, yes, go buy an Xbox as a solution to not being sure if your PC runs a game. 
Real life Sweep & Ahmad know that that's a truck of shit. Come on. You want me to buy a fucking Xbox when I have a gaming PC that runs 80% of the games out there decently? (Well not anymore, I recently bought a beast, I'm talking about the older one) instead of downloading a game to see if it runs or not? 
I don't even like Xbox gaming! And my PS3 is gathering dust.
 

Lastly, and this is what drives me fucking insane, I actively despise the arrogance of people who feel that they can just take whatever they want. You can dress it up however you like, but it's a bullshit sense of entitlement mentality and I hate it. Though you probably did go and buy many of the games you stole (And let's be fucking clear here, you stole them. You are a thief.) that implies that there are many you didn't then pay for.

I used to pirate music and films when I was a kid (There wasn't any point in stealing games because my Laptop was rubbish) but I have always known it's wrong and I don't desperately try to justify it to myself or anyone else. I would have a lot more respect for people if they just said "Yep, I pirate games. I'm a cunt." instead of all this sanctimonious shite.

Oh, I forgot to add the "And sometimes, well, I'm a cunt and I steal a game I can't afford." Bit? My bad. That was a big write-up.
#13 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3872 posts) -

I came in here wanting to totally disagree with you but you make some pretty valid points. Full disclosure I've pirated a game once and that was Dawn of War: Dark Crusade and that was because it was a fan made port for Mac (Relic has never done that work) and I had already bought it for the PC a few years back.

So I don't feel too bad for still not agreeing with piracy. Again though, like I said you make valid points. I think the problem is, people like you are the outliers, most people who pirate games are just assholes.

#14 Posted by troll93 (388 posts) -

@Sweep said:

There are several flaws to your argument: Firstly, you can't detach yourself from the "Selfish fucking assholes" because your traffic is enabling them to pirate more efficiently, either through the use of the website where you get the files or as a seed if you are using torrents. For every one person with good intentions there are 10 (at least) taking advantage of the system.

Secondly, I agree that not knowing if a game will work is a pain, and I wasted a lot of money when I was younger buying games that then wouldn't start because my laptop wasn't powerful enough to run them. Piracy is not the solution to this - though I can understand how it's a consequence. I'd argue that Demo's are the way forward and I'm always surprised that there aren't more Demo's available. Alternatively, buy a console. When you go out and buy an xbox game you can be sure it's going to run on an xbox.

Penultimately, I'd argue that "not having enough money" isn't really an issue anymore. With deals like the Humble Indie Bundle and ridiculous Steam sales, not to mention the fact that the average price of games has dropped over recent years, there isn't really an excuse. You can get great games at disposable prices. If you don't want to take the risk of buying an expensive game that might not work, that's tough shit. It's a problem, but it doesn't entitle you to illegally download the game.

Lastly, and this is what drives me fucking insane, I actively despise the arrogance of people who feel that they can just take whatever they want. You can dress it up however you like, but it's a bullshit sense of entitlement mentality and I hate it. Though you probably did go and buy many of the games you stole (And let's be fucking clear here, you stole them. You are a thief.) that implies that there are many you didn't then pay for.

I used to pirate music and films when I was a kid (There wasn't any point in stealing games because my Laptop was rubbish) but I have always known it's wrong and I don't desperately try to justify it to myself or anyone else. I would have a lot more respect for people if they just said "Yep, I pirate games. I'm a cunt." instead of all this sanctimonious shite.

I agree with this

#15 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

@DeeGee said:

... why is Minecraft the one game that should not be pirated?

#16 Posted by Kidavenger (3556 posts) -

None of your arguments supporting it make up for your first point, most pirates are unrepentant douchbags.

Experimenting: I don't know how you can even bring this up being a member of this site, ever hear of quicklooks, everything you need to know to make a purchase decision gameplay/content wise is right there.

Performance: I don't know why you say people told you Brink would run on a 8600, the minimum required straight from the developer is 8800, reliable performance data is out there for almost every single high profile pc game.

Ease of use: I can't speak towards Batman, But I do have over 250 recent AAA release games installed on my PC right now and I haven't had problems running any of them. Problems like you describe are the exception and shouldn't be used as justification for piracy.

