Avatar image for living4theday258
living4theday258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By living4theday258

So which would you guys prefer weight or slot inventories? I like slot based inventories better.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By 49th

Slot based, like Resident Evil 4. It's fun to rearrange. Weight based is the worst.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Clonedzero

both at the same time. yeah, im that hardcore baby!

as long as its intelligently designed i rarely have issues with inventories in games. then again, i dont like carrying a ton of crap with me. like watching the fallout and skyrim quicklooks and seeing that they carry like 50 pieces of armor at all times. it makes my OCD twitch lol.

the only game off the top of my head where the inventory actually bothered me was RE5. my god that was horrible. that entire game is horrible though, but taht inventory system, ugh.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By GERALTITUDE

I do like slot-based but I find sometimes the game isn't great at letting me easily move objects around. When you say slot-based, do you mean when all items take up the same space? Or RE style, where items are "weighted" in the sense that a pistol takes 1 slot and a shotgun takes 2.

I prefer weight. I don't like carrying a lot of items, and I like to pick and choose.

DeadVillager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By DeadVillager

I definitely prefer inventory tetris to having to worry about the kg's and potentially stacking strength or some other relevant stat onto a class that has no use for it other than the fact that I'm a packrat.

Draxyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By Draxyle

I like Resident Evil 4 slot inventory the best, where the size of the object actually matters.

One slot per item always seems silly. I remember in FFXI; an entire bed took up the same amount of space as a hat. You could carry 60 beds, or 60 hats, but god forbid should you carry 61 hats.

Weight seems like an appropriate solution when you can't quite program differentiating slots in. I remember it working reasonably intelligently in Baldur's Gate.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By Red

Weight-based, because it makes a lot more sense and adds to some immersion in the game. The only problem with the inventory system in Skyrim (or pretty much all Bethesda games) is that it's really hard to find someone who will buy your stuff. Even if they will buy all of your items, they rarely have enough money to do so.

_Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By _Zombie_

Slot. Weight might be immersive, but it's one of the of the few aspects of TES that has always annoyed the everliving shit out of me.

TheRealJpoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By TheRealJpoe

Weight. More "realistic!", but then again it's still like 200 pounds...

Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By Akeldama

I like the Dark Souls approach of letting you keep everything you find in your inventory , but having equip burden and a limited slots for active use items.

Liquidus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#11  Edited By Liquidus

RE4's style is probably my favorite inventory in any game which I guess, is a mixture of both considering different items have different sizes.

inkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By inkerman

Weight is more realistic, but it's more annoying than slot based, so...I dunno. Usually you're fine if you're smart with inventory management.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Clonedzero

@Red said:

Weight-based, because it makes a lot more sense and adds to some immersion in the game. The only problem with the inventory system in Skyrim (or pretty much all Bethesda games) is that it's really hard to find someone who will buy your stuff. Even if they will buy all of your items, they rarely have enough money to do so.

ah that drives me crazy when people loot EVERYTHING. money is such a none issue in skyrim ( or any bethesda game really) that i dont understand why people loot everything. in skyrim, i never have money issues, i can always afford anything i want (including the expensive houses). i never loot weapons and armor unless im going to use them. the only loot i take to sell is jewelry, potions, gems, and scrolls, stuff like that.

plus in context, its really weird the hero strips everyone he kills to their underwear. like creepy serial killer fetish weird. think about it man!

_Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By _Zombie_

@Clonedzero said:

plus in context, its really weird the hero strips everyone he kills to their underwear. like creepy serial killer fetish weird. think about it man!

All of my characters were creepy serial killers, though.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#15  Edited By musubi

I think you all are crazy. Slot based inventory drives me up a damn wall. I remember playing Deus EX:HR last year and having to spend tons of time trying to re-arrange my inventory just so I could pick up a rocket launcher. I shouldn't have to spend that much time micro-managing inventory. With weight its easy. You can quickly evaluate what are important items and what is just extra chaff your carrying and chuck it. Been playing Skyrim a whole lot and I never have an issue with that myself.

hawkinson76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#16  Edited By hawkinson76

I generally prefer slots (or simply max weight with no option to over-encumber), not because it is inherently better, but if you aren't able to make modeling encumbrance a fun and engaging part of the game, then skip it all together.

The old Steve Jackson pen and paper game Car Wars used slot based inventory for people on foot. The unit was "grenades", I believe you could carry 5 or 6. A gun=1 grenade, a one use Very Light Anti-Tank rocked took 2.5 or so. Then there was an issue of the quarterly Steve Jackson magazine with an amusing article about how silly and unrealistic that was, and offered a weight based alternative with over-encumbrance penalties. At first I was like "hell yeah, that is so rad!", but then I tried it, it really complicated a part of the game that almost never mattered. the distance and timescales of the game were not appropriate for considering people on foot (each second was broken down into phases, since cars cover so much ground each second), so modeling individual encumbrance was a ridiculous complication.

