• 181 results
#1 Posted by laserbolts (5310 posts) -

Hey duders over the 20 years I have been playing video games I have been through a hell of alot of stories. Some made me happy, some made me angry, some have completely confused me and there are some that have made me sad. I rarely tear up over a videogame and to be honest I can only remember one moment bumming me out enough to cry. It was Final Fantasy 7 when a certain main character dies. I'm not really sure why I care about spoiling that game at this point but eh someone could be playing through it now right? Anyways was wondering are there any games that have made you cry giantbomb? If so what were they? Do you think people are too sensitive if they let video games impact their emotions so much? Sorry for grammar and shitty writing but I suck at life.

#2 Posted by CookieMonster (2416 posts) -

Naa, I can't remember a video game story being good/I've been in invested in enough to upset me in such a way. I did get really upset at this one video game, but I don't want to say too much...Lets just say I was 12 and I didn't like getting scammed on Runescape.

#3 Posted by FilipHolm (667 posts) -

Journey.... can't think of any other game. Maybe mgs4 on the first playthrough?

#4 Posted by James_Giant_Peach (751 posts) -

Yup, same one as you, and a few other JRPGs. Not always crying, but at least feeling upset.

#5 Posted by MikkaQ (10264 posts) -

Only once in Mother 3 when you lose someone close, that hit hard.

#6 Edited by Yummylee (21208 posts) -

I've definitely had feelings n shieette... but I don't think I've ever shed any tears during a video game story.

Well, maybe Dark Souls, though that wasn't because of the story.

#7 Posted by stryker1121 (1327 posts) -

No, never. I wish games could have that kind of emotional resonance but story- and writing-wise the medium is just not at that point. Mind you there are some well written games but none that can drag those sorts of powerful emotions out of me.

#8 Posted by laserbolts (5310 posts) -

@Abyssfull said:

I've definitely had feelings n shieette... but I don't think I've ever shed any tears during a video game story.

Well, maybe Dark Souls, though that wasn't because of the story.

Yeah I hear you there. Ornstein and Smough.

#9 Posted by Pink_o_mat (203 posts) -

Turrican on C64, I was close to the end of the game, left the room and my mother unplugged the computer to plug in the vacuum cleaner.

I usually don't cry when playing a game, only when watching a movie. And I didn't like Aerith/s in FF7!

#10 Posted by Kedi2 (242 posts) -

I've never cried while playing a game. Movies and TV can make me cry, though.

#11 Posted by matthias2437 (985 posts) -

The Mass Effect series has had a few moments that have made me get a little teary eyed. Normally I don't get too attached to video games. Movies on the other hand, I don't give a fuck about admitting that I cry during tons of movies.

#12 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

@FilipHolm said:

Journey.... can't think of any other game. Maybe mgs4 on the first playthrough?

You're joking, right? WTF.

I finished that game the other day, I really don't understand how anybody could cry after playing it.

Also no, the only game that made me feel pretty horrible was The Darkness when Jenny gets killed. Holy shit that was grim.

#13 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5137 posts) -

Nah.

Although I've heard that I cried all the time out of frustration when I was really young. I don't believe it.

#14 Edited by FilipHolm (667 posts) -

@Sooty:

Youu're talking Journey or mgs?

In Mass Effect 3 it was pretty damn close a couple of times as well.

#15 Posted by Quarters (1624 posts) -

Mass Effect 3 had a few moments where I came dangerously close. Even single perfect man tear territory at a couple of points in particular. Can't think of a bunch outside of that.

#16 Posted by Daiphyer (1303 posts) -

Yeah, like others have said, The Mass Effect series is the only series that got me really close to crying.

#17 Edited by ckeats (489 posts) -

Mass Effect easily. Also the the end of the second Phoenix Wright.

I'm also a big baby when it comes to sad stuff, and I have no shame about it.

#18 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

@FilipHolm said:

@Sooty:

Journey for sure

#19 Posted by Jeust (10454 posts) -

Lost Odyssey made me cry. It has such awesome side stories!  

#20 Posted by FilipHolm (667 posts) -

@Sooty said:

@FilipHolm said:

@Sooty:

Journey for sure

For me it's because of the emotional weight and just how beautiful it is... But I get that some people don't feel the same way. ALOT of people have disagreed with my opinions on that game.

#21 Posted by supamon (1333 posts) -

Final Fantasy X.

#22 Posted by StarvingGamer (7919 posts) -

I haven't cried in 18 years...

...but I've gotten close at all of the Phoenix Wright and Professor Layton games. If any game is going to get my tear ducts back in action, it's going to be Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright.

#23 Posted by Elyk247 (365 posts) -

Just watching a video of The Guy Game made me bawl like a little girl.

#24 Posted by Joker369 (868 posts) -

Persona 4 endurance run

#25 Posted by Cwaff (1260 posts) -

Haven't cried but FF7, FF10, MGS4 and Persona 4 got me damn close.

