Was there a game series you loved but has now failed? or not.

• 126 results
dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#101  Edited By dbz1995

MOTHERFUCKIN MORTAL KOMBAT.

damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 4

#102  Edited By damnboyadvance

NFS has been failing me.

tmthomsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#103  Edited By tmthomsen

I guess Duke Nukem failed. OR DID IT?!

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#104  Edited By stonyman65

Fallout failed. I like the first two, but after that Tactics really sucked and Fallout 3... isn't Fallout.   GTA failed too.  they took a great simple game and added too much crap.
 Mortal Kombat failed too.  MK4 was the last good one.

I still love MGS, but I like the older ones better...  Same with RE - it doesn't get better than REmake. 

egads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#105  Edited By egads

Silent Hill.  
GTA IV I think kind of failed in a way.
Metroid didn't fail, but the Prime games aren't necessarily what I want out of Metroid.

ShaunassNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#106  Edited By ShaunassNZ

Benjie totally Benjie

MiserableGerm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By MiserableGerm
@DukeTogo: Breath of Fire has been on Capcom's burner alot since it has had other franchises come in front.
Illmatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By Illmatic

Tony Hawk. I remember how many hours were spent with friends playing the paint mode and score attack. Pulling off a 900 was as satisfying as a headshot in a shooter. When THUG came out, I believed this was Tony Hawk at its absolute greatest. Fun environments to skate in, an amazing soundtrack, and a story that was surprisingly decent in the scheme of things. Project 8 was the last Tony Hawk game I played and while I won't say its a terrible game, it seemed to have lost the luster the older games had for me back in my younger days. I dont think the games have gotten worse, I just think I grew out of them as the series moved forward.

Finis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By Finis

GTA 
Failed on GTA IV, althoung some things have been improved from San andreas they took away all of the stuff that made San andreas great

CoolDrMoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 11

#110  Edited By CoolDrMoney

Failed
Sonic the Hedgehog: The Genesis era is really all I need
Tony Hawk: By THUG 2, I was done with the rehashes. (The series turns 10 today by the way, 9.30.99-9.30.09)

Still Love
Super Mario : Greatest platformers around ergo greatest games around

Ubiquitous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By Ubiquitous

Sonic = FAIL 
Silent Hill = FAIL 
RE5 = Story and Atmosphere FAIL (but still fun to play with a friend) 
Farcry = kiinnda FAIL 
Quake = FAIL 
Battlefield = not failed but I am really disapointed that there hasnt been a nice 60 player PC title in the series in some years. Now it's                all about bad company. 
Castlevania = Fail (though it may come back with the new game???)
Ubiquitous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By Ubiquitous
@Jeust said:
"Silent Hill, since team Konami left the development, is getting crappier.  Resident Evil turned into a horror co-op game, very different from it was before.    The survival horror genre is now failing. "

I agree that there seems to be a lack of great survival horror games. I did really like Dead Space though, but it came off as being more like a very atmospheric shooter then a traditional survival horror game.
evanbrau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#113  Edited By evanbrau
@Strongba1: Man those were some games. I have the fondest memories of the first three, excellent games but then it slowly started falling apart until I had to go talk to Bam fucking Magera to get to do some tricks.

I have the weirdest relationship with the Metal Gear Solid series after two I thought there was no way to recover, then three was amazing but then I really hated four so I guess in my eyes it's a failed franchise at the moment.
Mooshu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By Mooshu

Personally? The Battlefield series, big time.

1942 was awesome in its day. Huge battles, almost every kind of vehicle you can think of was drive able, it took place in several theaters of war. Everything about it was epic. BF2 continued that tradition, though it added smaller 32 and 16 player versions, but it never lost focus of what really made Battlefield good in the first place.

Then they added the option for infantry only in the game. Seriously, what the fuck? Battlefield was never about infantry only battles, driving vehicles was the fucking point of the game! And yet for some god forsaken reason, infantry only servers started popping up like rabbits on the server browser. It became increasingly difficult for me to find a server that had vehicles enabled. 

BF Vietnam and 2142 were okay games, but they were pretty much just glorified mods of 1942 and BF2 respectively. 

Now the series has found a new home on the consoles with Bad Company and 1943, and these latest games really piss me the fuck off. Removing the 64 player limit? What the dick? thats not fucking battlefield, that's Call of Duty with vehicles. I mean... fuck. If I wanted to play a game with smaller battles and more of a focus on infantry combat, I'd play COD since those games specialize in that kind of thing and, in my opinion, do it better.

I'm really hoping that Battlefield 3 redeems the series in my eyes. 

Anyway, TL;DR: I liked battlefield, but since Bad Company that series has gotten a lot worse in my mind.
Ubiquitous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By Ubiquitous
@Mooshu:
I agree entirely about the player cap. Although I think that Vietnam was fantastic, and after that it started to go downhill fast. 2142 was kind of terrible IMO. I was unaware that a Battlefield 3 had been announced, gotta check that out. Has a lot of potential right off the bat without Bad Company affixed to it's name. (This is of course based on the assumption that any battlefield game that isnt a spinoff is based of large scale warfare.)
deadly_polo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#116  Edited By deadly_polo

Failed: EA Cricket , EA Rugby (linked to 06 since franchise not there (I will add it)) and the Bond franchise.

