We need to come up with a label for games like Bayonetta.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#1  Edited By Icemael

They've been called many things: "stylish action games", "character action games", "hero action games". Those games. The games that, while they have their roots in beat 'em ups and hack 'n slashers, sort of transcend those genres. Most people shun the aforementioned labels (and for good reason; they all sound horrible), simply calling them "action games", but that's far too vague; after all, games like Gears of War and Bioshock are action games, too. So we need to come up with a label once and for all. One that distinguishes games like Bayonetta and Devil May Cry from brawlers like No More Heroes and God Hand, while also rolling off the tongue easier than "stylish action games".

I propose "progressive beat 'em ups".

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By napalm

Stylish action games work fine for their label. People don't really worry too much about properly categorizing videogames into established genres anyway.

ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 64

#3  Edited By ahoodedfigure

I feel like these games are subsets of brawlers.  3D brawlers, I guess.  Where does "brawler" sit with everyone on this?  When I think Bayonetta or Devil May Cry, I think of it as this generation's version of Streets of Rage, where you try to set up combos that increase your performance, no matter what the particular performance is, or how stylish or complex things get the more skilled you are.  

I'd like someone to lay out WHY the games are different from, say, No More Heroes or God Hand.  What do you feel makes them different, on a gameplay level?

Cerza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Cerza

I thought Ryan put it best in his review of Bayonetta. "Fucking ridiculous."

Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By Bones8677
@Cerza said:

" I thought Ryan put it best in his review of Bayonetta. "Fucking ridiculous." "

No, I put it best when I described Bayonetta as "Toobular Boobular."

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By napalm
@ahoodedfigure said:
" I feel like these games are subsets of brawlers.  3D brawlers, I guess.  Where does "brawler" sit with everyone on this?  When I think Bayonetta or Devil May Cry, I think of it as this generation's version of Streets of Rage, where you try to set up combos that increase your performance, no matter what the particular performance is, or how stylish or complex things get the more skilled you are.    I'd like someone to lay out WHY the games are different from, say, No More Heroes or God Hand.  What do you feel makes them different, on a gameplay level? "
Godhand is the great game ever made.

GODHAND, is the greatest game, ever made!
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ryanwho

Your examples for action games are shooters. Action game isn't too vague, if you don't qualify it with anything else like shooter or adventure it evokes a very specific kind of game.

Musicom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Musicom

" Progressive beat 'em ups" sounds a little pretentious. Don't really see the problem with just calling them action games. When you say "action game", 9/10 gamers will think God of War or Ninja Gaiden. Gears and Bioshock, say, people think "shooter" first and foremost, so there's not much confusion.

Jost1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 17

#9  Edited By Jost1

Surreal Action Game 

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By penguindust

How about "Splashy Actioneer"?  I do think there should be a better name that what we've been working with so far.  I'm a little sick of the "it's a DMC style game" used to describe all these high-action showcase games.  And, while I never confused Ninja Gaiden with Gears of War, I do think there should be a more definitive distinction between Bayonetta, an action game and Uncharted, also an action game. 

Korne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By Korne

Bayonetta, DMC, Ninja Gaiden, GOW, ect... should be called Hack n Slashers.  

God Hand, Watchmen TEIN, Viewtiful Joe, NMH, ect.... should be called Beat em Ups or Brawlers. 

Hack n Slashers have a tendency to promote the player for being stylish. Now, I understand GOW is kinda close to a Brawler, and Viewtiful Joe is close to a Hack n Slash, but this is the way I see it. We don't need new names for them. And if we did, we would go the way of the RPG and call them Japanese Action Games and Western Action Games.

Xandurson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By Xandurson

I don't know what to call it but anything that sticks with the acronym S.A.G. is good in my book.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Icemael
@ryanwho said:

" Your examples for action games are shooters. Action game isn't too vague, if you don't qualify it with anything else like shooter or adventure it evokes a very specific kind of game. "

Shooter is a subgenre of action, and so are hack 'n slash and beat 'em up. When someone says "action games" without specifically naming Bayonetta, Devil May Cry or Ninja Gaiden, I interpret it as exactly what he or she is saying; action games. Bayonetta and Ninja Gaiden, sure, but also Gears of War, No More Heroes, and Uncharted.

@ahoodedfigure

said: 

"I'd like someone to lay out WHY the games are different from, say, No More Heroes or God Hand.  What do you feel makes them different, on a gameplay level? "

The same thing that makes a driving simulator different from an arcade racer: degree of complexity. Also, diversity. No More Heroes and God Hand are solely about punching and slashing and, well, beating people up in different ways. Bayonetta and Devil May Cry aren't just about punching and slashing; they're also very much about shooting.

Try and imagine, say, Bad Dudes, if you always had a pair of guns at your disposal. Would you still classify that as simply a "beat 'em up"?
Musicom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Musicom

Going to be a ton of splitting hairs here.

