Videos not playing with adblock on. Fix

Laksa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Laksa

Recently the videos here wont play if ad block is enabled. To get the videos to play, install peer block, enable it and block http. Then reload whatever page you are on by ctrl+f5. Works on firefox.

Edit:Many thanks to NicholasVH for the better fix below.

nicolasvh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By nicolasvh

Like I posted in an other thread:

The simpe solution would be, just download AdBlock. Which is fine and does the job diasbling the horrific yellow ad. However, the consequences are not being able to watch any video on the website. So the question is: how can you disable the ads, with the videoplayer working fine and not feel mandatory to subscribe? I tried some stuff and came to this solution which worked perfect for me.

1.) Click on the AdBlock icon on your browser

2.) Go to 'Options'

3.) Edit your filters manually

4.) Add the following lines:

@@||i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/Ads/common/manta/$domain=giantbomb.com
@@||mads.giantbomb.com$domain=giantbomb.com
@@||giantbomb.com/ads/$domain=giantbomb.com
@@||js.revsci.net/gateway/gw.js$domain=giantbomb.com
@@||vox-static.liverail.com$domain=giantbomb.com

5.) Save

Voila!

Hope this helps!

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By Justin258

As long as you guys know that AdBlock keeps GiantBomb from getting revenue. In other words, money.

zaglis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By zaglis

Seriously. Don't be a fucking asshole and just disable adblock on Giatnbomb, it is like the only website on the Internet that has earned it.

Laksa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Laksa

@NicolasVH: Thank you for the instructions.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#6  Edited By Dagbiker
@zaglis Yah disable adblock on giatbomb, and while your at it you might as well disable it for those jerks at giantbomb too.
CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By CptBedlam

@believer258: @zaglis: With extremely obnoxious ads like the one posted in the other thread, I don't fault anyone for using Ad-Block. I'm sure even Jeff, who asked us to turn off Ad-Block in the old days, would understand.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8  Edited By Justin258

@CptBedlam said:

@believer258: @zaglis: With extremely obnoxious ads like the one posted in the other thread, I don't fault anyone for using Ad-Block. I'm sure even Jeff, who asked us to turn off Ad-Block in the old days, would understand.

Do you not get it? Money is required to run a website and the reason they're with CBS-I in the first place is because they didn't have enough of it before. They were running out. They were running out because they weren't bringing enough in.

Look, I'm sorry, but these huge ads are just necessary to keep a site like this running. It fucking sucks, but it's needed. It's a necessity. If you don't want to see the ads, then pay for a membership. If you don't want to do that or don't have the money to do that, then suffer the ads.

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By alternate

Site like Neogaf ban anyone admitting to using an ad blocker. Just saying.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#10  Edited By musubi

@believer258 said:

@CptBedlam said:

Do you not get it? Money is required to run a website and the reason they're with CBS-I in the first place is because they didn't have enough of it before. They were running out. They were running out because they weren't bringing enough in.

Look, I'm sorry, but these huge ads are just necessary to keep a site like this running. It fucking sucks, but it's needed. It's a necessity. If you don't want to see the ads, then pay for a membership. If you don't want to do that or don't have the money to do that, then suffer the ads.

Pre-roll video ads is where they need to go. You can't block those.

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#11  Edited By sjschmidt93

Or, you know, you could just fucking disable adblock.

clapperdude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By clapperdude

@believer258 said:

@CptBedlam said:

Then they should make the ads worthwhile. When an engaging or funny ad comes on tv...I'll watch it. If its obnoxious...I'll mute or change the channel. Same thing can apply here. I don't use adblocker btw...but its not hard to understand why people do....and its certainly not wrong to do so.

D_W

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 21

#13  Edited By D_W

How about instead, you stop being a scum bag and disable adblock.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By BraveToaster

I guess the general consensus is you're a scum bag/asshole if you use Ad-Block. Oh, well... I've been called far worse.

Mushir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15  Edited By Mushir

Some people say that using ad-block isn't bad since not everyone is using it. But then it's like saying "I can be a douche, since the rest of the world is nice."

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By GunslingerPanda

@BraveToaster said:

I guess the general consensus is you're a scum bag/asshole if you use Ad-Block. Oh, well... I've been called far worse.

Don't worry, the obnoxious fucks can sit through intrusive ads while those of us with a clue can just skip straight to the videos.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Clonedzero

im running adblock and they play fine.

hostile GB community is hostile. stay classy giant bomb! stay classy!

Th3_James

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Th3_James

I use adblock. I'm fine with ads, I just hate the intrusive ones.

xymox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#20  Edited By xymox

@believer258 said:

As long as you guys know that AdBlock keeps GiantBomb from getting revenue. In other words, money.

CBS Interactive Revenue 2009: US$602 million.

I think they'll be okay.

PS: Ads have been a shitstain on the net since banners in the 90's. Shit, I was one of the people adopting them. But in all honesty, only turds believe it's "the right thing to do" to watch ads while browsing the internet. Don't buy into that shit. Because it isn't if ads intrude on user experience, at which point you're just wasting my time.

Me, I was okay with the Halo site skin, thought it looked nice and would've actually liked a way to keep using that afterwards. But going outside of gaming for ads seems like an odd choice in their current situation.