Cricket and Rugby, there haven't been games for for 3 and 2 (although the 08 was the same as 06) years respectivly; it's understandable given the little market, but sad still.

And Bond, ever since Everything or Nothing, there has been no good Bond games, which really sucks. Even a change of developer and publisher couldn't change the quality, it's really unfortunate that such a great movie franchise has not been able to repetitivly bring out good games.

ShaunassNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By ShaunassNZ
@Finis: Dude have a crack at The Ballad of Gay Tony when it releases it'll have parachutes and tanks!
Belonpopo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#118  Edited By Belonpopo
@ShaunassNZ:
I Know im gonna get chewed out for this but  I think Call of Duty failed after number 3 I hated COD whith a passion
stealthman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By stealthman

Tenchu, Ghost Recon, Syphon Filter, Mission Impossible, 007, Tony Hawk Pro Skater.

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By animateria

Failed: Secret of Mana series, 2 was great, 3 was awesome... then a not so good PS1 game, a terrible GBA remake, a terrible DS game, and Mana 4 was absolutely atrocious. DEATH!

Still Love: Eh, too many to even bother.

nrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#121  Edited By nrain

Sonic has failed hard.

Absurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By Absurd

From what I've heard, the newest socom game isn't so good. So I'd go with that one.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By Karl_Boss

Failed: Final Fantasy ....I quit playing after FFX.

the_stig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By the_stig

Failed: 
Sonic 
NFS  
RE
the Strike series ( I want a new one)   

Ham08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By Ham08

FAILING:

Final Fantasy Series (after FFX):  I hate MMOs so FFXI sucked for me.  FFX12 had great production value, but I hated the combat ... So very boring. And the Summonings and Quickenings were just a complete waste of time.   FFXIII looks to have more boring combat and don't get me started on those retarded summons and the Gestalt mode. What a miserable failure -- they are a mockery of their former selves. The graphics and animation are beautiful as always and the characters are great, but those qualities are not what makes a game fun.  If Versus and Agito are button mashing action games which they seem to be, they are as far way from the series' roots as you can get.  I'm not interested.  FFXIV is another MMO.  Not interested.

SUCCEEDING:

Shin Megami Tensei Series:  My new favorite series and Atlus is my new favorite developer.  Thanks to the Endurance Run for showing me how cool these games are!

GeekDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#126  Edited By GeekDown

I loved the Tony Hawk games as a kid...but the series died for me when they released Underground.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b04117c9080d
deactivated-5b04117c9080d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ShaunassNZ said:

"Grand Theft Auto still gets better every time a new one comes out"

GTA 3
 GTA Vice city                  >>            GTA 4
GTA San Andreas
Rumour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By Rumour
@DukeTogo said:
" Breath of Fire 

A great RPG series that was unique enough to stand apart from the Square and Enix games to make the jump from SNES to PSX and stayed strong.  When it moved to the PS2 however; it all went bad, taking a sci-fi angle and abandoning all the charm of the prior 4 games.  Taking a risk is admirable, but not when it kills the franchise, and since then there has not been another new BoF.  
Agreed., everytime the Giant Bomb crew talk about Capcom resurrecting franchises I find myself yelling it at my iPod.  Here's to hoping.
veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#129  Edited By veektarius

A lot of you are pretty hard on games that were pretty popular in the mainstream.  Halo 3, GoW2, FFXI & XII failed?  Having played most of these games and seen their sales figures, I would say not, and having played them, I can say with a certainty that even in evaluating the games on their own merits, you're overreacting.  I guess it doesn't really matter, though.  Here's my list. 

Failed series: 
Total War - this is the highest on my list for sure.  I played so many hours of the original medieval, and the upcoming expansion pack is the first that I won't buy.  CA never managed to come up with an AI that worked after they switched away from the Risk map, which I maintain was the worst decision the company made with regard to the series.  I came close to beating one game of Empire, and ultimately failed because a bug in the game caused it to freeze during the turn change (even when I reloaded  a save and tried again.) 

Summoner:  This was only two games long, neither of which were too well-received.  However, I loved the story and atmosphere of the original, even if it was blocky and barely up to the standards of being a PS2 game.  The second kept the good story and had a cool Queen mechanic, but they filled it with weird pastel colors.  It didn't sell well, so the series died. 

Mechwarrior - definitely.  They ran this one into the ground by turning it into an arcade experience in MechAssault 1 & particularly 2, with the whole "Oh, now you can get out of your giant robot and fight!" mechanic.  No surprise the series died at that point.  Look forward to its resurrection.   

Still a fan of: 
Halo  - Never been an MP fan, but I like its story and the enemies' smart AI
Final Fantasy - I'll admit XII was a disappointment, but only because of the terrible idea behind its combat.  I thought the story was one of the best so far, and I hope the developers realize it and don't attribute the negative reaction to the wrong cause.
Gears - Same thing as Halo.  Thought 2's campaign was a ton of fun, especially coop.
Elder Scrolls - The Elder Scrolls games never leave me with a good taste in my mouth, but the thing is it's such a long time before they leave me.  I can get some serious time out of em before the flaws start becoming too difficult to ignore.  I hope they don't continue to go the route of TW and keep boosting the graphics while gameplay actually regresses.