#1 Edited by Laksa (240 posts) -

Recently the videos here wont play if ad block is enabled. To get the videos to play, install peer block, enable it and block http. Then reload whatever page you are on by ctrl+f5. Works on firefox.

Edit:Many thanks to NicholasVH for the better fix below.

#2 Posted by NicolasVH (51 posts) -

Like I posted in an other thread:

The simpe solution would be, just download AdBlock. Which is fine and does the job diasbling the horrific yellow ad. However, the consequences are not being able to watch any video on the website. So the question is: how can you disable the ads, with the videoplayer working fine and not feel mandatory to subscribe? I tried some stuff and came to this solution which worked perfect for me.

1.) Click on the AdBlock icon on your browser

2.) Go to 'Options'

3.) Edit your filters manually

4.) Add the following lines:

@@||i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/Ads/common/manta/$domain=giantbomb.com
@@||mads.giantbomb.com$domain=giantbomb.com
@@||giantbomb.com/ads/$domain=giantbomb.com
@@||js.revsci.net/gateway/gw.js$domain=giantbomb.com
@@||vox-static.liverail.com$domain=giantbomb.com

5.) Save

Voila!

Hope this helps!

#3 Posted by believer258 (11663 posts) -

As long as you guys know that AdBlock keeps GiantBomb from getting revenue. In other words, money.

#4 Posted by zaglis (909 posts) -

Seriously. Don't be a fucking asshole and just disable adblock on Giatnbomb, it is like the only website on the Internet that has earned it.

#5 Posted by Laksa (240 posts) -

@NicolasVH: Thank you for the instructions.

#6 Posted by Dagbiker (6939 posts) -
@zaglis Yah disable adblock on giatbomb, and while your at it you might as well disable it for those jerks at giantbomb too.
#7 Posted by CptBedlam (4449 posts) -

@believer258: @zaglis: With extremely obnoxious ads like the one posted in the other thread, I don't fault anyone for using Ad-Block. I'm sure even Jeff, who asked us to turn off Ad-Block in the old days, would understand.

#8 Edited by believer258 (11663 posts) -

@CptBedlam said:

@believer258: @zaglis: With extremely obnoxious ads like the one posted in the other thread, I don't fault anyone for using Ad-Block. I'm sure even Jeff, who asked us to turn off Ad-Block in the old days, would understand.

Do you not get it? Money is required to run a website and the reason they're with CBS-I in the first place is because they didn't have enough of it before. They were running out. They were running out because they weren't bringing enough in.

Look, I'm sorry, but these huge ads are just necessary to keep a site like this running. It fucking sucks, but it's needed. It's a necessity. If you don't want to see the ads, then pay for a membership. If you don't want to do that or don't have the money to do that, then suffer the ads.

#9 Posted by alternate (2686 posts) -

Site like Neogaf ban anyone admitting to using an ad blocker. Just saying.

#10 Posted by Demoskinos (14574 posts) -

@believer258 said:

@CptBedlam said:

@believer258: @zaglis: With extremely obnoxious ads like the one posted in the other thread, I don't fault anyone for using Ad-Block. I'm sure even Jeff, who asked us to turn off Ad-Block in the old days, would understand.

Do you not get it? Money is required to run a website and the reason they're with CBS-I in the first place is because they didn't have enough of it before. They were running out. They were running out because they weren't bringing enough in.

Look, I'm sorry, but these huge ads are just necessary to keep a site like this running. It fucking sucks, but it's needed. It's a necessity. If you don't want to see the ads, then pay for a membership. If you don't want to do that or don't have the money to do that, then suffer the ads.

Pre-roll video ads is where they need to go. You can't block those.

#11 Posted by SJSchmidt93 (4886 posts) -

Or, you know, you could just fucking disable adblock.

#12 Posted by clapperdude (192 posts) -

@believer258 said:

@CptBedlam said:

@believer258: @zaglis: With extremely obnoxious ads like the one posted in the other thread, I don't fault anyone for using Ad-Block. I'm sure even Jeff, who asked us to turn off Ad-Block in the old days, would understand.

Do you not get it? Money is required to run a website and the reason they're with CBS-I in the first place is because they didn't have enough of it before. They were running out. They were running out because they weren't bringing enough in.

Look, I'm sorry, but these huge ads are just necessary to keep a site like this running. It fucking sucks, but it's needed. It's a necessity. If you don't want to see the ads, then pay for a membership. If you don't want to do that or don't have the money to do that, then suffer the ads.

