Was kicked out of a Gamestop today. Here's why.

• 187 results
xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By xyzygy

So there's this new Gamestop at my nearest mall (it used to be EB) and me and a friend went in today. I was gonna just look around, maybe get something used if it's for cheap. I was just looking around, talking to my friend about games, he was asking me some questions about if I've ever played such and such, or this and that. Anyway, we got to near where the counter is and it's also near where the 360 game wall starts (The 360 game wall is massive in this Gamestop). It stretches across the whole wall. So we were standing by the counter end. He noticed at the bottom there was Afro Samuria, used, for 29.99. He says "I was wondering about that game. I really like the anime and was thinking about getting it, maybe later though". He wasn't going to buy the game today, or the next day... he might not even get it at all, it was just idle conversation. Anyway, after looking at the price I tell him that I seen the same game, with the cardboard casing, for 14.99 at Blockbuster used. As soon as I said this, the cashier came over and asked me what I was doing in the store. I had Silent Hill: Homecoming in my hand, which I was thinking of buying. I asked him why, and he just told me to leave because Gamestop doesn't allow price shoppers. I told him that I'm going to buy Silent Hill, (I still wasn't sure if I was gonna buy it or not, but it was in my hand) and he told me "No, I can't. It's against company policy." So I left.

Can someone who works at a Gamestop attest to this? I'm never going to Gamestop again.

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Hitchenson

That's actually so stupid. 

nanikore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By nanikore

That's Gamestop for ya!

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By mordukai

Probably some dick employee. I don't work at Gamestop but I have worked in retail for 9 years so I know a thing or two about it. You should report that employee and that store. Just because you told your fiend that he can find it cheaper at another store doesn't mean you can get kicked out of it. 

newmarcom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By newmarcom

That can't be right. I'm guessing the clerk misread something in the training manual.

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#6  Edited By mracoon
@Hitchenson said:
" That's actually so stupid.  "
It's like they want people to dislike them.
EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By EpicSteve

I worked at Gamestop and while price shoppers were an obvious problem, we wouldn't ever kick someone out of the store for it. It would be pretty bad business if we were wrong about said person. In fact, I often redirected people to other places where items were cheaper. But that's just because I knew Gamestop had bad business experiences and I wanted to make at least one of the stores decent.
I only kicked people out for causing problems. 

I'd recommend to complain to the store manger, or even district manager to stick it to that asshole.

angelkanarias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By angelkanarias

That's retarded. I would have gotten mad. Anyways, fuck them, don't go back.

MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By MetalGearSunny

What the fuck? 

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By CL60

Was this a gamestop in Halifax?

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By xyzygy

Oh yeah I forgot to add my my post, what exactly is a price shopper? I was under the impression that they were people hired or who work for other companies and go into different stores to look at prices, to compare with their own store. But this guy made it seem like just any person can be a price shopper. What if I just want to save my money and not spend it all in one place when I can get the same thing for cheaper somewhere else?

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Nasar7
@EpicSteve said:
" I'd recommend to complain to the store manger, or even district manager to stick it to that asshole. "
Seriously.
cstrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By cstrang

God forbid people look for the best price on goods these days, ammirite?  Otherwise Gamestop's profits would plummet. 

Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

You should seriously contact the district manager about this, and explain how you will never go to a GameStop again because of this specific employee's actions.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By xyzygy
@CL60 said:
" Was this a gamestop in Halifax? "
Yeah, the new one in Halifax Shopping Centre. If you've ever been there, it was the lanky moron with the beard and shaved head.
Avatar image for incrediblebulk92
IncredibleBulk92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By IncredibleBulk92

Seriously? Man I'm not even sure stuff like that is legal let alone company policy.  Report that dick and make a big fucking fuss about it.  People like that annoy me, seriously who even reads the rule book these days?

SoothsayerGB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By SoothsayerGB

Why go to a store full of dicks to get your games, when you can get them through a box full of pussy? 

Seriously, why ever go into game stores?  When you get far better deals online.  I just bought Uncharted 2 new for 45 dollars from Amazon.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By TwoOneFive

every dude who gets a job at gamestop is a dickhead who thinks he is a more gaming enthusiast and knows more about games and the industry than you. 

fishinwithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By fishinwithguns

The Gamestop nearest to me is actually run mostly by people I know, so I don't have any big complaints...except one girl that works there is a huge bitch and should be fired.  

That guy who kicked you out sounds like a major douchebag.  I've never heard of a policy against people comparing prices of other stores.  Maybe his boss is just a crazy asshole who enforces ridiculous rules.  Gamestops on the whole seem to be okay though...not to mention they're really the only game stores in the area where I live, and I don't like shopping online.  But if I experienced anything like that, I'd want to speak to manager to see if such a policy existed.  Even if it did, he should have at least let you buy what you wanted first.

Giantsquirrel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Giantsquirrel

You should call up Jesus and send him to hell.

