Weekly Wiki Update - Saturday, August 16th 2014.

bobafettjm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 69

Edited By bobafettjm

This week officially marks my first week back to a sane schedule and the return of more time to work on the wiki. So other than the couple of goals I set out to do I did a little bit of unplanned editing as well. I added a bunch of wrestlers that are in WWE SuperCard to that wiki page. I also did a little cleaning up or adding basic info to various pages I ran across. Today (Saturday) I went out looking for games and ended up getting a complete copy of Total Eclipse for the Commodore 64 and ended up adding the credits from the manual.

Created Pages

A few weeks ago I decided my first goal once returning to my regular schedule was going to be working on filling out more of the pages I created. I have created close to 1600 pages now in the wiki but I am unsatisfied with the amount of content on a lot of those pages. So this week I am starting at the very beginning of the list and am going to fill in more information on as many of them as I possibly can. This will probably be an ongoing project over many, many weeks, but I am excited to get started.

Here are the pages I put a decent amount of content into from my list:

Steam Trading Cards

Nothing too special this week in the world of Steam Trading Cards. I have been noticing that Winter Wolves Studio has been pretty steadily releasing trading cards for all the visual novel games they release on Steam. This week also saw quite a few “retro style” games adding cards.

Here are the games I had to add to the wiki because of the trading cards this week:

Today I noticed a little work had been done on the Pokémon Trading Card Game Online page. I also then noticed that all the work I had previously done needs a big overhaul as the game has now been changed from a browser based game into a client based game where much of it looks and plays differently.

I got a couple of shout outs this week. The first one would be @mento for his work on sorting out the mess that was the games based on Terminator 2, AND making this list of all the Super Famicom/SNES games he has created pages for in his quest FOR THEM ALL.

I also have to point out the page for WWE SuperCard which got filled out really quickly.

@jeff has also started a discussion about whether or not we should simplify the current system of adding friends or enemies to characters here.

Anyone else out there doing some wiki work, let us know what you have been working on or if you have any topics that should be brought up.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 30

#1  Edited By BeachThunder

Hopefully this means Jeff is a step closer to finishing up that style guide.

Also, I suppose I may as well put this out there - I created a page for letter blocks, I'm sure there are a heap of other games out there that have them, if you can think of any, feel free to add them :P

In terms of topics that should be brought up: there are a LOT of games that are listed as being released on January 1 - 99% of which are probably incorrect (Lyne is the one game I know of that was genuinely released on January 1). I believe this is an artefact of the way dates used to work in the wiki.

bobafettjm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@beachthunder: I immediately thought of Fallout 3 for the letter block page. Other than that I KNOW I have seen them in a bunch of games, but of course I can't think of any others.

I am pretty sure that Jan. 1 date thing is leftover from when you had to pick the whole thing.

Mento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 212

#3 Mento  Moderator

Oh boy, that Terminator 2 thing. I'll tell that story, since I'm always hijacking these things:

So the LJN side-scroller brawler Terminator 2: Judgment Day came up on my chronological list of SNES games to check up on. A brief search of the site turned up a page with the NES version of the game as the default image, so that was a relief. However, both the page's text and a majority of the images were related to the Arcade game, which was entirely different: that was the better-known on-rails shooter that would eventually get ported to a bunch of home consoles as "T2: The Arcade Game". Really, then, that page was about the Arcade game and not the side-scroller.

To complicate things I, NuclearWinter and Bobafettjm found four more T2 pages: The first was for a pinball table, so that was clearly best left alone. The second was for the Game Boy version of the Arcade game, with images/text again, even though the page shared the same title as the side-scroller. The third was actually named "T2: The Arcade Game" and referred to, again, the home console ports of the Arcade game. The fourth was a Game Boy game labelled "T2: The Arcade Game" which was otherwise identical to the others.

We didn't actually have a page dedicated to the side-scroller in the end. Just four pages for the Arcade game, half of which were mislabeled. I ended up creating a page for the game I was looking for and deleted three of the superfluous Arcade game pages after consolidating all their images/text into the remaining one. This sort of thing seems to happen frequently with licenses that spawn a lot of home versions, like quiz shows and popular movies. Mostly people just let one page speak for about a dozen different versions created by different developers and publishers for different systems, but it seems the opposite was the case here.

But hey, I got to work on the Super Uno page this week so it's all good.

bobafettjm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mento: I plan on filling in that pinball page if nobody else gets to it before I get my way around to it. Also, I saw that Uno page come up and it actually looks really interesting and possibly fun.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

I just fixed a bunch of broken associations for Lost Odyssey and added a few releases, right at the end of last week or so.

Whatever happens to break associations a while back, seems to be really widespread and as far as I know not compiled anywhere where it's easy to see. Would be nice if if we had a list of everything that was broken. :(

bobafettjm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By bobafettjm

@slag: I can either keep a list or spotlight a list here next week if one is made. I haven't noticed it on too many pages, but I don't tend to do a lot of poking around on the bigger or already well known pages.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

@mento said:

Oh boy, that Terminator 2 thing. I'll tell that story, since I'm always hijacking these things:

So the LJN side-scroller brawler Terminator 2: Judgment Day came up on my chronological list of SNES games to check up on. A brief search of the site turned up a page with the NES version of the game as the default image, so that was a relief. However, both the page's text and a majority of the images were related to the Arcade game, which was entirely different: that was the better-known on-rails shooter that would eventually get ported to a bunch of home consoles as "T2: The Arcade Game". Really, then, that page was about the Arcade game and not the side-scroller.

To complicate things I, NuclearWinter and Bobafettjm found four more T2 pages: The first was for a pinball table, so that was clearly best left alone. The second was for the Game Boy version of the Arcade game, with images/text again, even though the page shared the same title as the side-scroller. The third was actually named "T2: The Arcade Game" and referred to, again, the home console ports of the Arcade game. The fourth was a Game Boy game labelled "T2: The Arcade Game" which was otherwise identical to the others.

We didn't actually have a page dedicated to the side-scroller in the end. Just four pages for the Arcade game, half of which were mislabeled. I ended up creating a page for the game I was looking for and deleted three of the superfluous Arcade game pages after consolidating all their images/text into the remaining one. This sort of thing seems to happen frequently with licenses that spawn a lot of home versions, like quiz shows and popular movies. Mostly people just let one page speak for about a dozen different versions created by different developers and publishers for different systems, but it seems the opposite was the case here.

But hey, I got to work on the Super Uno page this week so it's all good.

Good god, you managed to step into the mobius loop and dismantle it. Nice work!

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#8  Edited By Yummylee

I went and put my stamp on the Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D page, to which I'm pretty happy with. Haven't been able to write up anything concerning its cooperative gameplay, though, as I can't go online with my 3DS... But besides that, for all of those people (who don't exist) that are interested in reading about that stand-alone Mercenaries game need look no further :P That, and I wrote up an overview for the Hydra Shotgun's appearances across Resident Evil.

One thing I've noticed that's a little more cumbersome than it should be is using a page's Overview when scrolling over 'Game Wiki' to better dart around different sections. It can sometimes prove to be weirdly difficult to keep it up without it disappearing right after, and should a page attain so much information then it gets to a point where the Overview can't summarise it all.

I also think that the list of Themes we have on offer is maybe a little short. There have been times with some games where I simply can't think of what Theme would fit the page.