Then they should make the ads worthwhile. When an engaging or funny ad comes on tv...I'll watch it. If its obnoxious...I'll mute or change the channel. Same thing can apply here. I don't use adblocker btw...but its not hard to understand why people do....and its certainly not wrong to do so.

#13 Posted by D_W (1129 posts) -

How about instead, you stop being a scum bag and disable adblock.

#14 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

I guess the general consensus is you're a scum bag/asshole if you use Ad-Block. Oh, well... I've been called far worse.

#15 Posted by Mushir (2389 posts) -

Some people say that using ad-block isn't bad since not everyone is using it. But then it's like saying "I can be a douche, since the rest of the world is nice."

#16 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4641 posts) -

@BraveToaster said:

I guess the general consensus is you're a scum bag/asshole if you use Ad-Block. Oh, well... I've been called far worse.

Don't worry, the obnoxious fucks can sit through intrusive ads while those of us with a clue can just skip straight to the videos.

#17 Edited by CaLe (3912 posts) -

Videos always play for me on any site even when I'm using adblock.

I've never once clicked on an ad or bought anything advertised on an ad, so the fact I don't see them is nothing but beneficial. I love my beautiful adblock and kiss him every night before bed. I also download the TV shows I like so I don't even see TV ads, it's great.

#18 Posted by Clonedzero (4091 posts) -

im running adblock and they play fine.

hostile GB community is hostile. stay classy giant bomb! stay classy!

#19 Posted by Th3_James (2576 posts) -

I use adblock. I'm fine with ads, I just hate the intrusive ones.

#20 Edited by Xymox (2069 posts) -

@believer258 said:

As long as you guys know that AdBlock keeps GiantBomb from getting revenue. In other words, money.

CBS Interactive Revenue 2009: US$602 million.

I think they'll be okay.

PS: Ads have been a shitstain on the net since banners in the 90's. Shit, I was one of the people adopting them. But in all honesty, only turds believe it's "the right thing to do" to watch ads while browsing the internet. Don't buy into that shit. Because it isn't if ads intrude on user experience, at which point you're just wasting my time.

Me, I was okay with the Halo site skin, thought it looked nice and would've actually liked a way to keep using that afterwards. But going outside of gaming for ads seems like an odd choice in their current situation.

#21 Posted by AngelN7 (2970 posts) -

I use adblock and I haven't had that problem at all ... wait let me put my balaclava on because I'm a scum thief!, I would like to know the number of people who actually click at those ads, seriously if that's how you people think then make the whole site premium only see how that goes...

#22 Posted by 49th (2692 posts) -

Videos play on the front page for me, but not if I click on the actual video page.

#23 Posted by falconpunch (177 posts) -

@Clonedzero said:

im running adblock and they play fine.

hostile GB community is hostile. stay classy giant bomb! stay classy!

agreed

#24 Posted by Jumanji (447 posts) -
@Xymox said:

@believer258 said:

As long as you guys know that AdBlock keeps GiantBomb from getting revenue. In other words, money.

CBS Interactive Revenue 2009: US$602 million.

I think they'll be okay.

i kno rite??? giantbomb is fucking swimming in cash rite now, these fuckin losers ar ejust gouging us on ads because they want more big bux from us, lol. lesley moonves and jeff gerstmann can suck all of my dicks, adblock 24/7/365
#25 Posted by Mrsignerman44 (1100 posts) -

Adblock all day errday!

#26 Posted by Xymox (2069 posts) -

@Jumanji said:

@Xymox said:

@believer258 said:

As long as you guys know that AdBlock keeps GiantBomb from getting revenue. In other words, money.

CBS Interactive Revenue 2009: US$602 million.

I think they'll be okay.

i kno rite??? giantbomb is fucking swimming in cash rite now, these fuckin losers ar ejust gouging us on ads because they want more big bux from us, lol. lesley moonves and jeff gerstmann can suck all of my dicks, adblock 24/7/365

I highly doubt they see much of that revenue, if any, but that's on CBS's table, not on GB. Their philosophy seems to be "acquire a bunch of sites and let them do their thing", which is cool and all... but if GB is in a state where it needs to put up random ads like this one? Practically everyone I see here is a subscriber. Perhaps they should hire an economics guy, like valve.

#27 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

I use AdBlock, you guys can get bent. If it makes you so mad then I just find that hilarious.

Yeah I'm a subscriber, but when this runs out AdBlock will stay on. I don't think any of the crew would find your name calling appropriate, they can fight their own battles if they look down on us AdBlockers.

#28 Posted by cloudnineboya (764 posts) -

my addblock for chrome works fine for vids? get some better filters .