SlowHands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By SlowHands
@GamerGeek360:  Bayonetta XVIII: SAG 

Honestly, stylish action game is fine, I think.
Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Icemael
@SlowHands said:

" @GamerGeek360:  Bayonetta XVIII: SAG  Honestly, stylish action game is fine, I think. "

Bayonetta 2: S.A.Ggy Boobs

The reason I don't like "stylish action" game, aside from the fact that it sounds horrible, is that it doesn't really say anything about the games. "They're action games! Except stylish!"
FuzzYLemoN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By FuzzYLemoN

What's wrong with third person action?

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Icemael
@FuzzYLemoN said:
" What's wrong with third person action? "
Too vague. Bayonetta and Devil May Cry are third-person action games, but so are Uncharted 2, Lost Planet and No More Heroes.
Astras

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#19  Edited By Astras

Alternative action

FuzzYLemoN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By FuzzYLemoN
@Icemael said:
" @FuzzYLemoN said:
" What's wrong with third person action? "
Too vague. Bayonetta and Devil May Cry are third-person action games, but so are Uncharted 2, Lost Planet and No More Heroes. "
I think of Uncharted 2 & Lost Planet as third person shooters. There's a difference between the two, to me at least.
Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Tennmuerti
@Icemael said:

but that's far too vague; after all, games like Gears of War and Bioshock are action games, too.

Those are TPS and FPS respectively.
Action game does not mean what it used to.
After all people don't go around calling games like Bioshock or Borderlands RPGs even if it is technically correct to an extent. But then again terms Action and RPG can be technically prescribed to almost every game out there, but they should not be and generally are not.
To me if people say action (wihtout adding anything else) creates a very clear image in my mind of the type of game. I agree completely with @ryanwho: 
Plus both  "stylish action games" and  "progressive beat 'em ups"  sound horrible :P 

@Icemael said:

The same thing that makes a driving simulator different from an arcade racer: degree of complexity. Also, diversity. No More Heroes and God Hand are solely about punching and slashing and, well, beating people up in different ways. Bayonetta and Devil May Cry aren't just about punching and slashing; they're also very much about shooting. Try and imagine, say, Bad Dudes, if you always had a pair of guns at your disposal. Would you still classify that as simply a "beat 'em up"? "

Interestingly enough driving simulator and arcade racer ganeres have been merging quite heavily these last years with games trying to offer both playstyles with degrees in between.
Wait wait are you sugesting that a difference in the ganre should be whether or not you have a secondary attack option of shooting as well as attacking with a sword? Cmon man :/
Should we clasify GoW differently if you could use a gun instead of bow?

Classification of games into genres is a funny business anyway as they evolve so fast and try out different stuff. :)
MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#22  Edited By MysteriousBob

How to classify God Hand and Bayonetta? I have one: "Spectacular Games". 

Seriously though, "action games" is good enough. They're too unique to put together.

gike987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By gike987

It's an Action-game. First person shooter or  Third person shooter if you shoot things and action-adventure if the game has exploration or puzzels.  You don't need more than that.

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#24  Edited By Little_Socrates

I think it's more interesting when we tear down the genre lines, myself. If you try to categorize every game, you wind up with a pantry rather than a library. Genres are constantly changing, even within franchises. Take a look at the Mario franchise, the Sonic franchise, and the Resident Evil franchise, respectively. If you try to classify each of those games in a genre, can you honestly say that the original titles are the same genre as their more recent endeavors? Barring intentionally retro-inspired games such as New Super Mario Bros. and Sonic the Hedgehog 4, of course. 

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By napalm
@Korne said:

" Bayonetta, DMC, Ninja Gaiden, GOW, ect... should be called Hack n Slashers.    God Hand, Watchmen TEIN, Viewtiful Joe, NMH, ect.... should be called Beat em Ups or Brawlers.  Hack n Slashers have a tendency to promote the player for being stylish. Now, I understand GOW is kinda close to a Brawler, and Viewtiful Joe is close to a Hack n Slash, but this is the way I see it. We don't need new names for them. And if we did, we would go the way of the RPG and call them Japanese Action Games and Western Action Games. "

Godhand is the great game ever made.

GODHAND, is the greatest game, ever made
Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#26  Edited By Whisperkill

Character Action Games 

there already is one

Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#27  Edited By Kyreo
@Korne said:
" Bayonetta, DMC, Ninja Gaiden, GOW, ect... should be called Hack n Slashers.    God Hand, Watchmen TEIN, Viewtiful Joe, NMH, ect.... should be called Beat em Ups or Brawlers.  Hack n Slashers have a tendency to promote the player for being stylish. Now, I understand GOW is kinda close to a Brawler, and Viewtiful Joe is close to a Hack n Slash, but this is the way I see it. We don't need new names for them. And if we did, we would go the way of the RPG and call them Japanese Action Games and Western Action Games. "
I like this idea....
Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Icemael
@Tennmuerti said:

" @Icemael said:

but that's far too vague; after all, games like Gears of War and Bioshock are action games, too.

