• 144 results
#1 Posted by Atary77 (500 posts) -

With all the talk about how most video game endings suck these days I figured it wouldn't be a bad idea to talk about the game endings that people actually like. What game endings did you folks feel satisfied with? Games that you felt had a proper conclusion. I apologize if this topic has been done already and if possible try to avoid spoilers if it's a game that's been released recently. However if it's an ending to an older game say, before 2010 then I think it'll be okay. I'll leave that judgement up to you guys.

Me personally I don't have to think back too far. I thought inFamous 2 had a satisfying and logical conclusion to it's story which was pretty well written. Without really giving anything away I can say that unlike a lot of games that have the number two in the title this one didn't leave you with some stupid cliffhanger. Instead it tied up all the loose ends, left no questions unanswered, and in my opinion represented the logical conclusion to the game's story regardless of which ending you got or how you played Cole as a character. inFamous 2 was one of my most favorite games from 2011 and I still find myself revisiting it from time to time.

That's my two cents, now it's your turn!

#2 Posted by TentPole (1858 posts) -

I loved the controversial ending to Enslaved.

#3 Posted by CountRockula (398 posts) -

I really liked the endings of the first two God of War games. I know the ending of 2 is a cliffhanger, which I'm typically not a fan of, but that cliffhanger is so awesome it kind of overcomes my inherent distaste for them.

#4 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19305 posts) -

Persona 3 FES had the best ending out of any video game I've played. Everything comes together so neatly during the ending sequence, the final boss isn't a disappointment and it even has a great denouement.

Ghost Trick's ending was insane and amazing, but suitably so as it all made sense given what was happening.

Pheonix Wright: Ace Attorney: Trials and Tribulations' ending was a great ending to the trilogy, taking into account what happened in the previous games and having them come together.

9 hours, 9 persons, 9 doors had an ending that's worse than the others I've mentioned, but it was unique, at least.

#5 Posted by Canteu (2821 posts) -

Nier. 100 times Nier.

#6 Posted by jakkblades (397 posts) -

Planescape Torment

#7 Posted by killacam (1284 posts) -

@TentPole said:

#8 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

Mafia.

#9 Posted by Little_Socrates (5675 posts) -

Metal Gear Solid 3 is probably still the king of the endings. All I will say on that.

I also really liked the endings to Journey, Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective, Saints Row: The Third, Bastion, Catherine, Batman: Arkham City, Deadly Premonition, Red Dead Redemption, Assassin's Creed II, Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood, LIMBO, Persona 4, Persona 3, Mass Effect, Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Portal, the endings to all the Half-Life 2 stuff, and God of War (since 2005.) Before that, I really haven't finished THAT many games with stories; I suppose I like the endings to Metal Gear Solid, Super Mario 64, The Ocarina of Time, and the "ending" of Missile Command.

#10 Posted by HarlechQuinn (444 posts) -

Journey...

#11 Posted by Atary77 (500 posts) -

@jakkblades said:

Planescape Torment

I totally need to go back to this game one. I already know how it ends, just it was so damn good!@TentPole said:

And I totally need to finish this game. Love me some Andy Sircus =)

#12 Posted by Hizang (8534 posts) -

Conkers Bad Fur Day had such a twist of and ending, such a shock considering what the rest of the game is like.

#13 Posted by Godlyawesomeguy (6385 posts) -

Darksiders, yo.

#14 Posted by GS_Dan (1401 posts) -

Wind Waker and MGS3 had great endings.

#15 Posted by Atary77 (500 posts) -

@Godlyawesomeguy said:

Darksiders, yo.

Oh Gawd yes! I think it's worth mentioning this is also one of my favorites. It just made you so pumped for the next game! Much like how Patrick felt when he mentioned it during a podcast. He had beaten the game recently and was feeling pretty stoked for the next game.

#16 Posted by DeF (4778 posts) -

@killacam said:

@TentPole said:

!

Also: Heavenly Sword! (Ninja Theory know what's up)

An older one would be Terranigma. Beautiful ending.

BioShock 2 also had a pretty satisfying ending, especially in terms of how it takes your actions into account in a more significant way than the first one.

As for inFamous 2, I only like the "good" ending. I thought the "evil" path in that game made no sense. (I finished the first game preferring the "evil" outcomes).

#17 Posted by babblinmule (1262 posts) -

Final Fantasy 13-2's ending is still pretty fresh in my mind - ending in that was pretty great.

