Weekly Wiki Update - Saturday, August 2nd 2014.

bobafettjm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 69

Edited By bobafettjm

So I am kicking myself for missing this last week, but to be honest I really did not do anything wiki related last week. I am down to one week left before I really have the time to dig back in and I am excited.

No real goals to speak of this week other than the same old Steam Trading Cards, but I did end up randomly putting some work into the balance indicator concept page. I was pretty surprised when I stumbled on it that it was completely void of any information. I was trying to rack my brain to add more games to it, but only had a handful. If anyone else out there can think of more, then please add them.

Another project I came across is when I was working on that balance indicator page is that the original Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater had no more concepts, characters, ect. linked to it. I added some of the ones I could think of at the time, but I am sure a lot more need to be added back.

Steam Trading Cards

Boy oh boy did I pay for letting this go for two weeks instead of one. There was a ton of games adding cards these past two weeks. Luckily for the sake of time a lot of them at least had pages already created for them, and some other folks had already added trading cards to some. I did end up working on some of the pages a little bit that were already created that were completely bare.

Also this past week they added cards to the only MMO game I ever got hooked on, Ragnarok Online.

As always here is a list of games that I had to add:

So there it is, a double week edition of the “weekly” wiki update. As I said at the top I am coming up on having more time on my hands again so I plan on digging into my list of pages I have created over the last few years and really filling them in.

Also an idea that I have been toying with including in this blog series is maybe adding a community wiki task type of deal where maybe I spotlight a wiki page in need each or something? If anyone has any thoughts on this let me know.

Anyone else out there doing some wiki work, let us know!

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

#1  Edited By Slag

Hey guess what? Notifications work again!

I didn't actually do any direct work to the wiki, but I did put time into requesting a classification changes to page I worked on a lot

http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/delete-combine-requests-34/delete-moba-1490569/#11

I don't know what they will decide or if they can/will act at all, but I spent about half an hour formulating my argument for why MOBAs should be promoted to a genre. Very cool to get Jeff chiming in, that was very nice of him.

Sure man an official wiki task system would be great,your place has kinda become wiki editor conversation central. I think that's cool.

Besides you never know who might be lurking this blog. A concentrated effort to help say @mento fill @starfoxa 's SNES Quest I think would be a logical starting place.

Another idea might be to start smaller and say focus on just one franchise and really cover the bases. bang out the game/Franchise/People/Location pages with it etc and then when that's finished move onto another.

EDIT: I felt bad I didn't do anything so I removed all the instances of second person on the Sonic the Hedgehog page.

Mento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 212

#2  Edited By Mento  Moderator

Finished October '93 today; just two months left to go. Two new pages for horse racing/raising sims of all things. They seem to be breeding, so to speak.

The most amusing of the last bunch I worked on was a page you yourself had built up a bit: Super Nichibutsu Mahjong 2. For some random mahjong sim that was marketed as a "suitable for all ages" game, it sure does objectify women a lot. Just check out this screenshot where you select the gender for your create-a-character:

No Caption Provided

And there's girls in one-pieces and bunny suits on practically every menu too:

This one's just asking how many players you want around the table. I guess there was space left over?
This one's just asking how many players you want around the table. I guess there was space left over?

It made me laugh, anyway. Just how desperate were Nihon Bussan to sell their mahjong game? I guess it worked, because there's another two of these to go. (Apologies to ZP for all the half-naked animes.)

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

@mento said:

Two new pages for horse racing/raising sims of all things. They seem to be breeding, so to speak.

Knowing what both genres are capable of, you are in for some weird shit.

Mento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 212

#4  Edited By Mento  Moderator

@video_game_king: Derby Stallion II is only a few months away, if you're referring to Arino's inadvertent acts of horse incest in its predecessor. (Man, I'm really classing up the place with these comments. Sorry Bobafettjm!)

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

@mento said:

Derby Stallion II is only a few months away, if you're referring to Arino's inadvertent acts of horse incest in its predecessor.

I'm.....not? I'm thinking of a certain NES horse racing sim. That's also part hentai. I am not kidding, nor am I exaggerating.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

My biggest contribution as of late was a complete revamp of the page for Link. It entailed a lot of rewriting, reorganizing content, and adding information while just trying to make the whole page flow better. I'm currently in the middle of doing the same for Zelda and Ganon.

bobafettjm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By bobafettjm

@slag: I agree with getting MOBA as a genre, at this point it has been pretty much cemented as a main-stay I would say.

@hailinel: Nice work on that Link page. Great to see someone paying attention to those character pages.

@video_game_king: @mento: I had no idea how deep the horse sim rabbit hole went, it sounds.....well it sounds like something.

riostarwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 206

User Lists: 62

#8 riostarwind  Moderator

Continuing the trend of editing seemingly random niche games this week I took some time to fill out The Witch and the Hundred Knight. I figured it at least deserved more detail than just a small overview. The game itself is actually a fun action rpg too.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#9  Edited By Yummylee

Good job with that Balance Meter page! I was sitting there for about 5 minutes wracking my mind for more games to add... I'll definitely hafta to return to that page later on as I know there's some examples locked away in my memory somewhere :P

As for my own wiki'ing, I've continued working on The Evil Within page adding whatever else I can find out about it -- well, besides gameplay & story stuff as I feel I already know enough as it is. So at this point I'd rather discover everything else within (pun...) the game itself. It's weird how some small part of my excitement for that game is actually related to the opportunity to get to work on its wiki page some more.

Beyond that my other most notable contribution is to the Hitman 6 page; been following that game pretty closely for whatever details I can find related to its development. Same with the Uncharted 4: A Thief's End page, too.

bobafettjm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee: Nice work as always! I ended up finding some more games for the balance indicator page, which led me to games I had totally forgotten about like Downhill Domination. I have been making sure to capture images of the balance indicators and put them in the image gallery as I find them.