Was Mario 2 really that bad?

smileybomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By smileybomber

I liked Mario 2, and I'm talking about the "real" Japanese one. 

Why does it get such a bad wrap?
Avatar image for bjorntheunicorn
BjornTheUnicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By BjornTheUnicorn

The saying is "bad rep" - as in bad reputation. 
And pretty much because the game is haaaarrrrd, yo,

GunnBjorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By GunnBjorn

It was a wonderfully crafted game that breathed oodles of creativity... Oops, did you hear me? Creativity. As in, it was just so different from the first Mario Bros. game and people simply don't like change if a certain established formula appeals to them. I myself loved Mario 2, but yeah, it was different.
joshy9411

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By joshy9411
@BjornTheUnicorn said:
" The saying is "bad rep" - as in bad reputation. And pretty much because the game is haaaarrrrd, yo, "
bad wrap is a saying too....
Avatar image for bjorntheunicorn
BjornTheUnicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By BjornTheUnicorn
@joshy9411:  Among further research, you are correct. But it's spelled bad rap! So you are only half right!!! 

P.S. I'm about half asleep right now,  I apologize for whatever dickishness or whatever I am doing.
yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By yinstarrunner
@GunnBjorn said:
" It was a wonderfully crafted game that breathed oodles of creativity... Oops, did you hear me? Creativity. As in, it was just so different from the first Mario Bros. game and people simply don't like change if a certain established formula appeals to them. I myself loved Mario 2, but yeah, it was different. "
I think you're thinking of the wrong Mario 2.
Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#7  Edited By Raven10
@yinstarrunner said:
" @GunnBjorn said:
" It was a wonderfully crafted game that breathed oodles of creativity... Oops, did you hear me? Creativity. As in, it was just so different from the first Mario Bros. game and people simply don't like change if a certain established formula appeals to them. I myself loved Mario 2, but yeah, it was different. "
I think you're thinking of the wrong Mario 2. "

Yea he specifically said the actual Mario 2 not the American version.  And I've never heard that it was bad, just hard and too  much like the first.
AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By AuthenticM

I really like Super Mario Bros. 2.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76
deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

So, you are talking about "Lost Levels", right? I didn't like that game, not because it was hard per se, but in the most asinine ways - hidden warpzones that take you several levels back, fake exits, bad mushrooms and so forth. Eventually I got stuck in a level loop and gave up.

Avatar image for deactivated-6204297b0c601
deactivated-6204297b0c601

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

Keep in mind that "Lost Levels" wasn't released in the West until 1993 - by that time, the idea of a Mario game had changed drastically from "a mean-spirited SMB1."  

Grumbel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 99

#11  Edited By Grumbel

"Lost Levels" was basically just a levelpack for the original SuperMarioBros, if you are into ultra hard stuff, sure there is fun to be had with it, but from a regular players point of view I consider the US SMB2 a far better and more creative game, no surprise as it happens to be designed by Miyamoto. Also the US SMB2 had far more impact on the Mario series as a whole, while "Lost Levels" is kind of forgotten as far as Mario "canon" is concerned.

Avatar image for chubbaluphigous
Chubbaluphigous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Chubbaluphigous

I stand firmly by the greatness that was Mario Bros, before they were ever Super.

Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Aus_azn

It was obscenely difficult. End of story.

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By meteora

It was pretty creative and interesting. I liked it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Aus_azn said:
" It was obscenely difficult. End of story. "
@Meteora said:
" It was pretty creative and interesting. I liked it. "
No I think he is talking about the 'Lost Levels' which wasn't released until much later as a part of the Super Mario All Stars collection.
chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By chrissedoff
@Raven10 said:
" @yinstarrunner said:
" @GunnBjorn said:
I think you're thinking of the wrong Mario 2. "

Yea he specifically said the actual Mario 2 not the American version.  And I've never heard that it was bad, just hard and too  much like the first. "
the american version is the actual mario 2.
Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Aus_azn
@Bucketdeth said:
" @Aus_azn said:
@Meteora said:
No I think he is talking about the 'Lost Levels' which wasn't released until much later as a part of the Super Mario All Stars collection. "
I'm talking about LL. It was obscenely difficult.
jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By jeffgoldblum
@GunnBjorn said:
He's talking about the Japanese Mario 2, aka The Lost Levels.
Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Aus_azn said:
" @Bucketdeth said:
" @Aus_azn said:
@Meteora said:
No I think he is talking about the 'Lost Levels' which wasn't released until much later as a part of the Super Mario All Stars collection. "
I'm talking about LL. It was obscenely difficult. "
For some reason I read it as 'different'. Yeah you are right it was very difficult.
Dahill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Dahill

I liked it kind of in the way that Galaxy 2 is harder than 1. Though Galaxy 2 is around 1.25 times harder and Lost Levels is somewhere around 3 or 4 times harder, or more.  I'm a bit of a Mario sadist, I wish they were harder in general.

Mario 2 (US) certainly seems like the now-accepted sequel to the first one. Many of its characters like Birdo have entered Mario canon for good. I hated it.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By iam3green

it was different compared to 1. there was that potion that that turned into a door. you had to know where the mushroom was to get the heart. you would waste the door if you didn't know where it was. it was a weird game.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#22  Edited By Daveyo520

No it was not. While it is way different then a real Mario game it is still good. It was the 1st game I had on the GBA and I played it a far bit. Never did beat it though.

cnlmullen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By cnlmullen

Lost Levels was too hard to hold my interest. 

If your talking about the SMB 2 released in the US, I loved it, especially when I was younger. The world seemed more exotic and I liked the gameplay more. I only played the SNES All-Stars version, and I was fairly young. 

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By iamjohn
@iam3green said:
" it was different compared to 1. there was that potion that that turned into a door. you had to know where the mushroom was to get the heart. you would waste the door if you didn't know where it was. it was a weird game. "
@Daveyo520 said:
" No it was not. While it is way different then a real Mario game it is still good. It was the 1st game I had on the GBA and I played it a far bit. Never did beat it though. "
You guys did not read the thread.  He's talking about Lost Levels.
MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By MikkaQ

Thank you Nintendo, now do you see what your madness has done to this thread, years down the line? 

If we're for sure talking about Lost Levels Mario 2, then yeah that games was fun to try for a few futile hours, but no way I'm finishing that one. I wouldn't say it's bad, maybe a lazy sequel if anything, but there's nothing wrong with more SMB.

If we're talking about SMB2 like Doki Doki Panic styles... then yeah that game is a ball, and I commend it being different and awesome. I don't mind it was leeched off of another game, it was a good and varied platformer. 

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#26  Edited By Daveyo520
@iAmJohn: No I did not. I have a bad habit of not doing that.