hicks91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By hicks91

An exert from a British TV show 
As an obviously very biased sample of people, what are your views? 
I think the dude from the industry tries hard to make his point heard, yet everyone else disregards his opinion pretty much entirely. His efforts to state that video games are like all media, and as such have a wealth of genres and content seems totally alien to these three, will there ever be a point when video games are accepted, before our generation becomes the rulers? 
Its all very worrying because these people are held in quite high esteem, so if they can spout views like that who knows what everyone else is thinking, and what damage can actually be done?
Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Yukoei

I blame video gam-

Never mind >_>

CaptainObvious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By CaptainObvious

I agree.

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By OllyOxenFree

Hmm you came from /v/ maybe? lol

Anyways, a comment from the thread I agree on- "The same was done with rock the same is occurring with video games. As long as you live people will shun thing they don't understand and treat it as a blight on society until it becomes apart of the culture."

So in due time people will forget about criticizing video games and go to something else.

Also I cannot finish watching the video as it's too rage-inducing.

n00d13z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By n00d13z

Is that why I love racist and wemon jokes? 
Ohhhh, I understand now.

Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Kyreo

Media itself is bad.  Video games isn't the only problem...  

EDIT:  Actually... the Blue suit man is right.  Violence in video games has escalated recently.  Remember No Russian?

Semition

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Semition

If anything, I would say video games have already went through the worst of it. I doubt they can do much worse.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#8  Edited By Video_Game_King

How? How do they promote any of that? Violence? Can't we make the distinction between reality and fiction to know that this shit won't work in real life? Racism? Again, how? A lot of video games are from Japa-OK, I see your point.

Termite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#9  Edited By Termite

Call of Duty 2: Modern Warfare

Great

As for the argument posed there, we've all seen it before. I'm actually going to agree that games can make people slightly more aggressive, as there was a very professional and thorough study done on the matter which got those results, but racism and sexism? I certainly don't see how it promotes racism, and while some games are certainly sexist, so is a lot of media.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By natetodamax

Video games promote violence against people that say video games promote violence. 

That women in the middle is so ignorant it blows my mind.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#11  Edited By Yummylee

Video games are just plain evil, the work of Satan himself...Speaking for activision though, that isn't too far from the truth. 

Musicom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Musicom

The age of that show's target audience is literally about 56. Your typical socially out of touch, back in my day etc. etc., type of person / fool. Not worth paying any attention or comment to really.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By Ghostiet

The topic's name is disappointing - they forgot about global warming, communism and Freemasonry.

@Kyreo said:

" Media itself is bad.  Video games isn't the only problem...   EDIT:  Actually... the Blue suit man is right.  Violence in video games has escalated recently.  Remember No Russian? "

What has "No Russian" to do with the rumoured escalation of video game violence? You don't even have to shoot there. Not to mention the fact that it is story forced and actually has some meaning to the plot. If we're hanging on "No Russian", let's hang on GTA, because killing random pedestrians is much more cruel (and guess what, you still have the choice not to do it).

Besides, one could argue that video game violence happens to be not as dumb as the movie one these times. In God of War, no one tries to bullshit me how Kratos contributes to the world and actually is a good vigilante by basicly swimming in a pool of infinite blood (like the Saw series try - yeah, we know, Jigsaw blows a girl's head off with a shotgun trap, but he blows her head off good!). We still have shit like Rogue Warrior, but that crap barely sells, mostly because you need more than gore to sell a game.

SammydesinasNL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By SammydesinasNL

Call of DUty 2 : Modern Warfare?
evanbrau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15  Edited By evanbrau

The Alan Titschmarch show is for people who read the Daily Mail and as such is for people who are completely irrelevant and will probably die soon.

tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By tebbit
@Abyssfull said:
"
Video games are just plain evil, the work of Satan himself...Speaking for activision though, that isn't too far from the truth. 

"I vant to suck your blaaaaaaahd" 
"
Fixed.
Avatar image for redeyesbluebunny
RedEyesBlueBunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#17  Edited By RedEyesBlueBunny

let's set up this one guy who represents video games and bring in two other people to help me badger him along with this crowd made up of people who also seem to hate video games. i think it'll be a great way to get things figured out about this "violence in video games" issue

Avatar image for manhattan_project
manhattan_project

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its clips like this that make me wish Adam Sessler could be the official spokesman/PR person for video games.
That guy would absolutely destroy those two.

