prewaroregon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By prewaroregon

--> gbrandomquicklook.party <--

UPDATE(3/7/2017): The site is back up. Sorry about the unexplained hiatus.

UPDATE(9/14/2016): Hello again! I got a new laptop and was able to finish up the chat page. It's live right now at http://gbrandomquicklook.party/viewParty.html

The page plays random quick looks and should be playing the same quick look for everyone and should synchronize to close to the same point in the video for everyone. For right now, I have just embedded a KiwiIRC client for users to chat. Just enter a username and enter the chat. I will probably change the chat in the future, but for right now this might work. Also, I have not really tested this on mobile or tablets, so I assume it will just explode if used on either of those. I would love if people come check it out and please let me know of any issues that you may come across. Time to see if this all breaks! :)

NOTE: Sometimes the page will not select the new video automatically. Just refresh the page to get the current video and timestamp.

UPDATE(OLD): I'm thinking of adding a new page to gbrandomquicklook.party that works similar to when the engineers are testing the chat for Giant Bomb.There will be a quick look selected and everyone can watch it and chat about it. However, with my site, users can synchronize their video times to a global time so that everyone is watching the video in sync without having to ask the chat what the current time stamp is. In addition, the quick looks will automatically cycle to a new one once the previous video finishes. The chat would just be a simple IRC chat.

So I'm wondering, how does this idea sound? Would anyone be interested in having me add this?

ORIGINAL POST: Short story: Here is a “Pandora like” Giant Bomb Quick Look Player webpage I made. It should automatically start the video when the page loads. gbrandomquicklook.party

Long story: Hello fellow quick look enthusiast! Like many people have over this past year, I have stopped my cable subscription and substituted daily television for things like Netflix, Twitch and, of course, Giant Bomb. Most the time I like to have something on in the background and the Giant Bomb Quick Looks have always been great background videos. However, selecting a specific video to just have on in the background is sometimes a tougher decision than it probably should be, so I took a little time and developed a webpage that you can just open up and leave on throughout the day to constantly have a steady stream of quick looks playing. If everything works correctly, you should just be able to navigate to gbrandomquicklook.party and let the randomly selected quick looks play. It is basically Pandora for Giant Bomb Quick Looks.

I know what you’re thinking, “can’t you already do this with qlcrew.com?” To that, I say, yeah you can! I use qlcrew.com all the time, but I just wanted a simple page that I could load up and leave my browser on that would automatically play without me having to set any playlist up. You could also do this with YouTube playlist, but from my experience, not every Quick Look is on YouTube, especially some of the really old ones.

Please check it out if you are interested and let me know how you like it! Also please let me know if anything is broken. Happy Quick Looking!

Once again, the webpage is gbrandomquicklook.party

effache

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By effache

This is very cool. I will be spending my wednesday off watching some QLs on shuffle.

Also fyi, after I was rapidly clicking the skip button I got an error saying "no such video player exists" and then the audio from the QL I was watching started playing twice on top of each other. Reloading the page fixed it quick so no big deal but figured you'd want to know

E: can't seem to reproduce it so not even an issue

YummyTreeSap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Awesome! I could see myself using this a lot for background viewing.

If I may make the most insufferably nitpicky observation (I'm so sorry), the symbol you used to skip ahead a video is one usually reserved for video work that indicates advancing a frame. The 'next' icon is more frequently like the image below, though some (notably Apple) use what technically is the fast-forward symbol (two triangles) to mean skipping forward or backward.

No Caption Provided

szlifier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Cool. It's good to see someone else using the embed player. :P

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

That's a really cool idea you came up with.

And... Favorited

Avatar image for machofantastico
MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

That's cool, could certainly see myself using this.

ChrisTaran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Awesome, thanks duder!

prewaroregon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By prewaroregon

@yummytreesap: Haha! I was hoping no one would notice since I was to lazy to make a new button after I realized I had used the wrong symbol. I can change it though now. Thanks for letting me know!

@effache: Sounds good! Thanks for letting me know. I did have that issue sometimes during testing also, so it's something I will try to fix.

Thanks for the input everyone! Glad to hear it's working for the most part.

Ericjasonwade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is actually really really cool.

dietmango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -4

User Lists: 13

This is cool, man. Gonna bookmark this. I have used qlcrew since I recently discovered it a couple weeks ago, but this is a simpler way of just going in a random video and just play it. Thanks.

