Wait, Echochrome Is Getting A Sequel?

Brad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Edited By Brad
Show of hands: Who here had the tenacity and mental acumen to stick it out through all (or even most? any?) of Echochrome's mindbending block of puzzles? Not me. The game looked delightful in concept, but it was a little too abstract and unwieldy for me to actually puzzle my way through. When I want to feel inadequate, I've got Professor Layton, thank you very much.

Nevertheless, Echochrome is getting a new and perhaps more grounded sequel, Echochrono. You may have already seen this, but you'll forgive me for missing its existence amidst all the Gods of War and Uncharteds and PixelJunks Sony had on offer at E3 this year. Here's a trailer to give you an idea of the direction this sequel is going on both the PSP and PlayStation Network.

The good: This looks more focused and perhaps consequently more approachable than the last game. The bad: Shadow Tim was my least favorite (read: the hardest) part of Braid, and that specific mechanic looks like it makes up a good percentage of this one. I believe some diehard brain-training may be in order before Echochrono rolls out this Fall.

Brad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Brad
Show of hands: Who here had the tenacity and mental acumen to stick it out through all (or even most? any?) of Echochrome's mindbending block of puzzles? Not me. The game looked delightful in concept, but it was a little too abstract and unwieldy for me to actually puzzle my way through. When I want to feel inadequate, I've got Professor Layton, thank you very much.

Nevertheless, Echochrome is getting a new and perhaps more grounded sequel, Echochrono. You may have already seen this, but you'll forgive me for missing its existence amidst all the Gods of War and Uncharteds and PixelJunks Sony had on offer at E3 this year. Here's a trailer to give you an idea of the direction this sequel is going on both the PSP and PlayStation Network.

The good: This looks more focused and perhaps consequently more approachable than the last game. The bad: Shadow Tim was my least favorite (read: the hardest) part of Braid, and that specific mechanic looks like it makes up a good percentage of this one. I believe some diehard brain-training may be in order before Echochrono rolls out this Fall.

AndrewJD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By AndrewJD

Say What!

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Pie

Wheres my goshdarn free map pack bradster?

Peach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Peach

Cool Maybe  a reason to get a PSP :)

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#5  Edited By oldschool
@Peach said:
" Cool Maybe  a reason to get a PSP :) "
Needs a better reason than that.  Gran Turismo or LittleBigPlanet maybe.
mawryk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By mawryk

Dude, that game looks like it would blow up what few brain cells I have left!

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By RHCPfan24

Echochrome seemed very unique, and this is in color!

Any mention of Professor Layton is also appreciated, Brad. That is one damn good game, sir.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#8  Edited By ArbitraryWater

I had enough trouble with Braid, thank you. I don't need another puzzle game to make me feel stupid.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By LiquidPrince

Love Layton. 200 Picarats please.

Scieran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By Scieran

So let me get this straight. A game comes out and someone has to write about it which is alright but they have to spice it up alittle with "wait, it's getting a sequel?" which it pretty much gives the idea/impression that this wasn't expected and it may potentially lead gamers with limited-vocabulary into buying it because it seems.. fascinating to own a game that is... unexpected.

FuzzYLemoN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By FuzzYLemoN

Aw geez, this looks brain-meltingly mind boggling... I'd either be inconceivably frustrated or impressed to no end.

Grumbel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 99

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By Grumbel

Where did the Esher'ish 3D stuff go? This looks completly 2D and pretty ugly at that too, as without 3d, there doesn't seem to be a point in keeping everything so mundane.

Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13  Edited By Ineedaname

Guessing the makers of that played Braid.

kwyee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By kwyee

wow, this was totally below my radar.

I didnt like the first echochrome mainly b/c of UI issues; it was hard to get the planes to line up exactly .. I spent most of my time tweaking the perspective ever so slightly since the snap range for planes to line up was tiny. and there wasn't much feedback as to why or whether you even could make planes line up.

Hopefully echochrono will play better since the perspective-fiddling won't be an issue here.
bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15  Edited By bacongames

I would love for a EchoChrome game to be mixed with Metal Gear Solid type mechanics where you have to use puzzle smarts to straight snap fools as that blank model.

rateoforange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By rateoforange
@Ineedaname: Yeah. Then they forgot the bit about Braid's awesome art style. The original Echochrome wasn't much to look at, but this is a little ugly.
namestolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By namestolen

Looks like Exit meets Braid

JackiJinx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

#18  Edited By JackiJinx

Hell. No. I am not a fan of Braid, and there's no way that I'd play this. Shadow echo? No. Shadow echos? BURN, CHROME BOY, BURN!

cms64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By cms64

It's ironic that Echochrome is the one without color.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By TwoOneFive

Woah, that was mind blowing, he had to do multiple tasks in the same screen and then make them loop all together. wow. 

The only thing I didn't like about the original was the bad music, it sounded like the ps3 startup sound never ended. 

I didn't see any use of perception going on, no optical illusions ya kno?
Still, looks a lot more fun than the last and i like the colors! that was clearly a PSP trailer because it didn't look so sharp, i want to see the PSN version. 
Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By Death_Unicorn

It looks like Braid without the art style, and without the meaningful story. Weeee.

Avatar image for disabilityfishy
DisAbiLityFisHy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By DisAbiLityFisHy

Mind. 'sploded. just now.

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By End_Boss

Thank you, Echocrome. My mind hadn't been thoroughly blown up in a while.

delicious_lie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By delicious_lie

shadow tim was my least favourite part of braid too. if it weren't for that world, i would easily get the speedrun achievement.

coffeesash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By coffeesash
@Death_Unicorn said:
" It looks like Braid without the art style, and without the meaningful story. Weeee. "
I there've been games before Braid that did the whole 'shadow controlled by yourself from the past helps out' thing, at the very least that flash game where you have to get up the tower if not others too. I'm sure at least one Zelda did it, if not a game in the same style.
smokeH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By smokeH

Sony is in need of a braid title, thats what i think. The huge success of puzzle games on XBLA and PC I think are getting sony to create another Echochrome. But hey you never know, maybe it will be a hit...*Cough* *cough*

Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Media_Master

I wished meeting my past self would be more exciting