#18 Posted by Ghostiet (5209 posts) -

Planescape: Torment, Nier, Mother 3, Red Dead Redemption... The inFAMOUS games also end on satisfying notes, even though they're too attached to a binary system of "good/bad".

#19 Posted by zyn (2591 posts) -

Final Fantasy X.

#20 Posted by Packie (255 posts) -

MGS 3, Metro 2033, Journey and Half-Life 2 Episode 2 were all bloody incredible.

#21 Posted by TheCreamFilling (1223 posts) -

Killzone 2's and Halo 3's endings would have been great if they never made Killzone 3 and Halo 4.

#22 Posted by Atary77 (500 posts) -

@Packie said:

MGS 3, Metro 2033, Journey and Half-Life 2 Episode 2 were all bloody incredible.

This is slowly turning into a list of games I need to finish. Metro 2033 has been sitting on my shelf for quite a bit and I've only gotten about... I'd say a quarter of the way through it before I got distracted with something else but I was certainly liking the story of it and I'll certainly have to finish it one of these days.

#23 Posted by YI_Orange (1124 posts) -

Most of them? I'm having a tougher time coming up with an ending I didn't like.

Maybe I'm just not too picky. I'm content to let myself enjoy things in the moment and in the context. Sure, some games are really dumb or the entire ending is one big "WTF?"(I'm looking at you Digital Devil Saga 2. Seriously, what the fuck. I dug into it and it's still weird and confusing). I also find it really easy to get into things so that probably helps.

#24 Posted by JasonR86 (9587 posts) -

Prince of Persia (2009)

Prince of Persia: Sands of Time

Red Dead Redemption

Journey

Flower

Braid

Limbo

Lunar 2 (mostly because of the Epilogue)

Saints Row the Third (both endings)

Halo Reach

Portal 1 and 2

These were the ones I could think of off the top of my head. There's probably more.

#25 Posted by Redbullet685 (6021 posts) -

Red Dead Redemption, Portal 2, MGS3 and Bioshock all come to mind.

#26 Posted by Atary77 (500 posts) -

@JasonR86: Ahh yes Lunar 2 was quite a nice little gem. After beating the game i just HAD to play through the Epilogue and thankfully I felt pretty satisfied with the ending. Certainly some good memories with that game.

#27 Edited by Yummylee (21208 posts) -

Besides the usual suspects (RDR, MGS3 ect.) EDIT: coincidence!!... The Usual Suspects has a great ending too.

• Resident Evil 2 B Scenario endings.
  • God of War 2
  • Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, primarily for the dialogue (''Borrowed it off a couple of pirates who were too dead to care'') and how it all tied up nicely.
  • Silent Hill 2 Dog & UFO Endings. The Mary ending is pretty touching as well.
  • Every Tekken ending.
  • The Saboteur.
  • GTAIV
  • Vice City
  • Saints Row 2. Both the default and the 'secret' Julius ending are fab.
  • Saints Row The Third.
  • Dragon Age: Origins
  • ect... because I'm sure there's others that I've really enjoyed, but have slipped my mind. Kinda speaks to how much I apparently enjoyed them, though :P
#28 Posted by TehFlan (1944 posts) -

I thought the ending to Skyward Sword was pretty good.

More importantly though, Conduit 2:

Seriously.

#29 Posted by FreakAche (2948 posts) -

I found Bastion's ending to be really satisfying.

#30 Posted by Ragnarok512 (160 posts) -

I really liked Bastion's ending.

#31 Posted by DeF (4778 posts) -

@JasonR86 said:

Prince of Persia (2009)

2008 you mean?

#32 Posted by believer258 (11565 posts) -

Halo 3's ending was pretty satisfying.

#33 Posted by Animasta (14638 posts) -

@YI_Orange said:

Most of them? I'm having a tougher time coming up with an ending I didn't like.

Maybe I'm just not too picky. I'm content to let myself enjoy things in the moment and in the context. Sure, some games are really dumb or the entire ending is one big "WTF?"(I'm looking at you Digital Devil Saga 2. Seriously, what the fuck. I dug into it and it's still weird and confusing). I also find it really easy to get into things so that probably helps.

DDS2 ending is great, because it's so ridiculous; fighting God is always fun, Seraph is amazing, fighting IN THE GODDAMN SUN

#34 Posted by JasonR86 (9587 posts) -

@DeF said:

@JasonR86 said:

Prince of Persia (2009)

2008 you mean?

...yes. I was feeling lazy and didn't want to look it up. I had a 1/10 shot in getting it right so I went for it.

