#1 Posted by c0l0nelp0c0rn1 (1809 posts) -

I was thinking about this after I pre-ordered Darksiders II.

Why don't companies offer their season passes as the incentive for buying new? They could only offer the season pass to people who buy the game new, and then nickel-and-dime on DLC like they're going to do anyway. While the obvious way to fix it would be to have Gamestop give the developers a cut of used sales, but the only successful relationship like that was with WB and Batman: Arkham City. Bundling the Season Pass in is value added for early adopters, and doesn't take anything away from the boxed release for those that want to buy used. So, what do you guys think? Is my new and exciting faux-DRM solution awesome or what?

#2 Posted by bwheeeler (459 posts) -

Because that would essentially cut profits from DLC entirely?

#3 Edited by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@bwheeeler said:

Because that would essentially cut profits from DLC entirely?

Ding ding ding! We have a correct answer!

#4 Posted by Morningstar (2185 posts) -

Nice try though =)

#5 Posted by c0l0nelp0c0rn1 (1809 posts) -

No...Because...10 dollars...and, and.....

Okay....

#6 Edited by crusader8463 (14423 posts) -

It would only work to boost initial sales if they sticked to their guns and said that the only way to buy this as a bundle is to buy it as a pre-order, and that if you do not buy it now you will pay more for it after the fact to get it all. They would then need to bundle it as some kind of special edition and tac on an extra amount equal to the final amount that it would cost for the DLC alone minus 5%-10% of the cost. But at that point it only appeals to people who will want EVERYTHING that will come out so they would need to announce what all the DLC will be long before they even start working on most of it or why would you blindly invest in something without knowing what you will get? Even then though, if you end up not wanting one or two of the items then at that point it would be cheaper to buy it one at a time and that invalidates the whole thing.

Since everything these days is one game in a franchise, what I think they should do is put some kind of code on each game and a few weeks before the next game comes out if you apply that code online you get some kind of discount on the newest version. Then if you apply both codes for game three you get an even bigger one. etc. etc.

#7 Posted by c0l0nelp0c0rn1 (1809 posts) -

I just feel like they need to include their project 10 dollar thing with whatever season pass you buy, no matter when you buy it.

#8 Posted by Clonedzero (4200 posts) -

i must be the only person who doesnt mind the "buy new to get online pass" or whatever stuff they're doing. its a brilliant thing to ensure new copies get sold. i dont mind it at all, i buy my games new and i completely understand why they'd start this thing.

#9 Posted by Hunter5024 (5805 posts) -

Preorders are slimy enough as it is. There are almost no games that I am certain I want to buy before they even come out, let alone all the DLC for it.

#10 Posted by Dagbiker (6978 posts) -

@c0l0nelp0c0rn1: I think because the value they get from having you keep your game is not equal to the value of paying a team of developers to make content for free.

#11 Posted by 234r2we232 (3181 posts) -

You should be buying new anyway... unless it's some annual EA game.

#12 Posted by mrpandaman (866 posts) -

@Clonedzero said:

i must be the only person who doesnt mind the "buy new to get online pass" or whatever stuff they're doing. its a brilliant thing to ensure new copies get sold. i dont mind it at all, i buy my games new and i completely understand why they'd start this thing.

Nope you're not the only one. Online passes weren't ever really a "problem" because they never made the new game cost more than the used copy. As someone on some other forum topic said, online passes are basically pc games' CD keys.

#13 Posted by c0l0nelp0c0rn1 (1809 posts) -

I just feel like publishers should not offer the DLC season pass without including that project ten dollar thing. Maybe put the season pass in the collector's editions so I can actually justify spending $100 on one game?