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By AngelN7

I use adblock and I haven't had that problem at all ... wait let me put my balaclava on because I'm a scum thief!, I would like to know the number of people who actually click at those ads, seriously if that's how you people think then make the whole site premium only see how that goes...

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#22  Edited By 49th

Videos play on the front page for me, but not if I click on the actual video page.

falconpunch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By falconpunch

@Clonedzero said:

agreed

Mrsignerman44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Mrsignerman44

Adblock all day errday!

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#27  Edited By Sooty

I use AdBlock, you guys can get bent. If it makes you so mad then I just find that hilarious.

Yeah I'm a subscriber, but when this runs out AdBlock will stay on. I don't think any of the crew would find your name calling appropriate, they can fight their own battles if they look down on us AdBlockers.

cloudnineboya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By cloudnineboya

my addblock for chrome works fine for vids? get some better filters .

xymox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#29  Edited By xymox

@Sooty said:

I use AdBlock, you guys can get bent. If it makes you so mad then I just find that hilarious.

Yeah I'm a subscriber, but when this runs out AdBlock will stay on. I don't think any of the crew would find your name calling appropriate, they can fight their own battles if they look down on us AdBlockers.

The GB guys have since this site started always remained as "not jerks" towards it so I doubt it's some new tactic on their end, probably just some problem with the filtering.

And yeah, I'm in the same situation. I adblock the fuck out of the internet, because fuck those guys.

But I do subscribe to GB because I enjoy what they do and the content they bring.

Jpnkrck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Jpnkrck

This is such a whiny, first world problem.

Draxyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#31  Edited By Draxyle

Are ads really that big of a problem to sit through? I'd gladly sacrifice 5 to 30 seconds of my time so that the GB crew actually gets payed for their work. They don't when you skip these things.

There's a reason TV became absolutely terrible after the advent of Tivo and similar devices. The same thing will happen (or is already happening) to the internet. I'm not a fan of product placements getting shoved into absolutely everything because we collectively couldn't handle a banner or a pre-roll video now and then.

PufferFiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#32  Edited By PufferFiz

Well I pay a monthly fee, and the videos still wont play....

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By GunslingerPanda

@Jpnkrck said:

This is such a whiny, first world problem.

I don't know where you live, but most of us do, in fact, live in first world countries. Apart from the Americans.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By CL60

Holy shit. What happened GiantBomb community? jesus fuck. Look in that thread about giant obnoxious ads. Filled with people yelling at the guy telling him to pay money or use adblock, now this topic comes up and everybody calls this guy a scumbag for using adblock.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Ravenlight

@Draxyle said:

Are ads really that big of a problem to sit through? I'd gladly sacrifice 5 to 30 seconds of my time so that the GB crew actually gets payed for their work. They don't when you skip these things.

There's a reason TV became absolutely terrible after the advent of Tivo and similar devices. The same thing will happen (or is already happening) to the internet. I'm not a fan of product placements getting shoved into absolutely everything because we collectively couldn't handle a banner or a pre-roll video now and then.

I will flat out not watch any video that's preceded by an ad. I'm happy to pay an additional fee to offset the cost but I'll close every video that spits an ad in my face. I shouldn't have to deal with it if there's an alternate solution available.

@GunslingerPanda said:

I don't know where you live, but most of us do, in fact, live in first world countries. Apart from the Americans.

As an American, I laughed.

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#36  Edited By viking_funeral

But I'm a subscriber who shouldn't be getting ads anyway. Am I allowed to leave AdBlock on?

And yet, I'm still getting errors on the subscriber videos and am forced to use Chrome to watch them.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By JoeyRavn

@Paul_Is_Drunk said:

But I'm a subscriber who shouldn't be getting ads anyway. Am I allowed to leave AdBlock on?

As far as I can tell, you don't get ads if you're a subscriber. I disabled my adblocking extensions on Chrome and didn't see one ad in Giant Bomb. That could be because I'm in Europe and the ads like the Sprint one are targeted to Americans, though.

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#38  Edited By viking_funeral

@JoeyRavn said:

@Paul_Is_Drunk said:

As far as I can tell, you don't get ads if you're a subscriber. I disabled my adblocking extensions on Chrome and didn't see one ad in Giant Bomb. That could be because I'm in Europe and the ads like the Sprint one are targeted to Americans, though.

It was a joke about the people who claim that you need to leave AdBlock off for the sake of Giant Bomb.

EDIT: Doesn't change the weird errors I've been getting recently.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By JoeyRavn

@Paul_Is_Drunk: Oh, well. I guess the clarification doesn't bother anyone. Everyone can keep a calm mind if they are subscribers and use AdBlock :P I've never gotten any error with the video player, though, with or without AdBlock and with Chrome.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#40  Edited By AndrewB

@Dagbiker:

So many Giant Bomb clone sites...
So many Giant Bomb clone sites...
RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By RazielCuts

@falconpunch said:

@Clonedzero said:

agreed

Agreed what? Ask yourself, do you enjoy the content Giant Bomb provides? If the answer is yes then become 'classy' by disabling adblock to support the site. Easy enough.