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By mandude

NEITHER. Yes, it's more realistic, but it is neither fun, nor intuitive.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Clonedzero

@Demoskinos said:

I think you all are crazy. Slot based inventory drives me up a damn wall. I remember playing Deus EX:HR last year and having to spend tons of time trying to re-arrange my inventory just so I could pick up a rocket launcher. I shouldn't have to spend that much time micro-managing inventory. With weight its easy. You can quickly evaluate what are important items and what is just extra chaff your carrying and chuck it. Been playing Skyrim a whole lot and I never have an issue with that myself.

when i played that, my friend told me to invest in extra inventory ASAP, cus it was super important. so i did. then he saw me playing near the end of the game and i opened my inventory to eat a candy bar or something i dont remember, and he was SHOCKED all i was carrying was the pistol and taser. i had like 3 sniper rifles worth of empty space lol

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#19  Edited By Justin258

@mandude said:

Let's find a game that lets you hold EVERYTHING!

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ShadowConqueror

I'm not sure which I prefer, honestly. One thing I do know is that I'd like to see someone come up with a more original way of dealing with inventory space.

NekuCTR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By NekuCTR

No inventory is the best. The best system is to insensitive you to go back to town often because upgrading yourself is so much fun. Putting a limit on how much you can carry is a conceit to realism, but if the average person would be selling their stuff off often, and doesn't end up carrying 5 truckloads of stuff it increases their enjoyment, and immersion twofold.

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By mandude

@believer258 said:

@mandude said:

Let's find a game that lets you hold EVERYTHING!

Final Fantasy. Ironically, there's no real use to be gained out of that feature in most of them.

Also, when I dungeon master, my party always has a pack mule. I'm counting that too!

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Justin258

@NekuCTR said:

No inventory is the best. The best system is to insensitive you to go back to town often because upgrading yourself is so much fun. Putting a limit on how much you can carry is a conceit to realism, but if the average person would be selling their stuff off often, and doesn't end up carrying 5 truckloads of stuff it increases their enjoyment, and immersion twofold.

I... what? You could definitely word this much better. From what I'm reading, it sounds like you're saying that the best system would be one where the player is expected to manage his or her own weight instead of being given a cap so that they don't wind up carrying the entire game's load on their shoulders.

Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By tim_the_corsair

Both

Avatar image for living4theday258
living4theday258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By living4theday258

@Demoskinos said:

I don't have an issue with skyrim's weight system because i can carry 700 pounds of shit! i thought Deus EX: HR was meant to be played stealthily, however i know they said while making it you could go in guns blazing... i think.

By slot inventory i mean something like resident evil 4.

spiceninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#26  Edited By spiceninja

Weight based is so much harder to sort through. I really hated it in the Witcher 2. I prefer slot based.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#27  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

Weight based, always, it's more realistic. Deciding what weapons to keep and which to throw away was a bitch in Stalker SoC. But that's precisely what made the inventory management awesome!

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Depends on the execution (I feel like I've been saying this in too many topics lately).

Weight can be good, but often the game offers you more loot than you can carry.
Its not always fun to go back to a dungeon or hideout to get loot and then back to the nearest merchant again, especially not multiple times or basically everytime you clear a dungeon (or halfway, for that matter).

Slot is largely the same however in most games, I feel like I need to sell everything I find but can't use and there's tons of games (Titan Quest, Diablo, etc) that offer much to sell even though the time/cost is often not worth it.

A endless inventory like Mass Effect 1's also isn't the answer however, I feel like sometimes games could use more clarification in what things might be handy later on or what's worth keeping.
I recently played The Witcher 1 and holy shit I picked up every fucking herb/monster part I could find and my pouch was full before I even reached Vizima.
And ofcourse, the moment you sell those freaking flowers you will meet a guy a hour later who needs them.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By napalm

@49th said:

Slot based, like Resident Evil 4. It's fun to rearrange. Weight based is the worst.

I loved doing that in Resident Evil 4. Since I'm super obsessive about the arrangement of my things, adjusting things in my case was pure bliss.

@Red said:

I think they do that to prevent you from picking up fifty pots and then selling fifty pots... over and over again.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 45

#30  Edited By Slag

Doesn't really matter to me as long as I don't have to spend hours just purging inventory that fills up too fast.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Subjugation

Weight by a mile. Slot based is so annoying. I don't find inventory tetris to be fun at all and it just makes less sense.

