Wednesday at GDC: Modern Warfare 2, Punch-Out!!, New Zelda DS, Podcast Armageddon

• 75 results
jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 20

Edited By jeff
OK, stop what you're doing and watch this trailer if you haven't seen it already. It's for Infinity Ward's next game, Modern Warfare 2.

Head over to www.modernwarfare2.com if you want a higher-quality stream of the clip. You might have noticed that there's no mention of "Call of Duty" anywhere in there. Weird, right? It's one of those moments where you think back and realize that when referring to the game recently, people "in the know" have just been calling it Modern Warfare 2. This trailer debuted at the GDC awards.

Punch-Out!! for the Wii is available for play on the show floor, and you know what? It's totally Punch-Out!!. I was kind of shocked by how similar it is to the old games. You can throw rights and lefts, to the body or the head, and if you earn a star punch you can unleash it by holding A on the Wii Remote and throwing a punch. I played with the motion controls, which seemed just fine. But you can also go classic and play with just a sideways Wii Remote, like you were rocking an NES controller. I beat the living croissants out of Glass Joe, for the record. It looks great, but I can't help but feel weird about it. I mean... it's the same game with some new boxers in it. My nostalgic side gives that a Gabby Jay-style "yay!" Then I get all cynical and start dissecting it. It's kind of a basic remake that looks great but feels a little too simple and pattern-heavy for 2009. I'm still mulling it over, but... yeeeeah, it's pretty cool.

Along with the new Wii System Menu, which now supports bigger SDHC cards, Nintendo unveiled a new DS game this morning, The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks. "Tracks" meaning "train tracks." 

Trains! Sure, why not? It'll be out later this year.

We ran around shooting some video that you'll see next week, and we also pulled together a hefty crew of guests for a podcast, which Ryan is working on posting right now. Here's a shot I snapped while that was going down.

No Caption Provided
You may recognize a few of the people in this blurry shot. You may also recognize that the iPhone camera is kind of bad.

We're heading back to the show tomorrow for more of the same. While things probably won't be very announcement-heavy (though Hideo Kojima is speaking tomorrow morning, so you never know), there will be more panels, more games to see, and we'll be rounding up another posse for another podcast. Word.
jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#1  Edited By jeff
OK, stop what you're doing and watch this trailer if you haven't seen it already. It's for Infinity Ward's next game, Modern Warfare 2.

Head over to www.modernwarfare2.com if you want a higher-quality stream of the clip. You might have noticed that there's no mention of "Call of Duty" anywhere in there. Weird, right? It's one of those moments where you think back and realize that when referring to the game recently, people "in the know" have just been calling it Modern Warfare 2. This trailer debuted at the GDC awards.

Punch-Out!! for the Wii is available for play on the show floor, and you know what? It's totally Punch-Out!!. I was kind of shocked by how similar it is to the old games. You can throw rights and lefts, to the body or the head, and if you earn a star punch you can unleash it by holding A on the Wii Remote and throwing a punch. I played with the motion controls, which seemed just fine. But you can also go classic and play with just a sideways Wii Remote, like you were rocking an NES controller. I beat the living croissants out of Glass Joe, for the record. It looks great, but I can't help but feel weird about it. I mean... it's the same game with some new boxers in it. My nostalgic side gives that a Gabby Jay-style "yay!" Then I get all cynical and start dissecting it. It's kind of a basic remake that looks great but feels a little too simple and pattern-heavy for 2009. I'm still mulling it over, but... yeeeeah, it's pretty cool.

Along with the new Wii System Menu, which now supports bigger SDHC cards, Nintendo unveiled a new DS game this morning, The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks. "Tracks" meaning "train tracks." 

Trains! Sure, why not? It'll be out later this year.

We ran around shooting some video that you'll see next week, and we also pulled together a hefty crew of guests for a podcast, which Ryan is working on posting right now. Here's a shot I snapped while that was going down.

No Caption Provided
You may recognize a few of the people in this blurry shot. You may also recognize that the iPhone camera is kind of bad.

We're heading back to the show tomorrow for more of the same. While things probably won't be very announcement-heavy (though Hideo Kojima is speaking tomorrow morning, so you never know), there will be more panels, more games to see, and we'll be rounding up another posse for another podcast. Word.
Avatar image for deactivated-58efb53e06a03
deactivated-58efb53e06a03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

Yay, multiple men on one bed! Giantbombs officially indorsed slumber party.

lamegame621

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By lamegame621

AWESOME!!!!

