#1 Posted by zaphoduk (38 posts) -

Hi, i've never used RSS feeds before so am a total noob. On the Whiskey Media happy hour this week they mentioned that the Video feeds are now up and running. Is there a step by step guide somewhere that can tell me how to get this working please?

Thanks

#2 Edited by AquaGeneral (121 posts) -

From Dave's Twitter : 
 Subscribers. The itunes compatible video feeds are now in beta mode. Give them a whirl, should work for all our sites.http://bit.ly/dtsdoh

Enter one of those RSS feeds into iTunes>Advanced>Subscribe To Podcast. You will then be prompted to login, which from my personal experience requires your email rather than your username.

#3 Posted by zaphoduk (38 posts) -

Thanks for the help. I've managed to setup a couple of the feeds in iTunes but it's only able to download the first video in each category. All the others are coming up with a "URL could not be found on the server" error message within iTunes.

I'd really like to get this sorted out as i stream all the Giantbomb and Tested videos to my WDTV and it'd be nice to have iTunes download them automatically.

#4 Posted by AquaGeneral (121 posts) -

I have a similar problem, where I am unable to download anything after a certain amount of time, since the connection only lasts for a set time for security reasons (or so I imagine that too be the case).

Hopefully it won't be too long until they fix these problems.  

#5 Edited by Fuersliph (19 posts) -

Has anyone tried doing what Jeff was saying on the latest happy hour?  When I setup the xbox to extend off my Win7 box, I get the audio but not video.  I'm working on it now, but if anyones made it happen i'd love to hear how.  

I just verified it works fine with the High quality videos, but not video just sound with the HD videos.

#6 Edited by cximran (52 posts) -

On a related note - does anyone have any suggestions with Non-iTunes video feed downloaders?\

edit: I just figured out a nice workaround with Yahoo pipes - I'll write it up later.

#7 Posted by generalen (124 posts) -

Anyone figure out how to make this work with PMS (PS3 Media Server)? 
I've been messing around for about 4 hours now, and I've finally gotten video streaming to work somewhat (long story short: go here). YouTube, Gametrailers, Discovery Channel stuff, all those work pretty good now, but not Giant Bomb. 

I tried putting the following in my WEB.conf, but it doesn't work:
videofeed.Web,Giantbomb,All videos=http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/feed/high/    
 "There are no titles", the PS3 reports. 

#8 Edited by cximran (52 posts) -
@generalen:  It might have to do with the fact that you need to be authenticated in order to download any Whiskey content. 

I worked around it by using Yahoo Pipes to make a simple GiantBomb pipe that had basic authentication built into it: 

http://pipes.yahoo.com/cximran/gbpipe

You can view the source of the pipe to see how it works, it's great to have a pre-existing pipe module! 

You can also check it to make sure I'm not stealing your Whiskey creds.

I also made a pipe that aggregated all of Whiskey's stuff into one feed.
#9 Posted by nilsth (5 posts) -

I really wish there was some way of getting this on my AppleTV

#10 Posted by zaphoduk (38 posts) -

Now i've got another problem. iTunes asks for my Giantbomb credentials everytime i load it up, despite having ticked the remember me box. Bit of a pain as the idea was to have it autorun on my server, which doesn't have keyboard and monitor attached, so it can just chrun away and grab the videos. But if i have to RDP into my server everytime it boots just to tell iTunes the credentials that kinda defeats the object.

My setup is such that i surf the site on my iPad then watch any videos i want on the WDTV. Having to RDP into the server from the iPad everytime to enter the password is not ideal. Perhaps there is something other than iTunes that could scrape the videos?

#11 Edited by MrOldboy (864 posts) -
@generalen:  

Well seems to work pretty well to be honest. Thought it would be a lot harder with it being in beta and all. Itunes simply downloads the files onto your PC. PS3 media server works like it always does, just put the place where itunes stores the downloads as a folder you want to share. 

I haven't used PS3 media server in a while so the transcoding and crap is all fucked up, but the video plays, but stutters a lot on my network. I had 720p mp4s going fine a while ago though. I think itunes saved my stuff in windows 7 to for example the last QL.