I don't think piracy is as big a problem as it is made out to be, most people doing this would never have bought the game because they generally don't have any money and I'd rather they were doing this than running around getting into trouble; but I think it's fairly irresponsible trying to defend the act itself.

Online
#17 Posted by dankempster (2253 posts) -

I agree with Sweep on this. I think that any benefits of pirating for 'the right reasons' are benefits that could be equally reaped from playing a demo of the game in question. That's what demos are there for, after all - for developers to showcase a representative portion of their game, so people can determine for themselves whether they have an interest in the product or are able to run it on their PC.

It's strange for me, because growing up as a PS1 player and reader of the Official PlayStation Magazine, pretty much all of my game exposure (and most of my purchasing decisions) came through the demo discs that were bundled in with those magazines. Pretty much all the big titles were represented on those monthly discs as well, so you always got a great indication of what was worth playing every month. As a result, it's pretty difficult for me to imagine a scenario where demos wouldn't be your first port of call if you weren't sure how a game would play. Nowadays, with the medium moving into downloadable demos rather than supplementary discs, there seem to be more readily available demos on all platforms than ever before. Admittedly, from what I've experienced, PC demos seem less readily available than demos on other platforms, and that in itself blows my mind - why aren't more developers and publishers putting demos out there? If it curbs even the small amount of pirates who, like yourself, download pirated versions of games as glorified demos, then isn't that a move work making?

The worst part of all this is, I can get my head around why somebody would pirate games unapologetically as their primary means of obtaining new games - namely, because those people are (as Sweep so eloquently put it) cunts. Why a gamer wouldn't take advantage of the ready availability of demos and instead resort to piracy to inform their purchasing decisions, on the other hand, is completely beyond me.

#18 Posted by mosespippy (4186 posts) -

Piracy isn't the modern day problem that content publishers want us to believe it is. Many of Shakespeare's plays exist today because some pirate sat in the audience and wrote down the dialogue to sell to other acting troupes. Shakespeare's scripts themselves only went to the handful of actors that performed them roughly 10 times before getting discarded. If there was a way to pirate film in the early part of the century then there wouldn't be a huge gap in the history of film where there are no archives. Publishers want us to buy their products. I get that; but their biggest customers are also the biggest pirates. Pirating music, movies, tv, games and comics leads to purchasing of those products.

Another fact for the fun facts section: Tim Schafer accidentally revealed that he pirated lucas arts games during his interview for a job at lucas arts. He says that he pirated one of their games and it resulted in him getting a job there, so it is ok if you want to pirate ONE of his games.

@Beforet said:

wouldn't you agree that a lot of this could be avoided if publishers put out more demos? That way you could both see if you'll like it and if it will run?

Not necessarily. I remember the Demo for Call of Duty 2 would run on my PC but the full game wouldn't.

Online
#19 Posted by dudeglove (7862 posts) -

@DeeGee said:

... why is Minecraft the one game that should not be pirated?

For a start it's not a game. It's a - Actually, I don't even know where to begin.

#20 Posted by Hailinel (24846 posts) -

Piracy is theft. To call it anything else is to make excuses.

#21 Edited by FritzDude (2263 posts) -

Even if developers and publishers would release a handful and good game demo - That should in theory discourage most of your points on piracy - Selfish pirates will always be downloading because of the easy mentality of "click and wait and the game can be played", and "why would I purchase a game when I can get it for free easily". I can't tell if piracy have a huge impact on the industry, but it sure does give me a good understanding on how shitty our humanity is.

#22 Posted by billyhoush (1192 posts) -

I stopped pirating many moons ago because I would end up downloading every new game that came out and never finishing any of them. It came to the point that I was becoming a digital hoarder and it was very time consuming. Now I happily purchase 2-3 games per year and make sure I play through them to get my moneys worth. I usually limit myself to the few AAA titles that are actually worth purchasing at full price which creates a nice backlog of other worthwhile games I can pick up later for $20.

It has worked out great for both my productivity and game enjoyment...not to mention I am supporting the industry.

#23 Posted by craigymail (199 posts) -

Curse you minecraft for being un-piratable!

