Video Games to go Supreme.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By mordukai

The US Supreme Court will assemble tomorrow to start the hearing for California senator Leland Yee law about banning the sale of Ultra Violent video games to minors. Yee's bill basically states that the ESRB rating system is not acceptable and all video games classified as Ultra Violet should be marked with an 18 sticker on it and should not be displayed and be separated in it's own spacial section. Further more Yee wants all games with said sticker to be ban from being sold to minors. The law also states that any retailer caught selling said games to minor will be heavily fined.  while you might come and say that this law will not affect you as an adult then you might want to rethink your position. If this law will go into effect it will have far reaching ramification then you can imagine. 

The US Supreme Court won't be making the ruling tomorrow and will have until June 2011. Until then you can  take action at the VGVN web site and show your support against this unconstitutional law.  

EDIT: Ted Price of Insomniac has actually given a very good interview to G4 explaining this law and why you should stand up against it. 

TNK1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By TNK1

Dude i've been spreading this news everywhere and nobody seems to get this new law. it's good that u put a video explanation up. Maybe the ppl who say "if it keeps the 12-year-olds from yelling on my mic it's fine with me" will finally get what this law really means.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By mordukai
@TNK1: I know. people just seem placid. I actually got an email from a friend of mine about this law. I am going to be sending Senator Yee my controller LOL. 
TNK1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By TNK1

People don't let this happen to our beloved games. It breaks the constitutional rights! Seems like the world is becoming like the film/book 1984. Stick up for your rights ppl.

TNK1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By TNK1

it's sad ppl aren't spreading this news.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#6  Edited By ArbitraryWater
@TNK1 said:
" it's sad ppl aren't spreading this news. "
You do know that there have been, what, 5 billion threads on this exact issue? All filled with similar levels of internet rage? No, the news was spread about 2 weeks ago.
Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Hunkulese

There's nothing wrong with the law and there really should be tighter restrictions on selling M rated games to minors. The problem I have is that they're only targeting videogames. There's no reason why senator Yee shouldn't be including movies and music as they are just as influential.

TNK1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By TNK1
@Hunkulese: Dude none of those things u listed are telling u to kill,have sex,or do drugs. it's all just pretend.It's the parents' job to teach what is right and what is wrong. so if a mom goes in the store with her  8-year-old son and he wants her to buy the new gta the clerk will say this game has sexual themes,intense violence,strong language and more but she'll just say yeah yeah put it on my card it's her fault.
TNK1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By TNK1
@Hunkulese: Dude did u even watch the video?
Ragdrazi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Ragdrazi
@Mordukai:  Brilliant video. Thank you.
Avatar image for deactivated-6022efe9ba3cf
deactivated-6022efe9ba3cf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

shoot yourself in the head to cast bufu

Shasam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By Shasam

I'm not American, so this obviously doesn't affect me. However, the posted video does help to explain why this is a bad thing, and everyone should definitely take a look at that. In my opinion, this isn't the right way to go, but somewhere there is a happy middle-ground. With retailers already doing a better job at enforcing the ratings system than those in other media areas, that's definitely not the right way to tackle the issue. 

The best way to change the current situation, which in my opinion isn't a bad one at all, is education of parents and carers. A site like What They Play gives a decent place for parents to go to learn about the games that their children are playing. Working to build a site like that which can provide very detailed information for parents and then widely distributing knowledge of its existence to the people who are going to need it would probably go a long way towards...well, whatever it is that Leland Yee wants to stop. 

It's tricky. They have a lot of power, but no evidence, whereas we have a pretty strong voice and good ideas, but not enough representation for the masses. Eventually, this will sort itself out, but I don't think this is the one that's going to do that. And just remember, in about 20 years a vast majority of people will have grown up playing games in some way, and then they'll be the ones making the laws.

skadbob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By skadbob

If you are an English-speaking gamer, this will affect you. This case affects what developers everywhere will produce. It will also affect what foreign-developed games get localized into English (think what this might mean for Capcom, PlatinumGames, or the chances for an English version of Demon Souls 2 or Catherine). The case has the potential to effectively shrink the US market... and that's not really good for anyone.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By mordukai
@Shasam: The problem also comes from the fact that that the government is trying to do the job of the parents. Most parents have no clue about video games and most of the information they get is through the news media outlets.
BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By BraveToaster

Yee is an idiot.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By NekuSakuraba

Hold on, am I missing something? As far as I knew you can't sell M games to minors anyway. 

