#1 Posted by Fistfulofmetal (683 posts) -

#2 Posted by Fistfulofmetal (683 posts) -

I'm watching the Persona 4 ER over my vacation. I'm on episode 101 right now and getting the urge to play this. I could probably pick it up right now and have it for Saturday. I probably wouldnt catch up.

Would it be worth it to play through the game after watching it?

#3 Posted by TooWalrus (13203 posts) -

There's so much more to that game than funky student, get bent, aha is this our chance... yes, you should absolutely play it for yourself. It's really somethin' else.

#4 Edited by SirOptimusPrime (2010 posts) -

Hell yes you should play it and watch. I watched it and picked the game up immediately afterwards and had a hell of a time with my two playthroughs. Plus, it might give you the SMT bug. That leads to Nocturne, the DDS games, the Raidou games, and Persona 3...

And that's only on the PS2.

#5 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@TooWalrus said:

There's so much more to that game than funky student, get bent, aha is this our chance... yes, you should absolutely play it for yourself. It's really somethin' else.

Indeed. I was so happy that I decided to play it myself before watching all of the ER.

#6 Posted by GaspoweR (3041 posts) -

Man, kinda wish they just release P4G on the consoles via retail or on PSN or XBLA in the near future.

#7 Posted by dungbootle (2457 posts) -

I had already played through the game twice and loved it before I even knew about Giant Bomb. Then I watched 100 hours of 2 guys playing through it and loved it. But I think this is because I'm crazy.

#8 Posted by Baillie (4175 posts) -

I played it after watching the ER, didn't get far. I don't think it's particularly enjoyable to actually play.

#9 Posted by killacam (1284 posts) -

@GaspoweR said:

Man, kinda wish they just release P4G on the consoles via retail or on PSN or XBLA in the near future

i have this theory... that.. they will. it's controversial, so be careful how you use that information.

#10 Posted by Lelcar (618 posts) -

I would say both, but its tough to determine as i had played Persona 4 to completion before the P4ER existed, and that kind of made it better for me to watch the ER because I anticipated their reactions to some of my favourite moments. There's also something to be said for discovering the adventure along with them as I enjoyed watching Deadly Premonition, however because of that, I had no intention of playing DP afterwards (but also because it looked like a legitimately bad game).

The P4 ER is fantastic and gets much better with each episode, and the game itself is also fantastic. So, both.

#11 Posted by Fistfulofmetal (683 posts) -

So I just bought the game.

And I just realized I just bought a PS2 game in 2012 (almost 2013).

Would be hilarious if they release an HD version in like... a month. Whatevs.

I'm not really into JRPGs so we'll see. This will be the first one I've ever played. Any tips? Things to look out for?

#12 Posted by Little_Socrates (5677 posts) -

@TooWalrus said:

This is an accurate read. Unfortunately, you should probably stop watching the Run until you finish it yourself, as you know you're watching the final third of the game now.

@dungbootle said:

I had already played through the game twice and loved it before I even knew about Giant Bomb. Then I watched 100 hours of 2 guys playing through it and loved it. But I think this is because I'm crazy.

I'm pretty sure playing Persona 4 through just makes you totally crazy about Persona 4.

#13 Posted by Fistfulofmetal (683 posts) -

Putting a sudden halt to my ER watch would be really hard. Really hard choice here....

#14 Edited by Chaser324 (6550 posts) -

Even if you do watch the ER through to the end before starting the game yourself, you should still be able to fully enjoy playing through on your own.

My recommendation though would be to put a little space between your ER viewing and your own playthrough by playing P3:FES right now.

#15 Posted by GaspoweR (3041 posts) -

@killacam said:

@GaspoweR said:

Man, kinda wish they just release P4G on the consoles via retail or on PSN or XBLA in the near future

i have this theory... that.. they will. it's controversial, so be careful how you use that information.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU................

#16 Posted by Undeadpool (4943 posts) -

@Fistfulofmetal: Trust me, as someone who played the game completely fresh pre-ER (then played through a second time while watching the ER) , there are twists and turns that you'll want to experience for yourself.

@TooWalrus said:

THERE IS NOTHING MORE THAN FUNKY STUDENT!

#17 Posted by probablytuna (3666 posts) -

I'm sort of watching and playing simultaneously, although I stop the ER every now and then when they progress too far and I'll resume it when my playthrough is roughly the same as them.

#18 Posted by mosespippy (4185 posts) -

I got to episode 30 then bought it. Played it to catch up to the ER and then did them in tandem till about episode 110 when I got busy and dropped both. Eventually finished the game and then finished the ER. I've played the game again since then and will probably end up getting P4G and playing that 3 or 4 times. I say stop the ER now and play the game.

#19 Posted by TooWalrus (13203 posts) -

@Undeadpool: ...

#20 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4678 posts) -

I say playing a game yourself is always prefered over watching other play and talk and talk over it. I watch a bit of each endurance run but stoped because I'd rather pay attention to the story than have Jeff and Vinny comment over it. Even when I tried to go back after having beat the game myself.

#21 Posted by Petiew (1348 posts) -

I feel like playing it first and then watching the Endurance run is the best experience.
If you watch the ER first you already know the story, dialogue, etc so playing the same parts yourself with no funny commentary won't be as fun. If you've played the game first before discovering the ER, like I did, you'll have more fun. You get to experience all the twists and events for the first time yourself and then see how VInny and Jeff react to the same stuff.
Parts where they came up with personalities for personas like Black Frost, Ghoul and Creepy Bird Man who's name I can't remember was great because I played through the game and barely gave them a second glance. I'd used Birdman throughout the game and never thought of how messed up his design was. Seeing the way they reacted to him or Yosuke wearing his ski jacket at night was hillarious.

#22 Posted by tengblad (5 posts) -

I'm doing both! Watching (or more like listening) to the Endurance Run while I'm grinding through dungeons to collect money/experience. It's the best of both worlds.

#23 Posted by laserbolts (5322 posts) -

Its an extremely boring and tedious game to play but I loved the ER.

#24 Edited by Wrighteous86 (3782 posts) -

Wait,

Crazy that I remember that.

#25 Posted by Undeadpool (4943 posts) -

@TooWalrus: Yoooou heard me. And c'moooon, yeah they have a lot of running gags in the ER, but it's all for great laughs AND they're completely invested in the characters/plot by the end.