Vinny-Vision: How Vinny sees the Xbox One color scale.

• 74 results
saddlebrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By saddlebrown

Hey duders, I don't know if anybody else already did this, but I was just watching the Xbox One livestream archive on Twitch and I thought the part where @vinny was listing what each color looked like to him was pretty fascinating. I always love hearing about what stuff looks like to him and Jeff. So I thought it'd be fun to change the color scale according to the colors Vinny mentioned (yes, I totally had to look up what "ochre" looks like, haha).

No Caption Provided

Here's a larger still of how Vinny sees them:

No Caption Provided

And here's a larger still of the original for reference:

No Caption Provided

Nothing scientific, just a quick and dirty Photoshop. Just thought it'd be fun to see. Anyway, back to watching the livestream for me.

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I feel like looking at the comparisons too long is going to make me colourblind.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

Makes me wonder what he sees when he sees Mario and Luigi.

Kung_Fu_Viking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Kung_Fu_Viking

Now we need to do colour replacements on a variety of scenes using this colour palette as a guide and we will be able to see the world in Vinny-Vision.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By colourful_hippie

Vinn-Vision should be a VinnCo product.

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By artelinarose

Life would be way cooler if I viewed the world in neons like Vinny does.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want vinny vision

kadaju86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This just makes me curious what colors Vinny sees on the Vinny-Vision one :P

s-a-n-JR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#9  Edited By s-a-n-JR

There's a fascinating theory where essentially everybody sees colours differently. Colour doesn't actually exist in the outside world, it's created in our heads. Our brains convert the electromagnetic spectrum into colour. Basically, colour is an illusion. And since there's no way for anyone to observe what a colour looks like inside the mind of someone else, nor is anyone able to describe what a colour looks like to them, it's possible that my red is different from your red, for example.

We know for a fact that it's possible for people to see colours differently, such as with Jeff and Vinny. However, we can discuss the differences of their sight because people with their condition can't see things most of us can. But it's possible that there are ways of seeing colours differently without altering your performance in a colour blindness test.

E.g. Someone who sees this:

like this:

would still pass the test.

ViciousReiven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really want someone to take that color chart and create a photo filter out of it, I might do it myself if I can figure out a way.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sanj: That sounds really interesting actually. Never thought of it that way

s-a-n-JR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By s-a-n-JR

@azteck said:

@sanj: That sounds really interesting actually. Never thought of it that way

I know, right? It could explain why some people hate orange...I love orange.

Oh and I have to credit Vsauce. I paraphrased a chunk of what they said from their YouTube video on this topic

Loading Video...
Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I always find it really interesting when Vinny or Jeff start talking about colors. To me something that is very obvious, is so different for them.

Kovie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't speak with too much confidence, but from what I understand when Vinny called out red and orange, he was taking a somewhat educated guess. So the colors he called out aren't necessarily how he perceives them.

saddlebrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By saddlebrown

@sanj said:

There's a fascinating theory where essentially everybody sees colours differently. Colour doesn't actually exist in the outside world, it's created in our heads. Our brains convert the electromagnetic spectrum into colour. Basically, colour is an illusion. And since there's no way for anyone to observe what a colour looks like inside the mind of someone else, nor is anyone able to describe what a colour looks like to them, it's possible that my red is different from your red, for example.

Oh man, I always have such a tough time trying to explain that concept to people, but it's always this weird concept that's been on my mind. That's such a better way. I think about that a lot. We'd even be looking at your examples in totally different ways. Color and perception stuff is seriously so fascinating to me.

This is maybe weirder, but I've always liked trying to imagine a color I've never seen before. Like, if I asked you to do that right now, you'd probably just say that's dumb and impossible, but let's do a thought experiment: Imagine you've grown up in a controlled environment where I've kept red from you. You've seen every other color. So if I told you to imagine green or blue or yellow, you could totally do it. Like right now I'm just imagining grass, the sky, and a taxi for each respectively. But if I told you to imagine red, you wouldn't be able to do it because you've never seen red, right? It'd be totally insane for you to try and imagine that. No point of reference. But then I can just show you a stop sign or a traffic light or even the "Post Reply" button below, and it'd blow your mind.

So I'd just lie there in my bed, trying to imagine a color I've never seen before.

@kovie said:

I can't speak with too much confidence, but from what I understand when Vinny called out red and orange, he was taking a somewhat educated guess. So the colors he called out aren't necessarily how he perceives them.

Yeah, I was just ballparking and trying to just go with whatever words he used to describe them. I tried to keep colors the same if he basically got it or only make a subtle change. Like that one in the bottom-right he described as brown, so I just barely changed it to be a little more brown, and in the .gif it's almost impossible to tell I even changed it.