Those are TPS and FPS respectively.
Action game does not mean what it used to.
After all people don't go around calling games like Bioshock or Borderlands RPGs even if it is technically correct to an extent. But then again terms Action and RPG can be technically prescribed to almost every game out there, but they should not be and generally are not."
Shooter is a subgenre of action, much like beat 'em up. And Bioshock isn't an RPG; it's an action game with very light RPG elements. Furthermore, neither the action nor the RPG genre encompasses "almost every game out there". Platformers, puzzle games, adventure games, racing games, sports games; none of these are RPGs or action games. 

@Tennmuerti said:

"To me if people say action (wihtout adding anything else) creates a very clear image in my mind of the type of game. I agree completely with @ryanwho:"

So if someone said "you know of any good action games that have come out lately?" or "are there any good action games for the Playstation 3?", you wouldn't think of games like Uncharted 2? Because I definitely would. 

And if you listen to people talking about games like Bayonetta, whether it be in podcasts or in real life, they never say "action game". They say "Devil May Cry-style action game".

@Tennmuerti said:

"Plus both  "stylish action games" and  "progressive beat 'em ups"  sound horrible :P"

I know "progressive beat 'em up" doesn't sound great, but you've gotta admit that it's better than "stylish action game". 

@Tennmuerti

said:

"Wait wait are you sugesting that a difference in the ganre should be whether or not you have a secondary attack option of shooting as well as attacking with a sword? Cmon man :/ Should we clasify GoW differently if you could use a gun instead of bow?"

In God of War, the bow is a very minor weapon. It's weak, you can't fire it indefinitely, and since the Blades have such good range, you very rarely have reason to use it. In Bayonetta and Devil May Cry, you're constantly using your guns. Games that put so much emphasis on ranged combat can't really be classified simply as "beat 'em ups", just as a game that puts as much emphasis on puzzles as Metroid Prime can't be classified simply as a "first-person shooter".
Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Ghostiet

RTBS - Real Time Batshit Slasher.

Avatar image for saturdaynightspecials
SaturdayNightSpecials

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

I just call them action games. There's a better name for anything else that could be classified as "action".

Korne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Korne

Don't make them too vague, but don't make them too specialized. Look at RPGs, you have WRPGs and JRPGs. From those you have Isometric WRPGs, PnC WRPG, RT JRPG, Turn Based JRPG, Strategy JRPG. 

I just like the idea of Hack n Slash vs Brawler, and from there, we can have Japanese Hack n Slash (DMC), Western HnS (GOW), ect.
Lawrens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Lawrens

Do it like films, list them under several category depend on the elements it has: action/martial art/comedy/blah blah  

It feels like games like godhand while being a brawler, have a lot of parodies and homage to martial art style of moves, which distinguish it from something like god of war or dmc. 

Similar to how Remedy is trying to call Alan wake a thriller, not a shooter or survival horror, even though it could also be listed under those as well.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By CptBedlam

These are "Brawlers", just in 3D. You kick dudes until they are all dead and then the level continues. Same as in good old Double Dragon & Co.

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#34  Edited By trophyhunter

you mean character action?
what everyone already calls it

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#35  Edited By Video_Game_King

Yahtzee calls them spectacle fighters, but since you really can't trust anything he says, we're back at square one. Therefore, I propose that we call them "combat mashers." It sums it up perfectly: combat-oriented button mashers :P.

Ryax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Ryax
@Bones8677 said:
" @Cerza said:

" I thought Ryan put it best in his review of Bayonetta. "Fucking ridiculous." "

No, I put it best when I described Bayonetta as "Toobular Boobular."

"
oh god the good old days!
Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#37  Edited By Jadeskye

Crazy Japanese Insanity games. 

CJI

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Icemael
@trophyhunter said:
" you mean character action? what everyone already calls it "
The only ones (and I do mean the only ones) I've heard call it "character action" are the GiantBomb guys, and not even they seem too keen on it.
Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#39  Edited By Shadow

That's like demanding to come up with something to describe first person shooters other than "first person shooter" to describe M.A.G. just to differenciate itself from Modern Warfare.
Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Icemael
@Shadow said:
" That's like demanding to come up with something to describe first person shooters other than "first person shooter" to describe M.A.G. just to differenciate itself from Modern Warfare. "
No, it's like demanding labels to differentiate games like Modern Warfare from games like Metroid Prime. Which isn't necessary, because people realized the need to differentiate the two, and decided to call Metroid Prime a "first-person action adventure". 

And in the same way, people have realized that there's a need to differentiate games like God Hand from games like Bayonetta. Problem is, all the labels they've come up with are horrible, and nobody want to use them (when was the last time you heard someone use the terms "stylish action game" or "character action game" without having doubt in their voice, or making fun of how stupid it is?), so instead, people just call them "Devil May Cry-style action games". That's not a great label.
nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#41  Edited By nintendoeats

Quoth "Yahtsee" Crashaw: Spectacle Fighters.

He then made several jokes about that, but I think its a good way of putting it.

amir90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By amir90

I like calling them stylish hack n slash

Avatar image for dad_is_a_zombie
Dad_Is_A_Zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Dad_Is_A_Zombie

There's already a label. It's a Beat 'em Up. I just finished it and really enjoyed it. It's got much more pizzazz than most but at the end of the day it's just hitting combos and moving on to the next boss battle.