Waste of time and thought!!!!

Belonpopo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By Belonpopo

I am taking an AP Journalism class so i had to type a three to four page assignment on one of three following 
    1. structured interview 
    2. educated critizism (Review of book ,video game ,or movie) 
    3. report current event 
I chose option two the review. I reviewed chose to review a game (keep in mind my teacher lets us chose a video game is we wanted to to). I wanted to chose a game i've played a lot in the past and still consitly play so I chose Halo 3. I typed a three and a half page paper and got a 93% I had a few spelling thing here and there. After class my teacher calls me to her desk and tells me that video game are a waste of time and I should not persu a career in it. I was mad but in the end I got a A- and I passed the class. So is my teacher a bitch or is she right? (sorry for any spelling errors Microsoft word down.)

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Karmum

It's her opinion, she is neither right or wrong.

Also, AP Journalism? I feel sorry for you then, I cannot imagine that. I have regular Journalism, and my teacher is bat-shit crazy with work.

Belonpopo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Belonpopo
@Karmum:
Shes cool for the most part it is easy for me becuse I read lots of reviews and news columns
Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Ineedaname

I can't see how you got that if the level of English was any where near that of your post.......
I'm no perfectionist or anything but still, anyways at least you did well, suppose that's all that matters.

spudzdk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By spudzdk

Unless I misunderstand your post she is a bitch for trying to get you away from your interest (her job is to teach you the skills and theory, not to push her oppinions and views onto you), but you she a pro for seeing past that and giving you a grade based on the skills you display on their merit alone, not the subject you choose. :)

Damien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Damien

Kinda sounds like my senior English teacher and AP Journalism teacher (same person).  She didn't like video games but she was real cool.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By zeforgotten

"After class my teacher calls me to her desk"
When I read that part I was like "I totally had that dream once!"..  
The I was lost and couldn't read the rest. 

Seriously though, I thought A- was ok? 
Keep in mind where I come from we don't follow that letter grade thingy.. So I don't know what the heck an A- is.  
But normally it sounds like somethings that's alright?  
Oh well..

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By RHCPfan24

Well, while I don't agree that video games are a unworthy field, they are a tough one, and I would not personally suggest people to pursue a career in it. They are definitely not a waste of time though, but if people here believe they can be successful easily and reach the status of the Fab Four here, they have no idea what they are thinking. The GB crew is one of the luckiest group of game journalists I have seen and, after seeing their stomping grounds myself, I can attest that is a nice place in a beautiful area. But that does not happen often. In fact, I was shocked to see them in that position in the first place. Good for them!! But don't expect that to happen to you if you are looking into it.

Belonpopo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Belonpopo
@Ineedaname:
Your not the first person to say that im just kinda lazy on forums.
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#10  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Karmum said:
" It's her opinion, she is neither right or wrong.
Correct; she is EXTREMELY wrong :|.
zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By zeforgotten
@Belonpopo: There's nothing wrong with spelling errors or being lazy on the internet. 
I mean, p30p13 t41k like that for gods sake 

Don't hate me for messing that Up, I have no fucking idea how any of that shit is done since it's retarded, like.. Monkey up your ass retarded. 
I was just trying to say that people understand that, then people can certainly understand some spelling  and grammar errors
breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12  Edited By breadfan
@RHCPfan24 said:
if people here believe they can be successful easily and reach the status of the Fab Four here, they have no idea what they are thinking.
I agree 100%.  So many people think that getting into game journalism is so easy and only requires that you can write and form an opinion on a game, while the rest of the job entails playing games for hours a day.  
Expletive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By Expletive
@Belonpopo said:
" I am taking an AP Journalism class so i had to type a three to four page assignment on one of three following     1. structured interview     2. educated critizism (Review of book ,video game ,or movie)     3. report current event I chose option two the review. I reviewed chose to review a game (keep in mind my teacher lets us chose a video game is we wanted to to). I wanted to chose a game i've played a lot in the past and still consitly play so I chose Halo 3. I typed a three and a half page paper and got a 93% I had a few spelling thing here and there. After class my teacher calls me to her desk and tells me that video game are a waste of time and I should not persu a career in it. I was mad but in the end I got a A- and I passed the class. So is my teacher a bitch or is she right? (sorry for any spelling errors Microsoft word down.) "
Let me apologize in advance for my sexism.  