Macka1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Macka1080

Awesome work, duder!

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By newmoneytrash

oh wow this is great

e: the first thing i heard was "Ryan what do you think of my penthouse?" so this website is the greatest of all time

prewaroregon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks for the positive comments! I'm glad you all like it! I changed the "next video" button so it shows the correct "next" symbol and made it so the site should hopefully show up better on tablet and phone screens.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

This seems really cool. Thanks for sharing.

prewaroregon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thank you to everyone who has been using the site!

I'm thinking of adding a new page to gbrandomquicklook.party that works similar to when the engineers are testing the chat for Giant Bomb.There will be a quick look selected and everyone can watch it and chat about it. However, with my site, users can synchronize their video times to a global time so that everyone is watching the video in sync without having to ask the chat what the current time stamp is. In addition, the quick looks will automatically cycle to a new one once the previous video finishes. The chat would just be an IRC chat.

So I'm wondering, how does this idea sound? Would anyone be interested in having me add this?

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is very cool; never seen it before... thanks! I've used the Quicklook Crew website someone else did before but I'd usually use it to just watch a random video if I was bored or wanted something on in the background. This looks like it is a bit easier for that purpose. New features you talk about sound cool as well.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

That chat feature would be pretty dope.

TomyDingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By TomyDingo

@prewaroregon: Thanks for creating the site, it's awesome to have on in the background while doing other things. However, the next video doesn't automatically start for me. I'm using the Streaming & Auto quality setting. Any idea why it doesn't load up the next video?

Avatar image for deactivated-5879a8792e775
deactivated-5879a8792e775

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have to say, I think it is pretty cool. Any way you can integrate chat would be awesome.

Nice work!

prewaroregon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aesthetic_noise:Thanks! Glad you like it. I can't think of why it wouldn't be loading the next video. What browser are you using? Does it load to the next video and just not start playing or does it not load a new video at all?

TomyDingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@prewaroregon: I'm using Chrome on Windows 10. It doesn't advance to the next video. The current video just ends.

TomyDingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

FYI, the same thing happens on my iPad using Safari

prewaroregon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aesthetic_noise: Yeah I'm aware of the issues on mobile and tablet devices. I'll have to work on the mobile stuff some more, but I'm not sure why it would not be working for Chrome on Windows 10. That's exactly what I have been using and it always seems to work. Hmmm... I'll look into it! Thanks for letting me know.

TomyDingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm also using ad block. It's not a big deal but I came to this thread to request an auto play next video option. Thanks again!

SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Any update on this project, @prewaroregon? Looking forward to chat functionality.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

This would be amazing with chat included.

prewaroregon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By prewaroregon

Oh hey! Thanks for staying interested in my little project here. My computer actually died on me close to before I was going to try and implement the chat stuff, so that is why I have had to delay it. I'm working to get myself a new computer here soon, so hopefully I can try to update the webpage soon.

Also, sorry I never gave an update about the delay until now. I was hoping it wouldn't take too long to get a new computer.

prewaroregon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hello again! I got a new laptop and was able to finish up the chat page. It's live right now at http://gbrandomquicklook.party/viewParty.html

The page plays random quick looks and should be playing the same quick look for everyone and should synchronize to close to the same point in the video for everyone. For right now, I have just embedded a KiwiIRC client for users to chat. Just enter a username and enter the chat. I will probably change the chat in the future, but for right now this might work. Also, I have not really tested this on mobile or tablets, so I assume it will just explode if used on either of those. I would love if people come check it out and please let me know of any issues that you may come across. Time to see if this all breaks! :)

NOTE: Sometimes the page will not select the new video automatically. Just refresh the page to get the current video and timestamp.

prewaroregon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flashflood_29: @onemanarmyy: Just updating and giving topic a bump, chat page is now live! Currently watching Rogue Shooter quick look, but who knows what will show up next?!

I would love to know your thoughts everyone!

SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Awesome! Nice job @prewaroregon! I have the site bookmarked for future use so that's awesome.

coldblood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It seemed to work on my phone just fine. This is cool.

prewaroregon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By prewaroregon

Hi everyone. Just letting everyone still interested know that the site is back up. Sorry about the unexplained hiatus. Once again the site is http://gbrandomquicklook.party .

brettuss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ildon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2