Video Responses to QOTW: OK not to like it, not ok to be a jerk.

irishjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Edited By irishjohn

I made the decision to start blogging casually about games again in the last couple of days, and swiftly encountered an old problem, namely, finding things to write about.  I don’t get to play as much as I want (thank you, grad school) and I’d like to write about more than the two hours of FEAR 2 I squeezed in today.

Then the guys at giantbomb posted the video responses to the Question of the Week.  I wasn’t particularly keen on the idea, but it was worth a shot.  At the very least, it was evidence of giantbomb’s continuing commitment to giving the community a central role in the directions the site takes.  The end result feels a little bit like the things I dislike most about video game coverage on television, or the video blogs that proliferate on youtube.  However, if most people liked it, it could become a regular feature.  Democracy in action.

Whatever about most users though, those who decided to comment seem against the idea in the majority.  That’s cool.  I agree with them.  I do not agree, however, with some of the crappy behaviour from a small minority.  In the main, people were constructive with criticism, or honest without being jerks:

“It's a good idea but it was not quite executed the way that felt right to viewers.”

“hmm.. didn't like it.”

“No more of this please.”

“im sorry, but watching these vids makes me feel like im watching X-Play, and i kinda hate X-Play (especially when they show this kinds of stuff). thats why im happy with the user e-mails and i don't mind listening to user phone calls if they ever decide do one.”

Or had a bit of fun:

“NECKBEARDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”

(I’m pretty sure this was reasonably good-hearted)

But some of it was uncalled for:

“I love the disgusting fat fucker saying CoD4 is "the best shooter ever made." Jesus pick videos with people that dont make me feel sad I visit GB.”

“that third guy is really effeminate”

Really? I know being insulting in the safety of anonymity is apparently the right of every Internet user, and have been the victim of this myself, but was it really that bad? The guys that run the site posted a compilation of videos from site users that you could choose not to watch if you didn’t like it.  That's it.

Giantbomb is a great site, and the relatively hands-off approach in moderating comments means that we can have a row with each other now and again. We can use a bit of choice language if we feel like it.  It must be said, the comments reflected a common opinion that the videos felt awkward and it wasn’t a good idea.  Several users lamented the hate going on.  I suppose I’m just disappointed anyone at all felt the need to be a jerk to other giantbomb users.  This site is about a community of people who like video games.  The users who submitted those videos were contributing to the site.  I’m sorry that they may have had to read something hurtful by someone too careless to remember people have feelings.

irishjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By irishjohn

I made the decision to start blogging casually about games again in the last couple of days, and swiftly encountered an old problem, namely, finding things to write about.  I don’t get to play as much as I want (thank you, grad school) and I’d like to write about more than the two hours of FEAR 2 I squeezed in today.

Then the guys at giantbomb posted the video responses to the Question of the Week.  I wasn’t particularly keen on the idea, but it was worth a shot.  At the very least, it was evidence of giantbomb’s continuing commitment to giving the community a central role in the directions the site takes.  The end result feels a little bit like the things I dislike most about video game coverage on television, or the video blogs that proliferate on youtube.  However, if most people liked it, it could become a regular feature.  Democracy in action.

Whatever about most users though, those who decided to comment seem against the idea in the majority.  That’s cool.  I agree with them.  I do not agree, however, with some of the crappy behaviour from a small minority.  In the main, people were constructive with criticism, or honest without being jerks:

“It's a good idea but it was not quite executed the way that felt right to viewers.”

“hmm.. didn't like it.”

“No more of this please.”

“im sorry, but watching these vids makes me feel like im watching X-Play, and i kinda hate X-Play (especially when they show this kinds of stuff). thats why im happy with the user e-mails and i don't mind listening to user phone calls if they ever decide do one.”

Or had a bit of fun:

“NECKBEARDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”

(I’m pretty sure this was reasonably good-hearted)

But some of it was uncalled for:

“I love the disgusting fat fucker saying CoD4 is "the best shooter ever made." Jesus pick videos with people that dont make me feel sad I visit GB.”