#26 Edited by Animasta (14642 posts) -

Nier, Persona 4, Persona 3, Devil Survivor 2, Ghost Trick, Lost Odyssey, Dead Rising 2

probably more but I can't think of any

oh yeah binary domain

#27 Posted by SefaRed (119 posts) -

Fable 2 was the first game I can think of that moved me that much. Mass Effect 3 had a few moments too, especially the part with Thane in the hospital.

#28 Edited by Questionable (619 posts) -

ICO left a big impression on me, with the way it implies Yorda's death with the whole castle cinematicly crashing down and that music. also Areis death in FF7 seriously put me down for a few days i think.

But no i dont think ive ever had to shed a tear, i have to agree that games a a very poor medium for delivering a emotional story. Ive seen Anime and read stories that made me bawl like a baby but no video game has ever gotten as much as a tear out of me from as far as i can recall.

#29 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19305 posts) -

Persona 4 is the only game that got me close to shedding a tear.

#30 Posted by Hizang (8534 posts) -

I have only cried once, it was Meryl's Death in MGS1, I was like 8 at the time though!

#31 Posted by HellBrendy (992 posts) -

Metal Gear Solid 4, near the end. I didn't cry, but I lumped up in my throat.

But when I found out it wasn't anything to actually cry for, I just got irritated - the whole setup just felt annoying and kind of ruined the end for me.

#32 Posted by Video_Game_King (35842 posts) -

No, but that's more because I'm an emotionally muted person. I've encountered games that have made me come close to crying (well, as close as I'll ever come), but they're a rare sight.

#33 Posted by mscupcakes (612 posts) -

Red Dead Redemption made me tear up a tiny bit, and I'm ashamed to say one point in MW3 almost made me cry.

#34 Posted by TheOther (77 posts) -

Red Dead Redemption came close. The only game that has extracted tears from me was Mass Effect 3. The Mordin part and the Thane part got me to shed a few tears. Talking to all the crew members before the final push was emotional too. The Anderson thing came very close but then the ending happened.

#35 Posted by Grimluck343 (1146 posts) -

Never cried during a video game or a movie. I can understand someone crying during a movie, but over a video game? I just can't relate to that.

#36 Posted by PatchMaster (194 posts) -

Lost Odyssey, Mass Effect, probably a few others. Even Gears 3 almost got me.

#37 Posted by Quarters (1624 posts) -

@Grimluck343 said:

Never cried during a video game or a movie. I can understand someone crying during a movie, but over a video game? I just can't relate to that.

It's only natural. As video game stories and the storytelling becomes more evolved throughout the years, it'll be able to pull more standard emotions out of people that you would more expect from other mediums. With the advent of advanced graphics and better voice work, it's just a matter of a time before it doesn't seem as ridiculous a notion.

#38 Edited by Draxyle (1780 posts) -

The final moments of Persona 3 and 4 never fail to make me misty eyed, for very different reasons. FF10 as well, damn does a lot happen in just those last ten minutes.

#39 Posted by whyareyoucrouchingspock (975 posts) -

The president offering to go for a burger after being saved. Very pointent moment.

#40 Posted by AssInAss (2530 posts) -
#41 Posted by SSValis (1136 posts) -

I can't remember a game that made me cry. I don't think I've ever related with a game story enough. One day maybe.

#42 Posted by Popskinz (409 posts) -

Mass Effect 3 had many tear-jerker moments, other than that; Ornstein and Smough -.-

#43 Posted by dropabombonit (1484 posts) -

MGS3, that ending is so powerful. Also I know it's cliché but the end of SOTC

#44 Posted by YoctoYotta (541 posts) -

@Jeust said:

Lost Odyssey made me cry. It has such awesome side stories!

Yeah, Lost Odyssey's side stories are the only parts of a game that have made me cry. They're so sad!

#45 Posted by believer258 (11565 posts) -

No, not that I can remember. No video game character's death has made me that sad, though to be fair I don't generally cry during movies either.

On a different note, Aeris's death is at this point somewhat akin to a certain sled.

#46 Posted by Jaytow (693 posts) -

No form of fiction has ever made me cry, I'm a badarse..

#47 Posted by Dagbiker (6939 posts) -

Im sure a game has made me cry, not even just because i got frustrated with it when i was 5. I know i got really emotionally invested in Heavy Rain, although that didnt make me cry. I had to take a break from it, and emotionally cut my ties with it.

#48 Posted by SpartanAmbrose (831 posts) -

There were quite a few moments in Mass Effect 3 that brought tears to my eyes. Some of the story beats and character deaths mixed with the music from the first game got to me every time.

#49 Posted by Hairy_Fish (366 posts) -

Playing Super Mario World again recently nearly made me have tears of joy.

#50 Posted by upwarDBound (654 posts) -

I won't cite any specific examples, but there are times in games where a situation strikes so close to home that it has caused me to feel very sad and possibly even cry.