#24 Posted by mfpantst (2574 posts) -
@AhmadMetallic: Kudos on writing a fairly thought out piece on the subject matter.  Of course I disagree with you, and of course my private self actually agrees with most of what Sweep has to say.  Here's the issues I have on several of your issues:
1) Release timing/ $$ timing:
That honestly doesn't matter.  At least to me.  It's like seeing the latest film the second it comes out on dvd and caring that my netflix account will get it however many days later.  The release date is, in the end, an arbitrary point in time when a publisher decided to release a certain title.  That people line up at stores, and play en masse once the game comes out is the fucking weirdest social dynamic ever.  I participate in the buying when I can, but not the 'day and date' buying.  So my advice on this issue: game within your budget.  If you can't buy a game when it comes out and you want to, save up your money and do so when you can.
2) Demos:
I don't know what your childhood and teenage video game experiences were like but mine went like this: search endlessly through the fairly sparse internet and print availalbility of game reviews.  Count money. Go to store, compare sparse knowledge of game quality with titles on shelf with money in pocket.  Maximize.  Buy.  Be disappointing, satiated, or amazed.  I owned a lot of disappointing games until sometime after 2005 or so.  I still buy games that disappoint.  But less and less so.  I'm more discerning with my purchases beforehand and if I'm in doubt I wait to see what people say about the game on whatever platform I want to buy the game on.  (On a point of difference, i have a nice pc but also enjoy gaming on my xbox now and then, you don't have that luxury or choice and I see where that makes your decisions difficult on this matter).  If people say the game is shit, I usually pass on the game.  If they say it's great then I buy the game if I can.
 
In college,  I was broke and thought "Oh this game or this song or this movie exists to stimulate me and I don't owe anybody shit"  Now as an adult, I don't think that and realize I was wrong.  I had no rights to someone else's creation without paying them for the use of such.  Unless that person wanted me to have their creation for free.  Even then, the sheer gratitude that attitude engenders results in me trying to pay them.
 
Now as an adult, I put together my thoughts on my budget (number one above) and the availability (or lack therof) of demos and act accordingly.  If I want a game and it is available to purchase, and I have the money and people say good things about the game I buy it.  I have been burned on said practice.  Dirt 3 and the first Bioshock stand out to me as two of the worst games I have owned on my PC.  I did buy F1 2011 (but suck at it) when it went on the steam sale for like $5, but I never would have paid full price for it, and never really will again for codemasters products.  I am fairly interested in the bioshock franchise, but hate that the PC version of the first bioshock is so incompatible with my high end PC.  That probably means I'll miss out on irrational's experience in Bioshock Infinite.  They'll also (potentially) miss my sale as a customer.  So be it.  I'll wait for that game to sell cheap on steam and buy it and quietly enjoy the experience the story has to offer.  I'm fine with that.  This practice means there are a few major games each year I buy outright.  After that I just wait to have the extra disposable cash that a wasted purchase wouldn't make me that mad (or that I'm willing to gamble) or until a game is on sale.  Then I buy the game.  
 
Yes, I'm probably a frustrating type of customer.  But I'm satisfied with my gaming experience more often than not.  My buying on sale methodology for question mark games means I have more than 40 games in my steam library that I've never played.  So they're ready when I want something different.  In other words, I get to play all the games you do just not day and date, and I don't pirate them, but I get all the benefits you claim pirating brings you.
#25 Posted by billyhoush (1192 posts) -

@mosespippy said:

If there was a way to pirate film in the early part of the century then there wouldn't be a huge gap in the history of film where there are no archives.

Actually many of the first films made during the Edison era were salvaged because before there were proper laws made to protect motion pictures from piracy they would submit paper prints of a reel to the Library of Congress because still images were protected. Most films were restored based off these paper prints. Just early European films were lost because they didn't have a registry to submit them to.

I see your point but you can argue both sides in that case.

#26 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@Kidavenger said:

Experimenting: I don't know how you can even bring this up being a member of this site, ever hear of quicklooks, everything you need to know to make a purchase decision gameplay/content wise is right there.

You're not being serious right? 
 

Performance: I don't know why you say people told you Brink would run on a 8600, the minimum required straight from the developer is 8800, reliable performance data is out there for almost every single high profile pc game.

Clearly you're out of touch with both PC gaming and its community if you think system requirements are set in stone and can't go wrong. Or that an unsupported video card is automatically out of the question. 
I ran Crysis 2 on that 8600 GT, dude. 
 
 
@mosespippy said:

@AhmadMetallic Another fact for the fun facts section: Tim Schafer accidentally revealed that he pirated lucas arts games during his interview for a job at lucas arts. He says that he pirated one of their games and it resulted in him getting a job there, so it is ok if you want to pirate ONE of his games.

