Vinny-Vision: How Vinny sees the Xbox One color scale.

• 74 results
Strangestories

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Strangestories

As someone who also has red-green colorblindness I'm not quite sure what I'm supposed to be seeing here. Should the original and vinny look the same to me? Because they don't.

LackingSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#52  Edited By LackingSaint

@strangestories said:

As someone who also has red-green colorblindness I'm not quite sure what I'm supposed to be seeing here. Should the original and vinny look the same to me? Because they don't.

I remember in a Sim City Quick Look, Jeff and Vinny turned on color-blind mode and pointed out that simulations of colorblindness never look right to them. Is that not also the case for you?

Dark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@strangestories: They overblow the actual effect of the colorblindness to show people who can actually see correctly what it may indeed look like if they had colorblindness, if you ARE colorblind it will look the same as it does for everyone else, its not a test just an example for people who can't comprehend what it would look like.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#54  Edited By fattony12000

Do you think that's air you're breathing now?

saddlebrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#56  Edited By saddlebrown

You also have to take into account not only what Vinny sees, but also his inability to actually know what some of the words he was using meant. That makes Vinny's Color wheel a semantic argument as well. When he said Mauve does he really know what color that is supposed to be?

Oh shit. Man. Good point. Mind blown again. I love perception. I knew I couldn't trust Vinny when he said ochre.

saddlebrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Clarity is probably more useful than color, but there's more of a cure for clarity. For instance, I had glasses for a long time, but a few years ago, I got Lasik eye surgery. There's not much of an option for colorblind people yet beyond those crazy glasses that Jeff was trying out for a while.

coughlanio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By coughlanio

Anyone got a timestamp for this? Missed the original stream :(

Strangestories

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Strangestories

@lackingsaint said:

@strangestories said:

I remember in a Sim City Quick Look, Jeff and Vinny turned on color-blind mode and pointed out that simulations of colorblindness never look right to them. Is that not also the case for you?

Yeah, simulations of colorblindness never look right to me but they're probably not made to be seen by me.

Yellows sometimes look like oranges, greens and reds are only sometimes distinguishable because reds are usually darker than greens (but not always), I can't for the life of me tell the differences between blues and purples if the purple isn't extremely rich, and pink can sometimes look like a very light green.

I have a rarer version of red-green colorblindness which Vinny and Jeff might not have so it's possible I see colors differently from them as well.

caska

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By caska

I'm colour blind as well and the biggest thing for me is wondering what the world 'actually' looks like. I'm good with say the easy and distinct colours like like red, orange, yellow, green, blue but whenever shit goes between those colours (and after into indigo and violet) shit gets real sketchy and I can't trust myself if I try to name the colour...

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

all i can say is i love patrick's exasperated expression in that still :D

Avatar image for manhattan_project
manhattan_project

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@joshwent said:

@whatisdelicious said:

This is maybe weirder, but I've always liked trying to imagine a color I've never seen before. Like, if I asked you to do that right now, you'd probably just say that's dumb and impossible, but let's do a thought experiment: Imagine you've grown up in a controlled environment where I've kept red from you. You've seen every other color. So if I told you to imagine green or blue or yellow, you could totally do it. Like right now I'm just imagining grass, the sky, and a taxi for each respectively. But if I told you to imagine red, you wouldn't be able to do it because you've never seen red, right? It'd be totally insane for you to try and imagine that. No point of reference. But then I can just show you a stop sign or a traffic light or even the "Post Reply" button below, and it'd blow your mind.

Potentially stranger still is whole societies that grouped colors we now perceive to be separate, into one word.

Loading Video...

This Radiolab episode deals with this kind of thing. Some weird shit. Especially about the color blue.

The full episode.

benpicko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sanj said:

There's a fascinating theory where essentially everybody sees colours differently. Colour doesn't actually exist in the outside world, it's created in our heads. Our brains convert the electromagnetic spectrum into colour. Basically, colour is an illusion. And since there's no way for anyone to observe what a colour looks like inside the mind of someone else, nor is anyone able to describe what a colour looks like to them, it's possible that my red is different from your red, for example.

We know for a fact that it's possible for people to see colours differently, such as with Jeff and Vinny. However, we can discuss the differences of their sight because people with their condition can't see things most of us can. But it's possible that there are ways of seeing colours differently without altering your performance in a colour blindness test.

E.g. Someone who sees this:

like this:

would still pass the test.

Yeah I've thought that loads of times but everybody calls me insane whenever I say anything like that

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#64  Edited By RonGalaxy

How do color blind people even function in society? And how do they even know what a color looks like if they see colors incorrectly. When they say "that looks orange to me", how the FUCK do they know what orange looks like? This thought scares me

Strangestories

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Strangestories

@naru_joe93:

We don't see all colors incorrectly, just some of them. If I don't trust myself to know what a color is I ask someone else. I know my limitations and accommodate for them.

