Weekly Wiki Update - Sunday, Sept. 27th 2015

bobafettjm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 69

Edited By bobafettjm

Welcome once again to the weekly wiki update. I almost forgot to do this thing this week, but still remembered on Sunday. I am not sure if there is any way to really tell if anyone is still interested in me doing these, but they shall continue on for now anyway.

The Pages

This week was not nearly as focused on hidden object games as the last few, but there are certainly some more.

I actually started off this week with doing an overview, adding some associations, and the system requirements to the Escape Dead Island page, which was all but empty.

Next up was another hidden object game in Enigmatis: The Ghosts Of Maple Creek. This one was already in the wiki but was pretty much empty so I pretty much filled the page out, including credits.

Then I took a strange turn and did a small amount of editing on the pages for the three main characters in 3 Ninjas Kick Back; Rocky, Colt, and Tum-Tum.

Then I moved on to the Japanese exclusive Game Boy Color game Zok Zok Heroes. I created the page for this quite a while ago, but when I went back to it I wasn't satisfied with it just having an overview so I added story and gameplay sections.

I ended up adding a couple of games to the Gamma Adjustment page that @beachthunder created. I am surprised this was not a page earlier. I know there are a TON of games with this in it, so please head on over and add them if you can.

Next up I went on a little run of adding/working on pages for some Xbox Live Indie Games. With these going away I thought it would be a good time to make sure as many of them are archived as possible. I added or worked on pages for Avatar Warfare!, Shark Attack Deathmatch, Press X to not Die, and Electric Racing Car. I also had to add some developers of these games.

While watching the quick look for Skylanders Superchargers I added an overview to the surprisingly empty page as well as a bunch of associations.

Another game I worked on some of the page for while watching the quick look was Afro Samurai 2: Revenge of Kuma. I ended up adding overview, gameplay, and system requirement sections as well as some various associations.

And last up this week were two hidden object games. The first was DinerTown Detective Agency which is a spin-off to the main Diner Dash series. The second was League of Light: Silent Mountain, which I totally filled in the page for and added the developer to the wiki.

Wrap Up

So there you have it, my activity in the wonderful world of wiki editing this week. After just a couple of weeks ago when I mentioned I thought more people were doing some wiki editing, I am starting to feel like that wave is already dying off somewhat.

I would love to know what makes people either decide to work on or stop working on the wiki. Anyway as always what have you been working on if you have been?

Mento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 212

#1 Mento  Moderator

Hey, didn't do much last week so I didn't reply to the update. Honestly, this current wiki project isn't particularly interesting: I'm going back to all the Famicom Disk System games I added a couple years ago and making sure they have header images (I wasn't a mod back then), correct image tags, full release info, etc.

Once that's done (should be about halfway through October) I'm going to work on the pages for the Atari ST games I've been covering on a weekly basis. Those pages all exist, thankfully, though many are skeletons.

I've got a few smaller projects after that, then I was thinking of returning to the PC Engine and finishing off its 1987-1990 period. I've already taken a huge chunk out of that library with all the TurboGrafx-16 games and from following Chronturbo, but there's still a lot more Japan-only stuff to cover within that timeframe.

Really, I'm just trying to put off Wiki Project: Super '95 for as long as possible. That's going to take another six months at least. It's a little intimidating.

bobafettjm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mento: I can imagine the hesitation on starting the Super '95 wiki project, that will be quite the undertaking. I think I am going to put off the hidden object games for a little while to try and get more of those Xbox Live Indie games on here first.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#3  Edited By Yummylee

Heh, so you're the reason for all these hidden object games and related pages :P Honestly it's the sort of genre that I imagine most people on here don't have a lot of knowledge about--I certainly don't--so it's appreciative to see you putting in the time to filling such a generally obscure and rarely brought up area of video games

Haven't done anything major myself. Just little things here and there, adding associations to whatever page I invariably stumble upon.

bobafettjm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee: I am fairly certain there is a new release of these games just about every week. There are companies that pretty much only pump these games out and nothing else. The sheer number of them on a site like Big Fish Games is daunting. I am trying to put a dent in it though, but as I go along I want the pages to be fairly filled out as well.

takashichea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 15

I like how you added system requirements table to Afro Samurai 2: Revenge of Kuma. It's pretty cool. Haven't wiki edit in GB since I'm more AV wiki editor. I never touch upon on franchises in GB. I was more of a character editor kind of guy (which contrasts my preferred works in anime, episode and franchises) Don't know what to add on franchise pages for Giant Bomb besides these things:

• Overview
  • Gameplay
  • Short list of characters
  • DLC

Plus, I remember some folks were upset that franchises were heavy with info. I didn't mind it because the wiki editors were working hard to make it feel complete.

bobafettjm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@takashichea: I would say those things are great, as well as any other information you can come up with. History of companies is always great too. More information is always better than no information.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Not all info is good info! There's a lot of plagiarism in the wiki, incorrect/outdated info, unintelligibly-written sentences, redundancy, and good ol' subjectivity. Just keep in mind, quality > quantity.

I added a couple of games - PewDiePie's game and Rinse and Repeat. And, as Boba mentioned, the gamma page. Also, the usual miscellaneous edits here or there.

I'm still concerned about the state of a lot of concept/object pages. So many of them seem to be slapped together back in 2008 (or so), at the time when people were desperately trying to add everything and anything to the site as quickly as possible. There are many pages that seem to have placeholder text / placeholder images.
Should system requirements be in a table or listed out under headings?

bobafettjm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@beachthunder: Sorry, I meant more GOOD, informative info is always better.

I tend to put the system requirements in tables if I can find both recommended and minimum settings. If not then I just put them under headers as I feel they look kind of weird with a lot less info. That is really just up to what you think looks better, if more people want it one way over the other I can switch how I do it.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

Nothin' for me, I tend to get super busy this time of year. WIll hopefully get a couple edits going again next month-ish

Cool to see you guys truckin on as you always seem to!

takashichea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

@bobafettjm:

History of companies - sounds interesting. I forgot to add:

• Other Media for video game adaptations of TVs, films, comics, anime, and more. Or adaptations of video games.

Would a merchandise section like special controllers, art books, custom console skins or handhelds (like in the 3DS's case) be good?

bobafettjm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@takashichea: I would say short blurbs on anything official related to a franchise would be okay, especially if there is an interesting story involved.