What is this trying to prove?

skadbob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By skadbob
@NekuSakuraba: A democrat trying his best to troll republicans by promoting virtual guns regulation.
mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By mordukai
@NekuSakuraba said:
" Hold on, am I missing something? As far as I knew you can't sell M games to minors anyway.  What is this trying to prove? "
Actually you can with the parents consent. This bill propose that the selling of M rated will be banned for minors, parents permission or not. Just because you are a minor doesn't mean the First Amendment doesn't apply to you. 
solidlife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By solidlife

In England we have Pegi which is Like ERSB ratings but it is backed up by law, meaning if you sell to a minor then the store can get fined. But it is not as bad as this the games are not put on a top shelf or in a separate part of the store or not advertised. Also there is no difference between a 7 12 15 18 stickers. But the law that they want to put in there seems way OOT and treating the games they deem as "violent" seems much worst and wrong. 

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#20  Edited By JJWeatherman

The supreme court really should have better things to do.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By NekuSakuraba
@Mordukai said:

" @NekuSakuraba said:

" Hold on, am I missing something? As far as I knew you can't sell M games to minors anyway.  What is this trying to prove? "
Actually you can with the parents consent. This bill propose that the selling of M rated will be banned for minors, parents permission or not. Just because you are a minor doesn't mean the First Amendment doesn't apply to you.  "
Why can't a parent just buy the game and go and give it to their kids? 
Avatar image for theseductivemoose
TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't like censorship. It sucks ass.

Eaxis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#23  Edited By Eaxis

If you're an American you should vote. It may have larger consequences for game developers than you might think, and therefore it will impact many more.
NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By NekuSakuraba
@NekuSakuraba said:
" @Mordukai said:

" @NekuSakuraba said:

Actually you can with the parents consent. This bill propose that the selling of M rated will be banned for minors, parents permission or not. Just because you are a minor doesn't mean the First Amendment doesn't apply to you.  "
Why can't a parent just buy the game and go and give it to their kids?  "
This question remains...
LegalBagel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 7

#25  Edited By LegalBagel
@NekuSakuraba: They can, but that's not the point.  It also affects the rights of adults through a "chilling effect" on what can be produced.  What I can purchase will be affected by the government's vague standards of appropriateness.  It's why almost no government regulations based on the content of movies/music/video games are constitutional.

If retailers can now be fined by the government for selling M rated games to minors, retailers will be less likely to stock those games.  Therefore publishers and financial backers will be less likely to publish those games, and developers will be forced to "tone down" their games to meet whatever the government decides is appropriate for kids.  Indeed, given that its unclear what games and what level of "violence" meets the statute, developers will be discouraged from even coming close to the line to avoid running into lawsuits and publisher disputes.

It's fine if the industry, community, and parents do it on its own in a voluntary way.  It's not fine if the government censorship committee comes together to decide what's appropriate.  That's the whole point of the First Amendment.
mfpantst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26  Edited By mfpantst

Ok so I agree with his moral argument but not constitutional argument.  He's arguing using hypotheticals that may or may not hold up (that stores would stop carrying games with an 18 sticker) and arguing that having a second sticker would psychologically affect purchasers in a way that I disagree with.

That being said, parents should watch what their kids do and people with a decent moral compass should be able to make their own decisions.

LegalBagel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By LegalBagel

So far so good according to reports from people who heard the argument: 

"Some of the Grimm's Fairy Tales are quite grim," Justice Scalia told an attorney for California. "Are they OK? Are you going to ban them, too?" "What about films? What about comic books?"

skadbob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By skadbob
@Deathpooky: It's really awesome those things are said. But I want to rub Purell on my brain because Scalia said them.
LegalBagel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By LegalBagel
@UncertainOtter: I generally have to reconcile that myself.  I dislike a lot of Scalia's stuff, but on the First Amendment and some other rights issues he's a pretty big champion of being absolute on them.
nickux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#30  Edited By nickux

The only thing I like to go supreme is pizza