PremierOctopus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By PremierOctopus

I second that. Does this mean we'll get to listen to the podcast soon?

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Al3xand3r

Meh. Punch-Out!! rocks and the available media of it are far cooler than that MW2 teaser showing pretty much nothing, not to mention you can finally own a friend in 2 player and the boasting of the studio claiming the DVD is packed to the brim with unlockable extras puts replay value doubts to rest. I see Punch-Out!! in a similar way to SFIV myself, bringing a great classic up to date for both the old and new gen to enjoy equally well. Changing the formula too much would have ruined it, it's still a unique franchise, and the patterns of the returning enemies HAVE been enhanced unlike reports, since even the recent trailer shows King Hippo use moves he didn't have before.

Also, passing the storage solution news over like it's nothing big? Meh.

PercyChuggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By PercyChuggs

Well, there's your one "Core" Nintendo game for the year 2009, Wii owners.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By MrKlorox

Do I see Greg Kasavin?

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Al3xand3r

@ Percy there's also Excitebots and Sin & Punishment 2 so that makes three, not to mention the confirmed Endless Ocean 2 for later in the year and several games we have no dates for as it's so damn early into 2009. If you're so out of the loop, why do you even try?

FCKSNAP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By FCKSNAP

Tell Ryan to just put the podcast up as-is. We want it now!

DJJoeJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#10  Edited By DJJoeJoe

Take footage of your podcasts! RAWR!

mc_ope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By mc_ope

That could be Ryan MacDonald in the back left

Barrier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By Barrier

I can't wait till they start showing gameplay footage of MW2. I totally excited for that game!

brydello

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By brydello

Cant wait for more info on MWF2.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ee2492b629bb
deactivated-5ee2492b629bb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Paul! Greg! Brad! I'm excited.

CoolDrMoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 11

#15  Edited By CoolDrMoney

The only one I recognize is Greg K, and that dude from Mythic. I was expecting Alex, there better be Alex

bulletclip6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By bulletclip6

Modern Warfare 2 is the worst trailer i've ever seen.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Al3xand3r

Why did they put an age limit on that teaser again?

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#18  Edited By lordofultima

Dear god, trailer suits my fancy quite a bit.

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By meteora

'Cause the trailer pretty much implied people got killed during a terrorist attack.

I can't wait for MW2. The teaser might seem shitty or weak but I can deal with it because it was kind of interesting seeing it as a glorified MP3. I think Gears of War 2 pulled one up on us like that too.

GioVANNI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By GioVANNI

Actually, the MW2 teaser showed a LOT.  It looks like homeland terrorism, which probably means no more middle east.

And the point of the teaser is to tease you, and pique your interest, and it definitely worked for me. 

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By meteora

Hey it even says it in the name, eh?

I don't normally watch teasers for games for some reason. A teaser isn't quite like a full fledge trailer.

ChrisInCali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ChrisInCali

Yep, Zelda is officially dead to me.  Trains... I mean, really.  My favorite series right down the toilet.

Lolzhacked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Lolzhacked

This is looking like an epic podcast coming up now, can't wait! =D

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#24  Edited By JJOR64

Kick ass!  I'll listen to the podcast when I wake up.

conojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By conojo

That "Spirit Tracks" trailer really has me less than enthused, since it really just looks like the guys at Nintendo went "Well shoot we need a new zelda game. Let's just take phantom hourglass, replace 'boat' with 'train,' and hope for the best." I was (and am still) hoping that they'd be announcing a real console zelda game, something along the lines of Twilight Princess, instead of "Legend of stylus fighting: Now with Trains."

Also, hell yes Modern Warfare 2 and Punch-Out

MichaelScott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By MichaelScott

"Yep, Zelda is officially dead to me.  Trains... I mean, really.  My favorite series right down the toilet."

That's sort of a stretch. That trailer looked pretty cool.

Just need to know more about it. Is it all about trains?  Or is it another adventure but you have a train that you use for travel. :O

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Al3xand3r

I think watching the whole trailer clears up that question too, and shows some other new features as well, like guiding a little npc thing to distract enemies to then pwn them from behind with Link. It just looks like Zelda to me, no clue if it will be of the better Zeldas or the worse Zeldas but with the franchise's track record thus far better and worse is really nitpicky as almost all are great and there are few games from Nintendo or even other companies that go for this style of action adventure as to consider it oversaturated... Trains rock and/or are no reason to doubt this.

the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#28  Edited By the8bitNacho

Oh man.

