• 141 results
#1 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4495 posts) -

Not sure if someone pointed this out but Ryan showed up again for that Gamespot Quoted for Truth segment.

You can watch it here

I'm glad to see him show up there again mostly because of how good he is at calling out the other guy's bullshit...specifically McShea, that guy is just hard to like...at least for me he is.

#2 Posted by Jams (2966 posts) -

God damn I can't wait to get off work and watch Ryan rock those fruit loops from Gamespot.

#3 Posted by Shaka999 (500 posts) -

Do any of the other two guys wear a "Fuck Ryan Davis" shirt? cause that would make it at least 8 times better. (can't watch at the moment, but definitely will soon)

#4 Posted by ThePickle (4169 posts) -

Yeah, McShea seems like a total douche.

#5 Posted by BlackLagoon (1460 posts) -

@Shaka999 said:

Do any of the other two guys wear a "Fuck Ryan Davis" shirt?

Well, if they aren't someone needs to give them a pair. Heck, just give all of GameSpot a whole carton of them. I have a feeling they'll all be needed eventually.

#6 Edited by vikingdeath1 (1006 posts) -

Goddamn Yes! I wanted more of this so bad! and can't stand McShea, but I dislike the other guy more.

EDIT: He didn't yell at them as much as last time :(

#7 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4495 posts) -

@BlackLagoon said:

@Shaka999 said:

Do any of the other two guys wear a "Fuck Ryan Davis" shirt?

Well, if they aren't someone needs to give them a pair. Heck, just give all of GameSpot a whole carton of them. I have a feeling they'll all be needed eventually.

If they didn't get their orders in on BLLSL 3 Day then they sure as well will regret it now.

#8 Posted by Ravenlight (8011 posts) -

All right! More Yelly Ryan is more good stuff.

#9 Posted by crusader8463 (14429 posts) -

Nifty! Really liked the first one so here's hoping this one is as good. Passing the hours until X-Com comes out tonight so I'm glad to have an hour waster with this now. I'm getting low on things to do to pass the time while I wait!

#10 Posted by TheHumanDove (2523 posts) -

That damn McShea

#11 Edited by Phatmac (5728 posts) -

Whatever problems you have with the GB staff at least be grateful that they aren't complete tools like those GS guys in that video. The Giant Bomb staff has a personality while those Gamespot guys couldn't be more bland. Lastly, I fucking love Ryan's attack on Activision for what they've done to prolific game devs like Raven.

#12 Edited by The_Ruiner (1139 posts) -

Someone (RYAN?) heavy breathing into the microphone....

#13 Posted by ervonymous (1297 posts) -

Ryan is like a force of nature in that company, love it.

#14 Posted by BBAlpert (1578 posts) -

I loved the first and enjoyed the second, but I feel like this could very easily turn into a bland, formulaic, routine. Look at Zero Punctuation, for instance. I really like a lot of the stuff that Yahtzee does, but even he prefaces one of his early review videos with "There are a bunch of inconsequential flaws that don't really detract from an otherwise fantastic experience, but nobody watches these videos to hear me say nice things, so here's everything I hated about (whatever game it was)."

#15 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4495 posts) -

Fuck Tom McShea for calling Randy PItchford a "blowhard". Asshole.

#16 Posted by Fredchuckdave (6158 posts) -

@BBAlpert: I believe that's Bioshock, which as being one of the early ZP reviews is one of the best ones; though Oblivion is still the king.

#17 Edited by RedSox8933 (2428 posts) -

@Colourful_Hippie: Agreed. What the fuck was he even talking about?

Also, glad to see I'm not the only one who can't stand McShea.

#18 Posted by TheHumanDove (2523 posts) -

McShea makes some godawful points about Battlefield 3 single player campaign. Interesting

#19 Edited by Snail (8662 posts) -

He yelled and ridiculed shitty opinions more in the first one, but this was still enjoyable - though only because of Ryan. Also McShea didn't say anything as incredibly stupid as his theory of tablets eventually packing as much power as consoles of respective generations that are, and will most likely keep on being, about seven times their size.