Seriously? xD 
 
 
@FritzDude said: 

Even if developers and publishers would release a handful and good game demo - That should in theory discourage most of your points on piracy

How so? A demo is the solution to performance checking (demo performance =! full game), ease of use, temporary solutions and alternative sources? 
 
Also, call me crazy, but a demo of a franchise/genre that I'm completely new to and ignorant of is not enough. Yes, a demo of a shooter or a third person action adventure game or maybe a mainstream RPG, is enough, but a demo of The Witcher or Starcraft 2 or some other massive game? Doesn't nearly display the full experience.
#27 Posted by sickVisionz (1268 posts) -

If you're using piracy as a legitimate demo and you delete games you don't like after a few hours of play and buy games that you actually want to finish, I can see it not being entirely evil. Most people just download a game, play it and love it enough to beat it and continuing playing it, yet claim that it's not good enough to warrant a purchase though.

#28 Posted by iBePeRFeCT (396 posts) -

You bring up some very valid points. Still, I cannot help but feel that having this outlook is a way easing one's conscience. I agree with Beforet and Sweep that every time someone with "good" intentions of pirating a game leads to dozens of others benefiting from you seeding the game. When I see a game that I want, but cannot afford then I wait till I have the money and purchase it. This kind of counters two of your points.

Firstly, it gives you time to find out if it is really worth the full price from reading the reviews and others on the forums either rave about it or hate on it. Secondly, it gives the devs time to optimize it better or for your GPU manufacturer to release a driver to help run it better. Case in point, Batman: Arkham City. I loved the first one and desperately wanted to play it the day it was released on Steam, but I did not have the money at the time. So I waited till I earned the extra income to purchase it. As it turns out, it received pretty high scores and most people agreed it was worth the full price tag, but as it turns out it ran quite poorly.

I purchased the game yesterday on Steam at half off. Being that I waited not only did I help prevent piracy of the game by not seeding to other assholes, but I also saved money and have the game that runs much better than when it was initially released due to updates and driver patches. Sure, I miss out on a little bit of the release hype but its much better than robbing developers of their hard work by pirating it. Plus, the game has only been out for a month on PC so you don't really miss out on much.

I am not passing judgement on you, but I am just expressing my opinion on some of your points.

#29 Posted by Bollard (5559 posts) -

@Sweep said:

Secondly, I agree that not knowing if a game will work is a pain, and I wasted a lot of money when I was younger buying games that then wouldn't start because my laptop wasn't powerful enough to run them. Piracy is not the solution to this - though I can understand how it's a consequence. I'd argue that Demo's are the way forward and I'm always surprised that there aren't more Demo's available.

The only thing there is it regularly happens where, whilst a demo might run amazing, the full game will end up being borked in new and fantastical ways, even when the demo worked fine. Even though demos should be a fix for this problem (and they aren't even because of their lack of availability), you can't even always rely on them.

All I can say is I knew beforehand what Ahmad's post was going to be about, and I wasn't surprised. I'm also not surprised with your strong disagreement. Piracy is wrong, but the current distribution system is kinda broken too.

Online
#30 Edited by Kidavenger (3556 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic said:

@Kidavenger said:

Experimenting: I don't know how you can even bring this up being a member of this site, ever hear of quicklooks, everything you need to know to make a purchase decision gameplay/content wise is right there.

You're not being serious right?

Performance: I don't know why you say people told you Brink would run on a 8600, the minimum required straight from the developer is 8800, reliable performance data is out there for almost every single high profile pc game.

Clearly you're out of touch with both PC gaming and its community if you think system requirements are set in stone and can't go wrong. Or that an unsupported video card is automatically out of the question.
I ran Crysis 2 on that 8600 GT, dude.

Please tell me how a quicklook doesn't tell you everything you need to know about whether you would like a game.

I'm sure Crysis 2 ran great on your 8600 dude, get over yourself.

Online
#31 Edited by GetEveryone (4455 posts) -

Piracy can be demonstrably good.

Those who pirate often are larger spenders, within a given industry, than those who do not. This is two-fold: the money saved on purchases (insert argument about loss of sales here), is pumped back into the industry on purchases of the same nature. Secondly, those who pirate frequently are generally the biggest spenders.