I think he was just trying to describe it and that's the closest word, so he might see it the same as you or I, but I just wanted to stick to whatever words he used. It won't be 100% accurate, but it's pretty interesting nonetheless.

chroipahtz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sanj: That theory always drives me nuts trying to wrap my head around it. Especially since it'll probably never be proven or disproven.

... Gah, I typed this ten minutes ago, then got lost in thought trying to conceive the implications again, haha.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

So what happens when Vinny looks at that image showing us what he sees?

We need to go deeper.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#19  Edited By Hailinel

@pr1mus said:

So what happens when Vinny looks at that image showing us what he sees?

We need to go deeper.

Vinception.

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@sanj: I really don't think that theory holds any water at all. Most people can agree which colours go with each other, which colours are more subtle and which ones are more garish, which colours represent certain emotions or thoughts. People who aren't colourblind see colours the exact same way, that's how their names came about.

Superkenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@ramone said:

@sanj: I really don't think that theory holds any water at all. Most people can agree which colours go with each other, which colours are more subtle and which ones are more garish, which colours represent certain emotions or thoughts. People who aren't colourblind see colours the exact same way, that's how their names came about.

Colors most widely considered "garish" have more to do with brightness and 'saturation level' (for a lack of a better word coming to me) than anything else, or whether the color combinations are inversions of each other and whatnot. All these things would be common truths even if the hues people saw differed.

Besides, I'd disagree that 'most people' agree on colors anyway. Favorite color is, like, the most subjective thing ever.

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superkenon: he wasn't talking about peoples favorite color. He said most ppl can agree which colors go next to each other in a chart or which colors represent happy and sad or other emotions.

Scrawnto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Scrawnto

Colorblindness is super weird. Unlike Jeff and Vinny, who have red-weak vision, I have green-weak vision. Just last night, I discovered that Maleficent from Sleeping Beauty had green skin, and it blew my mind. It's crazy how you can just not notice something like that for decades.

s-a-n-JR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By s-a-n-JR

@whatisdelicious: That's fascinating. It's crazy to think that there are actual colours that exist that our brains can't process. Humans have 3 colour-receptive cones; green, blue and red, which allow us to see those colours and all the colours derived from them. Butterflies, however, have 5 colour receptive cones, so they can see 2 additional colours. Madness!

Dark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@scrawnto said:

Colorblindness is super weird. Unlike Jeff and Vinny, who have red-weak vision, I have green-weak vision. Just last night, I discovered that Maleficent from Sleeping Beauty had green skin, and it blew my mind. It's crazy how you can just not notice something like that for decades.

Wait her skin is green? MY GOD my colorblindness ruins everything

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#26  Edited By tourgen

The variety and range of human vision is fairly amazing. I think most people don't really understand this because we only ever experience one vision "setting" for most of our lives (until your lenses slowly start to turn brown and deteriorate with age).

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dark said:

@scrawnto said:

There's a film happening and it looks t-e-r-r-i-b-l-e.

UpsideDownAce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pr1mus: I remember Jeff talking about looking at the color spectrum of people who are colorblind and people who have "normal" vision saying that the colorblind spectrum didn't look the same as the "normal" spectrum. He said the colorblind spectrum looked different than what he normally sees.

DeadpanCakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Reminds me of when they all took colorblindness tests in one UPF.

The situations that arise from Vinny and Jeff being colorblind never ceases to amuse me.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My gut is telling me this can be solved by a Vinnco Product of some sort.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

It is true, however, that pink does not actually exist, despite being one of the more prominent colors in human expression.

http://newsfeed.time.com/2012/03/07/does-the-color-pink-exist-scientists-arent-sure/

"I know, of course, that all colors are just waves of light, so every color we “see,” we see with our brains. But what

this video

says is that there is no such thing as a band of wavelengths that mix red and violet, and therefore, pink is not a real wavelength of light. That’s why pink is an invention. It’s not a name we give to something out there. Pink isn’t out there.

Read more:

Does the Color Pink Exist? Scientists Aren't Sure | TIME.com

http://newsfeed.time.com/2012/03/07/does-the-color-pink-exist-scientists-arent-sure/#ixzz2lWTKLGCU"

Scrawnto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nodima: I guess I'd say that it's not a pure color, but to say it doesn't exist might be overstating things. You can make the same arguments against white. White is equally a matter of perception, where all three types of our color receptors are being stimulated the right amount to seem equal. There are plenty of things that are inventions that exist. That said, anything that doesn't have the same color receptors as you (including a colorblind person like Jeff or Vinny) isn't going to see pink like you do, if at all.