@BBAlpert said:

I loved the first and enjoyed the second, but I feel like this could very easily turn into a bland, formulaic, routine. Look at Zero Punctuation, for instance. I really like a lot of the stuff that Yahtzee does, but even he prefaces one of his early review videos with "There are a bunch of inconsequential flaws that don't really detract from an otherwise fantastic experience, but nobody watches these videos to hear me say nice things, so here's everything I hated about (whatever game it was)."

The premise of Zero Punctuation since the first episode was to provide hardball reviews of video-games. It serves a purpose I think - if nothing else, at least a satirical one. I like to watch it because he goes into some flaws with excruciating detail and fleshes out shitty things that we just accept in games, sometimes as near-paradigms, that are indeed quite annoying. That's pretty interesting, occasionally eye-opening aspect of the series.

Furthermore he makes some flaws that most people don't care about seem like game-breaking things, but sometimes people can't stand a certain shitty thing in a game for some idiosyncratic reason - I've certainly taken vicarious pleasure from listening Yahtzee point out stuff that renders a game near-unplayable to me but that other people seem not to care about. Sometimes I get pissed at his opinions of games I loved, but in a weird way I take pleasure in listening his bashing, because he is one of the best at making funny metaphors. Those metaphors man, that's a talent.

That said, I don't watch it as much as I used to. I think he used to be more into it, like he was angrier at one point. Maybe he'd rather be a conventional game journalist now. He does have his column and has written at least one novel. I still enjoy Zero Punctuation.

#20 Posted by CatsAkimbo (645 posts) -

Thank you for posting this stuff -- I never would have found it on my own

#21 Posted by Shaka999 (500 posts) -

Maybe it's just me, but after a certain point last week, Peter Brown looked like he really didn't want to be there. The start of this week's episode, he's got the same look on his face. Oh boy

#22 Posted by TooWalrus (13257 posts) -

I think "Watch Ryan Yell at Gamespot Guys" is a much better title than "Quoted for Truth", anyway.

#23 Posted by Ravenlight (8011 posts) -

36:15 "Fuck you, Tom!"

#24 Posted by MAJID (222 posts) -

Ryan makes a great Harry Potter reference in this episode.

#25 Posted by SomeDeliCook (2341 posts) -

@The_Ruiner said:

Someone (RYAN?) heavy breathing into the microphone....

Ive noticed he does it a lot. I don't know if I have the same problem as him, but my nostrils are way too narrow and so it ALWAYS sounds like I have a stuffy nose when its actually completely clear and its just my crappy nostrils. Usually it makes me just breathe through my mouth

#26 Posted by DougQuaid (1275 posts) -

RYAN DAVIS DOESN'T MIND.

#27 Posted by Baal_Sagoth (1297 posts) -

Yet again a seemingly worthwhile endeavor. 24 minutes in I'm having a fun time watching this stuff. The 'new IP' vs. consumers don't even need to be aware of this bullshit is another great highlight. These talks are actually going somewhere and tackle issues I'm certainly interested in. Cool to see some successful crossover (at least so far). The clashing perspectives are simply interesting and informative to watch.

#28 Posted by Tennmuerti (8174 posts) -

@Colourful_Hippie said:

#29 Posted by RE_Player1 (7526 posts) -

I never knew why people disliked Tom McShea but now I do. Dude comes off as a person who just stumbled into his job. He doesn't know very much.

#30 Posted by Iodine (550 posts) -

Gamespot is getting ethered and seems to enjoy it.... CHINA DONT CARE

#31 Posted by CornBREDX (6036 posts) -

Ya I already saw it a few days ago. 

So, what I have noticed people saying is... they really want a show where Ryan yells at idiots.

#32 Posted by WalkerTR77 (1390 posts) -

Ryan isn't quite so harsh as last time, but he still tears in there at the first sign of bullshit. The site really needs to do a better job of telling us when a GB editor is in Gamespot content, right now I find out from twitter and forum posts which isn't ideal.