I can quote the Swedish Government on this, but you'll have to look up the research yourself. There was also a paper on it relayed by some torrent news site, though I'd take that with a healthy pinch of salt.

#32 Edited by Gizmo (5389 posts) -

I pirate in order to test performance on my PC.

I've missed out on wasting my cash on such demo-less 'gems' as Saints Row 2 PC & From Dust PC.

My library of legally bought Steam games is pretty huge, so i'm certainly not killing the industry.

#33 Posted by sanchopanza (247 posts) -

@Kidavenger said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

@Kidavenger said:

Experimenting: I don't know how you can even bring this up being a member of this site, ever hear of quicklooks, everything you need to know to make a purchase decision gameplay/content wise is right there.

You're not being serious right?

Performance: I don't know why you say people told you Brink would run on a 8600, the minimum required straight from the developer is 8800, reliable performance data is out there for almost every single high profile pc game.

Clearly you're out of touch with both PC gaming and its community if you think system requirements are set in stone and can't go wrong. Or that an unsupported video card is automatically out of the question.
I ran Crysis 2 on that 8600 GT, dude.

Please tell me how a quicklook doesn't tell you everything you need to know about whether you would like a game, cause you just sound like an asshole.

I'm sure Crysis 2 ran great on your 8600 dude, get over yourself.

...No, you sound like the asshole, quicklooks are great and all but, for example you can't get a feel for the controls, understand the story, understand key mechanics etc. etc. in a game by watching a video. Aside from that, every time there is a quicklook there are always a crap load of people complaining that it isn't a good representation of the game, its a limited look at a game and does not represent all the nuances.

Piracy=Bad, but your argumet=also really bad

#34 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4757 posts) -

Agree on most of the points. I pirated Rage because I have no money, enjoyed it so much that I stopped playing it until I can afford to buy it. On the other hand I saved myself £40 earlier this year by pirating Bulletstorm, which was shit.

#35 Posted by mosespippy (4186 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic: Yep. Way back machine has the story since the original blog post on Double Fine's site is gone. http://web.archive.org/web/20091002121914/http://www.doublefine.com/site/twenty_years_only_a_few_tears/

Online
#36 Posted by mfpantst (2574 posts) -
@AhmadMetallic: Ps- you have gotten yourself into an argument on this forum that will not win.  Just heads up before you go further.
 
@GunslingerPanda: See I really have a problem with your simple argument.  If you walked into a movie theater to see, say, Battlefield Earth, back when it came out (and if you had paid for the ticket) you wouldn't have walked out and demanded your money back.  You would have been mad you watched the film.  You would have yelled at your friend who drug you to the movie (or went home and hurt yourself because it was your idea).  But you would have paid for it, and your experience would have been shit.
 
Economics in society works primarily on purchasing things you think you want, and customer service exists to help you with when that goes wrong.  Piracy is shortcutting that system, even when used in the manner you described.
#37 Posted by Kidavenger (3556 posts) -

@sanchopanza said:

argumet

Watching a quicklook give you enough to make a reasonable purchasing decision, the only thing better is pirating it, and that's illegal and morally repugnant. You may get burned on a few games, remember that next time you are thinking about buying a game from that developer and make sure everyone knows about the problems you are having, it's the best you can do.

Online
#38 Posted by I_smell (3924 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic:If you wanna know what a game's like before you buy it, how about you watch one of the one million fucking videos about it on the internet? Y'know, like on THIS SITE? Or play a demo? Or ask a friend?

And Tim Schaefer didn't get to be creative head of Double Fine by pirating Ball Blazer on the Atari. That's absolutely fairy-tale delusional. You're a crazy person to think that.

#39 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@mfpantst said:
1) Release timing/ $$ timing: That honestly doesn't matter.  At least to me.  It's like seeing the latest film the second it comes out on dvd and caring that my netflix account will get it however many days later.  The release date is, in the end, an arbitrary point in time when a publisher decided to release a certain title.  That people line up at stores, and play en masse once the game comes out is the fucking weirdest social dynamic ever.  I participate in the buying when I can, but not the 'day and date' buying.  So my advice on this issue: game within your budget.  If you can't buy a game when it comes out and you want to, save up your money and do so when you can.
Skyrim should be your exception there. That and Battlefield 3. 
 