OceanOfSound

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By OceanOfSound

I've signed up to comment i am so mad at Gamestop for this. I worked for Software Etc. for several years, which ended up getting bought out by, and consequently became rebranded as Gamestop. In all my time with the company, we were never privy to any such "company policy" so that guy was just being a dick. You should call another local Gamestop, or even that one, and request to contact the district manager. The punk should be fired for asking you to leave the store, especially since you were actually a paying customer. Now  i remember why i buy all my games digitally now on the PC, so i don't have to deal with Gamestop employees shoving pre-orders down my throat or whatever else they are peddling. In their defense though, i am good friends with an entire Gamestop store by my work, and they are the ONE decent store i have ever been to since i worked for the company. Hats off to the Christy st. Fremont store for being awesome! They aren't all bad, but a majority of them are.  

The employees are treated like crap by the company, are underpaid, and the company does employ many shady practices. For example? Did you just pre-order that new game? Isn't it guaranteed for you for up to 48/72 hours? No, it's not. If a walk in customer comes in, and wants a copy, they will sell your copy to keep him from going across the parking lot to a Best Buy or other store, so they don't lose all the sales they used to from all the folks who think pre-ordering is usually bullshit. I have had two different Gamestops do this recently, and it's apparently a company missive. In the past, someone would walk in, and ask for X game.

Their response? All the employees would look at one another with THAT look, and then ask you in a condescending tone, "Well, did you pre-order it?" Then you'd be told you're SOL and you'd end up getting the game somewhere else. Not anymore.

There is no such policy regarding "price shopping". It's a free land, and you're allowed to call different stores and ask their prices on games. GOD This makes my blood boil. BOIL, i tell you. You can probably get that guy fired for that.

baconbits33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By baconbits33

Yeah I go to either Gamecrazy or just buy stuff on Amazon, seriously the guys at the store in Salt Lake City were so damn nice they actually tell you games that were a lot better and tell you were you could get a better price, then if you were looking for like the last copy of something and they didn't have it, they would call the other stores they know and they would find it for you.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Marcsman

What kind of wimp are you to get bullied by a Gamestop employee? Grow a set , and stick  up for yourself sissy. 
webby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By webby
@xyzygy said:

" @CL60 said:

Yeah, the new one in Halifax Shopping Centre. If you've ever been there, it was the lanky moron with the beard and shaved head. "
Lol would be funny if it was CL60 and it was just a big joke.     
But really that sucks :|.
JonathanMoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#25  Edited By JonathanMoore

Amazons where it's at people.

thecleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By thecleric

I work at a Gamestop and send people to Best Buy and Wal-Mart all the time, must've just been that employee. 

It's dumb to let one person decide t hat you're not going to a store again though, if that was the case I'd never buy fast food again for every time someone fucked up my order. 

And Afro Samurai is 17.99 not 29.99, so someone's not telling the truth.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Capum15

I've only dealt with Gamestop once, and it was to buy Prototype. Got it and left, simple as that. Luckily I've never had the trouble with them everyone else has.

I usually just go to Best Buy, they've always had Day-1 in stock. One of the guys even went in the back to find some more copies of Red Faction: Guerrilla when it came out for me.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#29  Edited By Video_Game_King
@newmarcom said:
" That can't be right. I'm guessing the clerk misread something in the training manual. "
Or maybe that's exactly what it says in the manual :P. Anyway, yea, that sucks, but at least you have the BlockBuster and maybe a Target or something.
bed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#30  Edited By bed

what the hell? i've never been to gamestop (we only have EB Games in Montreal, so i guess they're about the same) but that's really stupid :\ 

intoblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#31  Edited By intoblivion

I had a similar expirence, my friend was about to trade in a game and I said that you were fueling the fires of the satan that is trade ins. The employee heard me and refused to serve me, so i just walked out.
CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By CL60
@xyzygy said:
" @CL60 said:
Yeah, the new one in Halifax Shopping Centre. If you've ever been there, it was the lanky moron with the beard and shaved head. "
I think he sold me my DS. :P

I remember a bald guy with a beard that sold me my DS at Gamestop.
Avatar image for 21stcenturyjesus
21stCenturyJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By 21stCenturyJesus

id like to give the dude the benefit of the doubt, maybe he was just having a shitty day or something....but even so thats actually so stupid
ThomasP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By ThomasP
@CL60 said:
That's what I was thinking. lol
intoblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By intoblivion
@21stCenturyJesus said:
"id like to give the dude the benefit of the doubt, maybe he was just having a shitty day or something....but even so thats actually so stupid "

Amazon don't have employes, but they do have shitty days :P
ThomasP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By ThomasP
@CL60 said:
" @xyzygy said:
" @CL60 said:
I think he sold me my DS. :P  I remember a bald guy with a beard that sold me my DS at Gamestop. "
@ThomasP said:
" @CL60 said:
That's what I was thinking. lol "
Damn. That's funny. Halifax loves Giant Bomb.
Warfare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Warfare

Amazon FTW!!!!!  

