weapon combos you always use

spyder335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

I always seem to use the same weapon combo in all shooters, shotgun and high power hand gun (desert eagle, big revolvers, hand cannon).

and in fantasy games daggers and bows

anyone else have a combo they constantly use?

Zekhariah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Zekhariah

Whatever the assault rifle is that has a "reflex" scope. In military shooters anyway, or games with "authentic" weapons. I'm pretty bad at games, and usually the levels are designed to be solved using an assault rifle (aside from very specific sniper sections - but a lot of games let you just use the assault rifle 100% of the time due to its extreme accuracy).

Not as much preference in fantasy though. Two-handed longsword if I can, but usually all of the options work. Maybe that is why military shooters seem so reductive.

Avatar image for chainreaction01
chainreaction01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

When given the opportunity, I will punch the living shit out of everything in sight. Feels really good especially in games like Fallout where you have dude in fancy power armor with plasma weapons and I charge his ass with a pair of brass knuckles. In games were I actually have to use guns I tend to go shotgun/magnum route as well.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

I gravitate towards shotguns and sniper rifles.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ff27cb4e1513
deactivated-5ff27cb4e1513

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If a game has the equivalent of the Quake IIrailgun, I will use it almost exclusively once I get it.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#6  Edited By DarthOrange

Square Square Triangle.

In all seriousness sniper rifle plus normal pistol (with a silencer when available) are usually my go to when available but I like to use a bit of everything.

tnecniv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Whatever the silent option is. In games with the option, I always try to be as nonlethal as possible as well, but I don't obsess over it

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

I usually will use an assault rifle and stick with even the most basic of handguns. I just like glocking fools.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Clonedzero

i tend to try and keep a sidearm, pistol, small smg that sort, with any full sized gun, assault rifle, shotgun, sniper rifle ect.

simply for the realism factor. i mean sure you can carry two rifles. it'd just be weird. right? thats weird.

in both skyrim and dark souls i'm all about the sword and shield. though i hate when fantasy games strictly force the sword and shield into a strictly defensive tank role. i wanna pimp slap bitches with my shield, not be a meat shield.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By Justin258

We need more shooters where you can hold all of the guns. Being limited to two is getting more and more annoying, lame, and grating as time goes on. It makes sense in Call of Duty, it works in Halo, but it almost always limits how creatively I can approach battles and how much fun I have with the game, so much so that it's one of the few real complaints I have with Bioshock Infinite.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#11  Edited By BeachThunder

We need more shooters where you can hold all of the guns. Being limited to two is getting more and more annoying, lame, and grating as time goes on. It makes sense in Call of Duty, it works in Halo, but it almost always limits how creatively I can approach battles and how much fun I have with the game, so much so that it's one of the few real complaints I have with Bioshock Infinite.

Imagine how amazing Borderlands would be if you could just scroll through 87 bazillion guns.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@believer258 said:

Imagine how amazing Borderlands would be if you could just scroll through 87 bazillion guns.

That's a special case because you can hold 87 bazillion guns, plus you can keep a good variety on you anyways.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

Sniper Rifle / Battle Rifle

Avatar image for willthemagicasian
WilltheMagicAsian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

colt/ak/rl/rg

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

Semi-Auto Assault Rifle usually with a 9MM side arm. Semi Auto is more than enough to get kills, usually much more accurate, and saves ammo. 9MM has a higher round count and rate of fire over larger caliber handguns and has pretty low recoil making for easy follow up shots. Sometimes I'll go with a semi-auto precision rifle though. Something with a good rate of fire.

If it's a game that takes place in a "realistic" conflict, for lack of a better way to put it, I usually try to avoid running around with a rocket launcher and an Uzi.

In ArmA I tend to go with a Battle Rifle (essentially an assault rifle that fires higher caliber rounds, ie 7.62, with long range optics) and an M4 with me, sticking to the M4 until I find an overwatch position.

In Halo though, it's the opposite. Shotgun and Magnum all the way.