But FUCK THAT STUPID BITCH RIGHT IN HER STUPID ASS! 
Teachers like that get on my fucking nerves so much.
Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14  Edited By Karmum
@Video_Game_King said:
" @Karmum said:
" It's her opinion, she is neither right or wrong.
Correct; she is EXTREMELY wrong :|. "
Albeit I don't think she's right, she isn't wrong. Again, it's her opinion. A teacher's opinion really shouldn't matter, especially since the OP got a good grade on what he reviewed.
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#15  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Karmum: 

No, she's wrong; I'm the King, so I should know.
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By iam3green

i kind of know what u mean. i asked a english teacher a few questions on my essay grade. she's like what do you do ? she kind of said play video games right? i'm yeah. she told me i need to get out more.....  i was just kind of like wow. i chill with a friend almost every day. talk to different people.

bubahula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By bubahula

she probably doesn't know shit about it, shes just listening to fox news

VisariLoyalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By VisariLoyalist

Journalism is for hippies

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ryanwho

Videogames are a waste of productivity time, that can't really be argued. All entertainment is a waste of time that you could be spending on something to advance your career etc. The only people who would want to convince themselves its not a waste of time are the people who spend 6+ hours a day on it thinking their gamerscore will magically convert to money once they reach a million. You can like something and understand its a waste of time. You don't always have to be so defensive. 
However, there is money to be made in the field of especially popular wastes of time, that can't be denied.

vindKtiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By vindKtiv
@Belonpopo said:
" I am taking an AP Journalism class so i had to type a three to four page assignment on one of three following     1. structured interview     2. educated critizism (Review of book ,video game ,or movie)     3. report current event I chose option two the review. I reviewed chose to review a game (keep in mind my teacher lets us chose a video game is we wanted to to). I wanted to chose a game i've played a lot in the past and still consitly play so I chose Halo 3. I typed a three and a half page paper and got a 93% I had a few spelling thing here and there. After class my teacher calls me to her desk and tells me that video game are a waste of time and I should not persu a career in it. I was mad but in the end I got a A- and I passed the class. So is my teacher a bitch or is she right? (sorry for any spelling errors Microsoft word down.) "
For the most part, yes she is correct. The video game industry pays very poorly and competition is very high. Just look around you. There are tons and tons of people who absolutely just love video games. A lot of them are willing to "do what they love" and forgo pay for it. If you are smart enough to get into AP Journalism and maybe pass the AP test with a 4 or a 5, I'm going to straight up tell you that you can do a lot more than review video games with your talents.

Nevertheless, if you absolutely love video games, are willing to work on video games until you hate it, and endure "slave labor," then I say why not? It is your life, you do whatever you want with it. A common occurrence that happened a lot with people I know is, they get into the industry, then they get out. They absolutely can't take it anymore because working on games, whether it be publishing, developing, or writing about them, is not a game. If you understand that and still are willing to go through with your dreams, then just do it.
CowMuffins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By CowMuffins
@Belonpopo said:
" I am taking an AP Journalism class and we were required to type a three to four page assignment with a format of one of the following: A structured interview, educated criticism (Review of book ,video game ,or movie), or a report current event. I chose option two, the review. I chose to review a game (keep in mind the teacher let video games be one of our choices of possible media to review). I wanted to choose a game I've played a lot in the past, and still consistently play, so I chose Halo 3. I typed a three-and-a-half page paper and got a 93%, due to a few spelling thing here and there. After class my teacher calls me to her desk and tells me that video games are a waste of time and I should not pursue a career in them. I was mad, but in the end I got a A- and  passed the class. So, is my teacher a bitch? Or is she right?"
There you go, I fixed it for you and marked the corrections in bold. I'm surprised you passed that class.
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#22  Edited By AgentJ

Games are as much a waste of time and thought as much as any other past time. She may not realize that journalism surrounding the gaming industry has been growing by leaps and bounds the last decade or so, so forgive her her ignorance. By the way, congratulations on taking up journalism. It's an interesting profession to be sure. 

Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#23  Edited By Seedofpower
@VisariLoyalist said:
" Journalism is for hippies "
and propagandists.
TheGremp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By TheGremp

How exactly did you get an A- in anything that has to do with English?  Judging by your posts here, it seems a little improbable.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#25  Edited By AgentJ
@TheGremp said:
" How exactly did you get an A- in anything that has to do with English?  Judging by your posts here, it seems a little improbable. "
Some writers leave that sort of thing up to the copy editors :P 
But in all seriousness, theres a big difference between writing a paper and typing up a quick message for a forum
FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#27  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Whatever.  Life is a waste of my time and at least video games are something I can enjoy.