vita or vita2000

GiboAuja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I have been heavily considering getting a vita, but im not sure if i should wait.

i have a daily comute totaling 3 hours so the newer ones battery life is huge.

On the other hand i can purchase a current version for 200 that comes with the walking dead and a 4 gig card.

Im super tempted to pick it up now, beacuse i have been having big rpg kick and the ff games are on sale. plus the current ps plus game is pretty great.

I know the screen quality is a little lower but thats not an huge issue for me. All though i have not compared them side by side.

i dont own any recent playstation consoles, there recent pro consumer behavior really encouraged me to take the jump.

So what does everything think vita fat or vita slim

psylah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I think the battery life is the basis to buy upon, definitely.

Go for the 2000, make sure you can play it all day.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By bigjeffrey

OLED 4 LYFE

irrelevantjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

I think battery life is more important for you considering you said 3 hours of commuting. So get the 2000 version.

egg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

2000 has bigger grips underneath and smaller rear touchpad. so it is the better model assuming you like being able to hold the system.

the other big reason 2000 is better is you can charge it using any micro USB cable

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

That lcd screen looks pretty shitty up against the oled though. My recommendation is for the original model.

strainedeyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, based on how I play it (power is never that far away) I would take a better screen over longer battery.

MormonWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 21

The OLED has a tendency to have screen burn-in. I had a white one for a while and it had little annoying spots that showed up every time the screen went black in transition. I'm not convinced it's that great of a screen, honestly, but what do I know? That new one looks like something I'd prefer totally.

I actually didn't like the Vita much in the month or two that I had it. Some of the games are good, but I just don't dig the feel of the hardware or the interface. I love the 3DS but I just wish they had better screens/quality build materials because the 3DS XL feels slightly cheap.

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aviar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I thought the battery difference was only like one hour. Once you get to your destination, you could always recharge the Vita for the trip home although the original Vita definitely has more than 3 hours of life in it.

I have the original Vita and the screen is outstanding. I'm very glad I didn't get the vita 2000 mainly due to the lcd display. The 1gb of built in ram into the Vita2000 isn't really all that helpful either. I'm hoping this week to order one of the Japanese 64gb memory cards as the 4gb card mine came with isn't enough for what I want to install on it.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

The one with the OLED screen.

Also, the battery will last longer if you then it on Airplane mode. Only use Wi-Fi when you need it.

GiboAuja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By GiboAuja

I'm more conflicted than ever. All though i have a much better idea. Im running out of 3ds games though.

I think I may go for the 2000. My 3ds xl often just hits red when i get home. im assuming the origanal vita does not last as long as the 3DSXL.

... but i want to play portable spelunky... really really badly and theres no us release date yet for the vita 2000... gahhhhhhhhhhhh damnit sony :S

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By LiquidPrince

As someone who owns both versions, and is a huge fan of OLED screens, I can tell you that the OLED screen missing in the 2000 is not a big deal. The LCD screen is gorgeous as well, with really good color reproduction. The awesome form factor and bigger battery are just good bonus's on top of that.

NinjaPartTime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By NinjaPartTime

My 3DS XL's battery is dead a lot more often than my Vita battery is and I play the 3DS much less.The standby on my 3DS XL is terrible. The original Vita is about 5-6 hours but I've played it for a couple of hours and then put it away in standby for a few days and I'm still able to play it for another hour or two before needing to charge it. It's always online, too.

The only real problem with the original Vita is the OLED having spots on it. It's only apparent if you're playing a game that is really dark while in the dark, like Lone Survivor. Even then, it's only really noticeable during a black loading screen. There is also the issue with accidentally hitting the rear touchpad when holding it but that's not really an issue except for one game I've played. I think it was Terraria and the problem was the rear touchpad can't be disabled in options. I only played the demo, though, so I don't know if that has changed or not.

mclargepants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

@mormonwarrior: That's not burn in as I understanding, more of a common problem with OLEDs in general, and nothing to do with image retention. Mine has that too, and while not distracting during gameplay, it is annoying.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@giboauja: The battery on the vita lasts quite a bit longer than the XL. The new Vita is an attempt by Sony to make more money by releasing a Vita that is cheaper to make and it does feel cheap.

You should also know that a 16gb memory card is almost a minimum. There are games that won't even fit on the 4gb card.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigjeffrey said:

OLED 4 LYFE

Cannot stress how much better this screen looks compared to any other screen I own, it's amazing.