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#32  Edited By fox01313

Prefer weight based though nice to see slot based ones which will auto arrange. Weight just makes more sense to me & easier to deal with than playing fake tetris to get things to fit over just dropping a few things.

Avatar image for superwristbands
SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By SuperWristBands

Slots unless the inventory is, like, the perfect design in which I have no hassle moving around in it, then weight. I never have that problem with slots so I'm gonna go with that. Everything I need to see is presented to me in one screen.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The absolute worst is endless inventory. When my inventory is endless, I'm way more paranoid (more than I would be with limited inventory) about keeping it tidy and selling stuff immediately, because I fucking hate running into situations such as in Dark Souls or Mass Effect 1 where you have to scroll forever to find what you want or even to sell things off. (I know ME1 didn't have unlimited inventory, but it might as well have.)

Weight based is okay. I've never had a real issue with it, but it can sometimes be annoying if you're stuck somewhere and have to keep juggling items in and out of your inventory to avoid being overencumered.

Personally, I really like slot based. I don't mind RE4 style inventory tetris, I actually enjoy arranging my stuff around, but my most preferred way to manage inventory is the variation of the slot system where the size and/or weight of the object doesn't matter. Like...I have 15 slots, so I can carry 15 things. Borderlands or World of Warcraft style.

eternalshades

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By eternalshades

Depends on the game.

MMOs and diablo-like games: slots

"real" rpgs: Endless or weight (partially because that means there is no hard cap and you can just pull down the console and type player.modav carryweight 1000)

JRPG: Infinite slots with a maximum cap on individual types of items (i.e. 99)

Adventure: Endless. Have to be able to pick up everything usable whenever I see it and keep it until I can use it.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#36  Edited By musubi

@living4theday258 said:

@Demoskinos said:

I don't have an issue with skyrim's weight system because i can carry 700 pounds of shit! i thought Deus EX: HR was meant to be played stealthily, however i know they said while making it you could go in guns blazing... i think.

By slot inventory i mean something like resident evil 4.

Its been years since I played RE4 so I don't even remember how that inventory system worked so when you say slot based i instantly think old Resident Evil. As for DeusEX you can play it any way you want to. Its quite easy to gravitate to stealth but you can just go in and wreck shit if you spec that way.

Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#37  Edited By Kyreo

@49th said:

Yeah... slot makes sense. Weight doesn't. 400 cheese wheels in a back pack in skyrim? yeah... totally legit.

Jrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Jrad

How about a weight system based on volume? You need to wear backpacks or coats with lots of pockets. Every item has a volume, and if it's larger than the available free capacity of your sack or pockets, you need to carry the item in your hand or drop it. Oh, and the more you pick up the slower you move.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Slot based. Weight based always angers me at some point.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Justin258

@Jrad said:

How about a weight system based on volume? You need to wear backpacks or coats with lots of pockets. Every item has a volume, and if it's larger than the available free capacity of your sack or pockets, you need to carry the item in your hand or drop it. Oh, and the more you pick up the slower you move.

That sounds needlessly complex. Oh, I'm all for good complexity, but that sounds like it's just adding another layer onto the issues that this thread has already expressed a distaste for.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Aetheldod

Never cared really ... its the same to me :P

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#42  Edited By project343

Human Revolution and Resident Evil 4 inventory please. If it fits with the game and constricting player's carrying capacity adds to the experience, I want it like these games. Big difference with Oblivion and Skyrim's weight system is that RPGs tend to center around loot, have involved crafting systems, and require you to carry around quest items. Throwing a slot system in those games sounds nightmarish.

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#43  Edited By Nasar7

Wow, didn't expect so much love for slot-based inventories. Do you all really think having to play Tetris with your herbs, ammo, and rocket launchers is fun? Making a quick value to weight ratio decision in a weight inventory system is so much easier and faster so you can go back to playing the actual game.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#44  Edited By penguindust

Neither. Just tell me the max number of items I can carry, be they rings or elephants, and let me go from there. I'm not interested in figuring out slot placement or which is the cheapest item I can safely discard to meet my encumbrance allowance. I am willing to sacrifice realism for expediency. Let me play and not worry about this crap.

Chroma_Auron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Chroma_Auron

I tend to prefer weighted inventory. Slot based could easily mean a rocket launcher and a assault rifle having the same size. Weighted allows you to prioritize and can add some balance to games. You could go with the super powerful stuff but at a cost to inventory space. So if you have low carrying capacity at first, you don't want to go with the best thing at first but work your way up. Etherway it's not a big deal to me.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Ravenlight

Both! Thinking about combining the two gives me the warm-fuzzies.

TehFlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#47  Edited By TehFlan

Infinite inventory forever.