@mfpantst  said: 
Ps- you have gotten yourself into an argument on this forum that will not win.  Just heads up before you go further. 
 
This is not an argument and there's no winning or losing, this is a discussion.  I like to exchange opinions!
 
 

@Kidavenger said:

I'm sure Crysis 2 ran great on your 8600 dude, get over yourself.

6.5 hours of gameplay, yes, it had a decent FPS and ran twice as good as Brink. Get some prespective, bro. 
Also: 
 
@sanchopanza said:

quicklooks are great and all but, for example you can't get a feel for the controls, understand the story, understand key mechanics etc. etc. in a game by watching a video. Aside from that, every time there is a quicklook there are always a crap load of people complaining that it isn't a good representation of the game, its a limited look at a game and does not represent all the nuances.


#40 Posted by I_smell (3924 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic: And by the way if you're that fucking dopey to not get your head around system requirements then play Batman on an Xbox like everyone else.

#41 Edited by YI_Orange (1148 posts) -

My question is this: At what point does something stop being a "demo" and deserve your money, even if you don't like it? I used to pirate games as demos, bought a couple, tossed the discs of the rest, so I kind of understand this point. But, say you pirate The Witcher 2, play 20 hours, then decide you never want to play it again. Do you still buy it? Sure, maybe you don't like it, maybe you didn't have the best experience playing it, but you still used their product for 20 hours.

You could argue that no one playing a pirated game for that long never intended to just use it for demo purposes, but what if they were just waiting until they had the money, then decided they didn't want to play it anymore so they thought "well, I didn't really enjoy it and I'm not gonna finish it so why should I buy it?"

I understand that this scenario is probably pretty rare and unlikely, but I'm just curious about your thoughts on it Ahmed.

(Don't think anything of The Witcher 2 being the example. I finished it yesterday and loved it).

#42 Posted by mfpantst (2574 posts) -
@AhmadMetallic: Ok no winning, losing then.  Skyrim was/is not an exception.  I had the $$ when it came out, so I bought it.  But then when the first patch made the frame rate less than fun and the second patch made my game crash I stopped playing for a while.  Haven't gone back.  Will, but not yet.  So in hindsight I'd have been ok not playing that game until 2012.  Arguably, that's what I should have done.  I see your point on battlefield, but here's my counterpoint to requiring games on the release date:
Budget yourself.  I knew when battlefield 3 was coming out.  I knew I'd want to play it day one.  So I didn't buy games around when I bought that game and searched for a deal.  Got it for like $30 off amazon I think.  So there are actions you can our could take beforehand if you really want a game that are not pirating.  Deal hunting and pre-budgeting are two pretty powerful tools.  i got deus ex HR the same way, like $30 off amazon and had the game the day it came out.
#43 Posted by Kidavenger (3556 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic said:

@Kidavenger said:

I'm sure Crysis 2 ran great on your 8600 dude, get over yourself.

6.5 hours of gameplay, yes, it had a decent FPS and ran twice as good as Brink. Get some prespective, bro.

As much as you want it to, this still doesn't change the fact that you are complaining about not being able to play a game when you don't even meet the developer's minimum required specs.

Online
#44 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@YI_Orange said:

My question is this: At what point does something stop being a "demo" and deserve your money, even if you don't like it? I used to pirate games as demos, bought a couple, tossed the discs of the rest, so I kind of understand this point. But, say you pirate The Witcher 2, play 20 hours, then decide you never want to play it again. Do you still buy it? Sure, maybe you don't like it, maybe you didn't have the best experience playing it, but you still used their product for 20 hours.

You could argue that no one playing a pirated game for that long never intended to just use it for demo purposes, but what if they were just waiting until they had the money, then decided they didn't want to play it anymore so they thought "well, I didn't really enjoy it and I'm not gonna finish it so why should I buy it?"

I understand that this scenario is probably pretty rare and unlikely, but I'm just curious about your thoughts on it Ahmed.

(Don't think anything of The Witcher 2 being the example. I finished it yesterday and loved it).

I've found that my average time is 3-4 hours.  
Off the top of my head, I bought Arkham City, Witcher 2 and The Saboteur after 3.5-4 pirated hours, whereas Crysis 2 took me just 2 hours to realize how much of a disgraceful abomination it was. I wouldn't buy it for a nickel. I did keep going for a couple more hours, hoping the game would go back to the Crysis roots, looking for any reason to buy it, but less than halfway-through I just deleted the fucking thing. 
 