Lotan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#29  Edited By Lotan

Can't wait!

innacces14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By innacces14

The MW2 trailer might refer to a prelude to the Mile High Club level in COD4? I don't know. Had a bad day today. That trailer just cheered me the fuck up.....as messed up as it sounds to be happy about the sounds of women and children getting gun down. O_o

Anyways 11-10-09. Looking forward to this date says I. =DDD

RUSKIERAMBO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By RUSKIERAMBO

For some reason the Russian guy in the end says "Revolution is impossible without a revolutionary situation", so it has nothing to do with the mile high club for sure!!! Along with the word in the middle of the trailer "Remember, no Russian" This all means its a Russian separitist movement in America maybe.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By TwoOneFive

that trailer was a bit disturbing they just murdered everyone in a hotel lobby

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Linkyshinks

Awesome stuff all over.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e0ee2ea170
deactivated-5e0e0ee2ea170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

It's a teaser so what do you expect? It's designed to kick up the dust and get everyone talking about the game and it worked. I personally think it was awesome.

GeekDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#35  Edited By GeekDown

Now that's a good looking trailer...which reminds me I really need to play the first one...

killdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By killdave

Modern Warfare 2 - hmmm the graphics look urm ...

So is this for the gameboy original or ...

:p

Hairydutchman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Hairydutchman

Even the Duke Nukem Trilogy trailer is better than the MW2 teaser. Yawn.

TWODOGSz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By TWODOGSz

The teaser is full of info... you just need to slow it down. Brazil is one destination (look for Rio's statue in top left), obviously the airport assault is another (but maybe you play as the terrorists), the Marines return (bottom right american badge on soldier), Venezuela (oil rig on right), Underwater assault (SAS in diving equipment centre of screen)... just slow it down and look close. ;)

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Al3xand3r

I just said it doesn't show much, COD is hardly played for the deep storyline, they present it in awesome ways making you feel all the thrills during gameplay and awesome scenes, but they could make a good COD game if they based it in my back yard if they wanted to, they're just that good. It still doesn't show anything much about how the game's going to be that you can't guess on your own knowing it's a true COD4 sequel. That's all. The teaser was probably good seeing it without knowing what game it is then seeing Modern Warfare 2, but online it's impossible to watch it without knowing and it's underwhelming like that, imo. The media should have just said "next studio's game unveiled" and present it.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By toowalrus

I'm glad they dropped the title down to Modern Warfare 2.

Serraxor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Serraxor

Oh my god. I will get a Live subscription again when MW2 drops, I swear it.

VWGTI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By VWGTI

I noticed that Call of Duty was removed as well. I know Infinity Ward and Treyarch don't get along, which is probably the reason for the changed title, but I can't see this as a good business decision. I would imagine the executives at Activision would want the Call of Duty name attached to this game so more casual people would take notice to the game.

Hmm. This is interesting...

LiveOrDie1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By LiveOrDie1212

wow, bad teaser/trailer. because after watching that, it did not get me excited for MW2 one bit. and the whole gun fireing in a crowded airport terminal, or where ever they are, and hearing the crowd scream in terror as they all get shot is so cheesy and unwarranted. idk, maybe the second or third trailer before the release of the game will change my mind.

Kohe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Kohe321

YES! The Modern Warfare trailer was awesome, and I can't wait to listen to the podcast! Giantbomb ROCKS!

Reverseface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Reverseface

Daaaaaaamn i was hoping for some Gameplay footage in that Modern warfare 2 trailer. Punch-out looks cool who cares if it's all retro anything less than that would of been a disapointment. looking forwards to the EPIC WIN PODACAST BARNETT REPRESENTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTIN

fresh2deafbill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By fresh2deafbill

if you go to the modern warfare 2 website and go to the bottom, it does mention call of duty. just to let everyone know

Spiritof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 27

#47  Edited By Spiritof

Well, it's good to get my "Must Buy" title out of the way for the year 9.

Terrell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#48  Edited By Terrell

Call of duty 4 = Meh
Call of duty World at war = Extra Meh

Im expecting around the same for the next one..... might rent it. MIGHT

Shabs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#49  Edited By Shabs

I wonder if Infinity Ward is disgusted enough with the commodification of their once-original Call of Duty franchise that they are choosing to distance themselves from it and any association with the yearly entries they are not responsible for.

Drebin_893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Drebin_893

Kevin Van Ord!