For melee games, I tend to stick to the middle. A "long sword" (which, by the way, isn't really what most games call a long sword, because a long sword is a claymore style weapon. Hand and a half sword would be most accurate for what I like to use) and a shield, for example. Nothing too big and cumbersome but big enough to do some damage and potentially be wielded two handed. I like the feel of a sword and shield.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

In fantasy I'll play with a melee character if at all possible, unless the other character types are just straight up more fun. In shooters it really depends, I try to use almost every weapon and figure out which ones are the most useful as I go along. In something like Assassin's Creed I also try to use everything and in the multiplayer I try to avoid super generic builds and stick to builds that manipulate game flow and pacing (morph for me, lure and a few other abilities could be used as well).

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#17  Edited By JasonR86

In games that are shooters only I use something that shoots quickly and is good from medium distance (like an assault rifle) and something that shoots accurately from a distance and is usually a single shot (so like a carbine). In melee games I go with heavy damage over everything else even if that thing is slow to use. Unless it's a Souls game. Then it's heavy damage with one hit but allows for a quick way to run away (maces for example).

EDIT:

I also rarely ever use magic in games that allow it except to heal myself. I also never use archery or distance item/weapons in fantasy games that have a melee option.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Ravenlight

I usually buff up my Speech/Persuasion and convince my enemies to kill themselves. The John Henry Eden encounter in Fallout 3 remains one of my favorite bosses for this reason alone.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Usually a Sniper and a Shotgun. Sniper is dependant on level design, however. Now I miss using my stealth shotgun strategy in CoD4.

myniceicelife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I tend to always stick with semi-auto and sniper rifles in most games. For other non-shooters, I used to play all melee but have gone to ranged (archers/mages) characters.

rpgee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In any sort of shooter, I love having a big ol' hand cannon that will blow enemies away in one hit. It's completely impractical, because there's usually barely any ammo for it and it's inaccurate as hell, but there's something satisfying about its ludicrousness. It's pretty much how I played Far Cry 3, Mass Effect 3, and all sorts of other games these days. I'll usually have a semi-automatic scoped rifle in reserve for good measure.

As for RPGs/fantasy, I tend to go for long range, with a bow, a pike, a spear or something like that. And I'll usually be going for a stealth route as well. I was pretty happy with that choice in Skyrim.

ShockD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In RPGs I rarely use magic. I usually go either two-handed big ass sword or sword & shield. Magic only for healing.

In FPSs I really like to play with bazookas and grenade launchers. Now that doesn't apply in CS (I buy whatever I have the money for there) but I do abuse the grenade launchers in CoD and L4D.

espm400

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Although it depends upon the game, I usually roll with a long rifle. Mind you the only shooter I've been playing with any regularity is DayZ, in which case I usually have either a DMR or an M16 with an ACOG along with a silenced weapon of some kind (either the hatchet or M9 SD if I can find one). As for fantasy type games, I tend to go with dual swords and a bow if they're available.

ssj4raditz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

High-capacity machine gun/assault rifle for pray and spray; shotgun for everything else.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By 49th  Online

I usually use mid-range weapons like rifles with a pistols or revolver, simply because revolvers are badass. I don't like sniper rifles and I don't use shotguns too often.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

Sniper Rifle/ Rocket launcher

MeganeAgain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By MeganeAgain

In FPS, I typically go for an assault rifle and an SMG. I like playing a close-mid range game. Unfortunately, I tend to pigeon-hole myself into this playstyle, and get myself in trouble in certain games and maps.

Morbid_Coffee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Morbid_Coffee

Knife and Knifegun or Fist and Fistknife

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In FPS, other than never using long range scopes, I don't really stick to the same type of weapons. I hate slow weaponry when it comes to reloading but other than that I generally will pick up different weapons and just use what's around. Although in more fantasy-style FPS, I never use projectile-weapons (like the needler in Halo).

In fantasy games - always swords. They are just so cool. (Though I don't tend to play the kind of games where I can pick a weapon to use - usually sticking to something where it is set for you/per character - like Zelda or Final Fantasy).

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

If the game has a pistol with decent range, I tend to roll with a pistol and shotgun.

I go with the sniper rifle in FPS games if they allow an SMG as a secondary weapon.

My last combo is an assault rifle and a grenade launcher/RPG (if the game allows it). I use the assault rifle for all combat scenarios and bust out the grenade launcher/RPG in moments of "Oh shit! Need to fire the I WIN button now!"

