#1 Posted by jeff4moso (212 posts) -

So I finished up Spec Ops: The Line and Binary Domain recently. I really liked both of their stories and am looking for other games with cool stories. I've done a little research on my own, but some suggestions from the community would be appreciated since that's where I heard about both Spec Ops and Binary Domain. You guys seems to have good tastes when it comes to video game stories :-)

Thanks duders!

#2 Posted by believer258 (11949 posts) -

This is going to sound crazy but I think Bulletstorm had an oddly decent story. Certainly the humor in the writing and the made-up curse words aren't great, but the characterization and the way the story moves is good.

#3 Posted by jeff4moso (212 posts) -

@believer258: Already played Bulletstorm. I remember liking it, but I can't really remember the story...I just liked the "kill with skill" system.

#4 Posted by Timing (620 posts) -

Play this. Should be really cheap these days.

I hope you like plot-twists.

#5 Posted by Itwastuesday (967 posts) -
#6 Posted by SerHulse (685 posts) -

Yakuza 3, takes a while to really get going, but it rarely slows down afterwards, however it certainly isn't everyone's cup of tea. (Hope you like reading)

#7 Posted by IzzyGraze (850 posts) -
#8 Edited by panvixyl (325 posts) -

I will sing the praises of the Silent Hill 2 storyline until I fucking die.

Edit: There are actually a lot of horror games with great stories provided you can work through some... interesting control schemes.

#9 Posted by Roger778 (958 posts) -

The Mass Effect games have a great story that expands throughout all three games. But from what I hear, you will need to get all the DLC's for ME3 in order to fully enjoy it, including the Extended Cut. It's worth it, though. They're the best games I've played on the X-Box 360.

Another recommendation is The Darkness. It's one of the best story-driven games I've ever played. It's a horror-based first-person shooter, with great voice acting, and wicked powers for you to learn from your fellow sidekick beasts. Also, Mike Patton is seriously creepy as the voice of The Darkness.

#10 Edited by Jeust (10680 posts) -
@Timing said:

Play this. Should be really cheap these days.

I hope you like plot-twists.  

@panvixyl said: 

I will sing the praises of the Silent Hill 2 storyline until I fucking die.

Edit: There are actually a lot of horror games with great stories provided you can work through some... interesting control schemes.

@Roger778 said:

Another recommendation is The Darkness. It's one of the best story-driven games I've ever played. It's a horror-based first-person shooter, with great voice acting, and wicked powers for you to learn from your fellow sidekick beasts. Also, Mike Patton is seriously creepy as the voice of The Darkness.

I agree. Other games with great stories are: 

• Deadly Premonition
  • Sanitarium
  • Silent Hill: Downpour
  • Drakengard (especially in conjuction with Nier, as the story ties together)
  • Brutal Legend
  • Shadows of the Damned
  • Knights of the Old Republic 1 & 2
  • Jade Empire
  • Witcher 1 & 2
  • Final Fantasy X
  • Final Fantasy VI
  • Lone Survivor
  • Heavenly Sword
  • Catherine
  • Persona 3 FES
  • American Mcgee's Alice
  • Alice: Madness Returns
  • Infamous 1 & 2
  • Dead Space Extraction
#11 Posted by Gamer_152 (14081 posts) -
  • Bioshock
  • The Mass Effect games
  • Deus Ex: Human Revolution
  • Fallout 3 and New Vegas
  • Braid
  • Saint's Row: The Third
#12 Posted by wewantsthering (1570 posts) -
#13 Posted by Zrais (144 posts) -

Bioshock

Lone Survivor

Bastion

Walking Dead

#14 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Oh so many examples that I can't list here, and everybody knows the examples I want to list, anyway.

#15 Posted by DarthOrange (3864 posts) -
#16 Posted by LackingSaint (1818 posts) -

I'll always believe that Bioshock 2's story is superior to Bioshock in many ways. If anyone liked the first game and was worried about the second because of negative buzz, check it out.

#17 Edited by TheHT (11376 posts) -
  • Max Payne 1 and 2
  • Alan Wake
  • Deus Ex 1
  • Mass Effect 1, 2, and 3
  • Half-Life 2 and episodes
  • Knights of the Old Republic 1 and 2
  • StarCraft and StarCraft: Broodwar
  • Zeno Clash
  • Limbo
  • Assassin's Creed 2 and Brotherhood
  • Demon's Souls