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By OllyOxenFree
@Manhattan_Project said:
" Its clips like this that make me wish Adam Sessler could be the official spokesman/PR person for video games. That guy would absolutely destroy those two. "
Don't mess with the Sess.
Izaak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Izaak

This is Britain's equivalent of the Bill O'Reilly show, and similarly, It broadcasts the views of completely bigoted morons who probably never even touched a controller, in this case. 

Bombs_Away

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Bombs_Away

If it's not video games it's something else...As Chris Rock so eloquently put, "What the fuck was Hitler listening to?"

VisariLoyalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#22  Edited By VisariLoyalist

what do you expect he's british! ha...... no I just got lazy I don't hate british people

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By OmegaPirate

Dont pay attention to alan titchmarsh- most people here in the uk ignore him- he had a gardening show for a while but now he just sits and interviews boring people and talks nice and slowly/gently for the elderly

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#24  Edited By Undeadpool

Have you read or heard of "The Dumbest Generation"? The kind of people who write/read that book are the kind of people who watch this show. They're not evil. They're just old.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#25  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I don't think anybody here needs to be told what an uninformed, ignorant and biased excuse for a debate that was. I wish they'd have acknowledged just once that parents have a right to stop their kids playing violent video games instead of just scapegoating and making themselves look like idiots in the eyes of people who actually have a well-informed opinion of video games. I think one of the worst excuses presented in this whole thing was that you can't stop a kid playing a violent video game if it's in your house, plenty of people keep alcohol in their house, that doesn't mean you see kids wandering around on the streets drunk and if you really have no way of stopping your kids playing violent video games then don't bring them into your house in the first place. 

Of course at a loss for any real arguments in situations like this the anti-video games speakers (who often seem to outnumber the pro video game speakers) can just spurt out statements like "violence are bad" and the audience will clap like seals. I have to give some kudos to the guy defending video games because against an onslaught of ignorance and all his valid points remaining unrecognised he held up well.

time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By time allen

alan titchmarsh became famous over here in the uk as a gardener. a gardener. he quite clearly boasts his lack of knowledge over most things on his tv show regularly.

also "call of duty 2... modern warfare" made me chuckle.

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Pazy

Its quite a problem in the media where they will choose a thing to hate, in this case video games, and then put loaded questions to people, or ask question that have answers longer than 20 seconds and talk over them. He made some great points but they seemed to be ignored, he said multiple times about the age ratings being legally binding yet they kept harping on about about gPeiving violent video games to children. I was especially annoyed when the woman asked something like "How do you defend a shootout in an airport that was in some videogame?", Ive played "No Russian" and I understand its place within the story which makes you understand what Makarov is capable of and some of the morally disgusting positions that good people have to go through in order to protect people.

I do have to applaud the man for going on the show considering his job was to show unformed people that beleive video games are the enemy that video games are the enemy. There is nothing he could say to get them on his side, he quite righly said parents need to learn more, they applaud the women for saying "A survey said video games are evil" and he said "The UK Goverments offiial survey said otherwise" and he seems to essentially get ignored.

Its disgusting and will either pass over with time or when something new comes out to hate.

wwfundertaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 25

#28  Edited By wwfundertaker

I remember that, i once said im not going to watch a show hosted by a former gardner.

dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By dbz1995

I felt really sorry for the dude. Get me there and I'd have kicked their ass. Although that would probably have gone against my point.

Musicom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Musicom
@Izaak said:
" This is Britain's equivalent of the Bill O'Reilly show "
Eh? Not even remotely.
Phaseshift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Phaseshift

I wouldn't worry about this too much, just more ill informed people talking trash.

demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#32  Edited By demontium
@hicks91: lol "Call of Duty 2: Modern Warfare 2" 

fail.
xMP44x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By xMP44x

My view is: wrong. Videogames promote escapism, to go into another world and do stuff you'd never normally get to do. Like shoot each other and drive-by a ho. Alright, maybe I might be running through Call of Duty, and Grand Theft Auto, but that is due to the fact they're well known franchises and they both have had controversy in their past. Because I can raid a Russian airport in-game, I simply must be the sort of person who wishes to acquire a high-powered rifle and unload in a busy building? No, because real life is not a videogame. And games are a form of escapism, not a form of propaganda.

Politicans and biased idiots like that man need to pick up a controller and play some games first. They need to respect the fact that games are not the reason people go out and commit murder 100% of the time. Granted, some people have admitted to murder (Stefan Pakeera was murdered by a friend who was obsessed with the PS2 game Manhunt, for example). This is a minority event, and as tragic as it is, it needs to be accepted that games are only that. Games. They won't mentally effect most people, but there should be more precautions for those who are mentally unstable. In other words, let them play games - we all want escapism - but don't let them play games where they could get 'ideas'.