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By joshwent

This is maybe weirder, but I've always liked trying to imagine a color I've never seen before. Like, if I asked you to do that right now, you'd probably just say that's dumb and impossible, but let's do a thought experiment: Imagine you've grown up in a controlled environment where I've kept red from you. You've seen every other color. So if I told you to imagine green or blue or yellow, you could totally do it. Like right now I'm just imagining grass, the sky, and a taxi for each respectively. But if I told you to imagine red, you wouldn't be able to do it because you've never seen red, right? It'd be totally insane for you to try and imagine that. No point of reference. But then I can just show you a stop sign or a traffic light or even the "Post Reply" button below, and it'd blow your mind.

Potentially stranger still is whole societies that grouped colors we now perceive to be separate, into one word.

Loading Video...

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Life would be way cooler if I viewed the world in neons like Vinny does.

His whole life is Vice City and Hotline Miami. I'm gonna buy Vinny a pastel and ice cream suit for Christmas.

TrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By TrafalgarLaw

If you really want to go down a rabbit hole, you should read up on synesthesia. It's a kinda of a short-circuit in your neuronal networks that connect two unrelated perceptions/senses to each other. Like feeling a color when hearing an audio cue, like a (door)bell. Or assigning a color to each individual numbers. Both my sibling have it, I feel left out :(

noblenerf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@whatisdelicious: Roughly what part of the livestream did "Vinny-vision" ocurr in?

Reminds me of when they all took colorblindness tests in one UPF.

The situations that arise from Vinny and Jeff being colorblind never ceases to amuse me.

That and the sound frequency test were really neat parts of UPF. I think it happened in a May broadcast.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

Gray is like teal? Wow.

EchoEcho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I took a color blindness test a while back, prompted by the guys taking one during a livestream. At the end of the test, after determining the type of color blindness I actually suffer from, it presented two images of the exact same scene, and which -- to me, at least -- looked perfectly identical. Then my girlfriend walked over and pointed out each and every color difference between the two images (which to her were super obvious). Turns out, there was hardly anything in the second image that was the same color as its counterpart in the first image. It was kind of depressing.

saddlebrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By saddlebrown

@noblenerf: It was within the first few minutes of the stream, right after loading up Jeff's menu for the first time. Here's a link to the start of the color discussion.

Also, yeah, sound frequency tests are crazy too. I bought a plasma TV earlier this year that gave off this awful ringing noise the moment it turned on, but only I could hear it. My roommate and my friends that I brought over to listen all thought I was just crazy, so I made us take a sound frequency test and it just turns out that they can't hear nearly as high of frequencies as me. It's super weird when I'd turn on the TV or play the higher frequency noises and I'd hear it clear as day and they wouldn't react at all. But so I had to send the TV back and swap it out for an LCD TV that didn't hurt my ears.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

@sanj said:

I have never read about that theory, but always wondered if that was a thing!

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@echoecho: Now, I'm curious as to what color test you took. Can you perhaps still recall what it is and link it or just mention the title? :D

EchoEcho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By EchoEcho
von_wemberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kadaju86: Yeah, that's what I want to know now as well...

noblenerf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@whatisdelicious: Thanks for the link! Some of what Patrick and Brad said makes me think they have their own versions of Vinny-vision...

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

@dark said:

@scrawnto said:

What color did you think her skin was?

Anyway, I've long since wondered if I would trade my not-great vision for colorblind vision with a lot of clarity. Do far away things actually appear clear to people? Can you make out faces from across a big room? I can see vibrant colors perfectly, and I have no problem determining what objects far away are doing. I just can't make out detail from far away.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

You also have to take into account not only what Vinny sees, but also his inability to actually know what some of the words he was using meant. That makes Vinny's Color wheel a semantic argument as well. When he said Mauve does he really know what color that is supposed to be?

Scrawnto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dark said:

@scrawnto said:

What color did you think her skin was?

Anyway, I've long since wondered if I would trade my not-great vision for colorblind vision with a lot of clarity. Do far away things actually appear clear to people? Can you make out faces from across a big room? I can see vibrant colors perfectly, and I have no problem determining what objects far away are doing. I just can't make out detail from far away.

It pretty much looks like normal skin color to me. For that matter, I still don't know whether someone "looking a little green" when they're ill is a figure of speech or an actual description of color.

Also, as a person with not-great vision and colorblindness, I would totally take the normal color vision. At least I can wear glasses for the other problem.

Scrawnto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You also have to take into account not only what Vinny sees, but also his inability to actually know what some of the words he was using meant. That makes Vinny's Color wheel a semantic argument as well. When he said Mauve does he really know what color that is supposed to be?

Mauve, magenta, fuchsia, and maroon all might as well be made up words, as far as I'm concerned.

Jagman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Jagman

@sanj: Isn't the theory that people may perceive different colors as (for example) red or green bunk because the rods and cones in our eyes respond to specific wavelengths of colors? Since a specific shade of red has a specific wavelength, that red is the same for every eye that has functioning rods and cones.