“that third guy is really effeminate”

Really? I know being insulting in the safety of anonymity is apparently the right of every Internet user, and have been the victim of this myself, but was it really that bad? The guys that run the site posted a compilation of videos from site users that you could choose not to watch if you didn’t like it.  That's it.

Giantbomb is a great site, and the relatively hands-off approach in moderating comments means that we can have a row with each other now and again. We can use a bit of choice language if we feel like it.  It must be said, the comments reflected a common opinion that the videos felt awkward and it wasn’t a good idea.  Several users lamented the hate going on.  I suppose I’m just disappointed anyone at all felt the need to be a jerk to other giantbomb users.  This site is about a community of people who like video games.  The users who submitted those videos were contributing to the site.  I’m sorry that they may have had to read something hurtful by someone too careless to remember people have feelings.

tokyochicken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By tokyochicken

Ya some of the bullshit people were postign was uncalled for. I mean, if they don't like it, then don't like it, don't be a dick about it though.

There is a community on the site and its nice that the staff pay attention to that. Sure, not everyone wants to hear about the opinions of a user, they just want the staff's opinion, but thats not the case for everyone. The fact that some people in those comments just want the community ignored is just sad to me. But whatever.
piropeople13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By piropeople13

Amen to this.  At first I was uncomfortable with the videos because they just felt awkward.  But those weren't professional game reviewers so they may not know how to talk as well as Jeff.  I am just glad that people contributed because that is good in and of itself.

Still up in the air as to wheather it is a good long term feature.

evadwolrab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By evadwolrab

It was mildly cringeworthy in fairness, sort of stopped me in my tracks during my outpouring of love for this newly re-discovered site.

No need to get personal though, even if it did kind of remind me of this:

Dauragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Dauragon

Welcome to the internets! Keep your hands and feet inside the vehicle at all times!

Oni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 12

#6  Edited By Oni

Yeah it wasn't totally great. There should be more incentive to at least make a more interesting video than just a talking head, or something. But people reacting like that, I don't know, I guess I kind of thought Giant Bomb users to be above that. Apparently a (small) section isn't.

HazBazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By HazBazz

Believe me, if this video feature went up on GameTrailers, the comments would be 1000 times more hurtfull. I like the feature, its good to see the users of GB, and if my mic wasn't broken I'd probably make my own video responses to the questions

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

^ gametrailers is such a good site but has such a bad community.

HazBazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By HazBazz
SmugDarkLoser said:
"^ gametrailers is such a good site but has such a bad community.
"
agreed, i love gametrailers, they have some really good shows, (especially their retrospectives), but their community is on par with Youtube's
Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10  Edited By Arkthemaniac

Wow.

I just wanted to say that anyone who had posted a hateful comment about one of the users and goes on to say that Giant Bomb is one of the best communities ever needs to be tied to a tree and stoned, because bullshit like that is uncalled for, unnecessary, and plain fucktardish. I especially love this bit.

Technicallyproficient said:
"Yeah, totally embarrassing. I don't really care about what "the community" thinks enough to watch humiliating videos of dudes in their bedrooms talking about games. This is decidedly against the spirit of giant bomb. Kill it.

No, you little bitch, that comment is against the spirit of Giant Bomb. Go to hell and fry.
irishjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By irishjohn
Oni said:
"Yeah it wasn't totally great. There should be more incentive to at least make a more interesting video than just a talking head, or something. But people reacting like that, I don't know, I guess I kind of thought Giant Bomb users to be above that. Apparently a (small) section isn't."
I agree that the talking head thing is a bit of a problem. The new question of the week, which is basically calling on people to video themselves downing a coke as quick as they can like the guys did in the challenge with Mythic, might lead to some more interesting videos.  People can have a bit of fun with it, and that small section of haters can just click on something else.  If the feature doesn't take off they'll just quietly discontinue it, I'm sure.  Democracy in action!
BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12  Edited By BoG

Pruane knows what's important: "There's tons of features. You can kill..." killing is his first of the major features. Yes.

Anyways, I saw many of those comments, and deleted a number of them. I am quite disappointed in the immaturity which took place around this great idea. If it happens again, you can rest knowing the mod squad will take out any negative nancies.
Cheapoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By Cheapoz

I like the people complaining about the quality of the videos, who didn't submit their own.

