Weirdos who totally ignore single-player.

• 99 results
Rayfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Rayfield

I was discussing this with a friend recently who told me that his friend bought a game recently and completely dismissed the single-player campaign. Not because he'd heard anything bad about it, but just because he didn't want to play it. 

I had heard this view on single-player before. Not people who go straight to multiplayer when buying a game, but people who adamantly flat out refuse to play the single player story of the game. Like huh? What the hell is that? 

This is something that baffles me. Okay sure, you really like multiplayer. But it's not like you have to pay more for the singleplayer bit. You already bought it, it's sitting right there on the disc waiting for you! Why would you not? I don't understand...  

Dude #1: Man, did you get to that bit where the truck comes and the guy shoots the thing? 

Dude #2: EFF THE SINGLE PLAYER AND EFF YOU. 

Dude #1: Uhh...

Coombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Coombs

I am one

I just started MW2's campaign this weekend
BF:BC I think I'm a couple missions in
Same for CoD: WaW
Same for CoD: MW

Though I dont just flat out refuse to play them,
It's just when I turn them on I am instantly drawn to MP,
The only reason I have gotten as far as I have in the SP for any of these is achievements

Damien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Damien

Maybe single player ain't his scene, brah.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By MrKlorox

I'm not against the single-player of Bad Company 2, but compared to how excited I am for the multiplayer, I have virtually zero interest in the SP. But I'll surely play it once I take a break from the MP.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By shirogane

I do the total opposite most of the time. 

Well, i don't flat our ignore the multiplayer, i try it, realise after 5 mins that everybody online is a dick, and never touch it again. 

What game was this? I can't think of many games where you'd ust get it for multiplayer and ignore the single player. 

Halo or MW2?
InfiniteGeass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By InfiniteGeass

I think I'm about to totally ignore multiplayer to be honest. Maybe not completely, but I'm probably not gonna play it as much as I used to.

baconbits33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By baconbits33
@Rayfield: Well there's also the fact that most games nowadays have really sucky single player save for... RPG's and really well known fps's. Besides a lot of people just don't see the point in playing a 5 hour single player when they just could go play with their friends online since most games don't support playing campaign co-op. 

Now I love playing the single player, it gives me a feel for how to play the game.
MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MrKlorox

I notice those not into MP usually have an anime or otherwise Japanese avatar. Surely there must be a link.

Rayfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Rayfield
@Shirogane said:
"I do the total opposite most of the time.  Well, i don't flat our ignore the multiplayer, i try it, realise after 5 mins that everybody online is a dick, and never touch it again.  What game was this? I can't think of many games where you'd ust get it for multiplayer and ignore the single player.  Halo or MW2? "

I don't think matters in the long run, but I think it was MW2. But I've heard it about plenty of other games. I heard it about GTAIV once which blew my goddamn mind.
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By HandsomeDead

I always think it's weird when I look at the Achievements on this site and see people who haven't got the achievements for beating the tutorial and other really early game stuff. I understand people who dive headlong into mulitplayer but doing that without even touching the single seems absurd.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MrKlorox

Well for games like Battlefield which got their start by being multi-player only games, and began including a singleplayer campaign for the sake of it actually selling in the console market much later, it makes perfect sense to me. For games like COD which got their start with a solid singleplayer campaign (Medal of Honor), then it's a bit absurd to skip the SP.

But I'm a proponent of making both SP and MP options available for download  separately for half price of them combined ($30 each). I don't like putting a disc into the drive when I want to impulse play some MP.

Rayfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Rayfield
@HandsomeDead said:
"I always think it's weird when I look at the Achievements on this site and see people who haven't got the achievements for beating the tutorial and other really early game stuff. I understand people who dive headlong into mulitplayer but doing that without even touching the single seems absurd. "

True dat. I once saw this guy in MW2 online who had like 3rd or 4th Prestige and he completely destroyed anyone he came near. I looked up his Gamertag and he had zero achievements. I was like "huh wha?".
Mechaflash45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Mechaflash45

The only game I've really done this with recently is MW2, just because I hear that the campaign is really short, and nothing special. I'd rather be playing against others in MP than sit through a mediocre SP game as well.

kashif1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By kashif1

i have a friend who did that when i loaned him mgs4

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By MrKlorox

If this was a poll, the choice representing "depends on the game" would probably be 70% or higher.

Rayfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Rayfield
@kashif1 said:
"i have a friend who did that when i loaned him mgs4 "

WHAT THE HELL
armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

#17  Edited By armaan8014

Heh.. I never play the multiplayer..  love the skillfully crafted singleplayers instead.  and there are too many games to play, can't waste much time with the multiplayer.

Alphonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Alphonzo

But dude...was Halo 3's campaign really worth it?  I don't think so. As far as I'm concerned, Halo is good for multiplayer and nothing else.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By shirogane
@MrKlorox said:
"Well for games like Battlefield which got their start by being multi-player only games, and began including a singleplayer campaign for the sake of it actually selling in the console market much later, it makes perfect sense to me. For games like COD which got their start with a solid singleplayer campaign (Medal of Honor), then it's a bit absurd to skip the SP.  But I'm a proponent of making both SP and MP options available for download  separately for half price of them combined. I don't like putting a disc into the drive when I want to impulse play some MP. "
If i remember correctly, the first battlefield game had a single player campaign. The only removed it in 2.
@kashif1 said:

What...
Avatar image for firstbosscutman
FirstBossCutman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By FirstBossCutman

The only game I have really truly just ignored the single player on was the Orange Box. I just can not get into Half Life 2... although I thoroughly enjoyed Portal.  I've easily logged 50 hours into Team Fortress 2 though.

Rayfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Rayfield
@Alphonzo said:
"But dude...was Halo 3's campaign really worth it?  I don't think so. As far as I'm concerned, Halo is good for multiplayer and nothing else. "

Yeah that's one game. I'm talking about people who tell the single player to kiss their ass as a general rule for every game.
scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By scarace360
@MrKlorox:  hey i love single player and i like Japanese stuff so that's an invalid argument towards me.
Mr_Bubbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Mr_Bubbles
@Rayfield said:
" @kashif1 said:
WHAT THE HELL "
Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Seedofpower
@Damien said:
" Maybe single player ain't his scene, brah. "
Basically, some people just don't like a story and would rather just mindlessly shoot someone in the face.
Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#25  Edited By Gabriel

You can't bro out in single player

Rayfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Rayfield
@Gabriel said:
"You can't bro out in single player "

lol
TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By TheFreeMan

I can never understand not playing the single-player at all. Maybe if it's really terrible, or they come back to it after playing MP, but not at all? Crazy. I always start with the single-player first, and then when I'm done I play MP generally.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By MrKlorox
@scarace360: No you help prove my point. I said that people with Japanese avatars feel the same way about muliplayer. Not singleplayer.
rawrz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By rawrz

I tend to always play through the single player to get a better feeling for the game and an understanding for its mechanics. its a lot better then jumping blindly into the multiplayer and having no fun getting owned by people who have a better understanding for the game. I also play through the single player since these games cost $60 and id much rather play all the game has to offer and get my moneys worth.

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#30  Edited By sjschmidt93

Haven't touched MW2's single player. 

Guess I'm weirdo. 

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Barrock
@SJSchmidt93 said:
" Haven't touched MW2's single player.  Guess I'm weirdo.  "
You really should... Excellent and short.
MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By MrKlorox
@SJSchmidt93 said:
Only because you have an anime avatar while doing so. My theory fails.
therabidfrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By therabidfrog

The only time this has ever happened for me was Rainbow Six Vegas. I had so much fun the co-op that I forgot the game even had a single player campaign.

defaulttag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By defaulttag
@Rayfield: lol I let my friend borrow Uncharted 2. He only played the multiplayer. then returned it to me. weirdo!
Fbomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Fbomb
@Shirogane said:

" I do the total opposite most of the time.  Well, i don't flat our ignore the multiplayer, i try it, realise after 5 mins that everybody online is a dick, and never touch it again. 

Totally. Also, not just them being a dick, but requiring many hours to become competitive turns me off. I flat out don't have time to devote to a game in the stretches it takes to be good. There's only two times I've ever gotten good at a game in my life (as in, on the top 100 in ranked matches), both were shooters (Rainbow Six and Enemy Territory), and both times I had a lot of free time on my hands. Free time that I no longer have. Instead of getting into multiplayer, I finish off single player and head on to the next game. Once in a while I'll try online again, but it doesn't take long for me to say, nope. Not for me. 

Even Co-op isn't appealing, since I always end up with people that have played through multiple times, and just want to blast through/skip any story parts.

Oh well...
obiwan1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By obiwan1337

For me, I am not interested in a mediocre single player campaign.  If I am going to dedicate time playing single player, I'm going to do it in a game designed around single player.  It works both ways too, I'm not going to play multiplayer on a game that only has it as an afterthought.  Some games that I've never played single player include, Halo 2, Halo 3, Battlefield 2, COD Modern Warfare, COD Modern Warfare 2, Gears of War 2, and Chromehounds.  It also goes for pretty much any strategy game I've played, excluding Starcraft.  These games are just at their best in multiplayer and the single player just doesn't feel as rewarding as knowing that you are better than an actual person.  That's just my opinion though.

Rayfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Rayfield

@obiwan1337
said:

"For me, I am not interested in a mediocre single player campaign.  If I am going to dedicate time playing single player, I'm going to do it in a game designed around single player.  It works both ways too, I'm not going to play multiplayer on a game that only has it as an afterthought.  Some games that I've never played single player include, Halo 2, Halo 3, Battlefield 2, COD Modern Warfare, COD Modern Warfare 2, Gears of War 2, and Chromehounds.  It also goes for pretty much any strategy game I've played, excluding Starcraft.  These games are just at their best in multiplayer and the single player just doesn't feel as rewarding as knowing that you are better than an actual person.  That's just my opinion though. "

Thanks for the explanation of where you're coming from. I now have some very, very tiny insight into why this happens. But Gears of War 2? That's just weird.

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#38  Edited By Driadon
@kashif1 said:
" i have a friend who did that when i loaned him mgs4 "
I'm both confused and appalled.

I've done this with one game, and one game only: GRAW 2.
sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By sjschmidt93
@MrKlorox said:
" @SJSchmidt93 said:
Only because you have an anime avatar while doing so. My theory fails. "
My avatar is a joke. 

For more, see this thread.
CornontheCobbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By CornontheCobbe

Yeah just think of all those weirdos who play MAG and completely miss out on the Single-player......... >_^

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By MrKlorox
@Fbomb: Well such skills can overlap. For example exoerience in a a class based multiplayer shooter like Quake Wars Enemy Territory will easily overlap to Battlefield. Just like experience in singleplayer games.

Also ranked top 100 is pretty fucking hardcore compared to how most anybody plays these things.

@SJSchmidt93: Ah the naked cartoon pussy clause... so I'm still in the game! edit: I almost left the 'e' out of clause making it a mythical being that comes from the north pole if you've been a good little boy all year. Who doesn't want a visit from Naked-Cartoon-Pussy Claus?
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By iam3green

i find it weird also that people don't' play multiplayer. my friend only plays multiplayer in modern warfare 2. i kind of want to slap him for just doing that.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#43  Edited By natetodamax
Having an anime icon doesn't mean you hate multiplayer. Stop making ignorant assumptions
  @MrKlorox:
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#44  Edited By Hailinel
@MrKlorox said:
" I notice those not into MP usually have an anime or otherwise Japanese avatar. Surely there must be a link. "
That's the most idiotic statement I've read all day.
MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By MrKlorox
@natetodamax: Take a joke, child. Also try noticing the word 'usually' once in a while.
Avatar image for supersecretagenda
SuperSecretAgenda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Mr_Bubbles said:
" @Rayfield said:
" @kashif1 said:
WHAT THE HELL "
"
I think I played MGO after playing through the first act of MGS4. I sucked, sure. But hell, I think the mutiplayer was cool >.>
Huey2k2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Huey2k2

You know what I hate? Weirdo's who worry about what games other people choose to play and how they choose to enjoy them. Seriously who cares if someone doesn't like single player? Play it if you enjoy it, don't play it if you don't.

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By sjschmidt93
@MrKlorox said:

" @Fbomb: Well such skills can overlap. For example exoerience in a a class based multiplayer shooter like Quake Wars Enemy Territory will easily overlap to Battlefield. Just like experience in singleplayer games.

Also ranked top 100 is pretty fucking hardcore compared to how most anybody plays these things.

@SJSchmidt93: Ah the naked cartoon pussy clause... so I'm still in the game! edit: I almost left the 'e' out of clause making it a mythical being that comes from the north pole if you've been a good little boy all year. Who doesn't want a visit from Naked-Cartoon-Pussy Claus? "

Actually it has nothing to do with the NCPC.  

Try page 4.
Rayfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Rayfield
@Huey2k2 said:
"You know what I hate? Weirdo's who worry about what games other people choose to play and how they choose to enjoy them. Seriously who cares if someone doesn't like single player? Play it if you enjoy it, don't play it if you don't. "

WHEN THA PIMPS IN THA CRIB MA DROP IT LIKE ITS HOT DROP IT LIKE ITS HOT
WHEN THA PIMPS IN THA CRIB MA DROP IT LIKE ITS HOT DROP IT LIKE ITS HOT
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#50  Edited By Hailinel
@MrKlorox said:
" @natetodamax: Take a joke, child. Also try noticing the word 'usually' once in a while. "
"Usually" still implies a majority.