Avatar image for selfconfessedcynic
selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

My favourite 2-weapon combo in shooters is an Assault Rifle with a red-dot and a Sniper on the swap. I'm all about the ranged game - but then, I don't play shooters multiplayer.

In fantasy, I just do damage calculations until I find a good balance of survivability, mobility and raw output then go with whatever gives me that (it tends to be axes or swords depending on the universe, except Dark Souls in which it turned out to be the Great Scythe).

Vextroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

SMG+Shotgun

Caustic_Fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Caustic_Fox

For shooters, I like having a nice machine pistol. For the larger variety, LMG is my thing. If the shooter supports it, I drop everything and go with a crossbow. (Half-Life 2, Bioshock)

For fantasy, I'll use Skyrim as an example. I usually dual wield magic and single handed weapons (Axes, maces... which ever does more damage currently.)

For fighting games, if the game supports it, I like using a scythe as the main weapon.

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I only have a specific preference for one game: I will not play Bastion with anything other than the rifle and shotgun. The reason is that you can fire them in rapid succession, doing large quantity of damage in the process. They are both single shot with long-ish recovery, but recovery can be cancelled when switching between weapons. So, fire rifle then immediately shotgun results in a rapid 1-2.

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By TheSouthernDandy

When given the opportunity, I will punch the living shit out of everything in sight. Feels really good especially in games like Fallout where you have dude in fancy power armor with plasma weapons and I charge his ass with a pair of brass knuckles. In games were I actually have to use guns I tend to go shotgun/magnum route as well.

Alright the first line of this almost made me spit my lunch out. Nice work.

If there's a sniper rifle in a game, I will grab said sniper rifle. Unless it's completely useless for whatever game I'm playing, that's my go to gun.

Basm321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Basm321

The stealthiest option. Daggers, bow, silenced pistol, ect

cbk486

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Shotgun/ Assault rifle

Accept no substitutes.

Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

I'm a shotgun-SMG guy; shotgun was my go-to weapon in BioShock Infinite, and I played through RAGE recently and the shotgun was one of my favourite things about that game. I always liked SMGs more than assault rifles, and prefer high-power one-handed guns like magnums/revolvers over pistols. I really enjoy sniping in some games and hate it in others. In fantasy games, I'm much more flexible. I've tended in recent times to gravitate more towards magic users, but in my main Skyrim playthrough I played a two-handed weapons brute with a little bit of magic.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

Sword/Shield
Shotgun/Magnum

If possible I like to play games with the shotgun only. Could be a cool video series: Shotgun Run

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By veektarius

I'll typically go with a decent medium ranged weapon, such as a burst fire assault rifle like the Battle Rifle (in Bioshock it was the hand cannon) and my backup is something explosive for difficult enemies. I'd sooner be constantly rotating primary weapons for whatever has ammo than waste my rocket launcher if there's even one rocket in the tube, or sometimes even when there are no rockets when it is the type of game where you can find ammo independent of the weapons themselves.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By AlexW00d

It really depends on the game/situation, but in Arma 2 I would usually go with something that fires 7.62mm bullets for the range and stopping power, usually with a red dot, unless I playing designated sniper, then it would be more than likely something that shoots .338s.

If it's a single player fps I will usually try and either mix it up, or just not go with the 'best' gun. For example the first bioshock I used the wrench exclusively, and in Infinite I used the pistol for almost the whole game.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

In shooters it's always Shotguns first, followed by handguns of all sizes, folowed by HELL OF EXPLOSIVES. Nothing else ever. Snipers and Assaut Rifles are the most boring shit. Well ok, some snipers are bolt-action, I can dig that.

I'm too much of a massive fan of swords and blade design. There is just so much room for awesome! Always, always swords when I can.

Unarmed is cool too if it feels well made.

spyder335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#44  Edited By spyder335

@tobbrobb said:

In shooters it's always Shotguns first, followed by handguns of all sizes, folowed by HELL OF EXPLOSIVES. Nothing else ever. Snipers and Assaut Rifles are the most boring shit. Well ok, some snipers are bolt-action, I can dig that.

I'm too much of a massive fan of swords and blade design. There is just so much room for awesome! Always, always swords when I can.

Unarmed is cool too if it feels well made.

the only game ive played where unarmed really felt right was chronicles of riddick, would really love that system in skyrim.