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14  Edited By Hamz

I'll just copy and paste the response I left in Joseppie's blog concerning this.

I find it funny that the community complains the Staff don't do enough activities to get the community and them involved and taking part in an activity on the site. And when they do extend that opportunity and some of the users on this site take the chance to be apart of it. The rest of you decide to go and shit on them for it.

It takes a lot of courage to actually produce a video and express an opinion on something over the internet. Not many people are comfortable about letting others see what they look, act and sound like and when they do actually show this the last thing they want is to be insulted by the rest of you.

So what would the community rather have? Activities like this where barely anyone is willing to take part because they can't be bothered seeing other people's offensive comments or a community that is willing to take part in this stuff and provide fun, entertainment and food for thought?

I know I would rather see a lot more of the community be willing to take time and be apart of these sort of activities than to see people unwilling to do so because the rest of the community can't understand how to be civil.

Pro tip for you all. GiantBomb has two major rules

1.) Use common sense.
2.) Don't be a dick.

A number of you broke both of those with your comments over the KZ2 question video replies. Now we try to be relaxed here when we moderate, we really really do. But if the community cannot be civil to one another, cannot abide by those two simple rules (as well as the other rules in the FAQ) then maybe we'll have to start cracking the whip a little more until people listen?

To those fine folks who took part in this then congratulations and well done! Don't be disheartened from doing so in the future!
edit | delete
Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By Milkman

I love how all these blog posts are calling for class and kindness and then there are comments like Arkthemaniac calling people "fucktards" and telling people to "go to hell and fry". Very classy. Just goes to show you, "You're a good guy, as long as you agree with me."

The point is that the video was awkward, weird and just plain uncomfortable to watch. The QotW this week is so much better than this one and will assure that the video is much less awkward and should be much more fun, which I think is what Giant Bomb aims for in all their videos. For all the people trying to convince people to be nice, this is the internet. Get over yourselves.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#16  Edited By Red

I think the segment really hinges on the question. The "how fast can you drink a coke" question is pretty good and has a promise for comedy. Watch the segment people.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Shadow

I sort of liked the Halo 3 voiceover.  But I am completely SICK of people thinking it's interesting to literally watch them talk with a camera pointing at them, behind which is either a computer or a blank wall.   BE CREATIVE PEOPLE!  Or at least have an opinion that we haven't heard a million times over.

irishjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By irishjohn

Milkman:

There's no need for people to get over themselves.  It's not too much to ask that users avoid being a prick to people.  The videos might not have been all that entertaining for some (or most) but there's no need to mock these guys for the way they look, for example. 

I have no problem with comments that said the feature wasn't any good, I just had a problem with people who went too far.  The idea that someone can write whatever the hell they like because 'it's the Internet' is bullshit.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#19  Edited By LordAndrew

Milkman clearly does not understand what being part of the community about. No, you don't have to be an active participant in the community or like all the community-related content.
But if you're going to have an account and be part of the community, it's important to be civil and try not to be a complete asshole. If you can't do that, then you shouldn't be part of the community.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By Milkman
Irishjohn said:
"Milkman:

There's no need for people to get over themselves.  It's not too much to ask that users avoid being a prick to people.  The videos might not have been all that entertaining for some (or most) but there's no need to mock these guys for the way they look, for example. 

I have no problem with comments that said the feature wasn't any good, I just had a problem with people who went too far.  The idea that someone can write whatever the hell they like because 'it's the Internet' is bullshit."
LordAndrew said:
"Milkman clearly does not understand what being part of the community about. No, you don't have to be an active participant in the community or like all the community-related content.
But if you're going to have an account and be part of the community, it's important to be civil and try not to be a complete asshole. If you can't do that, then you shouldn't be part of the community.
"
Yeah, I get what you're asking for. Thanks for saying it again. But I'm trying to say is that this is nothing new. You only have to look a couple posts up to see people are dicks. Once again, I point to Arkmaniac. If you think thatcalling people fucktards and telling them to go to hell and fry is civil then sure, I guess your right.
Absurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Absurd
Irishjohn said:

"
I'm sorry, but this comment keeps making me laugh.