C:\Users\USERNAME\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media\Podcasts\Giant Bomb Subscriber Video Feed_ Quick\Quick Look_ PokéPark Wii_ Pikachu's.mp4    
So I just added the itunes folder or the podcasts folder to PS3 media server and it worked like any other folder.  

Edit: scratch that. The PS3 is being a bitch for some reason on my network. I am using a different router so that might be the problem. But I switched to using the free version of Tversity on the 360. Plays 720p video perfectly on my G network so if you have a 360 go with that. Tversity and my PS3 still stuttered, even more than PS3mediaserver. I googled and apparantly a lot of people had issues with streaming mp4s after some firmware update.
#12 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

Only problem on my end so far is the same thing with it asking for my email and password everytime I fire up iTunes. 
and another problem is that it only shows a few of the ER and Quick Look videos and not everyone single one of them even after messing around with the settings :/ 
silly RSS stuff

#13 Edited by MrOldboy (864 posts) -
@ZeForgotten: I think the rss feed only shows the latest episodes as of now. I can only see like the last 10-15 updates on any of the feeds. Makes the ER feed sort of useless, but I'm sure they'll fix it up. I'm just glad it works at all really and that it is a member benefit. Itunes asks me for my login often too, but not everytime so far. Sort of annoying, but I guess the point is to leave itunes on so it can get the updates every hour. Also is that the shortest time you can have it check for updates, could be annoying if I know something is up and then itunes doesn't notice for an hour. You can manually update it but that defeats the purpose.
#14 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

Can anyone create a comprehensive feed of all giantbomb original conttent, i can't seem to get it to work 

#15 Posted by SquadBroken (280 posts) -

Any progress on a proper guide for video rss?  Details are completely absent on the site.

#16 Posted by Marlowefire (154 posts) -

Yeah, I hate using Itunes, it misses episodes even from the all videos feed and frequently crashes on my computer. Wish there was a better way to get the videos RSS style. 

#17 Posted by Proleet (13 posts) -

Do you have to be a paid member to get access to these feeds? I can't get them to work in iTunes. After filling in my account data (won't accept username, so using e-mail instead), the feed has an exclamation mark next to it (!).

"There was a problem downloading "http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/feed/mobile/".
The URL "http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/feed/mobile/" could not be found on the server.

I really want this to work! Please help.
#18 Posted by sully (69 posts) -
@Proleet said:
" Do you have to be a paid member to get access to these feeds? I can't get them to work in iTunes. After filling in my account data (won't accept username, so using e-mail instead), the feed has an exclamation mark next to it (!).

"There was a problem downloading "http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/feed/mobile/".
The URL "http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/feed/mobile/" could not be found on the server.

I really want this to work! Please help.
"
Yes, at the moment you must be a subscriber to use these feeds - though word is the feeds (except the HD one) will be opened up to the public before too much longer. 
#19 Posted by theredcoat24 (218 posts) -

I've got it up on iTunes, is there anyway to make it faster it';s taking forever, or is there a way to download it to something like RealPlayer or WIndows Player?

#20 Posted by KuribosShoe (640 posts) -

hmm, I just checked the feeds in itunes and apparently not every video is available for download like it used to be, only the 10 or so most recent ones

what's the deal?

#21 Posted by Ohvee (139 posts) -

@cximran: @cximran said:

@generalen: It might have to do with the fact that you need to be authenticated in order to download any Whiskey content.

I worked around it by using Yahoo Pipes to make a simple GiantBomb pipe that had basic authentication built into it:

http://pipes.yahoo.com/cximran/gbpipe

You can view the source of the pipe to see how it works, it's great to have a pre-existing pipe module! You can also check it to make sure I'm not stealing your Whiskey creds. I also made a pipe that aggregated all of Whiskey's stuff into one feed.

Just discovered this after trying to get this stuff streaming on my ps3 through PMS.

I couldn't get your giantbomb pipe to work, but the Whiskey feed seems to work ok. Well, the screened and tested stuff work but not the giantbomb stuff.

Have you continued to work on this?