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By CL60
@ThomasP said:
Damn. That's funny. Halifax loves Giant Bomb. "
Yeah, there's plenty of people from Halifax on here.
nukesniper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#39  Edited By nukesniper

This whole situation is real dumb. I mean, they even have a website that you could go price shopping on, and I haven't been banned from the site for looking and never, ever buying anything. 

By the way, also odd is that Afro Samurai is only 17.99 used on the gamestop site. Maybe that dude was marking that up to pocket the difference, and you were edging in on his turf. Yes, I know that isn't true, but it is the best dumb excuse I can think up at the moment... 

Afro Samurai on gamestop.com :   http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=69347

Mushir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#40  Edited By Mushir

Gamestop sucks.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By toowalrus

Funny, I was in a Gamestop the other day buying a Wii Points card, and the cashier overheard me blatantly explaining to my cousin how idiotic Power Trading is, he just chuckled and was like 'yep.'

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By CL60
Aetos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Aetos

Report the dude and make a really big deal out of it. The guy will pry get fired and who knows they might even give you some store credit(doubt it). But still I would try.

toast_burner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By toast_burner

wow thats stupid.  
 you cant kick ome one out for saying they can get a better deal else where. you should report him
Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#45  Edited By Venatio
@AjayRaz said:

" what the hell? i've never been to gamestop (we only have EB Games in Montreal, so i guess they're about the same) but that's really stupid :\  "

Gamestop and EB games are the same thing, we had an EB here in my city in Sweden but it became a Gamestop, also, that guy sure does sound like an idiot, Ive never really had any problems with GS, Ive stood right in front of the employees in my GS several times with my friends and discussed prices and how there are cheaper games in other stores 

The most recent case was when AC2 was full price in GS and in a store nearby it was half the price, I was talking to my friend about it and I think they heard me
Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Gamestop is garbage, I never shop there.

kenjisalk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By kenjisalk

While the employee was definitely out of line to ask you to leave (if your story is to be trusted), it's pretty dickish to be standing by the cash wrap talking shit about the prices so openly.  There's a tactful way to go about conveying to your buddy that he should go to Blockbuster, and I highly doubt you handled it the right way. 

I've worked in retail for many years (with a 7 year stint as a GS manager) and I can tell you first-hand, the most annoying thing you can do is bitch about the prices as if the local employees have any control of that kind of thing. 

He probably shouldn't have told you to leave, but I can't blame him for being a bit bristly.
xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By xyzygy
@Marcsman said:

" What kind of wimp are you to get bullied by a Gamestop employee? Grow a set , and stick  up for yourself sissy.  "

What should I have done then Mr. Macho, started a fight with a Gamestop employee who is much bigger than me in the store with children around? As far as I'm concerned, I did the right thing which is just leaving silently and not making a scene. If you can walk away from something that angers you, it's the sign of a stronger person, rather than going apeshit and looking like a fucktard and causing a commotion. 

@kenjisalk said:

" While the employee was definitely out of line to ask you to leave (if your story is to be trusted), it's pretty dickish to be standing by the cash wrap talking shit about the prices so openly.  There's a tactful way to go about conveying to your buddy that he should go to Blockbuster, and I highly doubt you handled it the right way.  I've worked in retail for many years (with a 7 year stint as a GS manager) and I can tell you first-hand, the most annoying thing you can do is bitch about the prices as if the local employees have any control of that kind of thing.  He probably shouldn't have told you to leave, but I can't blame him for being a bit bristly. "

The problem is though I wasn't bitching. I wasn't even talking to the employee. I was talking to a friend, and he overheard. I'd hardly call that bitching. It was a conversation between friends not meant as any sort of offense to the company, and he listens in on me. And if you heard me speak, I don't talk loud.
nukesniper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#49  Edited By nukesniper
@CL60 said:
" @nukesniper said:

"
 By the way, also odd is that Afro Samurai is only 17.99 used on the gamestop site. Maybe that dude was marking that up to pocket the difference, and you were edging in on his turf. Yes, I know that isn't true, but it is the best dumb excuse I can think up at the moment... 

Afro Samurai on gamestop.com :    http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=69347 "

http://www.gamestop.ca/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=203395 "
Ah, my bad there then. Either way, it is not like you can't price search their site anyways. 

Gamestop is mad weird.
toast_burner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By toast_burner
@xyzygy said:
" @Marcsman said:
" What kind of wimp are you to get bullied by a Gamestop employee? Grow a set , and stick  up for yourself sissy.  "
What should I have done then Mr. Macho, started a fight with a Gamestop employee who is much bigger than me in the store with children around? As far as I'm concerned, I did the right thing which is just leaving silently and not making a scene. If you can walk away from something that angers you, it's the sign of a stronger person, rather than going apeshit and looking like a fucktard and causing a commotion. "

no i think you should have punched him then everyone will see how manly you are and you'll get all the chicks