Video Reviews?

DG991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By DG991

Hey, so I went back and started watching some video reviews that I previously ignored. I watched Braid, Brutal Legends, and Mirrors edge video reviews. Those were really good... why hasn't one been made since skyward sword? Perhaps you are awaiting a big game to do one on? DMC might have been a good game to do one for.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By mosespippy

There was a BLOPS2 one so you're incorrect about Skyward Sword being the most recent one. The reason they don't do it very often is that capturing the footage of the game that they want takes a lot of time. Then they have to write a script that is different than the written review. Then they have to film it or record a voice over at the very least. Then they have to cut it all together. Basically it's too much work for the amount of traffic it'll get. The cost of doing it is either greater than what they get out of it, or is better spent creating other content.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#3  Edited By Hizang

@DG991: I don't really care for video reviews, that said I don't care much for reviews.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#4  Edited By BeachThunder

I would really, really like some more video reviews; they were always so enjoyable (and informative) to watch. It's a shame there's no plans to make any more though :( I suppose Tomb Raider might make for a good Video Review.

NoobSauceG7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 15

#5  Edited By NoobSauceG7

@mosespippy: You must be thinking of MW3 or something else since the last one was Skyward Sword.

They have said that they don't have the proper setup for it now and that it does take a lot of time so while video reviews are cool, I would rather have their time spent on more fun stuff like yesterdays live stream and all the other content they put out. Quick looks have taken the place for a review in most cases and they still do written reviews which are good to read.

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By wrighteous86

@DG991 said:

Hey, so I went back and started watching some video reviews that I previously ignored. I watched Braid, Brutal Legends, and Mirrors edge video reviews. Those were really good... why hasn't one been made since skyward sword? Perhaps you are awaiting a big game to do one on? DMC might have been a good game to do one for.

They've said that they take a lot of time (both for production reasons and because they need to write a second review, in addition to recording or finding appropriate footage of the game), that could be spent doing Quick Looks or other features. They've also said, despite being pretty popular with vocal users, that Video Reviews consistently draw in the least amount of their audience. For those reasons, Jeff said they're not doing video reviews anymore. (He reiterated this recently on his Tumblr.)

gaminghooligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8  Edited By gaminghooligan

I really don't use reviews anymore. I honestly base most of my game purchases off of the Quick Looks or Let's Plays online. Easier to make a decision if I know exactly what I'm buying.

Superkenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Superkenon

I think they've been phased out because they don't feel like it's worth the time investment it takes to make them. I mean, it's not exactly what people come to this site for -- and yes, that's somewhat of a self-fulfilling prophecy, but they're concerned more with satisfying the crazy video niche they've carved out here, rather than trying to peddle the same ware as every other gaming site.

At the same time, they've never ruled them out from the future. Jeff has expressed desire for more 'produced' content on the site. If not the return of video reviews, I'm sure we'll be getting some other fun thing.

DG991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By DG991

Ok.

I understand why they don't do them anymore. I also understand that most of the people who have replied would rather read a review or watch a quick look. (I have my own opinion on those, but I know they are popular.)

That being said, I would still like to see more video reviews. They were interesting and well done features. It would be nice if they even just did it for a few notable games a year.

But hey, I don't run the site so they can do whatever they want and my opinion alone isn't going to get them to do all that work. I'm just saying, I liked the video reviews and i'd continue to subscribe to see more.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#11  Edited By StarvingGamer

@DG991: I guess the question would be, would you rather see one video review that is essentially the written review repeated verbatim or 2 or more quicklooks?

DG991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By DG991

@StarvingGamer said:

@DG991: I guess the question would be, would you rather see one video review that is essentially the written review repeated verbatim or 2 or more quicklooks?

That wouldn't be the question. The video reviews were not written reviews read verbatim. They were special segments on a game that went over the important bits with some video to drive the message home. I'd rather see the same quality of work on other video reviews than 5 quick looks, personally. Quick looks can be done by anyone who has the game... they are just recording themselves playing a game. I know they are very popular with a lot of people on this site though and I am aware I am in the minority when I say I rarely watch them.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By StarvingGamer
@DG991 Really? Maybe it wasn't verbatim, but I watched every video review they put out and always left feeling like it was a rehashing of the written review I had just read.
Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14  Edited By Getz

Doesn't seem like the staff has the desire to spend the effort required to produce video reviews. Quick looks pretty much cover most of the bases when it comes to video content and Video Reviews take a fair amount of man-hours to produce, mostly from Vinny and Drew. If they had a bigger production team I'm sure they'd consider it, but as it stands now I'd much rather have them focus on the stuff like live productions and QL.

glyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#15  Edited By glyn

Quick Looks + Written Review + Podcast + Other websites + Demo of game = Enough to warrant not needing a video review

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#16  Edited By Undeadpool

@Wrighteous86 said:

@DG991 said:

They've said that they take a lot of time (both for production reasons and because they need to write a second review, in addition to recording or finding appropriate footage of the game), that could be spent doing Quick Looks or other features. They've also said, despite being pretty popular with vocal users, that Video Reviews consistently draw in the least amount of their audience. For those reasons, Jeff said they're not doing video reviews anymore. (He reiterated this recently on his Tumblr.)