I know what orange is, I know what pink is, I know what green and red are even if I get them mixed up most of the time, I know what yellow is. You need to take into account all the hues and shades colors have. There are so many different types of reds, greens, blues, purples, etc.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#66  Edited By RonGalaxy

@strangestories said:

@naru_joe93: We don't see all colors incorrectly, just some of them. If I don't trust myself to know what a color is I ask someone else. I know my limitations and accommodate for them.

Okay, so you use the colors you can see correctly and people who aren't colorblind to fill in the blanks. That makes sense

cthomer5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How do color blind people even function in society? And how do they even know what a color looks like if they see colors incorrectly. When they say "that looks orange to me", how the FUCK do they know what orange looks like? This thought scares me

It's all based on repetition, isn't it? You just assign a name to something that looks a particular shade to you, you see it enough, and you can name it. Even if Vinny's "orange" looks (to him) as khaki would look to me he can at least identify it.

I'm generally interested in colorbindness though, it just seems like they are working with some weird pallette swapped version of the world, where everything is compressed to the point that even some majorly different colors look really close to them. It's impossible to imagine for me, especially when some of the colors in questions are so totally unique in my personal spectrum (red, green) that it's mindblowing for me to imagine them being really close (like navy blue and black, for example).

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Yeah, another guy here with red-green colorblind deficiency, but it's weird that it doesn't seem to affect me all that much in real life and rarely is it an issue with video games. I'm not sure if I have my deficiency is a milder case than some or if I've adapted to the condition, but I'm still able to function normally. The only difference is that my greens are muted. I can play games that rely heavily on color with little or no issues.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

I hope someone develops a way for people to see the opposite of what they have some day. I think it would be a mind blowing experience to see the world in different colours. I have always loved the theory that we all actually love the same colour, but no one really sees the world in the same colours so as a result we all have different names for it.

saddlebrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope someone develops a way for people to see the opposite of what they have some day. I think it would be a mind blowing experience to see the world in different colours. I have always loved the theory that we all actually love the same colour, but no one really sees the world in the same colours so as a result we all have different names for it.

Probably wouldn't be that tough what with Oculus Rift VR-type stuff. You mount a camera on the front of the Rift, have it invert the colors or whatever, then pipe it into your view. Not perfect, but could be done today.

Avatar image for counterclockwork87
Counterclockwork87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@benpicko said:

@sanj said:

There's a fascinating theory where essentially everybody sees colours differently. Colour doesn't actually exist in the outside world, it's created in our heads. Our brains convert the electromagnetic spectrum into colour. Basically, colour is an illusion. And since there's no way for anyone to observe what a colour looks like inside the mind of someone else, nor is anyone able to describe what a colour looks like to them, it's possible that my red is different from your red, for example.

We know for a fact that it's possible for people to see colours differently, such as with Jeff and Vinny. However, we can discuss the differences of their sight because people with their condition can't see things most of us can. But it's possible that there are ways of seeing colours differently without altering your performance in a colour blindness test.

E.g. Someone who sees this:

like this:

would still pass the test.

Yeah I've thought that loads of times but everybody calls me insane whenever I say anything like that

It's an interesting theory but I don't think it's really true. Sure, everyone probably sees color a bit differently (even my right eye sees a bit more green than my left) but overall I believe the non-color blind world sees things mostly the same way. Their's just too much that everyone agrees on for us to be all that different. No colors would ever match if this was the case because if someone designed something it would be to their own colors and not someone else's and along the lines things just wouldn't look right.

And saying that some people prefer some colors to others is a bad example because that is just personal preference. If I take one woman and two men and ask the men if they think the woman is attractive I will likely get two different answers and it will have nothing to do with any actual physical difference they perceive. She looks the same but to one they find certain features more pleasing than others.

Scrawnto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I finally actually watched the segment in question, and all the names that Vinny gave for the colors actually did make sense to me, although I think Vinny meant Maroon when he said Mauve or "Muave". The screenshot and the adjusted screenshot in the first post are still clearly different to me though.

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By development

I feel like what he sees is much more akin to monochrome or duochrome, with a certain color's slant. Like, everything a shade of blue or red, and all the shades you get from mixing them.

Avatar image for smileyforall220
smileyforall220

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Interesting theory mate. Objects that look a certain color, look that way to a "regular" eye because the object itself reflects color wavelengths other than the one it "looks". Its based on the cone cells that are located in the retina that take the data reflected off the objects and transmit that to the brain. Primates(including humans) are the only mammals that have the ability to "view" color, developed as an evolutionary trait. One theory is that color was used as a way to subtly notice coloration in cheeks, or to see "healthy skin" for finding a better mate. Something thats interesting to me would be, what would our eyes look like with 4x the resolution than we can percieve right now. Talk about cyborgs in the future with eye enhancements.