Don't have battery life problems either so I can't really recommend not getting a Vita Phat

xinek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By xinek

I find the proprietary charger for my phat Vita is pretty aggravating. It would be nice to be able to use a nice standard micro USB charger. That and the 1GB onboard memory almost makes me want to get the 2000. And the color choices are nice. But, the OLED screen on the phat is just too good. I'll probably never get rid of mine until it dies.

maginnovision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By maginnovision

I have 2 3g vitas, so I'd have to say get one of those? Haven't even seen or used a 2000, but I heard they feel cheaper and have screens that look slightly less nice. Not a big deal. One of my vitas is a PSO vita only, that's why I have 2.

Optix12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Optix12

I am very very tempted to buy an OLED bundle right now just to keep it to sell it on later for a larger price. Ive got an original Vita which was preowned and it works pretty damn great. the 3 hours journey is fine if you are able to charge it during work (like I do). Also as a side note, 6 hours of vita for 5/7 days is gonna get incredibly boring/annoying so pack a book to read or make sure there is a second activity to do. I do a 2 hour journey to work and back and can easily spend 2 days without charging with the current model ( still trying to work on Persona4)

Miyuki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 14

#21  Edited By Miyuki

I have a Vita 2000. The screen is really nice, I have no complaints at all (certainly it is better than the 3ds screen, and it also compares well to my Iphone 5.) It's lightweight and has great battery life, and it charges with a standard charger. I've not owned an original Vita, but I am happy with mine.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The OLED has a tendency to have screen burn-in. I had a white one for a while and it had little annoying spots that showed up every time the screen went black in transition. I'm not convinced it's that great of a screen, honestly, but what do I know? That new one looks like something I'd prefer totally.

I actually didn't like the Vita much in the month or two that I had it. Some of the games are good, but I just don't dig the feel of the hardware or the interface. I love the 3DS but I just wish they had better screens/quality build materials because the 3DS XL feels slightly cheap.

That's called the OLED mura effect. Affects a lot of OLED screens, from my understanding. My vita has it and I only notice it when the screen goes black and the room I am in is low lit or dark. I don't mind it though, because the screens color vibrancy, and almost perfect contrast is hard to beat. I prefer if over my nexus 7 screen, which is way more pixel dense. Its definitely better than the, seemingly, washed out LCD on the new vita model.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#23  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

There are reasons to go for the Vita 2000 for sure, but has anybody really ever had any problems with the battery life of the original Vita? I've never run out of batteries on mine, got close once, after a pretty lengthy Killzone Mercenaries session online (about 5 hours or so, but didn't quite play non-stop). If you don't need to have wi-fi enabled, I'm sure it'll last longer.

MormonWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 21

#24  Edited By MormonWarrior

@mormonwarrior said:

That's called the OLED mura effect. Affects a lot of OLED screens, from my understanding. My vita has it and I only notice it when the screen goes black and the room I am in is low lit or dark. I don't mind it though, because the screens color vibrancy, and almost perfect contrast is hard to beat. I prefer if over my nexus 7 screen, which is way more pixel dense. Its definitely better than the, seemingly, washed out LCD on the new vita model.

I stand corrected! It still bugged me a lot in Persona 4 though.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

I thought I read that the screen and image is much better in the original Vita.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By RonGalaxy

@sammo21 said:

I thought I read that the screen and image is much better in the original Vita.

I havent used a new vita for myself, but going by comparisons (and my knowledge of OLED vs LCD) leads me to believe that the old screen is, indeed, superior. I can say that with some affirmation.

Haruko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Fuck the new screen holy shit it looks like hot garbage compared to the original. The color depth is awful as is the contrast while the battery life is a plus it is NOT worth the downgrade in picture.

wackojackman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I got my hands on the new model and to me it feels really cheap, combined with the LCD screen that was a deal breaker. So I hope to pick up the original model at some point before it vanishes from shops, any ideas when that might be? The original model is bundled pretty nicely here in Japan too; costing ¥24,000 for the vita, 32gb memory card (and a screen protector and some golf game... meh)

Though battery life is a bigger issue for others than myself. I tend to prefer owning more aesthetically pleasing devices and the original model looks (in some parts) like a nice solid machine and the new one feels very plasticy.

egg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#30  Edited By egg

Vita 2k on top versus Vita 1k on bottom

No Caption Provided

When playing LBP demo at best buy a green dot appears on screen where you're touching the rear touchpad. The green dot is there whether you meant for it or were just holding the system the way you always would.

PSP didn't have grips, Vita seemingly has them specifically so you dont touch the rear touchpad. Evidently 2k gives you more room to hold the system without cramping your fingers. And you're less likely to press rear touch on accident.

Below is an approximation of how much of a Vita 1k you're allowed to hold, compared to a PSP:

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Vita 2k feels cheap? People said the same of the slim PSP...

Screen is worse than OLED? Probably yea... but I'm guessing it is still leagues ahead of the 3DS/XL screen.