#35 Posted by Atary77 (500 posts) -

@TehFlan: Ok wow, at first I had to look at a couple times before I realized who those dudes were. And I'm at a loss for words.

#36 Posted by TheKing (822 posts) -

Red Dead Redemption is the top of the top for me.

#37 Posted by Klei (1768 posts) -

@Atary77 Infamous 2 ended with a cliffhanger and unanswered questions. You didn't notice the lightning ''?'' right above the boat as it sailed off?

#38 Posted by Deathmachine117 (377 posts) -

Halo 3, Gears Of War 3, The Saboteurs I remember was weird.

And Black Ops for probably the funniest most bravado inducing ending ever. Seriously that ending was golden.

#39 Edited by pyromagnestir (4199 posts) -

Shadow of the Colossus. Don't remember Ico's ending but I'm sure it was fine. But Shadow's was fucking great.

and a bunch that have been mentioned already Braid, the Portal's, liked Enslaved, Half Life 2 episode 2, Metal Gear Solid 3, others I'm sure that I just can't think of.

Killer 7? I think.

#40 Posted by DeF (4778 posts) -

@JasonR86 said:

@DeF said:

@JasonR86 said:

Prince of Persia (2009)

2008 you mean?

...yes. I was feeling lazy and didn't want to look it up. I had a 1/10 shot in getting it right so I went for it.

BUSTED! :P

I keep reading bad things about the DLC which basically has a case of Azura's Wrath where it supposedly provides the "real ending"? Have you played that?

#41 Posted by ErisRon (98 posts) -

@TentPole said:

I don't how you got me, but you got me. I'm off to buy that game now.

#42 Posted by odintal (1095 posts) -

Arkham City

#43 Posted by StarvingGamer (7919 posts) -

Mass Effect 3

#44 Posted by Sparky_Buzzsaw (6043 posts) -

Final Fantasy X, Portal 1 & 2, Grim Fandango, but most of all... Full Throttle. Man, that ending was superb.

Moderator Online
#45 Posted by JasonR86 (9587 posts) -

@DeF said:

@JasonR86 said:

@DeF said:

@JasonR86 said:

Prince of Persia (2009)

2008 you mean?

I keep reading bad things about the DLC which basically has a case of Azura's Wrath where it supposedly provides the "real ending"? Have you played that?

I did and it wasn't great. The original ending ends mysteriously. The future is unclear and how the two main characters will proceed from the ending forward is as well. I think it was perfect. As long as I have enough to draw my own conclusions I'm happy with having information withheld. The Epilogue DLC takes away all that mystery and painstakingly explains everything and paints a picture for the sequel. It sucks. It takes everything that made the original ending great and squashes it.

#46 Edited by Atary77 (500 posts) -

@Klei said:

@Atary77 Infamous 2 ended with a cliffhanger and unanswered questions. You didn't notice the lightning ''?'' right above the boat as it sailed off?

I've heard about this some say it means something, others say that it's not a question mark but actually a cane that's a reference to Sly Cooper suggesting it was a bit of a wink from Sucker Punch making a new Sly Cooper game which they are currently doing. I've yet to see anything that really disproves it. But whether it's true or not I feel the ending is decent taking everything at face value.

#47 Posted by ErisRon (98 posts) -

Only recent games come to mind: Assassin's creed 1 and 2. I also believe that its current fiction is one of the best told sci-fi stories ever, super engrossing. Everytime you get to the ending in each game, the more you want the story to unfold. The ending gets me everytime, it's great!

#48 Posted by Atary77 (500 posts) -

@ErisRon: Personally I highly recommend it. Especially since it's super cheap right now.

#49 Posted by SpaceInsomniac (3535 posts) -

@JasonR86 said:

@DeF said:

@JasonR86 said:

@DeF said:

@JasonR86 said:

Prince of Persia (2009)

2008 you mean?

I did and it wasn't great. The original ending ends mysteriously. The future is unclear and how the two main characters will proceed from the ending forward is as well. I think it was perfect. As long as I have enough to draw my own conclusions I'm happy with having information withheld. The Epilogue DLC takes away all that mystery and painstakingly explains everything and paints a picture for the sequel. It sucks. It takes everything that made the original ending great and squashes it.

Agreed. That game's ending was brilliant in its design, and I never wanted to go anywhere near any DLC that changed it. Then they changed direction completely with the sequel, which is even better, because it essentially preserves the original ending forever.

But for me personally, I'd have to say Red Dead Redemption and Braid have the best endings I've seen this console generation.

#50 Posted by chrissedoff (2075 posts) -

Halo Reach had a great ending.