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#34  Edited By animateria

It's FOX news all over again...

Woot!

gogobomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#35  Edited By gogobomb

i really hate people like this who think video games are like the worst thing ever, but at least that one guy says non violent video games are good, all the other guys probably think all video games are bad

Symphony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#36  Edited By Symphony

Criticism by extremists is all part of knowing that something has become accepted as the norm in society. Books, motion pictures, television, various genres of music, etc. have all undergone the same sort of scrutiny.

Fear-mongers will continue to spew their opinions to an audience that is completely irrelevant, while the rest of us continue to enjoy whatever it is they've deemed relevant enough in today's culture to scream about.

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#37  Edited By wefwefasdf
@Bombs_Away said:
" If it's not video games it's something else...As Chris Rock so eloquently put, "What the fuck was Hitler listening to?" "
Very good point. What WAS he listening to? :P
Belonpopo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#38  Edited By Belonpopo

That's why they're awesome.

Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#39  Edited By Atlas

It's good that we can all realise that Alan Titchmarsh's show is about the most right wing conservative change-hating asylum seeker fearing show on television here in the United Kingdom, and I think Tim Ingham was extremely brave to face a hostile audience and a completely hostile and sensationalist c*nt in the seat next to him and try and deliver the rational and sensible points to explain to those who don't know much about video games why, to those on the outside looking in, they can come across as extremely violent.

I was saddened to see Kelvin McKenzie's stance on the issue. He always seemed to be more level-headed than that. Shame. Fun fact: I went to the same school as him.

bobber205

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By bobber205

"Call of Duty 2: Modern Warfare" ahahahahaha

zyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#41  Edited By zyn
@Tarsier said:
" fuuuuuckk.. that woman.. "
spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 12

#42  Edited By spankingaddict

video games promote racism? haha, now thats funny ;)

Avatar image for ravenousrattler
Ravenousrattler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Ravenousrattler

Wow those are some ignorant dinosaurs right there. A republican speaking at a college would have an easier time getting thru.The guy had zero chance of getting thru to those people, their minds are made up and nothing will change them, just like the people before them bashing comic books, movies, and rock and roll.

pepsipat1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By pepsipat1
@Yukoei:
Blame the rap music it always works.
jonnyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#45  Edited By jonnyboy

Alan Titchmarch if a fucking gardener. No I'm not joking.

If I want advice on how to properly care for my tulips, I'll phone Alan. For videogame information I think I'll stick to Giant Bomb.

Bennyishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#46  Edited By Bennyishere

I love how the anti-gaming people are like 80 years old. I'm confident that in a couple of decades, this will no longer be an issue since there are no more scared, old people left.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Shadow

Talking about games like Call of Duty 2 and Modern Warfare, it's hard to imagine them not knowing what they're talking about.

izzygraze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By izzygraze
@hicks91 said:

"   

will there ever be a point when video games are accepted, before our generation becomes the rulers? Its all very worrying because these people are held in quite high esteem, so if they can spout views like that who knows what everyone else is thinking, and what damage can actually be done? "
I think we can all agree that that wasn't a debate but just an excuse for those three to attack video games in general.

Will video games be accepted before our generation becomes the rulers? I don't think so. It seems the baby boomer generation is the main obstacle for positive media and portrayal of video games. There are some from that generation who've adapted and maybe even helped build it but then there are all those who never tried and now just yell at anyone who's willing to listen. I mean that was ridiculous! Video games are easier to get a hold of than movies because video games are in the homes? This isn't the 1930s you can watch a movie at home.

Either the baby boomers step aside or video games get more narrative appeal and well...mature a bit. There is a hell of a lot of sexism in video games and nonsensical violence. If we start getting the citizen kanes of video games and can give undeniable proof of the value of video games then I think the public will start accepting them. And I think we're heading in the right direction with games like: Little big planet, Heavy Rain, Mass Effect 2, Uncharted 2, Braid, and many others. I haven't played Call of Duty 4 yet but I hear great things about the narrative there and *Gasp!* that's a shooter!

Once we get a few aces for our deck, then I think public opinion will start to change.
lemon360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By lemon360

That guy is so old he sees Call of Duty 2 and thinks its modern.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By ryanwho

Games have all three of those things in them, now more prevalently than ever, to ignore that fact is ignorant. To put everything on a single media is also ignorant. Everything influences someone, its stupid to pretend otherwise. But you can only put so much blame on that before putting some of the burden on the legal gaurdian. You can't abandon your kids in front of the TV then complain that they're getting badly influenced while you're not around.