Bingo bango bongo.

DG991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By DG991

I am sure there are a lot of technical things that go into getting the videos up on the site and stuff that I am not aware of and I am not picking on Vinny or anyone. But while I can see video reviews being quite a lot of work, I don't think quick looks take much. They are just playing a game, talking, and recording it. Nothing wrong with it, but nothing too intensive.

Look... the game of the year videos were awesome. I know they worked their butts off putting them together. I don't expect that much content and that kind of quality every week or even every month. But I know they are talented and have some time to do a couple of video reviews a year possibly. And if not video reviews, than some kind of other segment. If Jeff just cut out that segment and added in even more quick looks that really isn't creative at all. I'm trying hard not to say that quick looks are lazy.

PerryVandell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#18  Edited By PerryVandell

Said this before on another thread but video reviews take a considerable amount of time to produce and don't serve much of a purpose when Giant Bomb offers 25+ minute quick looks. Video reviews require that you take a bunch of 5-15 second clips and put them together in an interesting way while helping convey the reviewer's message. So if, say, Jeff includes a complaint about a game's poor AI, then someone has to find an example of AI characters being dumb as rocks. I actually made a video review of Halo Reach and while it was both fun and rewarding to make, it was also took hours and hours to produce. Part of that was due to it being my first video review, but finding the right footage and crafting it into something eye-catching will always take time.

You could make an argument for more video reviews once their production staff grows beyond two (exceptionally hard-working) people, but there's not much reason to make them a priority until that happens.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#19  Edited By Snail

@StarvingGamer said:

@DG991 Really? Maybe it wasn't verbatim, but I watched every video review they put out and always left feeling like it was a rehashing of the written review I had just read.

And people also like to hear authors reading from their own books. Imagine that.

It's not exactly the same thing here obviously, since reviews aren't exactly packed with emotional content, but that remark stands as an analogy. I think hearing the sentences written by Ryan, Vinny, Jeff or Brad with their own voices, their own way of reading, kind of gives you more insight into the way each staff member writes. You know, it's fun. It's fun hearing and watching these guys read what they wrote, because they read it in their own way.

Also, they can be like "this game is pretty cool, but there's this thing about it that really sucks" and then show a clip that demonstrates that thing that really sucks.

I like watching them, and think it's worth the time and effort (I assume) they put into it. Unless they put a ridiculous amount of time into editing these, but then again, they're usually under ten minutes right? I'd like for them to return, but it's not the worst thing ever that they're not doing them. I miss the "Video Revieeewwwww" at the beginning of each video as well. Oh and the endings Vinny and/or Drew would put in.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By mike

Not that the two are mutually exclusive, but if I could choose between a video review and a Quick Look, I'd opt for the latter every time. For me, video reviews and even written reviews have been rendered obsolete by Quick Looks.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By BraveToaster

We've had several of these threads and most of the responses are the same.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By MezZa

Like others have said they just take too much to make for too little gain. Honestly the only thing I ever really looked forward to in a video review was the funny ending bits. The actual review itself usually just repeated what could be found elsewhere.

Kerned

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#23  Edited By Kerned

I don't understand what you find lacking in quick looks. They are essentially just in-depth video reviews, though admittedly lacking a score to tell you what to think. I regard that as a positive.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By StarvingGamer
@Snail I never said they're without value. But they've mentioned a few times that the time it takes to do one Video Review could also be used to do two or more Quicklooks. When that's the tradeoff, I'll take the Quicklooks every time.
glyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By glyn

@MB said:

Not that the two are mutually exclusive, but if I could choose between a video review and a Quick Look, I'd opt for the latter every time. For me, video reviews and even written reviews have been rendered obsolete by Vinny Caravella.

Fixed

Metalisticpain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Metalisticpain

I like the video reviews. Id always watch rather than read. Mainly because the GB team are like the only Game journalists with chemistry in front of a camera. I shudder at the awkward gamespot people that are there now.