 
@Kidavenger said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

@Kidavenger said:

I'm sure Crysis 2 ran great on your 8600 dude, get over yourself.

6.5 hours of gameplay, yes, it had a decent FPS and ran twice as good as Brink. Get some prespective, bro.

As much as you want it to, this still doesn't change the fact that you are complaining about not being able to play a game when you don't even meet the developer's minimum required specs.

Are we seriously gonna argue about this? In my opinion and based on what tons of PC gamers say on the internet, the announced system requirements of a given game sometimes barely get you to the main menu of the game, and sometimes unsupported cards actually do good even though they don't even meet the minimum.
 
Let's agree to disagree, I'm not gonna argue when you clearly have no experience with this.
#45 Edited by I_smell (3924 posts) -

@YI_Orange:If you're living by the rules that you don't have to pay for something if you don't like it, then that quickly breaks the rules of everything, and nobody would have a successful business.

@Kidavenger: Also it's on Xbox and PS3 for like $30. They redesigned the CryEngine to work on consoles for pretty much this exact reason we're talking about: So that anyone could play it and they'd be losing less sales to piracy.

#46 Posted by mordukai (7151 posts) -

@FritzDude said:

...but it sure does give me a good understanding on how shitty our humanity is.

It took that to give you a good understanding of how shitty our human nature can get? History books...Go read some. /s

@AhmadMetallic said:

@Kidavenger said:

Experimenting: I don't know how you can even bring this up being a member of this site, ever hear of quicklooks, everything you need to know to make a purchase decision gameplay/content wise is right there.

You're not being serious right?

I think his user name should give you a very good indication that, YES! He's very serious. QL are great and all but they give very little information about how you would react to actually playing the game. It's like saying that reading about sword fighting technics makes you a proficient in sword fighting.

#47 Posted by Kidavenger (3556 posts) -

@I_smell said:

@Kidavenger: Also it's on Xbox and PS3 for like $30. They redesigned the CryEngine to work on consoles for pretty much this exact reason we're talking about: So that anyone could play it and they'd be losing less sales to piracy.

My point has been sidetracked by all this crysis 2 stuff.

The original point I was refering to is that PirateMetallic wasn't sure whether he could play Brink or not on his old computer with an 8600GT, Brink's developer clearly stated that you need a 8800 at a bare minimum, any reasonable person would have taken this as a clear sign that the game isn't going to play well if at all, but PIrateMetallic decided to ignore all this, steal the game, and come here to complain about it and use it for a basis of argument supporting piracy.

Online
#48 Posted by Kidavenger (3556 posts) -

@Mordukai said:

I think his user name should give you a very good indication that, YES! He's very serious. QL are great and all but they give very little information about how you would react to actually playing the game. It's like saying that reading about sword fighting technics makes you a proficient in sword fighting.

If we've come to the part of this thread where we start making stupid analogies, I think it's time I go steal a Corvette just to see how it handles, I promise to bring it back and buy one if I like it!

Online
#49 Posted by Sweep (8865 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic said:

@Sweep said:

Secondly, I agree that not knowing if a game will work is a pain, and I wasted a lot of money when I was younger buying games that then wouldn't start because my laptop wasn't powerful enough to run them. Piracy is not the solution to this - though I can understand how it's a consequence. I'd argue that Demo's are the way forward and I'm always surprised that there aren't more Demo's available. Alternatively, buy a console. When you go out and buy an xbox game you can be sure it's going to run on an xbox.

Real life Sweep & Ahmad know that that's a truck of shit. Come on. You want me to buy a fucking Xbox when I have a gaming PC that runs 80% of the games out there decently? (Well not anymore, I recently bought a beast, I'm talking about the older one) instead of downloading a game to see if it runs or not?
I don't even like Xbox gaming! And my PS3 is gathering dust.

Well, yes, actually. If your alternative is to steal the game, then yes, I think that's a viable solution - because ANY solution would be better than stealing it. I think you reject the suggestion on principle because you are a bit of a PC fanboy ;)

But lets not go into that.

Moderator
#50 Posted by YI_Orange (1148 posts) -

@I_smell: That isn't what I said. I was asking when a game stopped being a "demo" and should be payed for regardless of your opinion of the game.