#29 Edited by Xymox (2069 posts) -

@Sooty said:

I use AdBlock, you guys can get bent. If it makes you so mad then I just find that hilarious.

Yeah I'm a subscriber, but when this runs out AdBlock will stay on. I don't think any of the crew would find your name calling appropriate, they can fight their own battles if they look down on us AdBlockers.

The GB guys have since this site started always remained as "not jerks" towards it so I doubt it's some new tactic on their end, probably just some problem with the filtering.

And yeah, I'm in the same situation. I adblock the fuck out of the internet, because fuck those guys.

But I do subscribe to GB because I enjoy what they do and the content they bring.

#30 Posted by Jpnkrck (16 posts) -

This is such a whiny, first world problem.

#31 Posted by Draxyle (1793 posts) -

Are ads really that big of a problem to sit through? I'd gladly sacrifice 5 to 30 seconds of my time so that the GB crew actually gets payed for their work. They don't when you skip these things.

There's a reason TV became absolutely terrible after the advent of Tivo and similar devices. The same thing will happen (or is already happening) to the internet. I'm not a fan of product placements getting shoved into absolutely everything because we collectively couldn't handle a banner or a pre-roll video now and then.

#32 Posted by PufferFiz (1376 posts) -

Well I pay a monthly fee, and the videos still wont play....

#33 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4641 posts) -

@Jpnkrck said:

This is such a whiny, first world problem.

I don't know where you live, but most of us do, in fact, live in first world countries. Apart from the Americans.

#34 Edited by CL60 (16906 posts) -

Holy shit. What happened GiantBomb community? jesus fuck. Look in that thread about giant obnoxious ads. Filled with people yelling at the guy telling him to pay money or use adblock, now this topic comes up and everybody calls this guy a scumbag for using adblock.

#35 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

@Draxyle said:

Are ads really that big of a problem to sit through? I'd gladly sacrifice 5 to 30 seconds of my time so that the GB crew actually gets payed for their work. They don't when you skip these things.

There's a reason TV became absolutely terrible after the advent of Tivo and similar devices. The same thing will happen (or is already happening) to the internet. I'm not a fan of product placements getting shoved into absolutely everything because we collectively couldn't handle a banner or a pre-roll video now and then.

I will flat out not watch any video that's preceded by an ad. I'm happy to pay an additional fee to offset the cost but I'll close every video that spits an ad in my face. I shouldn't have to deal with it if there's an alternate solution available.

@GunslingerPanda said:

I don't know where you live, but most of us do, in fact, live in first world countries. Apart from the Americans.

As an American, I laughed.

#36 Posted by Viking_Funeral (1737 posts) -

But I'm a subscriber who shouldn't be getting ads anyway. Am I allowed to leave AdBlock on?

And yet, I'm still getting errors on the subscriber videos and am forced to use Chrome to watch them.

#37 Posted by JoeyRavn (4949 posts) -

@Paul_Is_Drunk said:

But I'm a subscriber who shouldn't be getting ads anyway. Am I allowed to leave AdBlock on?

As far as I can tell, you don't get ads if you're a subscriber. I disabled my adblocking extensions on Chrome and didn't see one ad in Giant Bomb. That could be because I'm in Europe and the ads like the Sprint one are targeted to Americans, though.

#38 Edited by Viking_Funeral (1737 posts) -

@JoeyRavn said:

@Paul_Is_Drunk said:

But I'm a subscriber who shouldn't be getting ads anyway. Am I allowed to leave AdBlock on?

As far as I can tell, you don't get ads if you're a subscriber. I disabled my adblocking extensions on Chrome and didn't see one ad in Giant Bomb. That could be because I'm in Europe and the ads like the Sprint one are targeted to Americans, though.

It was a joke about the people who claim that you need to leave AdBlock off for the sake of Giant Bomb.

EDIT: Doesn't change the weird errors I've been getting recently.

#39 Edited by JoeyRavn (4949 posts) -

@Paul_Is_Drunk: Oh, well. I guess the clarification doesn't bother anyone. Everyone can keep a calm mind if they are subscribers and use AdBlock :P I've never gotten any error with the video player, though, with or without AdBlock and with Chrome.

#40 Posted by AndrewB (7500 posts) -

@Dagbiker:

So many Giant Bomb clone sites...
#41 Posted by RazielCuts (2937 posts) -

@falconpunch said:

@Clonedzero said:

im running adblock and they play fine.

hostile GB community is hostile. stay classy giant bomb! stay classy!

agreed

Agreed what? Ask yourself, do you enjoy the content Giant Bomb provides? If the answer is yes then become 'classy' by disabling adblock to support the site. Easy enough.