Idk

Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 34

I decided to look this up on Google, and came across an article on Wired about the usage of "video game" vs. "videogame": 

Bill Kunkel, former editor of Electronic Games and Tips and Tricks and tied for first place as The First Ever Video Game Journalist, weighs in on the great "videogame" versus "video game" debate with an interesting anecdote.

Apparently, when Kunkel (pictured right on a panel at CGE with some random guy) and Arnie Katz started up Electronic Games, the accepted industry standard was videogame, one word:

It doesn’t make sense grammatically, but that’s how the industry spelled it and I always felt it reflected the unique nature of the medium. We spelled it that way in ‘78 and I never stopped. What I did not realize was that, over the years, a schism developed over the spelling. I didn’t realize how deeply people felt about it until I suggested that we would adopt that one-word spelling.

And that’s what Kunkel and crew ended up calling the next game magazine they worked on: Videogames And Computer Entertainment, edited by Andy Eddy. But eventually, Eddy decided that it should be two words, because Google searches were turning up far more results for "video game" than "videogame."

So, says Kunkel, he’s backed off and now calls ‘em "video games."

Linked from the article is a forum topic on the subject here, and I also found an old poll on Joystiq about it here.  

So which do you prefer? Video game or videogame? 

Edit: I found another mention of this in an article titled "Videogame Style Guide writes the book on game journalism" at Joystiq.
NekuCTR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By NekuCTR

Make it a new word. It deserves it!

Mighty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Mighty

Always use spaces.
Avatar image for gingertastic_10
gingertastic_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 16

#6  Edited By gingertastic_10

Video Game > Videogame

Pessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Pessh

'Giant Bomb is the world’s largest editable video game database. We're into agility orbs, putting things into boxes, and viewers like you.'

sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By sixghost

I don't see why it should be one word. They're Comic Books, not Comicbooks, etc.

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By jkz

Never merge words just for the hell of it. 

Video games.

DevWil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By DevWil

don't be crazy; it's two words.

JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By JP_Russell

Yeah, video games.  You wouldn't call computer games "computergames."  Videogames is similarly senseless.

zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By zanzibarbreeze

It shouldn't be capitalized. It should just be "video game", not "Video Game", and certainly not "videogame" or "Videogame" or "VideoGame".

Just like it's "Giant Bomb", not "GiantBomb" or "Giantbomb" (even though that's what the kids would have you believe) because the word "giantbomb" does not exist.