#33 Posted by Jams (2966 posts) -

@msavo said:

I never knew why people disliked Tom McShea but now I do. Dude comes off as a person who just stumbled into his job. He doesn't know very much.

What's there to know? Call of Duty, Halo... Fifa and Madden... That covers about 100% of worth while games. www.videogames.com

#34 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

@Tennmuerti said:

@Colourful_Hippie said:

#35 Edited by WarlockEngineerMoreDakka (428 posts) -

@Colourful_Hippie said:

specifically McShea, that guy is just hard to like...at least for me he is.

You're not alone- I've done my darnedest to avoid McShea like a plague ever since the moment he first appeared on Gamespot several years ago. :\

Whenever I still occasionally go over to Gamespot for reviews- if McShea's the author, I immediately leave knowing that review's a complete waste of my time.

Given how Gamespot's kept him around- I say he could be the avatar of Gamespot's desperation for relevance in flesh and blood. :P

#36 Edited by jkz (4060 posts) -

Oh Ryan, your ability to make discussion entertaining, regardless of the other parties involved, is always appreciated.

The fact that he remains so lively with regard to talking about video games after so many years, and seems both so excited to talk about this stuff, and invested in talking about it honestly, makes anything he's in in which he actually makes an investment really fun to watch.

So in short: bravo

#37 Posted by wefwefasdf (6729 posts) -

@WalkerTR77 said:

Ryan isn't quite so harsh as last time, but he still tears in there at the first sign of bullshit. The site really needs to do a better job of telling us when a GB editor is in Gamespot content, right now I find out from twitter and forum posts which isn't ideal.

I agree. I wish there a page that showed crossover content between Giant, Comic Vine, and GameSpot

#38 Posted by DougQuaid (1275 posts) -

"That is a fucking war crime! Activision should be tried at the fucking Hague for what they have done to Raven!"

God damn you, Ryan Davis! I laughed out loud at that comment.

#39 Posted by laserbolts (5368 posts) -

Anyone have a link for the first one by any chance?

#40 Edited by Colourful_Hippie (4495 posts) -

@laserbolts:

#41 Posted by Vod_Crack (753 posts) -

@DougQuaid said:

"That is a fucking war crime! Activision should be tried at the fucking Hague for what they have done to Raven!"

God damn you, Ryan Davis! I laughed out loud at that comment.

Only because it's true.

#42 Posted by ArbitraryWater (12120 posts) -

Tom McShea is still totally lame, but watching Ryan yell at him is great.

#43 Edited by algertman (852 posts) -

Mcshea really needs to take the sony dick out of his mouth.

#44 Edited by ANYMAN (11 posts) -

Ryan is the Bullshitman

#45 Posted by Hunter5024 (5967 posts) -

I liked the Activision hate, I can never hear enough bitching about that company, and I feel like it's a crime that EA get's more heat than they do.

#46 Edited by laserbolts (5368 posts) -

Just watched both of these and theyre pretty great. The first one was very interesting and Ryan was great. The guy with the glasses seriously has no idea what he is talking about and it makes for some good call outs from Ryan. Hopefully they keep doing these.

#47 Edited by Iodine (550 posts) -

Yeah the 1st one was better, but jesus after watching it for reals.... fuck

#48 Posted by ExplodeMode (852 posts) -

I want to see the bombcast use these cameras at least once.

#49 Posted by Schatzy23 (164 posts) -

Thanks for posting this stuff! Keep it coming when you find more.

#50 Edited by I_smell (3925 posts) -

I usually think about games on the level of all the tiny individual components. Like how Brad talks about RE-6 and he has all these examples of animations not lining up, and who Wesker's son is, and what the AI partner can't do.

So to hear these guys steamrolling through Metroid Prime, Super Metroid, Mirror's Edge, Battlefield 3 and Bad Company, Dead Space 1 and 3, and "DO CONSUMERS WANT NEW IP, IS EA DOING IT RIGHT?" I'm just like "AAAAARRGH SLOW DOWN I'M STILL THINKING ABOUT METROID!!"
This cast is not for me!